1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DB's 1st Round Mock v1.2

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DraftBoy, Oct 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    1. Cincinnati- OT Andre Smith, Alabama
    2. Houston- DE George Selvie, USF
    3. Detroit-CB Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
    4. St. Louis-WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
    5. Kansas City- WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
    6. Minnesota-QB Matt Stafford, UGA
    7. Oakland-OT Micheal Oher, Ole Miss
    8. Cleveland-RB Chris Wells, OSU
    9. Seattle-QB Mark Sanchez, USC
    10. Philadelphia-LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
    11. Jacksonville-OT Eugene Monroe, Virginia
    12. Green Bay-CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
    13. San Francisco-DT Sen’Derrick Marks, Auburn
    14. San Diego- LB James Laurinatis, Ohio State
    15. NY Jets-S Michael Hamlin, Clemson
    16. Indianapolis- DE Brian Orkapo, Texas
    17. Baltimore-DE Michael Johnson, GT
    18. Miami-LB Rey Mauluga, USC
    19. New Orleans-CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
    20. Atlanta-TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
    21. Chicago-WR Percy Harvin
    22. Arizona-DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
    23. Tampa Bay-DT Fili Moala, USC
    24. New England-RB Javon Ringer, Michigan State
    25. Dallas-WR Brandon Lafell, LSU
    26. Denver-FS William Moore, Missouri
    27. Philadelphia (From Carolina)-DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
    28. Washington-Brandon Spikes, Florida
    29. Buffalo-DE Greg Middleton, Indiana
    30. Pittsburgh-OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
    31. NY Giants- OT Ciron Black, LSU
    32. Tennessee-DT Vance Walker, Georgia Tech

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Funny, evertime I see

For some reason I think of Harry Potter...

The Rev likes this.
  3. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    No love for Malcolm Jenkins or Vonte Davis? Seriously doubt 1 DB goes in round 1.

4. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008

Mistake, no doubt about it. Editing now...

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  5. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    OK, so why do you have Michael Oher as the top tackle in college and Andre Smith as the first pick?

No-one is going to pick Oher anywhere close to that high. And I wouldn't feel comfortable having Mark Sanchez in my top 10. You're also relying on a pair of redshirt sophs coming out to make up two of your top 5 slots.

6. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Oher is my top Senior OT and Smith is my top Junior OT. I haven't posted any list comparing the two to date. So Im not sure exactly what you are talking about. I do like Oher more but Smith's stock is higher right now.

I dont like it either but Sanchez's stock has sky rocketed and right now that is how he is being looked at given how pathetic the Senior QB class is. Along with Stafford doing nothing to distinguish himself and I dont think Bradford is leaving Norman. I think both Maclin and Crabtree are going to declare both are losing their QB's and while both teams have weapons to help a transition their stock won't get much higher than it is now. And for Maclin the extra risk of being so much more than a WR injury wise makes this a smart jump. But its still very early, almost all of this is pure speculation as it will change 500 times between now and April.

7. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    I agree that Maclin and Crabtree declare

8. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I don't know if they will, but I'd love to get either one.

9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    If we keep winning I doubt we could :lol:

10. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would have thought the same thing, but all the WRs left at pick 32 this past year makes me leery.

11. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    But there was no Crabtree or Maclin in the draft :wink2:

Hey we might luck out and Crabtree falls to us :up:

12. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I would love to get a big target like Crabtree or Heyward-Bey.

13. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    You have a round 1 draft at the start of this thread and Andre Smith is the 1st overall pick. Again, why is Oher rated higher and yet Smith picked 1st. Makes no sense.

I don't think based on 4 games, one of which he looked awful, that Mark Sanchez is all of a sudden in the first round. It matters not what the quality of the class is. A mediocre QB made better by the surrounding talent is just that. If Oklahoma win the National Title, I could certainly see a scenario where Bradford declares.

14. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

I never have been more certain about anything in my life when I say that Miami WILL NOT draft Heyward-Bey in round 1.

15. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Because Mock Drafts are not based my rating system they are supposed to be based on accuracy. I could do it with my own opinions where I would switch Oher and Smith, and drop Sanchez a good bit, also raise Curry, Gresham, and have more WR's going in Round 1. Also I still don't understand where you are basing your statement that I have rated or ranked Oher higher. I never have, I dont combine Juniors into the class till they declare ranking wise. I rank them sepereately. Maybe you are confusing me with somebody else. I have never once ranked Oher over Smith, thats not to say I wont, but I just haven't yet. To do so at this point imo is somewhat futile.

Which game did Sanchez look awful in exactly? He's thrown at least 3 TD's in every game this year and never more than 1 INT. He's completed over 60% in every game also.I watched him play v. Oregon State, Oregon and Ohio State and he did not look horrible in any of those games. He didnt look great v. Oregon State and that last pass he threw was a stupid one but young players are going to make those mistakes and force plays. It happens to even the best players.

16. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008

Why so certain?

17. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Not with this FO :lol:

I won't be suprised if this year, again our draft will be made of more than 50% linemen.
    I can see us drafting a LB or two.
    A corner, definitely a corner, or a safety.
    Im not a big draft genious, but i doubt we will be picking a WR in first three rounds, unless somebody makes a ridicilous fall, or FO will snatch a hurt player (kinda like Merling) that will ball out.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  18. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Agreed, perhaps a LB or CB in round 1.

TiP54 likes this.
  19. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Surely you go with the courage of your convictions. You rate Oher more highly and yet you bow to outside influences and put Smith top. Seems a very odd way to do a mock. As an aside, Michael Oher will struggle hugely to go as high as you predict, given his past. There is a golf course full of red flags about Mike and teams will absolutely not want to give him Jake Long money, regardless of his current familial situation. That and the fact that he's struggled consistently.

You stick with your rating of Sanchez, that's fine. He's an average QB running a pro style system that accentuates his talent because of what he has around him.

20. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

We will absolutely not draft a CB in the first round. Of that I'm positively certain.

As for this mock, there's a couple of selections that quite frankly don't make a whole lot of sense to me. Phil Savage going RB in Cleveland who are in dire need of ILB help, have DE depth issues and only one reliable pass rusher? Can't fathom that pick. Detroit going CB despite having the worst trenches in the business? I mean, yeah, it's Detroit, but c'mon. Houston going DL early yet again, I don't see either and if Al Davis goes OT after the whole Gallery fiasco I'll be shocked. Not Al Davis style.

21. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Firstly, Ireland won't draft a WR in round 1 and more importantly, they don't need another project which is what DHB is.

22. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008

I still don't understand your point about Oher and Smith and you are basing it off what that I have wrote. I have produced nothing that says Oher is better than Smith nor will be.

Also what is the point of a Mock you produce? Mine is to be accurate. If I wanted it to be everything I liked, Id make sure Curry feel to Buffalo and Greshman to us in Round 2. But that would be stupid of me.

I never said Sanchez was a great QB, I asked you what game you thought he looked terrible in, which you still have not answered. Also many average QB's have succeeded in the NFL, some even have won Super Bowls. Him running a pro style offense now is a huge benefit to him.

23. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Jesus dude, you're making this much more difficult than it has to be. Did you or did you not write:

Mock drafts are about how you feel. You clearly rate Oher as the better prospect so have the courage of your convictions to go with that, especially almost a year away from the draft.

Is Sanchez running that pro style offense as handy as it turned out for John David Booty? He was very average in the Oregon State defeat.

24. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    One of the big differences in Cleveland between this year and last is that Jammal Lewis hasnt been nearly as productive. Wells (and Quinn) would possible give that offense the boost and burst it needs to put points up on the board. That D isnt 1-2 player away from shutting people out, but the O may be 1-2 players away from being really dynamic.
    Detroits lines are truly horrible, but so is that entire team if we are honest. A lineman would make a lot of sense as thats always a great place to start rebuilding, but they could any number of directions.
    Houston could easily go DL again. They want a player opposite of Mario Williams something fierce. They also need a CB horribly, but picking early with Selvie on the board he would be hard to pass on.

Al Davis is insane, god only knows what that lunatic will do lol! Though if Crabtree or Macklin are available, I dont see them being passed by. :up:

25. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008

Im not making it difficult, Im asking you to provide evidence of your intial claim because you are misrepresenting my view point, because I have not produced any evidence. I do like Oher more than Smith, but that does not mean he is a better player. Still a ton of scouting work to be done, and film to be broken down. So like Ive said from the beginning, unless you provide some quote from me that has Oher clearly ranked above Smith, your point is a misrepresentation.

Mock Drafts are meant for accuracy not for what I would do as each teams GM.

You mean that same offense that produced Carson Palmer too? Average is also not what you first said you said he looked awful, not average. I would agree with average, but certainly not awful.

26. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I disagree. I tend to follow the Browns quite closely because on of my friends is a Browns fan and I really don't think that Lewis is the problem or perceived as the problem by the FO. I also happen to think that there D is one or two guys away from being really good. They invested heavily in the DL and have a good core unit there. Their young corners are a lot better than most give them credit for. What they do lack is a pass rushing threat aside from Wimbley. They don't get any pressure from the ILB spot and as soon as the opponent takes Wimbley out of the picture, they are toast.

As far as the offense is concerned, they simply aren't as good a run blocking OL as they are in pass blocking. Steinbach was hurt, Thomas isn't a run-blocking beast and the right side with Hadnot and Shaffer plainly sucks. Plus, Fraley's more of a finesse center. While I don't think it impossible that they'll go RB in a later round, I'd be pretty shocked to see Savage use a high 1st round pick on a running back.

Yeah, but I really don't see how you don't build inside out if you're as bad as they are. It just makes the most sense to me to go OL/DL here. You have to rebuild both lines from the scratch and until you managed to do that, no position and no player is going to make you a contender.

They could but I suspect that this is going to be a make or break season for Kubiak next year and I think that in the end, they are going with a position that provides more immediate production.

Me neither. Crabtree is a guy Davis will be all over. He's a lunatic, yeah, but I don't see a stubborn guy like Davis going OT early again after Gallery.

27. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    The Browns D have really been missing their best player and best DB the past few weeks (Sean Jones).

28. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Ginn Jr. > Heyward Bay

29. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think Cushing of USC will go in the first round...I didn't see him on your board....I think he is just as good as Rey Mauluga, if Rey is taken off the board when we draft. My only concern with Cushing is he has had some injuries.

30. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Had some injuries? Thats an understatement. Kid wont play a down in the nfl, he will be injured constantly.

31. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Oh my God.

1. You say you rate Oher higher.
    2. You place Smith as the 1st pick in the draft.
    3. They play the same position.
    4. That's inconsistent scouting.

The evidence is in the quote. Again I ask, did you or did you not write:

If you didn't, I'd call Marty or Malcolm because someone's logging in as you. If you did write it, then there's your evidence in black and white and it says and forgive me if I'm repeating myself:

I'm not sure what else there is to say. Mocks are about individual assessment. At this stage they can't be based on anything else. And when you write:

.....it seems odd that you would then put Smith well ahead of Oher in a mock.

As for Carson Palmer and USC, I'm not sure of your point. Miami produced Jim Kelly. Does that automatically mean that Ken Dorsey is going to tear up NFL record books?

Answer: no.

32. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

He's a track star running routes. Or trying to. Not saying he doesn't have talent, but that's a LOT of work needed.

33. HysterikiLL

HysterikiLL Member

Nov 26, 2007
    ^Boy, did somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed/universe.

funkdat likes this.
  34. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I don't think we'd draft him either (probably 2nd not 1st anyways) but one can hope.

35. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Will defer to you on the Browns as I dont follow them that closely. I know they have a budding secondary, but if Selvie is off the board Im not sure who that high might be a big pass rusher for them unless they reach or someone steps it up in the offseason.

As far as Houston, I think THIS is Kubes make or break year. Certainly will be if they dont pick it up soon. They just arent able to mount any kind of consistency. On offense they really dont need anything unless they go QB or interior line. Their WRs are good 1-4, Slaton is the RB they have been looking for, Daniels is a solid TE, Leach a probowl FB.
    Defensively, if Jenkins/Davis are around they will certainly garner attention, but if not a good pass rusher like Selvie will be the first priority. They dont blitz much and rely on their DL to get pressure, so a premium guy opposite Williams is vital. They tried to do it by signing Antwan Odom but he isnt working out well.

And Davis, ye gods, who knows. Maybe he takes Wells lol! :)

36. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Keep an eye on Alex Hall as the opposite Linebacker of Kamerion Wimbley. He's a first year player out of St. Augustine. 6'5, 250 and has two sacks this year. He lit up training camp from what I know and they really like him.

37. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Your being inconsistent and you know that, lets work with the time stamp evidence. Your first post in this thread:

10-07-08 10:22am
    At that moment I had no ranked Oher ahead of Smith at any point, so there was your 1st misrepresentation.

Then I said on 10-7-08 11:50am
    Now as Ive said about three different times now, which you've have either choosen to ignore or not seen. Is that I (like most of the people who do Mock Drafts) do them for accuracy. So if a player who I have rated lower has higher stock, he may go higher. I dont do Mocks where I say to myself "Well what would I do if I was the GM of Team A." Its actually more like "well this is what I think the GM of Team A is going to do with this pick", based on depth charts, draft trends, stocks rising and falling, and other such things. So Im aware at this point that quite a few teams have Andre Smith very high on their board (hence why he is #1 in my mock). I do not include Juniors in my 09 NFL Draft rankings until they officially declare. Ask around thats always been my policy. So for you to continue to assert that I have actually ranked Oher higher than Smith is not only a misrepresentation of myself and the work I produce its also a little insulting considering Ive told you now this being the 4th time about how I do this. I dont really know what else there is to say about it until Februrary or March when my final rankings are released. You can continue to think I ranked Oher ahead of Smith if you like, however I never have and my rankings will continue to change on a weekly basis as I break down more tape and make more phone calls to people who are in the know.

Satisfied?

Oh and since I mentioned it, look for my mid-season postional rankings to be released tonight or tomorrow, with an added extra for all my friends here and at the BZ.

38. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Jesus.......this place has officially become amateur hour. Let me tell you something about the draft. NO-ONE has Andre Smith very high on their "board" because no team has a board yet. So the assumption that you're talking to people in the know is frankly ludicrous given that anyone "in the know" would tell you they have no draft board.

Did you or did you not write:

If the answer is no, contact the moderators. If the answer is yes, then.....well, I dreally don't know. I'd try giving this draft lark up as a lost cause and let the experts on the site deal with it, rather than spouting off.

39. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    I dont mean to be rude, but Dude are you serious? Teams have already begun compiling preliminary boards for drafts beyond just this one. Teams traditionally scout 3 years out. Do you honestly think people waited till last year to scout guys like Ryan and Long? I dont know what to tell you but your logic is not only quite confusing its also dead wrong. If you think you are right then by all means continue but if you think teams don't already have boards up, I honestly dont know how you think they are able to prepare in time for April.

As for the experts on this site, Im well aware of who they are and I was asked to come here by the administration here, which is why Im here. This is not my home, but I was asked to come here and talk about the draft and share my knowledge and thats what I do, every day pretty much. You may not agree with me and frankly plenty dont, but I am good at this, if I wasnt then I wouldnt be able to produce a guide that was downloaded over 10,000 times last season and used by people across the globe or be allowed to write here as a visiting guru. So while your poor attempts to belittle me and my work are noted, they aren't going to change anything. If you have a need to complain to an admin that you think Im a hack or something to the respect then by all means do so, and they can deal with it as they see fit, but I was asked to come here as a guest of the site, and Im fulfilling my obligation to all the guys here and the admins who invited me. So if you don't mind Im going to keep doing things my way, because Im good at it, Im right, and because it works.

Is there anything else?

funkdat likes this.
  40. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    Let's knock off the pissing match. There is no reason people can't disagree without being sarcastic.