1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DB's 2009 1st Round Mock v. 1.1

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DraftBoy, Sep 29, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    1. St. Louis-WR Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech
    2. Cincinnati- OT Andre Smith, Alabama
    3. Houston-CB Malcom Jenkins, OSU
    4. Detroit-CB Vontae Davis, Illinois
    5. Oakland-WR Jeremy Maclin, Missouri
    6. Cleveland-RB Chris Wells, OSU
    7. Kansas City-DE George Selvie, USF
    8. Minnesota-WR Percy Harvin, UF
    9. Indianapolis-OT Michael Oher, Mississippi
    10. Seattle-QB Matt Stafford, UGA
    11. Miami-LB Rey Mauluga, USC
    12. Atlanta-DT Sen’Derrick Marks, Auburn
    13. Chicago-QB Mark Sanchez, USC
    14. Philadelphia-LB Aaron Curry, Wake Forest
    15. NY Jets-QB Tim Tebow, UF
    16. San Francisco-LB James Laurinatis, Ohio State
    17. Jacksonville-WR Darius Heywad-Bey, Maryland
    18. Green Bay-TE Jermaine Gresham, Oklahoma
    19. Arizona-DE Tyson Jackson, LSU
    20. San Diego-DE Michael Johnson, GT
    21. New Orleans-S Michael Hamlin, Clemson
    22. New England-OT Ciron Black, LSU
    23. Pittsburgh-OG Duke Robinson, Oklahoma
    24. Dallas-WR Brandon Lafell, LSU
    25. Denver-FS William Moore, Missouri
    26. Philadelphia (From Carolina)-OT Eugene Monroe, UVA
    27. Washington-CB Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
    28. Tampa Bay-DT Fili Moala, USC
    29. Baltimore-DE Brian Orkapo, Texas
    30. NY Giants-LB Brandon Spikes, Florida
    31. Buffalo-DE Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
    32. Tenessee-DT Vance Walker, Georgia Tech

Note: This is not projected season finish, this is simply the current standings as ESPN.com has them listed

azfinfanmang likes this.
  2. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    props to coming around to how good Senderrick Marks is. Was really surprised how low you had him last time out. St Louis could go any one of ten directions with that pick and Crabtree is an option. My guess is they'll go OL or QB, Oher or Monroe would be the best fits IMO but I could see them reaching and going Stafford. If Bradford comes out they'll go that route IMO. Crabtree is a possibility though, just a longshot I think. I have Andre Smith as the 3rd best tackle but I havent seen Monroe yet so I'm just going off of reports that He's better than Albert and DBrckshaw

3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Sounds reasonable at a glance.

4. Motion

Motion New Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Not bad, nice to see Brandon Spikes up there. He's been playing very well.

5. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Nice job DB.

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Much better than the first one imo.

Mauluga would be a MONSTER in our Defense IMO.

Very good job DB. Much much better than I could do.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think St. Louis goes with an OT. Remember, they wanted Jake Long bad in last years but Miami took him first overall.

I wonder how Selvie would fit in KC. They need a MLB really bad after poor play from Napolean Harris. Selvie could be an OLB or a DE. He will need to put on some weight at the DE spot but maybe not too much. There have been Defensive Ends who play around the 245-260 range such as Terrell Suggs and Jason Taylor.

A question regarding the Chargers Michael Johnson pick. He has a lot of potential but doesn't have much experience. Why do they take him at that spot? They have Olshansky and Castillo there unless your looking at them moving Johnson to OLB which I don't know if it will be a good fit.

I'm still not a fan of the Maualuga pick to be honest. I just don't like his game as much as everyone else. We could look at a Nose but I'm not sure if anyone can fit it. Maybe Moala? (but it may be too early for him). I haven't seen much of Marks, can he play the Nose?

Heyward-Bey and Tyson Jackson really impress me. HB is really raw though so it may take a couple years for him. I liked Jackson a lot against Mississippi State on Saturday. He was in on every play and was pressuring the QB. I also really like William Moore. Really impressive player.

Good job with the mock man, keep 'em coming. I enjoy your work. :up:

8. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    It'll be up to the new coach and GM. I know they need OT help but Holt's likely gone and they'll need WR help too.

I don't like Maualuga because of where he plays but I do think he's a playmaker in the D. Now the Oregon St. game wasn't pretty for $C and Maualuga, but I'm willing to see if he bounces back. As for Moala, I wouldn't use anything higher than a high 2nd round or very low 1st on him. He can be very inconsistent and not an explosive guy. Also got arrested too I believe (well, he's from $C, no big surprise there). He could be a nice DE guy but not sure if he can play the NT spot.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true but I think they almost have to go with an offensive linemen. What good does an WR do when you can't get any time to block?

As for Maualuga, I don't like him that much because he hits the wrong holes, he can play himself out of position and then I have questions about his shed blocking. I've asked the gurus here what they thought about it and they said he did it pretty well. I just don't see that. In college, he just tries to blow up the offensive linemen and then continue running downhill. He won't be able to do that on a consistent basis in the NFL imo. As Boomer pointed out, he also has character issues. But he can make a play back there like you said and that has to be noticed. I can't speak for anyone else but he wouldn't be my first choice with our top draft pick.

I was going to say Moala is inconsistent but I haven't see a lot of him so I wasn't confident in my opinion. Thanks for clearing it up. :up:

10. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Plenty of guys later in the draft that look good at OL and a dynamic threat like Crabtree is hard to ignore.

Maualuga has improved in terms of getting in position, his character issues (which I think he's bounced back from), and ability to shed blockers and you don't need gurus to tell you that. He's a wholly different backer than say Laurenitis. If Laurenitis is like a bigger Zach Thomas all over the field, smart guy, then Maualuga is more like a James Farrior.

I've seen games where Moala just blows up the OL and I see games where he really gets manhandled by a C. The Oregon game is a huge warning flag for me. Could not stop Jonathan Stewart and could not stop the QB run (which has been a bit of a weakness for $C).

11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's true.

I hope he's improved from that. I watched video from last year and he didn't impress me as much as some said. I haven't seen barely any video this year so I'll take your word for it.

12. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I've seen enough $C games to make me a Condom-Brand follower. Maualuga was battling some injuries but again, he's not a solid cover-the-field, always on the ball, kind of LB. He's just a playmaker and gambler. Sometimes he will look bad and out of position, sometimes he makes the play. He would be a nice complement to a guy like Crowder, who can go sideline to sideline, with his playmaking ability and intensity. Just don't ask him to cover and recover if the QB takes off. He will miss filling a hole but when he does, he makes things happen.

alen1 likes this.
  13. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Moala has a nice burst. I think his best fit is in a 4-3 paired up with a fatty who stops the run since his game is shooting the gap. He might make the transition to 3-4 DE but he's probably best suited for 4-3. He would be a good fit in Oakland where they need a that type of DT

DraftBoy likes this.
  14. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Agreed. But Kiffin's about to be canned in Oakland so the U$C connections might not be in the mix. And they have a pretty good DL in Oakland right now. They're getting pressure and somewhat ok handling the run. They need a better DE to line up with Burgess but their DT's look pretty decent to me in terms of pass rushing. Could use a better run-stuffer than Warren but still nothing to laugh about. Of course, I still think QB, LT, WR, and RT are their main concerns.

15. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Isnt McKinnie on the outs in Minny? If so, they might take a hard look at Oher. Still think they might go after a QB, I dont trust Jackson even a little bit. KC also might be in need of a QB.
    Green Bay I think might take a S like Hamlin. Bigby has a tendency to make some big plays, but also gets burned a fair amount. Nick Collins is standard stuff, nothing to write home about. Also DT, which is light in the draft, or DE. Other than that, very nice mockup, hit lots of needs, good players moving up, bad performers moving down, all youd expect! :up:

DraftBoy likes this.
  16. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    They wanted Long badly yes but I dont know that Oher, or Smith compare to Long at this point. Smith looked good this past Saturday against UGA but was outshined by OC Antoine Caldwell. Oher played very well against both Cunningham and Dunlap v. Florida as Ole Miss only gave up a total of two sacks (Cunningham and Dunlap got a .5 each and Spikes had his own) I dont think any of the sacks were on Oher though.

Im not the biggest fan of DHB but Im coming around on him and I think Jackson is probably the #1 pure DE in this class.

The Johnson pick to SD is an intriguing one give Merriman and Phillips being there but this kid will need time and can play up or down with his size. He presents huge matchup issues against a TE or RB forced to block him, but he falls this far because his production has been extremely lackluster to date. It may not happen but I think its a very intriguing pick.

I dont like either Rey or James to be honest with you but for different reasons, I dont like James because he can't get from sideline to sideline and I dont like Rey because he relies too much on his athleticism.

On and thanks!

alen1 likes this.
  17. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Hard to say with Minny right now really...If Childress gets the axe they likely go QB depending on who is out there. If he doesn't they wont go QB and another target would be nice. I didnt think Berrian was going to tear it up in Minnesota all the sudden, I thought it was an overpayment by then and Rice has not panned out thus far.

KC may but they got so many other holes and I wouldn't be shocked if LJ demands a trade.

Yea safety is an option in GB but I think they can't miss on a dynamic TE prospect like Gresham at this point. Just adds too much to their offense to pass on.

DT is not that light imo, amongst just seniors you have: Terrance Taylor, Fili Moala, George Hypolite, Brandon Nicolas, Jeff Owens, Terrill Byrd, Peria Jerry, Vance Walker, Myron Pryor, Evander Hood, Demonte Bolden. Then you throw in Juniors and you add in guys like Sen'Derrick Marks, Vince Oghobaase, Geno Atkins, Gerald McCoy, DeMarcus Granger, Ekom Udofia, Rick Jean-Francois, Al Woods to name just a few. That's 19 DT's (11 for sure, 8 potential), and also keep in mind only 16 total DT's were even drafted last season. I think the DT class is pretty good imo.

18. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I dunno, I think even if Childress stays, they'll still look for a QB, but maybe not in the 1st round. And he could go with Sanchez if they're in range to pick him. I always felt Sidney Rice's troubles were due to the QB position because he can break out with good games and can grab passes in the end zone. He showed some flashes last year and I think in the right system, he can be an effective starter.

19. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Sam Bradford declaares IMO. I think they win National Championship and he declares

20. RealDriscoll

RealDriscoll Banned

Jan 9, 2008
    Baltimore will not be drafting that late by any means. They have not beat anybody. The Bengals and Browns are bad teams

21. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Hes just going by official record at this point, not speculation.

DraftBoy and Motion like this.
  22. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008

Big if at this point with how good the Big 12 is.

23. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    You really think the 49ers would go back to back MLB? Man. San Fran would have Laurenitis and Willis in the middle with Lawson on one end. And I would be drooling.

24. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    And Peterson. Would be a nice LB corps to be sure. Wonder if they look at QB, hard to believe JT is the long term answer there. Maybe need some OL help as well, or WR.

25. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    9ers wont draft JL unless they want a indecisive LB in pass coverage.

26. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Brian cushing is a stud first round pick, him not being there is very mysterious, i might even take him over muluaga

27. DraftBoy

DraftBoy New Member

Mar 31, 2008
    Brian Cushing is a guy I wouldn't touch till Round 4. He is a good pass rusher but doesn't have the speed to get to the QB in the NFL on the outside. Not a good cover guy and not a great tackler. He is by far outshined by Rey and Clay and benefits from playing with a lot of other star players. You won't see him in Round 2 of my mock when I start doing that one.

28. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Why would I want a guy that is made out of glass? He is going to be injury prone at the NFL level.