Devante Parker has successful foot surgery(replaced screw)-ready for week 1

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phins_Fan_87, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    I think we can relax a little. Fixing it now is better than not fixing it. He's still gonna be a beast!

Larry Little likes this.
  2. thejetssuck

thejetssuck Member

Oct 7, 2009

Don't get our hopes up! Remember who our owner is!!

3. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Due to Philbin, our depth chart, and the usual rookie learning-curve for wideouts, I wasn't expecting much from him early on anyway. Get this taken care of for the long-term. I imagine he can still serve as a nice RZ piece for most of the year, which is where we were going to feel his biggest impact anyway, imo.

The concern this raises is basically...another injury would REALLY suck. Especially Cameron, which is unfortunate because that's like his thing. But we still have options on the outside, and may even be more free to split Cameron out there more often where he's quite effective. Landry says he wants to play on the perimeter more too, though I'm not too optimistic.

This is not a huge loss, but another would be a blow. A small piece of me is happy that Mathews may get some more snaps as I still think he's legit and needs opportunities.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I don't think that's going to happen. It would have if they had kept Clay on top of signing Cameron but they didn't do that. Their base offense in 2014 was a 3-WR/1-TE personnel package. They used that package a super majority of the time, something like 90+ percent. Now that they've added Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker and Greg Jennings...that's not going to go down. If anything it could go up even more.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, makes the signing of Greg Jennings more important.

I more have eyes fixed on Cameron Jordan, Wr's are not that difficult to replace (imo) Clay was huge in the offense, if Jordan does not live up to expectations we are in a bad way

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

In my dreams: Philbin under-utilizes Devante all year, Tannenbaum is in Ross' ear and Philbin is fired. Lazor promoted to HC. Parker returns, as does a now-motivated Dion Jordan after his suspension and with a Head Coach who connects with him.

Playoffs ensue.

Then I wake up.

Pandarilla likes this.
  7. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    But if they consider Cameron as more of a WR on some plays, they'll theoretically have 2 TEs on the field (Cameron and Sims) while still keeping true to the 3-WR/1-TE package that you state. I think they could play around with the idea of moving Cameron quite a bit.

Fin4Ever, djphinfan and Piston Honda like this.
  8. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Whoa! Just saw a ghost for a second. You reminded me of someone else :wink2:

9. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    They split Charles Clay off the formation like a wide receiver about half the time in 2014. That didn't make them any more likely to use 2-TE sets.

What I'm saying is if you are increasing your use of 2-TE sets then you are decreasing the number of snaps given to the WR unit. But the WR unit has a lot of higher profile players in it now, between Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker and Jarvis Landry, and even Greg Jennings. You'd rather have any of those guys on the field than Dion Sims unless there's a structural problem in the defense you're facing that you think you can exploit.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think you're totally right, CK. I think that Sims will only really get on the field in short yardage/goal line packages and when Cameron needs a breather. He's about the 7th or 8th best receiving option that we have now.

11. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    This. I think this is a bigger deal than some here think. Timing, route running, reading defenses, building a rapport with RT17, etc. Just seems like this is always our luck...

Fin4Ever likes this.
  12. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Screw. Anyone else sensing some, uh, irony here?

Fin4Ever likes this.
  13. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    yea honestly the only optimism I have that Philbin's gone with a non-playoff season is Tannenbaum will be pushing hard to fire him (we know Hickey won't, Philbin's the only reason he got the GM job in the first place) ...and Ross still might reject Mike T's advice and just keep him since he'd still have one more year left on his deal, so Ross pushes back Queasy's make or break season one year to 2016, the same way he apparently pushed it back last year from 2014 to 2015.

If there's one thing I've learned in the 7 years Ross has owned this team...it's to never underestimate his stupidity.

Pandarilla likes this.
  14. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Lol, your understanding of other people's positions are laughable. You already know hence you tried to preempt the argument. I'm saying, there are plenty of chances for players to work together during the mandatory practices. Mike Wallace isn't going to improve his timing on deep passes with Ryan Tannehill, because you aren't going to have Mike Wallace run hundreds of sprints during the offseason outside of training camp. Do you want his legs to turn to jello?

Mike Wallace, the guy who notably skipped offseason pre-training camp training with Tannehill, had the 4th highest QB rating IN THE LEAGUE with each other. From mid-50s to 114. Must have been all of that voluntary off-season training Wallace did with Tannehill. Oh wait! Yeah, they didn't. And he went from terrible to 4th best in the league rating wise.

Tanny and Wallace were never going to connect deep. But they were pretty damn good short and midrange and with only 30-50 deep passes all year, that's where it was most important, short and medium range. 114 rating. No voluntary unorganized practices. 4th best.

Did I mention 4th best?

Fin4Ever likes this.
  15. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I thought we already had an ex-Dolphin thread guys...

Wallace is Minnesota's problem now.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The problem is you have ridiculous stances, so when I bring them out to their logical conclusions, you pretend you have a different point.

Take this for example, your stance has one of two conclusions......

1. Practice isn't important.
    2. There's a magic number of practices you think is plenty, that after that number is reached, all further practice is unwarranted.

If its, #1, then please explain your evidence. If its #2, please show the magic number, its evidence, and then show that in the course of TC that number is being met by the team.

BTW, I preempted, because you ALWAYS do this.

17. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I always do it, because you're always wrong. You don't want me to make a poll about how many people think you misstate and/or misunderstand their arguments. I'm not trying to make it personal, but it is what it is.

For example, this. Because I've said in the past, people making a big deal out of voluntary, unorganized practice are making a mountain out of a molehill. Pitch and catch against air isn't going to help wide receivers. They need a cornerback pressing and pushing the WR around. Any WR will catch any ball when there is nothing but air to stop them. Practice, ACTUAL practice, helps. Pitch and catch against air, in your underwear? Meh. The two best WRs last year were not even present for this pitch and catch session in March. Odell Beckham missed training camp, preseason and 4 games and EXPLODED.

Training camp, actual training camp against defense in pads? Yeah that helps. That's my point. It's always been my point. What they do on their own, in the middle of spring, in shorts and shirts, doesn't compare.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Make whatever poll you want, I don't really care.

We are talking about a QB and WR who never got on the same page deep. Practice would help with that chemistry, whether it involves press or air. Saying it wouldn't help, is saying practice is unimportant. You are just redefining your stance every time you're called on it, cause that is what you do.

That's not even taking into account more nebulous things like teamwork and bonding....which all help.

Your anecdotal evidence means nothing. You are bringing lawyer ball to a common sense fight. It is common sense that the more they work together the better their chemistry will get. Only people with an agenda will argue differently. Make that poll while you're at it btw.

19. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm kind of sick and tired of the rating argument. For a guy so interested in what Tannehill's deep ball numbers over 30 yards are, I'd think you'd understand that when people are talking about chemistry, they aren't talking about from 20 yards and in, which is where Wallace caught a bunch of his touchdowns (abnormally, I might add). So, if you're REALLY interested in rating, as it pertains to the deep ball, wouldn't you be better served by looking at Tannehill's rating to Wallace on throws over 20 yards? Or over 30 yards? Of course, the rating argument wouldn't work for you then.

Fin D likes this.
  20. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    sucks that parker will miss the reps with tannehill but its good to get it out of the way now and get ready for the preseason and regular season and let the problem linger.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  21. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    1. What if Jennings plays really well? No one will be frustrated. In fact, I think people are more likely to be frustrated by Kenny Stills if he and Tannehill can't get the long ball going. TBH, Greg Jennings is my favorite WR acquisition, in the short term. As in, for the 2015 season. Dolphins fans are sleeping on him. He's a fantastic fit for this offense and Ryan Tannehill's skill set. Wouldn't surprise me if he catches 75+ balls, 1200 yards, 8-10 TD's.

2. Parker's production was always likely to start slow anyway, given Philbin's distrust of rookies. But there's no reason he couldn't come on like Jarvis Landry did, after getting his feet wet in the first quarter of the season.

Fin4Ever and Da 'Fins like this.
  22. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Is Lazor HC material? Honest question. I don't know. I do know that the Dion Jordan part is a fantasy. That kid doesn't get it. 3 violations in less than a year? Kid's a moron and doesn't love football. He can go now.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  23. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    He certainly looks and talks the part. And he seems smart as hell.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  24. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    [​IMG]

...boy, sure would've been nice to know

[​IMG]

A LITTLE BEFOREHAND!!!

MikeHoncho likes this.
  25. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    There were 20 passes thrown past 30 yards, all year according to ESPN. Taking those into account, assuming they were mostly to Wallace, taking those into acccount ... Ryan to Wallace resulted in 114 rating, 4th best in the NFL. UP from 60 or so last year.

Yeah you're sick and tired of the rating because it's inconvenient to your opinions. If Tannehill had a 114 rating altogether, you wouldn't be sick of ratings arguments.

Keep in mind the ratings were good to Landry and Hartline too. 105 to Landry.

26. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm not sure. You already heard riffs between players and him last year. They denied it, but you can tell by his press conferences and statements he's very, very blunt. An excellent X and Os guy might be the worst head coach ever.

27. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I wouldn't exactly call a disgruntled Hartline and Wallace complaining to Lazor about their lack of individual production a "rift". That to me is just Wallace being Wallace and Hartline being Hartline, hence one of the many reasons either are not on the team anymore.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  28. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Def agree that 3 wide will continue to be the base formation. I'm thinking 2 TE sets for specific situations, vs the Bills & Jets for matchup reasons, also while protecting leads or looking to slow the tempo of a game.

29. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    The thing about Parker is that he still needs work on route running - and that's an issue for this year if he misses time in camp.

At the same time, though a few have been touting him as a potential starter - in part because they thought the FO would force Mhilbin's hand to do so whether Parker was a better option than Jennings, I don't think he would have necessarily been the starter or a good option at starting.

But, I think Parker will still be able to come in and do some things that he probably would have been best at even before the surgery (assuming it's a full recovery) - which is playing outside and being a threat down the sideline or on slants or in the red zone. Especially against smaller corners on jump balls.

Parker can still be a threat when they go 4 wide as #4 WR and slowly work on being a good outside option. Not having to start he can take some opportunity to keep learning mentally and to work extra on perfecting his routes and also perhaps slowly develop his health over the course of the first several games.

In addition, there's going to be less expectations early on. So, that may take a bit of pressure off b/c of the injury.

As long as he fully recovers it is a long season and he can do well. The greatest concern is whether this will impact him longer term.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  30. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Agreed. If Parker can handle a handful of basic routes he'll be able to produce, even if he's not one of the top 3 guys to begin the season. Hell, Hitman Hartline was a very good route runner but he was basically out there taking up space last year, especially in the red zone.

Fin4Ever and Da 'Fins like this.
  31. VManis

VManis Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 10, 2010

Why do you dream of failure? In my dreams Philbin learns from his past mistakes and the Dolphins go on to be the first team to replicate the perfect season.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    People say Wallace should have worked with Tannehill to get more chemistry on the deep ball. You say incorrect, and then cite an inflated 114 rating to Wallace, as if that means anything in the contet of the deep ball. I point out that the rating is inflated because of tds caught in the red zone, and say that the rating argument is not applicable to balls thrown 20+ yards. Again, WHO CARES about a rating on under 20 yards passes when talking about deep ball chemistry? What was Tannehill rating with Wallace on balls traveling 20 yards or more? Not 114, I know that. You're being disingenuous by citing the 114 rating add evidence that they didn't need better chemistry, or that Wallace wasn't part of the issue on deep balls.

I'm not sick of the rating, I'm sick of your incorrect application of that rating

Fin D likes this.
  33. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Maybe this little set back will help people calm the hell down on him being our next super star. I expect good things from him but he's got a lot to learn.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  34. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Exactly. Perfectville, population 2. The commercial features the old Dolphins in their front yards welcoming the team to the neighborhood as they pile out of the moving van, all celebrating by drinking the product being advertised.

Fin4Ever likes this.
  35. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he's just a big athletic wide receiver..move his *** around all over the field...love him.

Fin4Ever and 77FinFan like this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    i disagree with your evaluation of Fin..

Fin D likes this.
  37. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I aint sleepin on jennings..hes a perfect fit for ryan..matches up well with juice..

Fin4Ever and 77FinFan like this.
  38. Bpk

news of a successful surgery when you had no idea there was even a health concern is about as worthy of celebration as news of a successful divorce when the last time you heard the couple was happily married.

SICK, Fin4Ever, jdang307 and 3 others like this.
  39. Bpk

how about sleepin with jennings? any change of heart?

yes? no?

40. jdang307

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Wallace defended Lazor. We've heard through sources that Lazor LOVED Wallace. Don't think it was Wallace. Most likely Hartline. But Lazor is very, very blunt. That could work, maybe it doesn't.