1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Devolpmental League??//I Would Love This

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Phoenician Fan, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    They've had a developmental league. There are some guys who surely benefited from NFL Europe, but I doubt it even came close to justifying the costs.

It was also the worst football I think I've ever seen in my life.

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I think its a great idea to bring some sort of developmental league back. Pulling it off however is a completely different challenge. The article talked about selling off the TV rights, but really, what network, aside from the leagues own NFLN would be interested in paying to air those games. How many people are actually going to go out and watch them play in whatever stadiums they hold the games in. It's a hard thing to fund I'd have to imagine. The idea of keeping it centralized and to a specific region is a good idea to cut down on the costs. It'll be interesting to see where this thing goes. I think everyone knows its necessary to have, its just a matter of figuring out the right way to pull it off.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I would put the teams in cities without teams that would be able to sustain one. If it could be kept within one region as you said that would help.

5. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Only way this work IMO is if it attracts young HS talent. Right now the disparity between people who can start in the NFL, and those who can't even get off the practice squad is huge. Unless you can attract stud HS players who can't get into a quality college, it'd just be full of cast-offs who can't even make an NFL practice squad.

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    my post from their comments section...

It seems so obvious to have a D league yet we still don’t have one. The problem is logistics. At what point do you actually have teams square off against each other?

In between January and August, the NFL signs players for their OTA’s, minicamps and training camp. The NFL roster is set at 90 players between the draft and the end of August.

So once the NFL rosters are cut down to 53 players, you’ve got 1,184 players trying to cram their way (if eligible) onto the practice squad (256 players total) of 32 teams.

That leaves 928 players on the street between the end of August thru to January.

On a 45 man roster D league, that’s roughly 20 teams worth.

But… if you’re going to run the D league in between that time frame, TV revenue is going to be absolutely minimal… you’re competing against the NFL and College football for viewership. Lets face it, TV revenue is what keeps leagues afloat. The local attendance revenues will only get you so far.

If you try to hold the league during the NFL’s offseason, in the Spring (where you could actually get some TV $), what type of product can you put out there if a vast majority of your player pool is not available to you?

Logistics.

A possible solution?

A Year Round Season. 8 games in the NFL offseason. 8 games in the NFL regular season. Same teams, same competition. You just have a break in the May thru August months. This way you solve a lot of the logistical issues. You generate interest in the league in the Spring. And perhaps some of that interest carries over to the Fall.

The NFL still needs to be involved in the D league though. Whereby players can be called up to the pros under certain criteria.

7. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Technically they still do have a developmental league. The CFL ;p

8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Don't really care for it... NCAAF/CFL is enough..... if you can't develop into an NFL player after 4 years in the NCAA and a couple years in the CFL or a few years on the practice squad of some NFL team, then it's not meant to be... A small fraction actually have turned out to be stars or even serviceable from a "developmental league/CFL" like Wake, Steve Young, etc... but most are barely serviceable..

But the NFL has billions, if they want to fund it go ahead. I just don't see it ever being as successful as baseball or basketball, football is way different than either of those sports..

77FinFan likes this.
  9. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
  10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
  11. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

I know myself and tons of buds from work would go if they had one here in San Antonio.

12. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

They drive for U.P.S., and get in that way.

13. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    They would get paid for being in the program. Use that money to pay for college. Most of them don't really want an education anyways, and if they don't then they don't belong there. Take the cash and put it in the bank, and get a real job like the millions of us who aren't football players.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

You're stereotyping athletes as idiots with no other life goals which isn't true at all.

How much are these guys going to get paid in reality? It won't be a thing generating major income so I don't see where this cash is coming from unless the NFL wants to run it at a loss.

15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm sure that the additional advertising revenue from showing everything on the NFL network would more than cover the costs involved.

16. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    The NFL already had a developmental league. It is called college football. I give a developmental league about a 1% chance of being a success. I just don't see many people tuning in to watch what would basically be a minor league for the NFL.

I know I love watching the NFL and college games, but I would have no interest at all in spending any time watching developmental players on television. It seems like a complete waste of money by the NFL, IMO.

18. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would if I know the players were officially tied to the dolphins, or maybe have a 2nd draft of players from the d league after a year of playing..

19. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    As you know, prior to moving to Hawaii, I had season tickets for over 40 years. In all that time, I didn't go to more than maybe a half dozen preseason games and I didn't attend any preseason games over the last 15 years I was a season ticket holder.

Even when the preseason games are on TV, I usually stop watching once the starters are pulled from the game. I only care about those players who are on the roster during the regular season and I just don't have much interest in the players who aren't on the team once the season begins. I know I could NEVER sit and watch a game involving what would basically be minor league prospects who probably will never play in the NFL.

I guess some people would because they will watch football, even if it is minor league football. I have no problem with those who like watching this type of football. I just don't see these minor league games attaching much of a fan base or television audience.

20. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would rather watch a developmental NFL league than college games. It would be a college all star game every week.

21. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I enjoy college football because the majority of the players are playing for their school, plus the the enjoyment of the game and 99% of them know they will never play at the next level.

If I am going to watch players who are getting paid to play the game, I'll stick with those in the NFL. They have already shown that they have what it takes to play at the highest level of the game.

I have no problem with those who would watch players in a developmental league. There are some people who love to go to minor league baseball games or developmental NBA basketball games.
    It just isn't my cup of tea.

22. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I find it hard to watch college football because it is so inferior to the NFL. I only like watching the good teams go against the good teams.