1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DBZ or Street Fighter?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014

Got to be kamehameha, right?

JDelenne and KeyFin like this.
  2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    That was one of those "aaah douken" fireballs!

3. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    They're both similar, no way to tell from the position - did anyone hear him asked about it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The younger generations are probably more often thinking of DBZ over Street Fighter, would be my guess.

Tone_E and KeyFin like this.
  4. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I had no idea what you meant by DBZ until I read through, lol. But Street Fighter 2 came out when I was in HS, so I was the exact age to be completely into it for a while in the early 90s.

KeyFin likes this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I know there are a few anime fans on the Miami Dolphins. Though in college both DBZ and Street Fighter were popular. So I don't know if the younger generations would be that much different than my generation.

KeyFin likes this.
  6. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I have the classic mini street fighter console (and Mortal Combat) in my man cave...but unfortunately we never use it. The nostalgia wore off in about a week, LOL. Visiting kids think it's the neatest thing ever though so it does get some use.

Tone_E, resnor and Unlucky 13 like this.
  7. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I downloaded the newest (or one of the newest) SF games as part of PS+ last year, and found that I had absolutely no interest in playing it at all. That was cool when I was in school, but for me its all best left back there.

KeyFin likes this.
  8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I havent seen that first gif you posted if Ryu since i was in middle school 20 years ago lol i used to play xmvsf/mvc2 all morning and night on off days..

resnor and KeyFin like this.
  9. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I want to say Kamehameha, but I'm a bit biased.

10. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Gotta be DBZ.

11. Dolphin Dundee

Dolphin Dundee Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2015
    DBZ! Street fighter fireballs only went straight across he is clearly aiming at an angle.:smile:

KeyFin likes this.
  12. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    Did a bit of searching and found this:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2018/02/welcome_to_new_england_patriot.html

"It comes as no surprise that defensive tackle Adam Butler, and to a lesser extent defensive end Deatrich Wise, are anime fans. The duo picked up the group nickname Goku (Wise) and Vegeta (Butler) earlier this year from kicker Stephen Gostkowski after the famous rivals from Dragon Ball Z. They even celebrated a sack together by acting out a "Kamehameha" wave, which is Goku's signature move in the show.

While Wise said he has a general knowledge of anime shows, it's Butler who knows just about everything there is to know. One might say his knowledge level is "over 9000."

"Adam is the head honcho," Wise said.

For Butler, there is no place in the world he would rather travel than Japan. He would love to see the Nijo Castle in Kyoto. His favorite flower is the cherry blossom. His favorite anime series is "Naruto."

"I don't read the manga anymore because the Shippuden series is over," Butler said. "Now we're into Naruto's son, so what I do is I don't watch it for multiple weeks and let them build up so I can binge watch later.""

So it seems pretty certain this is DBZ.

invid, KeyFin and Silverphin like this.
  13. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Except that art is in the eye of the beholder...and I say it's street fighter! Aaah Ooh Giiinnn!

14. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    https://www.patriots.com/news/passion-for-anime-bonds-patriots

He's done it before. It's Dragon Ball.

"When Deatrich Wise Jr. and Adam Butler celebrated a big defensive play against the Jets on Dec. 24, 2017, they made a lot of anime fans happy with their chosen celebration.

Instead of a high five or a dance, the then-rookies opted for a more memorable celebration, an homage to one of their favorite shows -- "Dragon Ball Z." Channeling the iconic Kamehameha energy attack, Deatrich and Adam put their hands together, as if holding a baseball, wound up and pushed it forward, opening their hands up.

"It was planned," Deatrich said. "We were talking about it one day, and then Adam was like, 'Our next sack, we got to hit the Dragon Ball Z.'""

Dude loves his anime!

"In the New England Patriots’ locker room, defensive end Deatrich Wise Jr. and defensive tackle Adam Butler, both 26, said they discuss “Dragon Ball Z” every day. Their friendship began as rookies in 2017, when Butler wore apparel with a design from another anime series, “Naruto.” Players said anime is often brought up in conversations with new teammates.

Butler calls Wise “Goku,” because, like the “Dragon Ball Z” character, Wise is goofy but becomes serious during training. Wise calls Butler “Vegeta,” Goku’s companion, because he and Vegeta are serious and determined.

Goku and Vegeta are members of a race called Saiyan, which villains discriminated against, and later nearly annihilated, because they feared its members’ potential as fighters. As a Black man growing up in a country where the majority of superheroes are white, Butler said he admired the Saiyans. Goku and Vegeta later unlocked that potential, calling the power-up a Super Saiyan, which pushed Butler to unleash his potential as an athlete."
    (https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/02/03/dragon-ball-z-nfl/)

Also this is doesn't have a lot of detail but sounds like he was just asked about it:

15. Galant

Apr 22, 2014
    That said, I've never been a DBZ guy myself. Street Fighter is what I grew up with and what first came to mind when I saw it.

KeyFin likes this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

This video confirms DBZ

Tone_E likes this.
  17. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Never played either. In my Megadrive and SNES days I was more of a Sonic, Desert Strike, Quack Shot fan (don't laugh, Quack Shot was brilliant!). And Madden of course. Without wanting to derail the thread too much, does anyone remember Joe Montana Sports Talk Football? Pants gameplay and graphics but it had commentary and was a bit of a WOW! at the time. "Big hole!" :chuckle: