1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Depth Chart released

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rocky Raccoon, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
  2. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    I say it will not take very long at all for Moreno to jump over Miller and become the starter. I think no more than 2 games.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Interesting choice to have Chris McCain as third string behind Jonathan Freeny. And by interesting I mean stupid, if it's an accurate reflection of what they intend to do during games.

4. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    So then, the usual from this staff.

5. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Glad to have Landry back there instead of Thiggy. Hope I don't eat these words.

Surprised about Miller ahead of Moreno.

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Hopefully Mccain gets a sack on Brady and moves up the DC.....best he can do!

Bpk likes this.
  7. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I'm not sure how much to read into this at certain positions. Lamar Miller might be the "starter" but I'd have to imagine based on preseason Knowshon Moreno should get a healthy does of carries. They list Starks, Mitchell and Odrick all as "starters".

I also wonder about how much playing time certain guys will have. Isn't Jordan Tripp out for a week or two? I'd have to imagine Chris McCain will be active; he seems like the closest guy to be used in a capacity similar to how Miami used Dion Jordan against the Patriots last year, i.e. covering Gronk. Freeny I can only see being listed above McCain based solely on special teams and being the more "senior" player.

8. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Maybe. These depth charts sometimes aren't worth the bytes they're printed on. Hopefully that's the case here. Though I don't see the point in the intentional inaccuracies. Afraid of bruising Freeny's ego that he's been surpassed by a rookie UDFA? Sh-t happens guy, if you don't want to get passed then play better.

Tin Indian and Bpk like this.
  9. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

How much does that really show what they intend to do ... hell Id keep McCain quiet as well...why put a red flag on someone who could be huge at getting to Brady

10. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Coyle already said he'd be in on plays though. Hope he can make an impact against the 1s.

cuchulainn likes this.
  11. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Not surprised at all. Miller has been working hard the entire off season whereas Knowshon showed up overweight and injured, unable to actually participate until the third preseason game. A few nice carries in one preseason game isn't going to induce them to have Moreno leapfrog Miller officially, even if Knowshon could end up with more carries during a game.

12. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Very true. Could be "secret weapon" type stuff......bury him in the DC, and when Sunday rolls around send him after Brady with fierce force!

13. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    their depth charts are the same as the ones 1st week of camp, worth nothing

14. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Doubt it. We always use the "keeping it a secret" argument when coaches don't do the obvious smart thing and field a sub-par offense (maybe they are saving the great plays for later!!! unveil them in week X!) or players (he's our secret weapon who never gets snaps!).

Truth is, coaches make mistakes.

And so do we, so maybe our evaluations aren't as accurate as we think either. lol.

15. Bpk

McCain makes no sense to me. Stubborn coaches who want a guy who is 'ready' has rehearsed it enough 1000's of times in practice to qualm the coaches innate fear of any player not doing exactly as they have been trained to do. Such thinking kept Cam Wake off the field a lot in his first year with us. That was a mistake.

I assume/hope Turner supplants Colledge once his injury is gone.

Not thrilled with Miller, but as CK points out, Moreno needs to earn that spot through some sustained effort.

I also think this is my first time hearing the name Sammy Seamster.

16. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Eh...when it comes to McCain...I honestly dont think that. He can get to the QB..no doubt about it. If all we do is line him up in obvious passing downs....and turn him loose, Id be shocked if he didnt harass Brady.

17. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL

Seamster and Ross were waiver claims a couple days ago

18. Bpk

How many snaps would you hope he gets this week? I'll be curious to check snap counts after and see if he was underutilized.

Also, we'll check how many times he actually got to rush the passer.

Caveat: McCain wasn't doing all his impressing vs starters... so it's a bit of an assumption he'd do similar damage versus the Pats 1st stringers.

77FinFan and PhinFan1968 like this.
  19. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    we all know that the backfield is going to be a rotation. so it doesn't matter what order they are listed. why is it a surprise, or even matter?

20. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Need something to talk about on Tuesday mornings....

21. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I don't see the point in it either. Then again, there are so many things that happen in football that seem like a good idea that dont get done - such as joint training camp sessions, picking up guys cut and pumping them for info, and practicing situational football. I'm not sure what the hell is going on anymore.

22. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    I'm hardly a Moreno fan. That said, talent should dictate that kind of decision. Sustained effort? He was legitimately hurt.

Lamar Miller hasn't done anything to warrant being the #1 back. In fact, his presence on this roster alone has hurt us more than it's helped us. Miller is the reason we let Reggie Bush go... For a measly 4/$16 million dollar contract. Basically, per year what we signed Moreno for. Moreno at worst, is above average or better in every aspect of the running back position than Lamar Miller. Better runner, better blocker, better receiver.

23. Trackstar

Trackstar Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    FL
    Only thing I can guess about Freeny ahead of McCain is maybe Freeny is trusted more on special teams and the coaches value that...Could be totally wrong, just spit balling.

24. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Still worried about Sturgis, would love to sign Henery

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think Miller/Moreno matters they will likely start with equal time and whoever performs will see it tilted in their favor.

26. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I am too, and I'm really nervous that he's going to re-injure his groin during pregame warm ups. What are we going to do then?

27. ElNino

ElNino Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Norfolk VA
    That's actually a good reality check. I was getting suckled into the Moreno hype myself, but this rings true. Especially noting that Miller looked good in pass protection this preseason.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I can see only 3 WRs on that depth chart. Hartline, Gibson, and Landry.

29. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Have heard Lazor really speaking highly of Miller.

30. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Look above the QBs.

MrClean likes this.
  31. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

In his last presser, it seemed like he was talking a LOT higher of Moreno than he did Miller.

32. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    When Dion Jordan returns we would expect him replacing Freeny instead of McCain despite McCain listed 3rd. Perhaps they'll replace Seamster and Ross when Jordan and Jones returns. Will be interesting to see.

33. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Worried about his groin or his performance if he is healthy?

34. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    I'm worried about both. He has a weak leg, and his accuracy has been dropping.

Last year during the first three games, Joe kept saying that the protection was unacceptable even tho the team was winning. But he kept saying those are the players they picked during the offseason and he trust they will turn it around. This is his MO, until that position is no longer tenable.
    So before team moves on from Sturgis, they will watch him fail for a while and trust him to pull out of it.

35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    We've got to give this kid some time to find his groove, he's a 2nd year player, they go thru some ups and downs, he's gotta good stroke, and I dont recall his leg being weak, I'm sure it'll come around..

36. 77FinFan

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Somebody had a good write up about Sturgis this offseason. I wish I could remember it, but it really put an objective light on his season last year. Some of his misses were from pretty deep, a couple really close and it seemed to rock his confidence a little. I think he'll be solid for years to come and win us some games w/ that big leg.