1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Days Of Towering, Bulldozing Offensive Linemen In Bill Parcell's Mold Are Over

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Onehondo, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    won't be surprising if our 2nd round pick is a lineman. I'll be surprised if we end up drafting the pass-rusher we all want to see. more likely we pick up some vet that gets cut in training camp. To give Philbin the tools he needs, we're going to have to draft a QB, lineman and WRs. and then hopefully 1 or 2 LBs

3. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    To be fair, he's saying those three guys are the only ones that weigh under 320 pounds, referencing the average of Green Bay's offensive line last season being 6-4, 314.

Jake Long fits anywhere, and I think he was actually a bit heavier than 320 last year.

Onehondo likes this.
  4. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think he's overstating the weight thing. Philbin wants guys who can move, but I don't think he's as rigid in terms of having some 320 weight limit. We did just sign Hicks at 325. My guess is that going in they have Long, RI, Pouncey, Murtha, Jerry penciled in as starters with Garner, Hicks as expected back-ups. They're obviously not thrilled with the right side, but seem content with the left side. I think they'll add one more guy in the draft to play the right side. It will be someone that has G/T flexibility. It could be early or late depending on how the draft breaks. Maybe a guy like Zeitler early or a guy like Joe Adams late. I expect the middle will be more WR focused, but if not, a guy like Brooks in the middle is a possibility.

5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think they'll be beholden to weight standards. Brandon Brooks as a for instance has zero trouble moving around and showed it with a blowout pro day. I watched him live at Shrine practices and he gets out to the second level as well as any and may even be the same caliber player as a Kevin Zeitler.

I think the weight will be a factor but I don't think they'll hesitate too much in making exceptions, as the important part of it is that you can move. If you happen to be a big guy that can move the same way the small guys do, all the better.

6. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    All that said, I do think they'll prefer a Riley Reiff to a Mike Adams, a Bobby Massie or Jeff Allen to a Kelechi Osemele, etc.

They'll take a hard look at plus athletes like Jeff Adams, Tony Bergstrom, Tom Compton, Donald Stephenson, Chandler Burden, Steven Baker, Desmond Wynn, Adam Gettis and Jack Cornell.

ssmiami likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    This correlates with a philosophy that I would adhere to if I was a GM, owner or coach..being overweight relative to your size is unacceptable, you get paid very well to perform at your highest level, and part of the job requirement is to train the body accordingly, and when your overweight, or carrying around a higher bod fat percentage then your body should have, then your not meeting the job requirements nor certain performance levels, not when the body is carrying extra weight that it doesnt need. There is not one logical reason why I should allow that if Iam cuttin the checks..

Bottom line, if you don't get what Iam saying as a player, you can go play for someone else.

8. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    love your sig... weeding or wilson for me. id rather not have ryan when we could get one of the other two and not have to use the 8th pick on them

9. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Like was previously mentioned, it's not a size thing. The Packers offensive line isn't particularly big or small.

Doesn't really mean a big turnover or shift in the guys we have now. I'm pretty surprised Incognito is as accepted as he is, he's really the guy I would expect to have the most issues.

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The reality is he's probably not long for this style but there's enough athleticism in his past that everyone would like to conveniently pretend we don't have yet another hole on a team that already has so many.

11. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Big or small, it doesn't matter to me. I just want this team to finally put five guys on the line who can actually play as an effective unit. They have spend tens of millions of dollars on this unit since Ireland became the GM and they basically have one pro bowl tackle, (Long), one above average center, (Pouncey), one mediocre guard, (Incognito), and a lot of question marks beyond that.

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The future? Midgets with backward hats.

13. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Does Pouncey fit the Parcells mold for a center?

14. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    With his size to athleticism ratio I would think he fits any mold.

15. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    The concept of the Parcells "mold" as it applies to at least the original article isn't all that sound. People treat it as there's some sort of philosophy that bigger is better, when it isn't really true. Some players are too big. There's guys on the roster that were inherited/acquired that are over-sized per what Parcells wants. Fat and sloppy is bad. The idea is that excellent physical talent in "big" players(but small as tight end/edge rusher) is rarer than in smaller players, so you should put a priority resource-wise on them.

Pouncey is closer in line to "ideal" Parcells than say, Vernon Carey was.