1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Debit-Card 'Skimming' Scams

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-bu...t-card-skimming-scams?mod=bb-checking_savings

Here's how you can protect yourself:
    Don't Type in Your Pin at the Pump
    Be especially vigilant at gas stations, Litan says. "Gas pumps are notorious for skimming because they're produced by only a couple of different manufacturers, and if someone gets the key to one from a disgruntled employee, they can insert a skimming device inside the pump where it can't be seen," she says. She recommends using a credit card rather than a debit card when you fill your tank.
    If you must use a debit card at the gas pump, choose the screen prompt that identifies it as a credit card so that you do not have to type in your PIN. The purchase amount will still be deducted from your bank account, but it will be processed through a credit-card network, which will give you greater protection from liability if fraud does occur. This is because card issuers typically have "zero liability" policies for both debit and credit cards, but sometimes exclude PIN-based transactions from that protection.

sking29 and NaboCane like this.
  2. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I've only been to one gas station that wanted my pin. Most treat it as a credit card so I now see what a good tning that is.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  3. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Your more likely to have it ripped from your local sub shop or corner store. Thieves distract the clerk while they swap the pin pad. Then usually come back the next day and swap it again while distracting the clerk. Most of the time the clerks never notice the different pin pad or think the owner swapped it.