1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dead Island

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by ether79, Sep 16, 2011.

1. ether79

ether79 ****

Dec 21, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    I am seriously debating picking this up for the PS3 but was wanting to hear from anyone on here who might have played it? Can a fella get a review?? :knucks:

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Anyone else play this? I am disappointed. The graphics are nice, and the theme is cool. Even a decent storyline. But the one major factor that would make or break such a game is weak...the zombie bashin.

Attacking a zombie with a cleaver is hardly different than attacking with a paddle or crow bar. its all too similar and more importantly, not fun. Killin zombies is a chore in this game. They need to make killin zombies fun, and awesome. Anyone else have an opinion?

3. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    you smell like cigars, 9 dollar pints of microbrew and Jersey....

ToddPhin likes this.
  4. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Get out of my house!!!

John.Y and finyank13 like this.
  5. John.Y

John.Y New Member

Sep 13, 2012
    I agree with sethdaddy. The game was fun in the first 20-30 min and then it was kind of all the same. In addition, it had a few glitches, like on the x-box 360 i got stuck in a small hut next to the lake and couldn't get out. It pissed me off soooo bad that i stopped playing the game. An interesting alternative is "left 4 dead 2" that was quite fun with all the guns and melee weapons to choose from.

Sethdaddy8 likes this.
  6. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    i picked up this game a few weeks ago at Red Box and then bought it used at Game Stop. Totally addicted to it. Love open world games and this certainly fits that bill. Enjoy the storyline of trying to get off the island and all the missions you're sent on to make it happen. To me, weapon scavenging and using the plethora of weapon mod blueprints to upgrade them is half the fun, and if killing zombies felt like a chore you can always switch to the analog control mode.

BTW, once you have some impressive modified weapons in your arsenal like the 5 Developers Craft weapons or a poison-bladed Legendary Wakizashi that cuts like butter, killing doesn't feel as chorey, and there grows to be some skill involved b/c different weapons & mods work better on certain zombies, or you can just blow 'em up with grenades and deo bombs. Some modifications or weapon types work well in combination, too. For instance, you can throw a poisoned bladed weapon into a thug and then either shoot him with an explosive bullet or slice him with a heated blade and he'll catch on fire. Plus once you're on the 2nd & 3rd maps there are missions that involve killing gun-wielding human adversaries that make for a nice chance of pace.