1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Denver sends Williams, Dumervil packing; acquires Griffin from Tennessee

Discussion in '2011 GM League Forum' started by GridIronKing34, Feb 13, 2011.

1. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    DJ Williams, Elvis Dumervil OUT and Michael Griffin IN
    Denver, CO -- All has been quiet on the home front in Denver and everyone has been wondering why. While the Denver Broncos haven't made headlines quite like teams such as the New England Patriots, Tennessee Titans, and Phildelphia Eagles... they have been slowly transforming their team into something different.

After firing John Fox and his crew, newly signed general manager GridIronKing34 got to work quickly with the likes of Pat Bowlen and John Elway. Once the offseason hit, GridIronKing along with Bowlen and Elway flew to a state that he was quite familar with: Iowa. In the end, they left the state of Iowa with one extra person in their plane... Kirk Ferentz. The four were then able to persuade Charlie Weis to return to the NFL, leaving the college game once again. Shortly after, they poached the Green Bay Packers coaching staff and took Mike Trgovac with them as their defense coordinator.

While the first few days in Denver were quiet as far as the personnel moves, things began to heat up once the weekend hit. DJ Williams was sent to Arizona as they managed to net a 3rd round pick and move up in the 2nd round. Elvis Dumervil was traded to Oakland for a 4th round pick to drastically ease the burden on Denver's cap situation. And just recently the Broncos made a trade with Tennessee to bring Michael Griffin to Denver. All in all, saving reportedly $17-18 million in cap space through the three deals.

The Denver Post was able to sit down with the new general manager of the Broncos in an exclusive interview.

DP: Nice to see you, GIK. It seems that a lot has gone down this weekend.

GIK: Great to see you too. You're absolutely right; I'm sure the media in Denver has been keeping themselves busy tonight.

DP: Absolutely. So you haven't talked to the media since being hired and you refused to take questions during Kirk Ferentz's press conference. Just assuming you were a big reason behind the coaching staff changes, what made these guys stand out?

GIK: Well, I've spent a lot of time watching Kirk as I grew up an Iowa Hawkeyes fan. Kirk has always been one of those guys that everyone knew could be an NFL head coach... it was just a matter of when he was ready. Kirk helped us hire our current coordinators. We weren't going to hire anyone unless we have Kirk's stamp of approval. Both Charlie [Weis] and Mike [Trgovac] were proven in the NFL. We feel that this coaching staff is one of the best in the league.

DP: You recently sent both DJ Williams and Elvis Dumervil to new homes... any reason why?

GIK: It was all about our salary cap situation. The past Denver staff didn't leave us a lot of leeway with the salary cap and we had to let go of some very talented players. We wish nothing but the best for both DJ and Elvis, but it was purely a business matter.

DP: And after trading away both Williams and Dumervil, you managed to bring in an All-Pro free safety. Anything you wanna talk about concerning Michael Griffin?

GIK: Well... when you have to play the likes of Philip Rivers twice each season... you certainly need a ballhawk in the secondary. Michael Griffin is only 26 years old and has been nothing short of a playmaker. This past year he had over one-hundred tackles, two forced fumbles, and four interceptions. Griffin brings some flavor to our defense and we aren't even done yet.

DP: And rumor has it that you are looking to deal Kyle Orton. Any truth to this?

GIK: Orton played great this past season and to tell you that we haven't been sent some preliminary offers would be a flat out lie. We aren't close to making a deal with Orton at the moment so when that happens... it happens. We are more than willing to go into the season with both Orton and Tebow as our quarterbacks.

DP: Any comment on the Peyton Manning saga?

GIK: All I can really say is... I'm sure things are going to get crazier as the month goes on as far as Peyton Manning is concerned.

DP: Thanks for your time.

Paul 13 likes this.
  2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Think you mean the Cleveland Browns. :shifty:

And does this mean Denver is going to get involved in the Peyton Manning mess? :lol:

3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I have to worry about Kyle Orton shaving his neck and Tim Tebow staying faithful.... like I need to worry about Manning and his commercial addiction too. :lol:

4. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Now I know you’re lying. :lol: