1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Defining moment

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by huck1974, Nov 9, 2014.

1. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    We had to score 7 when we had 4 chances on goal to go. All other breakdowns and excuses aside, that is when I felt we would lose. QB play has been good every other week for the last 6 weeks. Not jumping to conclusions at all. It is what it is. I fully expect next weeks game to look the same.

2. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Clay should have caught that ball. I'm not sure how you can see it any other way. The defender makes a good play but I know Clay is going to lose sleep tonight over dropping that ball. That was the game.

Pagan, RoninFin4, EverFin and 3 others like this.
  3. huck1974

huck1974 FU Gene Steratore

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    I agree. I'm not sure why we tried to run it down there either.

4. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Its clear we have trouble scoring inside the 10. We just don't have any red zone targets. Clay is our biggest at 6'2 and he can't jump.

Cut Hartline and Gibson and draft a big WR in the 1st round. Then draft a power back in the 2nd or 3rd

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'd also go out and get a tight end that's about 6 foot 6. Ala what the Packers did tonight vs the Bears inside their 10 yard line. GB has three tight ends that are huge (we found that out the hard way).

6. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    They need to put in Gator Hoskins, especially in the red zone

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    And they need to take Brian Hartline out in the redzone for he offers nothing.

8. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Clay catches that ball, none of this matters.

9. EverFin

EverFin Active Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Zurich, Switzerland
    What I don't understand is it was an easy catch for Clay. But the moment he catches the ball it looked like he got sloppy. Instead of turning away from the defender and secure the ball he stood there - and ruined my week.

ElNino and finwin like this.
  10. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    He ran the wrong route on the INT Tannehill threw. I'd just as soon keep Gator on the bench in the redzone for now.

ElNino and finwin like this.
  11. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    As far as the Clay play, that happened right in front of me (I was at the game sitting in that endzone). Yes, he did drop it and he should have held onto it. He was also even more open, but Tannehill saw him and threw it a step late.

I'd really like to have that deep ball they missed to Wallace back too.

I can't really fault the defense as much as a poor offensive gameplan and execution.

12. thisperishedmin

thisperishedmin Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2011
    Interior OL or CB in the first round. Try to get Jesse James from PSU in the 2nd or 3rd...but with that said, I'm afraid his stock rises big time closer to the draft. 6'7", 260lbs...27 reps 225lb bench press, 4.6 40 time... kid has all the tools - just chained to a horrible offense right now.

I certainly wouldn't be upset with a big attacking WR or RB either...but OL and CB will continue to haunt us next year

13. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    On that play it looked like on TV that Wallace was more open in the endzone than Clay. Can you recall if that was the case or if he just looked open because the ball had been already thrown? Thanks

14. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I watched that play several times on replay - full speed and super slo mo - and several things stuck out. Here's my take:

1. Clay was open, clapping his hands and RT took two more steps before hitting him. He waited too long and had to throw behind Clay b/c the other defender was in the path. RT just needs to be quicker to pull the trigger and anticipate the D. But this is a past problem he has had - he often waits until the receiver is open and then that creates problems. It's been talked about a good bit. RT has to read and pull the trigger more quickly. That's where he has a limitation. I think experience could change that and hopefully will.

2. Clay probably should have had the ball but he had to reach back to his hip and the defender got his hand on the ball as Clay turned - so it's close to a 50/50 proposition. The defender made a good play. Not a cut and dried catch by any means.

3. Wallace was wide open but he and Clay were running together and the angle was such that he'd have been almost directly behind Clay. So it would have been hard for RT to see him. if he had, he'd have had to lob it over the defender that he threw behind to hit Clay - probably lead Wallace a good bit. Would have been an easier play and no defender was near Wallace. But, I suspect RT just did not see him as he was shielded by Clay.

finwin and dirtywhiteboy like this.
  15. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I can't say with respect to Wallace as I saw Clay cross the formation and was solely focused on him when I saw Tannehill start to notice Clay. I think Wallace came in from the opposite direction and probably looked more open, but I'd say Tannehill made the correct decision and throw because he'd have had to lead Wallace while throwing it back across his body even more so than he did with Clay.

I think all things considered, it was a bang-bang play. Could the throw have been better? Yes. Should Clay have held on? Yes. Should they have tried a play earlier in that sequence that moved Tannehill out of the pocket? Yes.

Miami's redzone play-calling and execution have been pretty poor for most of the season. Not having a power back like Knowshon Moreno is equally crippling as none of the trio between Miller, Williams and Thomas are good north-south runners.

16. RoninFin4

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Da'Fins seems to have confirmed what I saw as well.

It was the right throw and should have been caught. It wasn't. James Ihedigbo made a nice play, much in the same vein as Dion Jordan did on Calvin Johnson on Detroit's subsequent drive. Detroit just happened to have another down and made their play. And give Stafford his due, that was a *perfect* throw.

17. HogsHDFinsfan

HogsHDFinsfan New Member

Sep 16, 2014
    QB is inconsistent. You don't win in this league like that. Either he get whatever it is affecting him or he goes away. I am interested to see how he plays against a team that has made him look very bad the last three times they've played. If he plays well, that's a sign he's growing on the job. If he sucks it up again (and yesterday, he wasn't great), its more evidence that he's not the answer. The debate of whether or not a new coach keeps him is really irrelevant...they won't keep him long if he does not make drastic improvements.

finwin likes this.
  18. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    This just reminded me of Johnson's circus catch to keep the drive alive (2nd qtr?) after having it batted away. Ugh, like the GB game, so many could have beens....lots of great plays all around.

19. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I agree with everything you're saying. I think we left 11 points on the field that the elite QB we're looking for would have gotten. The miss to an Open Wallace was 7 and the failure to convert the TD to Clay was 4. I'm also not counting the failure to convert the 3rd and 5 to hold the ball and win the game. Elite QB's with consistent 95+ ratings make those 3 plays and win games.

20. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

The sense of urgency and mental preparation from that play compared to the winning TD is pretty evident. Terrible execution and effort by CC imo .