1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DB's 2008 1st Round Mock v1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DraftBoy, Sep 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    1. St. Louis-OT Michael Oher, Mississippi
    2. Kansas City-DE George Selvie, USF
    3. Detroit-CB Malcom Jenkins, OSU
    4. Cleveland-RB Chris Wells, OSU
    5. Cincinnati-WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
    6. San Diego-WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
    7. Houston-OT Andre Smith, Alabama
    8. Chicago-QB Matt Stafford, UGA
    9. Indianapolis-DE Michael Johnson, GT
    10. Jacksonville-WR Percy Harvin, UF
    11. Oakland-LB Rey Maualuga, USC
    12. Minnesota-CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
    13. Seattle-OT Andre Smith, Alabama
    14. Miami-LB James Laurinaitis, OSU
    15. New Orleans-S Michael Hamlin, Clemson
    16. NY Jets-QB Tim Tebow, UF
    17. Atlanta-DT Vance Walker, GT
    18. Philadelphia (From Carolina)-OT Eugene Monroe, UVA
    19. Philadelphia-LB Brian Cushing, USC
    20. Arizona-TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
    21. Washington-DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
    22. Tampa Bay-WR Darius Heywad-Bey, Maryland
    23. San Francisco-QB Mark Sanchez, USC
    24. New England-OT Ciron Black, LSU
    25. Green Bay-LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forst
    26. Pittsburgh-OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
    27. Baltimore-WR Brian Robiskie, Ohio State
    28. Buffalo-DE Ricky Sapp, Clemson
    29. NY Giants-LB Brandon Spikes, Florida
    30. Tenessee-DT Sen'Derrick Marks, Auburn
    31. Denver-LB Marcus Freeman, Ohio State
    32. Dallas-WR Brandon Lafell, LSU

Note: This is not projected season finish, this is simply the current standings as ESPN.com has them listed.

2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not bad overall. Cinci going after Crabtree though with all those pressing defensive needs? And their OL sucks, letting Willie Anderson go was a horrible move. Or are you projecting them to snap up the hot commodity known only as ... MATT MILLEN!!

I like the Laurinaitis pick for us in that range, think hes great, especially if both Jenkins and Davis are gone. If our WR corps doesnt pick up though, I could see us snagging a WR like Bey or even Robiskie if he can pick it up. Im a bit leery of that position overall though. You have 5 going in the first round, 3 in the top 10. This is a position that has been very devalued over the last few years. Unless you have a Fitz or CJ who can step in and be a starter day 1 I see teams shying away from it. Though maybe they really think these kids can come in and play. Not that I expect them to end up that low either, but SD taking a WR? Havent seen them much this season, but has Jackson fallen off the earth again? He and Chambers were doing well into the postseason last year. Hard to see them passing on Johnson or Malauga/Laurinaitis for a WR.

3. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    As much Hype as Laurinaitis recieved last year, his stock is SERIOUSLY falling this year.
    IF Hamlin is still there, no way we pass on him for the aforementioned.
    I would be VERY surprised to see us not go either WR or Defensive backfield with the #1 this year. By far our most glaring needs.

4. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    He should have come out. Guess he wanted another crack at a championship, but thats over now. Should have thought of Michigan last year heh. Anyway, I expect it to sit around where it is now. Hes still a beast of a player, but OSUs issues this year wont help him.

5. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't think Robiskie will be a first rounder.

I think you might see 2 WRs go in round 1 this year and that would be Crabtree and Maclin.

6. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    :jump:

7. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

:lol:

I IMMEDIATELY thought of you when I saw that bro. :tongue2:

Motion likes this.
  8. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    On Tim Tebow, do you guys think Minny will give TJackson more time to develop or give up on him and draft a QB 1st round. I think Minny is a possibility to get Tebow because they are a QB away from a championship but not sure if they are willing to go through growing pains with Tebow or not.

me personally, I think they should go for a good Vet QB (if there is one in the FA market in 2009) to lead them and draft Tebow. TJ reminds me of another Vick. Kurt Warner is a FA in 2009 and Minny has a good OL to protect him.

9. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Interesting drop for Maualuga. I would think Browns could be interested.

Heyward-Bey could be a mid-low 1st rounder if he declares. Robiskie I believe will get at most a low 2nd and at least a 4th depending on his 40 time.

10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Yep. I think to date, Maualuga is definately the hands-on favorite for best LB in the draft.

However, much like Pat Willis, he could go anywhere from 7-18 I think. I dont think he has nearly as much upside as Willis, but a fierce hard-hitting sure tackler like he is will be a value to any team...

Man oh man why didnt we pick Pat Willis when we had the chance.. :pity:

Motion likes this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Was going to say that I can't see Crabtree going to Cincinnati but its a possibility despite their defensive needs. With their GM running the show ala Al Davis, they could very well go with Crabtree. Also, who knows if Houshmanzadeh will be back as well as Chad Johnson or Ocho Cinco, whatever you wish to call him nowadays lol.

RE: BuckeyeKing; As Regan said, Heyward-Bey is a possible first rounder. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Ravens go after him. He plays in Maryland and he's a vertical threat which Cameron is wishing for right now. He's very quick but very raw as well. He'll need a couple years to develop and with Flacco still developing, that could be a good fit for them.

Question for you DB. Why do you have the Vikings taking Vontae Davis? They like what McCauley and Griffin bring to them.

I wouldn't be shocked if the Texans went with a DB in the first. If Vontae Davis is available at that slot, I think they take him. Dunta Robinson hasn't been too healthy and I believe he's in his last year of his deal. He could be a goner.

Not trying to be a "Gator Hater" but isn't it somewhat early for Harvin and Tebow? Tebow has questions in his passing while Harvin has trouble staying healthy. A guy whose constantly injured in the top ten?

Lastly, I like the LaFell pick for Dallas.

Not a fan of Maualuga really. I think maybe Cushing could push him for the best LB overall (all LB positions) in the draft.

12. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    wow. you really like andre smith. yiou have him being drafted twice. cant see kc passing on a QB though they should. i dont see cincy going receiver unless they dump housh. even so, they need defense more IMO. raiders need dlinemen, olinemen or receivers but its the raiders so i could see them blowing the pick

if the draft broke the way you say, i dont think we would take laurenitis. i think we would go senderick marks or darius heyward bey from that list though i think percy harvin might also be available. vontae davis too if he lasted longer than you had him. i could even see us going ot monroe if we let carey go in free agency

good job overall

13. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    No way Andre Smith goes in the Top 10. If he does, I'll have to give up on the draft process.

14. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If we take Percy Harvin Ireland should be fired.

Personally I just dont see us going WR unless we are drafting low enough for Crabtree, or maybe Macklin. If neither of them are around, its LB or CB.

The Houston Andre Smith pick is a bit iffy as well. They just signed Winston to a monster deal, and just picked Daune Brown in the first this year, why another OT? Agree that Vontae Davis (or jenkins if still available) would be a solid pick, and they would love to find an end opposite Mario (Michael Johnson if still there).

Also, as bad as Schaub has looked, I wouldnt be shocked if they look hard at QBs, though Im not Kubiak would be able to do that and take the 2-3 years needed to develop him, Texans fans are getting antsy about sniffing the playoffs.

15. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I don't see Houston taking another tackle in the first round next year after they just drafted a left tackle last year. I don't see San Diego going with a WR either. Nor Arizona a tight end. Just a few things off the top of my head as far as positions vs team needs ;-)

azfinfanmang likes this.
  16. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    At this point I would agree. Still alot of football left to be played though. Harvin says he hasn't felt this good since 10th grade after his surgery, so if he can prove he can stay healthy the rest of the season and checkout okay at the combine he is definitely 1st round material. When 100% Harvin is one of the biggest playmakers in the nation.

As for Tebow, I still don't think he comes out early unless maybe they win the National Championship. That said, I still think he could go round 1 with the weak QB class. Not everyone "has questions on his passing".

17. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Im not a big college guy aside from watching stuff for draft purposes, but I heard he isnt playing superman so much this year and is doing a lot more dropping back and passing and managing games. Is this true? If he can prove he can gun it I think his stock rises a ton. I think there will be some teams picking low that will be looking at QBs this year.

18. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    That is true. His numbers have been way down due to running a more conservative offense and because they have so many weapons to spread the ball around too. He was 2nd in the nation in passing efficiency last season and supposedly spent all summer working on his passing game. They wouldn't let him run in 7 on 7 drills during camp. Granted, he was quoted as saying they haven't really opened the playbook much yet. That should change with LSU and Georgia coming up in the next couple weeks.

19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I may have worded something in my post, if I did, I apologize. I certainly agree he's a first rounder but I can't see him going top ten when he's constantly injured. I do agree that he's a first rounder though.
    That's true. I forgot to say *I* have questions. Sorry bro.

Motion likes this.
  20. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    :up: Its all good. I wasn't referring to you in particular. I know there are plenty of people out there that don't think he'll make it as a QB in the NFL. Time will tell.

21. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    :pointlol:

Poor jets :tongue2:

J/K

22. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Let me try and address some of the questions/comments Ill get to them all though I hope.

-I dont think Cincy keeps both TJ and Ocho and could lose both. This will be a pick to keep Palmer happy for the moment.

-Im dropping Robiskie in the next version (due out next Monday), I think Maclin, Harvin, Crabtree, Heyward-Bey, and Lafell are all 1st Round talent WR's at this point. And Maclin is closing the gap between he and Crabtree.

-San Diego taking Maclin gives them a guy that is not only an incredible ST'er but also could be a huge mismatch in the slot. I think them taking Davis two years back was a mistake.

-I think Tavaris Jackson could still be a good NFL QB, but he was rushed in Minnesota. I dont think MIN would take Tebow he doesn't fit their offensive philosophy.

-I dont think McCauley or Griffin are going to be NFL starting CB's on the level of Davis and he's too good to let fall any further. Minny ranks 20th in the league in pass defense and Griffin isn't scaring anybody. 11 tackles and only 1 pass defended so far, he's been a constant target.

-The Houston Texans pick was a mistake, it will be corrected

-As was Andre Smith

-I personally saw Tim Tebow this spring down in Gainesville throwing the ball and there is no doubt he can make the NFL throws, the only question I have is whether he can take the NFL hits.

If I missed anything point it out and Ill respond/answer. Version 1.1 comes out on Monday!

23. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Nice rundown, looking forward to monday :up:

Cinci will be interesting. They will almost certainly have a new coach, I think Lewis lost this team, and I dont think he will get it back. And as many concerns as they have on defense, its hard to go offense. And even with offense, you think Palmer would maybe appreciate a guy like Oher more than Crabtree? Leting go of Big Willie was a horrible move on their part. Sad to see a team waste such a good QB.

San Diegos D has performed horribly this year so far, though a bit better against the Jets than against Car. and Denver. If Denver lights them up again, or the Raiders run for over 200 yards and a few other teams maul them, they should look for D. ...... Not that I or anyone else really expects them to pick top 10 lol :wink2:

I dont know if they go with Tebow, but Jackson is terrible. They need something at QB and personally I dont think its him. Anyone know what the FA market for QBs will look like in the offseason? Aside from a washed up Favre at any rate ...

Texans are a tough team to gauge. Solid overall, but need a few holes filled on D, and will have to go through the season to see if Shaub can right himself.

24. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007

I think many teams are shying away from drafting a WR in the first round no doubt there might be 3 taken (Crabtree, Maclin, Harvin) in 09 draft but I don't see that many going because WR are a risk in round 1.

Your not giving Robiskie enough credit, he is a solid possession WR with nice hands and great route running, he lacks that break away speed but he might be far more developed than most WR's at the college level.