1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Detroit Tigers

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by DonShula84, Apr 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    Only team in MLB without a win...

I know it's still early but they better get this thing turned around quickly. Losing is one thing, but losing to the bottom of the division is another.

Maybe Dontrelle can stop the bleeding tomorrow, but if his spring is any indication of what's to come they're in trouble.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It's very early but it still doesn't change the fact that their pen is horrible and their starters after Verlander are shakey. I think they're going to underachieve this year.

3. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    It seems like they've followed the Yankees plan of having a killer lineup but shaky SP/BP (though the Yanks BP was sounder than the Tigers). It didnt work for the Yankees and I dont see it working for the Tigers either, especially in a stacked AL. Plenty of time for them to turn this around, I'm by no mean writing them off. 0-4 to start the season is still pretty interesting.

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Whats sad is they've basically pulled an NY and mortgaged their future to acquire Renteria, Cabrera, and Willis.

Jurrjens, Hernandez, Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin were all top prospects they gave up this past off-season. The model of success in MLB is consitency, give your self a chance EVERY year. The best teams in the regular season dont always win the WS.

5. H.Moody

H.Moody Junior Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Los Angeles,Ca.
    0-4...they could go winless lol...I'm still pissed my Halos "lost out" on Cabrera to them...

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    come on. this is no big deal. its a 162 game season. The one thing I will say is that it is slightly disturbing that they were swept by KC to open the season... personally I dont think its anything to be alarmed about just yet..

H.Moody likes this.
  7. H.Moody

H.Moody Junior Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Los Angeles,Ca.

I agree.I'm just "hatin'"on the Tigers......while I can...:pointlol:

8. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Then they should have offered more. Then again, is another bat really what the Angels--or the Tigers, for that matter--needed?

9. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008

Angels absolutely. Slightly less after Hunter, but protecting Vlad has been this teams biggest problem.

Boik14 likes this.
  10. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    the yankees in the last couple of seasons have changed there philosophy they are holding onto there young talent like wang,cano,hughes.chamberlain,etc

they have done it for this very reason, having an allstar caliber lineup doesnt work, each superstar thinks the other superstar will get it done and the whole team goes through slumps, they will rake one day and the next they will go cold again, there isnt a sense of urgency to drive a runner in because you feel the next hitter will bring him in if you fail

i said before the season the tigers were vastly overrated, there pen stinks and there rotation after verlander is awful(how much you want to bet willis gets lit up tomorrow?)

they will not win there division and will not be the WC, they may be in the running for the WC but they wont get it, and now after selling there farm for cabrera and willis they really dont have the pieces to move for a reliever of any good caliber

the WC will go to either the red sox or yankees depending on how the al east shakes up

11. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    This team needs Zumaya back yesterday and hes not due back until like July/August.

12. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    exactly it may be too late when he comes back
    if they had zumya and rodney we would be talking a different story, every team has bad games and usually every cold weather team starts slow but with the rotation problems and the pen problems it could get messy

13. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yeah I agree. They would do well to raid say the Orioles of George Sherill sooner then later. I mean Baltimore is a minor league team anyway....:pointlol:

14. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Willis with a no hitter broken up in the 5th...but 7 walks lol.

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They seriously need to find out why Willis has declined from his almost-Cy Young year. It has to be mechanical.

16. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    i dont know what it is, your the marlins fan right? well i live in florida and have watched every marlin game except when working or yankees were on tv i have seen a lot of willis

to me his stuff has flattend out, his slider doesnt have the same bite as it used to, everything seems like it is on the same plane, his fastball and slider are basically on the same plane as eachother

also his command the catcher will sit on the inside and he will throw it high and outside or if he wants it outside it will go high and tight

he has always had messed up looking mechanics but right now he cant seem to do anything rignt, it stinks because i always like willis

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If he could do it before with the same crazy look, then he should be able to do it again with the same crazy look. But how he looks when he throws isn't what I was talking about.

Detroit may have to break Willis' mechanics down and rebuild them, much like how Tiger Woods decided to change his swing a few years ago.

18. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    maybe that is the only way to fix him but when could they do that? i mean do you send him to the minors to do it?

i think it may need to be done but sometimes it takes a little while because we know baseball players are creatures of habit, they do something a certain way and they have trouble changing them

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They may have to. He's their 5th starter, so they obviously could plug someone else into that spot while Willis spends time in the minors. But then again, they're paying him $30 million.

20. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    and the bad news is the tigers lost again today. willis was awful today i thought. sure he had a no hitter, but he also had a career high in walks. as you guys are saying something is definately wrong with willis. whether its mental, or in his mechanics/delivery, the tigers better find out what it is asap before theyre wasting an awful lot of cash

21. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    now they are getting pounded tonight, they had some horrific defense, they didnt help verlander out thats for sure

22. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Its still early but I said before the season started they have no pitching. After Verlander every active pitcher on that team is very mediocre.

23. brandon27

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    wow, if i was a huge tigers fan, i'd be very worried right now. 0-6 now??? thats not looking good indeed. sure its still early, but that is definately not a good sign. Especially since they really haven't been all that competitive in any of these games either with the exception of their home opener. Maybe this road trip theyre about to start will help them. Its amazing though how guys like bonderman, and robertson were so effective a couple of years ago, and now theyre just average pitchers...

however luckily for me, the tigers are 2nd on my list, and thats only because they're just across the river! go jays go! :up:

24. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    if you look at the tigers pitching staff stats in 2006 they had career years, outside of verlander who is a stud and starting in 07 there stats came back to normal

25. DonShula84

Jan 3, 2008
    Anyone know how many teams have made the playoffs after starting 0-7? Obviously with such a long season it isnt that difficult of a task, just wondering if there's any possible connection to how a team starts and finishes.

26. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I dont dislike the Tigers, but I do think its kinda funny whats happening to them. Personally (while I may be in the minority on this) I hate it when teams load up in the offseason via trades and FA.

Detroit got rid of their 4 best prospects (Maybin, Jurrjens, Miller, Hernandez) for a young stud, an injury prone SS and an inconsistent young lefty.

I understand where Dombrowski is coming from in trying to win a Championship THIS year its what he gets paid for. But the best team in the regular season rarely wins a WS. If memory serves the Wild Card teams have had pretty good success this decade.

So why not develop those young guys with a team only a year removed from a WS birth? They'll get hot and win some games, they're too good not to. But sheesh.

27. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    not sure, but during the Mets-Braves game on FOX on Saturday they said no team has won the World Series after starting 0-4.

28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    and I'm sticking with my Braves over Tigers World Series prediction :)

29. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    Woohoo, Go Tigers!!!!! They got their first win! :D