1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Despite offseason progress this organization continues to shoot itself in the foot

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bumrush, May 6, 2013.

1. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm all for renovations and would have voted yes to the public funding option to renovate JRS. With that being said, it's almost impossible to fully support this ownership group when they engage in threatening tactics and bush-league strategies.

We spent an entire offseason splashing big in free agency, had a solid draft, have an exciting young team, QB and coaching staff, and instead of basking in the glory of this, everyone is worried about the future and long term status of the team in Miami due to a rushed, rammed down your throat, sudden desire to modernize and improve JRS.

We weren't even talking about stadium modifications 6 months ago and now this team is at risk to leave South Florida?

Great job shooting yourselves in the foot, Ross and Dee.. Build up anticipation for this season, do everything you can to improve the team, change your logo then deflate all that work by creating doom and gloom scenarios after Goodell forced a bribe on you to secure a Super Bowl.. All that, done in an expedited fashion rammed down everyone's throat like it was the end of the world. Despite all that, you fully anticipated that your expedited bill would sail through the legislature and pass with the voters without even thinking of the consequences or pushing back on the NFL in order to develop a winning strategy.

Don't like it one bit.

jw3102, electrolyte, 305 and 4 others like this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The things is, the renovations were supposed to happen as far as they were concerned. They got blindsided. There hope was to make over the team, the look and the stadium all in one year. Its ambitious, but not necessarily wrong.

3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Despite offseason progress this organization continues to shoot itself in the f

Just compartmentalize. Sucks having this stuff be an issue, but need to try and separate it from the football side. This isn't necessarily a Ross and Dee issue only, it affects a lot of people in South Florida. Hopefully it gets resolved soon, so we don't have a cloud over the franchise for a number of years n

4. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    So basically they counted their chickens before they hatched. Continues to prove my point.

In fact, now I question this free agent spending spree. It all may have been a nice little farce to drum up voter support.

If they failed, who cares, lets sell the team and let the next ownership group deal with it.

MikeHoncho likes this.
  5. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Despite offseason progress this organization continues to shoot itself in the f

How would it make a difference? Should they not have tried?

Spree? They are at the salary floor. They didn't really spend beyond what they're required to.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ross seems like a good owner but he does have a tin ear sometimes.

MikeHoncho and Bumrush like this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The vision of rebranding down to the stadium was absolutely the right idea imo, but I think Rush has a point, stress the word think, because I'm still trying to figure sh$& out, but to react in such a doom and gloom way doesn't seem healthy for the culture and relationship between fan and team, however, I'm not sure if the tactics are'nt on purpose to achieve some sort of leverage.

I cannot blame them though for having their vision cut short..the renovations really would of helped the culture rebuilding.

8. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    at the end of the day, the product on the field is the one that counts, so you are
    exaggerate a little​

9. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Do you think the team is fostering a healthy culture with the very same legislature that will ultimately have to approve this measure, on TOP of the voters? I don't know about you but I'm more concerned with how the organization is handling rejection than how the legislature handled this expedited request.

10. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're overreacting.

They didn't count anything. By your logic, no one should make any major move unless its guaranteed to work.

They were bold, they were ambitious. Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean the people behind the attempt were inept or it was wrong to try.

One guy they thought they had in their corner, betrayed what they thought, that's the kink in the line and short of holding his loved ones hostage there's really no other way to fix that.

NCFINFAN, DOLPHAN1 and unluckyluciano like this.
  11. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007

No one has made any threats. Ross has repeatedly said that he isnt going to sell the team while alive. He said he cant guarantee that the next owner after he dies (hopfully not for a couple decades) wont move the team, but that he has ZERO intention of our team playing anywhere else than South Florida.

So, at the least, the Fins will be here for another decade at minimum. I'm hopeful that we'll get a stadium deal worked out by then...

12. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    So the ownership group will have no say in who they sell to?

13. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    Timeout. Why does everyone think these are new threats by the NFL or Ross just made up these renovations hisself? We have had threads and article going back to 2009 on these major renovations. Goodell didn't just start talking about this in 2012. This has been coming for some time. This is just where the rubber is starting to meet the road.

Stitches, NCFINFAN, CaribPhin and 2 others like this.
  14. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Lets not overreact to the talk about the phins future being bleak. Its part of the process, they're playing hardball. You should know exactly why Dee said those things.

15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    this exactly. It's been discussed for quite some time.

16. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Could we of not handled the rejection a bit better in order to protect the team from a disheartened fanbase.?, or is the reaction that we all have seen, thought out?

17. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

On this very board people have posted extensively about proposed or discussed stadium renovations for years. The NFL itself spoke about the Dolphins hosting a Super Bowl in Miami. After the 2006 game it was talked about. We haven't hosted one since then and aren't about to now. If we don't get Super Bowl L, that will make a full decade of being shut out from the game. We had two in a four/five year period before XLI and three in 11 years counting it.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  18. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    His family will sell it to the highest bidder...

smahtaz likes this.
  19. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    In Dallas they spent 1.2 billion on a new stadium because Jones knows that unless he makes the game experience special, sooner or later the attendance will go down cause Hidef tv and sound is a big competitor, just stay home with friends and watch all 3 games.
    This is important for the team and the stadium experience is as important as the quality of the team, Ross already has made a significant investment in the team.

20. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The NFL is pretty restrictive in whom they allow purchase a team. Either way, Ross should and will sell to whomever the NFL approves and is offering the most money.

21. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not arguing about the validity of the request. I am arguing about the methodology in doing it in this expedited manner, then throwing your hands up in the air and acting like the world is ending when your expecting outcome (which didn't seem to be realistic) didn't happen.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    bingo!!!

And that venue has lured in other big time events that would of not been held there if it wasn't built..

23. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    will this hurt the "team" this season?

24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think the reaction you're seeing is more of them responding to being what they believe is a betrayal. I think they were blindsided by the events that just unfolded.

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nah. There's plenty of time for the FO smooth over their reaction with the fans between now and the start of the season. Once reports come of training camp of Wallace catching bombs and Jordan blowing up plays, we won't even be thinking about this.

Except for DJ, that is.

FanMarino likes this.
  26. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Hopefully not. All it takes is a few rumors though, and next thing you know Armando is asking Joe Philbin if it is a distraction.

FanMarino likes this.
  27. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think the fans are the ones to worry about. Its the media. They likely will want to press this as a story.

28. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    shutup Richard..

29. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    So because one shady politician blindsided them, they have to take this fight public?

How about this as a response ; "As promised, Ross has no intention of moving the team out of Miami. While we are very disappointed in the outcome and the legislatures inability to vote on this, we are confident that these much needed renovations will get done and we will not stop fighting until this is resolved"

Do you think the response to blast Weatherford, make veiled threats of relocation when Ross sells the team to the highest bidder and then throwing a hissy fit was the right course of action?

djphinfan likes this.
  30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Which only becomes a problem once the fans buy into it.

And they can do plenty of PR between now and then to fix this, plus, like I said, it will only take hold with the fans if there's nothing else to focus on.

31. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Ross needs to make a statement no?

32. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

PFT taking the lead no doubt. This just feels like Florio's avenue.

33. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    why not?

NCFINFAN likes this.
  34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think its a little bit of all 3. Again, Ross has spent plenty of money to ensure this vote went to the people. I'm sure quite a bit found its way to Weatherford's election coffers...wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Basically Ross spent millions of dollars on a race car, after he signs on the dotted line, he finds out the car doesn't have an engine, transmission, steering wheel, brakes, gas pedal, gas tank or wheels. We are witnessing his reaction to that.

Again, I think the local government should have just given him every tax break possible instead of handing over money, but this is the way our government works....people are able to buy and sell votes.

NCFINFAN likes this.
  35. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    What good could come of it Luck?, serious question?

Bumrush likes this.
  36. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    what good would it do to take a public issue public?

NCFINFAN likes this.
  37. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It could create more publicity if they try again. Only this time, the media will keep reminding people of what happened and how "good" the deal was for the public, etc.

38. Bumrush

Nov 25, 2007
    Yet every single article in the local media is blasting Ross and the team on how they handled this.

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    So basically to spark debate between the people of south Florida and this politician, with the angle being he just stole money and economic development away from your city?

What about the theory that the NFL was just bluffin really, tried to help the owner get some partial funds, and now that it didnt work, once the new venues are rewarded ( which was gonna happen anyway) were right back in the rotation?

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Right now, sure. There's going to be a lot of time between now and then, however.

Step 1 is create the controversy. Step 2 will be damage control where they reframe the events of what happened as Weatherford going back on his word and denying the people a voice, blah, blah, blah.

Ask yourself who has the better chance and resources to spin this: Ross or Weatherford?