1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defending the Wildcat

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Colmax, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    If you are an avid fan of the NFL , you probably came to the early conclusion that the Sparano-Tebow marriage would inevitably birth the Wildcat. The Jets are certainly showing their cards early.

The Dolphins face these guys twice a year, so I feel this is relevant; though, no late-season game is in the works this year to add fuel to the discussion. I realize this is early, but we play them in game 3, and Sparano would like nothing better than to shove it down the throats of the team who let him go just a season ago in the home that Parcells burned. Sweet justice for Sparano if his Wildcat provides for late-game heroics.

Do not be surprised.

In the last 3 seasons, the co-quarterback tandem for the Jets have rushed for 14 TDs on 16 attempts in the red zone. That is a whopping 87.5% success rate! The Jets may have the ultimate 1-2 punch with Tebow and Sanchez. While Sanchez averaged only 2.5 yds/carry in the red zone last year, Tebow managed a very good 4.1 yds/carry red zone average.

What is surprising is that Sanchez had MORE red zone rushing TDs in 2011 than Tebow (6 to 5), and all were inside the 10 yard line. This is something to note, because now, the Jets have two QBs who are very good in converting red zone rushes. This gives the Jets plenty of options. Sanchez had a solid year in 2011, and was also good in red zone pass scoring. But his rushing the ball in the red zone is what might surprise teams in 2012. Which brings me back to the point of topic: defending the Wildcat.

We were the team who started it, and dared teams to defend it. But we are now on the other side if the ball, and Sparano has a new toy, and has upgraded to one who can be a legitimate passing threat. I am not only talking about Tebow in the Wildcat. I am talking about Sanchez. Do not be surprised to see a few packages with Sanchez driving the ship. Though I would suspect they will be more red zone directed with Sanchez.

The reason for the post because the Jets are a team we meet twice a year, and two wins (or losses) could mean the difference between a good season and a potential playoff berth, or a season that certainly spells "rebuilding". Two wins could also point the team in the right direction for '13. And the difference between a win and a loss can be dictated by one play late in the game.

In this case: The Wildcat.

smahtaz likes this.
  2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    We may have started it, but I thought the Jets w/Brad Smith did a better job than us with the Wildcat, even though they used it far less often. if you can't run and throw, then the advantage isn't as strong. I see the Jets winning a couple more games this season just because of Tebow's redzone effectiveness. However, my hope is that all the Tebow-hoopla, combined with the conservative coaching of Sparano, will cost them at least 3 games. Jests, 7-9 baby!

3. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    Tebow and the wildcat are a scaring combination...need penetration at that line.

4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Tebow is the right guy for a formation that was made for him, we're gonna have to assign certain guys to their guys during the formation,and stick to them no matter how they send them in motion, it's the hesitation that the crossing guy creates on the defense that is most effective near the goal line...

Folks who makes fun of this scenario that they can present, or the player himself in this formation, Imo, are making a mistake.

5. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I'm frankly very worried about the Jets redzone offense with Teboe as a factor. Even if we have something in mind defensively the Jets are probably going to get theirs.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't honestly even think Tebow in the wildcat is scary, or any worse than him in a regular formation. When you play Tebow you play for him to run first. Every snap from the shotgun is like a mini wildcat.

7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

You mean defending the single wing right?

Frumundah Finnatic and Stitches like this.
  8. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    For the past couple of years, I've felt as if the wildcat had been solved... But, we've never been tested (as a defense). I'm worried. The JETs have a 1-2 punch, hope we (and the rest of the NFL) can figure it out and stop them.

Great post!

9. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Sanchez gets plenty of penetration thru his hole.

Jets do not scare me. I expect to split at worst.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    A couple things should be noted as well.

1) Sparano did not invent the WC and was not the driving force behind it. I don't believe Sparano has very much offensive ingenuity and thus this does not bother me.

2) If Tebow would be that unstoppable in the wildcat, I don't see why they wouldn't have employed it in Denver. I consider their OC to be MUCH more innovative and intelligent offensively. What they did with Tebow is just about as good as you will see.

11. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Another way is for our offense to implement it's quick paced high snap plan and properly execute it. If you can go up 14-0, 21-7 or something early and then just keep your foot on the gas, they will be in WAY too big of a hole for the wildcat to be effective. Also for then to be able to use Tebow in the redzone, they have to get there first. Remember they have Sanchez as their quarterback.

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I won't say that Tebow can't be effective in the Wild Cat. I'm sure he can. Doesn't change the fact that this is a passing league. More times than not the team that can pass the ball the best is going to win. More times than not, the Jets won't be the better team passing the ball. Wild Cat isn't catching any team by surprise this year like it did in 2008.

13. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    What was missing from the Dolphin wildcat was a true throwing threat .The Jets now have one plus Sparano has the experience running the wildcat.You could say he is an expert on the offense although he had to learn it from David Lee.

On the other side of the coin the Dolphin defense is not used to stopping the wildcat while our other opponents in our division adapted to defend it.

I can see where the Dolphins will have trouble defending it at least initially until they do get the experience of defending it.

We dont want Tebow running the wildcat in our redzone.The trick will be to stop it enough so that Tony gets tempted to try a FG.:wink2:

Colmax likes this.
  14. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    To many like to say Tebow can't throw the ball. Well he might like to run a bit to early but he can also burn your a$# with a pass. To me Tebow is Sparanos best thing he could hope for to save him another year as a coach.

15. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    During Philbin's Aug 2 press conference - 1 of 2 - that can be found here;

http://www.miamidolphins.com/media/...-82-pt-1/3b59f2f9-ae24-4f03-ad8c-1456546651a6

Philbin mentions a new defensive alignment called the "Bear". Could this be the Buddy Ryan 4-6 Bear? Was going to start a thread about this actually, but I thought that the 4-6 could be a formation we use in the very instance defending the red zone against the Jets and Tebow sub packages, among others of course.

Thoughts?

16. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    LOL I don't think Tebow has ever burned anyone with a pass. His very few decent passes were due to defenses not respecting his arm at all. The man barely completes 50% of his throws.

17. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    Ask Pitts Steelers in the Play off game who passesd the ball to win in overtime when they pulled up to much.

18. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    The fact you laughed at it is exactly what I'm talking about he does have one hell of a arm not always the most acurate but its there.

No one ever mentions how the week they announced Tebow would be starting John Elway traded off two of the teams best WRs. What can that help in a passing game?

19. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I respect your opinion but agree to disagree. I haven't even seen him make an NFL caliber throw yet all through college and into the NFL. His only good passing plays have been with 7-8 stacking the box daring him to throw.

I'm not saying he is incapable of making a pass. He's a better threat to pass than say....Ronnie Brown. I'm not even sure he is a better passer than Brad Smith though.

Colmax likes this.
  20. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    I know. The guy suprised the hell outta me just a few to many times when he managed to save Denver. This wacky play might save Sparano a coaching job.
    Personaly I hope it just reeks havoc on the Jets locker room.

21. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    :sidelol:

j/k

22. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm a little bit unclear if "Bear" fronts are explicitly 46 defenses, or refer to a variety of defensive formations with the three interior offensive linemen covered by defensive linemen(which is inherently a part of the 46.)

Either way, I think it's a good avenue to pursue against the classical "Wildcat", and the Dolphins base defensive personnel works well for it. The Dolphins do have to consider that it's not the true "Wildcat" that they've got to defend, but a variety of option style attacks that might be more spread-oriented.

Tone_E likes this.
  23. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    In either case, it puts the FS on an Island, and a rather large one at that as he is playing center field. I am not sure we have a FS that we can count on to play that role at the moment. Regardless, it is nice to see that we are implementing this. Could be great for short yard situations.

Alex44 likes this.
  24. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Well I would hope we'd be smart enough not to play the formation in situations where a deep pass is even remotely likely. If so I'd assume the FS will be shading towards one side and leaving Vontae on the island.

Tone_E likes this.
  25. xphinfanx

Nov 1, 2009
    S Holmes will need contained I think he has good speed.

26. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Playing center field is one of the strongest parts of Chris Clemons game, fortunately. As was mentioned our CB's will have lots of responsibilities as well.

Tone_E likes this.
  27. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I definitely agree with you, but here is where Tebow becomes a threat. I don't even want to listen about this nonsense that he can't pass. In Option/Wildcat formations he will be dangerous. It is natural in these cases to emphasize on the run, as there will probably be two TE sets with only 1 or 2 WRs. Very tempting to bring out a Bear formation with an isolated FS. Deep passes are always a possibility, and may be a focal point to the Jets offense when we align in a Bear.

Alex44 likes this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I'm just of the opinion that teams already approach every Tebow snap as a run/option play. It's not that he can't pass exactly, it's that I'm not sure the wildcat adds to his passing ability any. I think Brad Smith is a much better passer for instance. He just doesn't have the size of Tebow to where he can play QB in this league or the passing ability of a Russell Wilson where size isn't as big a factor.

I'm not sure a Tebow wildcat is any better through the air than Smith. Now the combination of both would be concerning a bit...if I thought Sparano had a single innovative brain cell.

Tone_E likes this.
  29. bberg

bberg Squid

Jul 6, 2012
    North East
    If he ever gets in shape...

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Well, I think you're generally stuck with a safety in the box, but you're not stuck cover-1. There's a pretty robust set of stuff you can do, and that kind of stuff has been used as base defenses before.

Tone_E likes this.
  31. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    CK once said "Tim Tebow has the running skills of Peyton Hillis and the passing skills of Peyton Hillis" it still cracks me up and i think its perfectly put

PhinsRDbest likes this.
  32. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If it fails can we call it the "Crashing Jet Offense"?

33. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That is pretty damn funny actually.

34. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Absolutely. Sparano did not invent the Wildcat (or Single Wing for those who are nitpicking) and we all know this (or should). But he does know the system very well. Ingenuity or not, he will have the knack to exploit a defense at certain times. There were times where the opposing defense had no clue against Miami, and this led to touchdowns.

Upon its inception, Miami won games because of the Wildcat, or the threat of it. We also lost games (notably, against the Saints and the Colts), but it was because the defense could not hang with those potent offenses (and we did not have a suitable air attack to make a comeback).

The Jets had the 5th best overall defense in the league last year, and was 5th in yards allowed through the air. A team with QB questions such as Miami may have difficulty making a comeback if the Jets go up a couple of scores.

And for those who are downing on Mark Sanchez, the guy threw 26 TDs last year. Does ANYONE remember the last time a Miami Dolphin QB threw for more than 20 TDs in a year??? 1998. Marino threw 23. FOURTEEN flipping seasons of QB mediocrity!

My point is, this "gimmick" offense is very capable of scoring points. I think Tebow will be effective when called upon, but my real point is what does a team do against Mark Sanchez in the Wildcat? Think it won't happen? Sparano leaves no stone unturned, and I guarantee you this has crossed his mind, and I bet there are packages with Sanchez in the Wildcat.

THIS is my issue with the Wildcat. What will a team do against a legitimate threat of a passer when Sanchez is in the Wildcat? Remember, Sanchez had more red zone rushing TDs than Tebow last year. He can take it to the house with his legs.

It is only a point of discussion.

Sparano is very hush hush, but of course, he is not necessarily running the show anymore. But he is schooled in the trade of misinformation, and I think this Tebow/Wildcat-mania is one way he will catch a team sleeping on Sanchez. It may not necessarily be against us. But I have a strong feeling we will see it.

35. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Could you elaborate on that? I honestly do not know much about scheme and would like to know how our base D would work against the Wildcat.

:up:

36. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I mean that I think the Dolphins base defense works pretty well in a Bear/46-style front, not that there's any particular advantage vs. the Wildcat on the defense. Basically we don't have to substitute or play anyone in funny positions going from our base 4-3 to a classical Bear/46-style front. You basically kick a defensive end to play a 3-technique so you've got two 3-techniques and a 1-technique, line your OLBs on a side, and drop a safety. Miami has an end who is perfectly sized/comfortable as a 3-technique in Odrick, linebackers who are big/strong/experienced playing on the LOS, and safeties who play well in the box.

37. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
  38. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I dont know what part of that phrase I should laugh at.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Start at "and".

40. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Being unbiased, Sanchez is a solid starting QB in the NFL. I would have gladly taken his play last year over any QB we have had over the past decade. He has progressed in every major statistical category each year.

Point blank: the guy is getting better.

Sparano (hopefully) is the ultimate QB killer, but the point of the thread is simply how is Miami to defend the Wildcat with either Tebow or Sanchez at the helm.