Deshaun Watson
477 replies
"KeyFin wrote:
How would the rebuild take 3 years? We have one of the top defenses around. The line has come together nicely. Almost everyone is young as well, so you're not talking about moving pieces over the next few seasons. AND we just came off a 10-win season where the offense couldn't get much going.
We literally need a few WR's and RB's....that's not a 3-year rebuild.
I was trying to clarify Alex’ confusion on Striking’s response to The Guy, lol. The Guy was talking about “any team” being willing to start a “complete rebuild” with an elite QB. Miami is clearly closer than 3 years away at this point.
Let Dan Snyder be the moron and trade his whole draft for him.
I bet the Houston owner lets Easterby go...unless ego is making the decision, in which case, we BETTER be on the phone!
Brian Flores when asked about tanking: “Again, no we’re not (tanking). We’re going to try to win every game. I think that’s disrespectful to even say that.”
:rimshot:
Funny what just a few days can do to change a situation or viewpoint.
I'm revising my last post. I now put his odds at being traded at about 30-40%. Definitely trending more in that direction.
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
"The G Man wrote:
Funny what just a few days can do to change a situation or viewpoint.
I'm revising my last post. I now put his odds at being traded at about 30-40%. Definitely trending more in that direction.
It does sound like things are deteriorating in Houston. Unless they hit a home run with their HC selection, Watson may try to force his way out of town.
I’d give up our 1sts, Tua and a 2nd next year for Watson. If they want more than that, I say let’s keep rebuilding. Would suck to not be able to add some of the top playmakers to this offense but Watson immediately makes us a contender with this defense.
Situation seems to be worsening by the day.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports there is a "growing sentiment" that Texans QB "Deshaun Watson has played his last snap for the team."
This comes off the heels of previous reports that Watson is furious with his team's handling of their GM and HC vacancies. Watson was rumored to be displeased with the trading WR DeAndre Hopkins and now an offseason of organizational moves without consulting their star passer has Watson at a 10. A trade to a team with significant draft capital is firmly in play. Both the Jets and Dolphins have a top-five selection this year plus a second pick in the first round. Miami sticks out as a front-runner for now.
Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jan 17, 2021, 1:46 PM ET
http://larrycsonka.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/071511-NFL-Larry-Csonka-PI_2011071516291173_660_320.jpg
I say we only make the trade if they take our 3rd overall and maybe one of our seconds this year and a second next year. I do NOT want this trade if we have to give up two firsts for it. That's too much IMHO.
"Rick 1966 wrote:
I say we only make the trade if they take our 3rd overall and maybe one of our seconds this year and a second next year. I do NOT want this trade if we have to give up two firsts for it. That's too much IMHO.
Even if it was something like....
Watson for Tua, #3 our best 2nd and a first next year?
I'm not saying that would or wouldnt get it done, but youd be keeping a first this year to add a WR or something.
Vegas has Miami with the best odds of being Watson’s home for next season.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
Even if it was something like....
Watson for Tua, #3 our best 2nd and a first next year?
I'm not saying that would or wouldnt get it done, but youd be keeping a first this year to add a WR or something.
depends on how bad Watson wants out and wants to come to Miami. I’d offer tua and our 3rd and that’s it. Is it enough? It is if Miami is the only place Watson wants to play and is willing to sit out a year.
if it’s not enough, I don’t care, I’ll role with tua whom I believe has a tannehill floor; brees ceiling.
"plc001 wrote:
depends on how bad Watson wants out and wants to come to Miami. I’d offer tua and our 3rd and that’s it. Is it enough? It is if Miami is the only place Watson wants to play and is willing to sit out a year.
if it’s not enough, I don’t care, I’ll role with tua whom I believe has a tannehill floor; brees ceiling.
There's no way they can accept that from just a business standpoint. They'd be better off trying to call a bluff and see what happens than take a lopsided deal.
If Watson wants out, his best bet is just to say he wants to go to a winner, give a list of a dozen teams and let the Texans get the best possible offer, and someone will 100% beat Tua and a first rounder. Saying he wants out AND to go to a single specific team? That takes away from the chance the Texans will entertain offers.
"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:
Even if it was something like....
Watson for Tua, #3 our best 2nd and a first next year?
I'm not saying that would or wouldnt get it done, but youd be keeping a first this year to add a WR or something.
I would do that.
"texanphinatic wrote:
There's no way they can accept that from just a business standpoint. They'd be better off trying to call a bluff and see what happens than take a lopsided deal.
If Watson wants out, his best bet is just to say he wants to go to a winner, give a list of a dozen teams and let the Texans get the best possible offer, and someone will 100% beat Tua and a first rounder. Saying he wants out AND to go to a single specific team? That takes away from the chance the Texans will entertain offers.
If their only choices are to accept it or watch the entire franchise implode even further as Watson sits for the season or retires, they'll accept it. They really don't have any other choice since they 100% brought this on themselves.
Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.
"KeyFin wrote:
If their only choices are to accept it or watch the entire franchise implode even further as Watson sits for the season or retires, they'll accept it. They really don't have any other choice since they 100% brought this on themselves.
You call his bluff and do what you can to placate him. You can't sell another disastrous trade to that fanbase, especially Caserio whose a first time GM.
Lmao @ tua and a third... jason sanders and a third round pick would be more enticing of a trade if im Houston
I wanna predicate this discussion on the fact that I think Flo is a defensive genius. Don't think about this season. Think about the end of last season. He had a bunch of practice squad players playing respectable football, and then after just two years on the job, he had what I think is the best defense in the league.
I have seen this before. I recall Lovie Smith's Bears with Rex Grossman. Most people look at Grossman as terrible, but he had some really solid games. He was very up and down. That being said, there is no doubt in my mind that the Bears would have a Lombardi if they had an elite QB. Rex Ryan has a stout defense, but he also had Mark Sanchez. I really do think an elite QB would have changed the course of the Jets.
I think that if we get Watson in his prime our offense would be significantly better. Omar Kelly and Dave Hyde are already saying that players want to come here and play under Flo. Watson would make that even more enticing, so I see Watson's salary increase partially mitigated by players being willing to take less to come to Miami.
I am not here saying that I would be upset if we paid a bit too much to get Watson. I think that every other position on the field can more or less easily addressed. We are all Phins fans. We have seen drafts over the past decade; they aren't always pretty.
I think it would be an absolute tragedy if this whole thing falls short because of the offense, and we look back and say, "I guess we probably should have been willing to throw in an extra 2nd or whatever it would have taken."
Truthfully I don’t want Watson. Anyone who tells the owner you have to consult with me on the new GM and new HC is a drama queen and a prima Dona.
Think about it. You own a business and one of your employees tells you that you have to consult with him on who HIS next supervisor is going to be.
Go pound sand, you’re fired

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
Truthfully I don’t want Watson. Anyone who tells the owner you have to consult with me on the new GM and new HC is a drama queen and a prima Dona.
Think about it. You own a business and one of your employees tells you that you have to consult with him on who HIS next supervisor is going to be.
Go pound sand, you’re fired
Why shouldn't the most valuable employee have a say? But the biggest issues appear to be that he was told by the owner that he would be consulted and then the owner prayed with Jack Easterby and it lead to a left-field candidate (Caserio) rather than anyone requested by Watson OR by the search firm hired by the team. I think it's perfectly legit for Watson to be concerned that a non-football guy appears to have a much greater influence on the owner than anyone else, especially considering what a dumpster fire the franchise has essentially been.
These guys are elite talents with nigh-irreplaceable skillsets. Acting like they need to be good little boys and just shut up and accept whatever happens is ridiculous.
"cbrad wrote:
Watson would command a ransom of picks, not just the 3rd overall. Not even sure our 1st 4 picks would be sufficient. This guy is proven elite talent (without the uncertainty of the draft), producing at near the top of the list statistically on a really bad team with a really bad OL and defense.
I actually wouldn't be against such a trade IF we have a serious plan to get weapons on offense. You certainly wouldn't need as many offensive weapons with Watson as you would with Tua. That probably means giving up lots of picks in future years more than in the current year. Interesting possibility to say the least (most likely not happening though lol).
Actually, the #3 would command a ransom of picks as well. I'd imagine if we trade down to ~10, we'd only do it for an extra first and a third (at least). If that's the value that Houston puts on Watson, that pick should mostly be enough. Especially since they're missing their first two picks this year. If I'm Grier, I only make the trade straight up because we have too much we can do with the pick or the collection of assets it commands.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
Truthfully I don’t want Watson. Anyone who tells the owner you have to consult with me on the new GM and new HC is a drama queen and a prima Dona.
Think about it. You own a business and one of your employees tells you that you have to consult with him on who HIS next supervisor is going to be.
Go pound sand, you’re fired
Except they told him they would. They are a dumpster fire of an organization and he is an elite QB. Anyone with any sense would want out.
And your analogy makes no sense since he would love to be fired.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
Truthfully I don’t want Watson. Anyone who tells the owner you have to consult with me on the new GM and new HC is a drama queen and a prima Dona.
Think about it. You own a business and one of your employees tells you that you have to consult with him on who HIS next supervisor is going to be.
Go pound sand, you’re fired
Some of the greatest players in team sports history have been highly selfish and arrogant, and you're making a grave mistake if you don't include them on the team because of their personality or antics. Maybe the best contemporary example is from soccer: Cristiano Ronaldo.
That guy is as selfish as they get (just google and you'll find tons of examples), but is one of the top 2 players alive, top 5 all time AND he wins championships.. MANY of them.
Sometimes a player is so good you're better off with him than without, even if he's selfish. American football has had its share too. Both Randy Moss and Terrell Owens were both more "I" than "we" oriented.
"The_Dark_Knight wrote:
Truthfully I don’t want Watson. Anyone who tells the owner you have to consult with me on the new GM and new HC is a drama queen and a prima Dona.
He didn't tell them they HAD to. They promised they WOULD.
"OwesOwn614 wrote:
Actually, the #3 would command a ransom of picks as well. I'd imagine if we trade down to ~10, we'd only do it for an extra first and a third (at least). If that's the value that Houston puts on Watson, that pick should mostly be enough. Especially since they're missing their first two picks this year. If I'm Grier, I only make the trade straight up because we have too much we can do with the pick or the collection of assets it commands.
Two 1sts and a 3rd is a FAR cry from what Houston will demand. I already posted a link saying they want 3 1sts, 3 2nds AND a Pro Bowl level player to get the discussion started. Now maybe that's just their opening gambit, but it's probably not too far off from what a team would end up paying given the massive amount of interest for a proven elite QB in his prime.
"cbrad wrote:
Two 1sts and a 3rd is a FAR cry from what Houston will demand. I already posted a link saying they want 3 1sts, 3 2nds AND a Pro Bowl level player to get the discussion started. Now maybe that's just their opening gambit, but it's probably not too far off from what a team would end up paying given the massive amount of interest for a proven elite QB in his prime.
Something like Tua, a young player (Wilkins, Noah, Hunt) and then the 3, 36 and 50 plus a first and third next year might get a good bite.
The biggest issue would be their eval on Tua. If they aren't sold on him, we'd need to increase the picks, or work a crazy three-team deal.
The #3 overall is probably the biggest asset, and it can reasonably equated to two later round firsts that a team like the Colts or Steelers would be looking to provide. Overall, it's a reasonable deal. I'm not sure how it would work cap-wise, so aside from retaining the #18, ideally you'd be able to target an upper-echelon WR and/or RB in free agency and draft whichever you don't sign.