1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dexter Season 8

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by BlameItOnTheHenne, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Seriously, how GREAT & PROPER of a scene would it have been in the final season to witness ALL of Dex's garbage-wrapped dead bodies piled up together while Batista, Quinn, and Masuka sit there brutally dumbfounded?!! You'd have the goddam phrase of the season as a diver comes to the surface with the first body---> "Hey guys, I think we're gonna be here for a while".

These writers and producer fuggin' suck and deserve to be on B movies the rest of their sh-tty careers.

2. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well I just wasted an hour of my life I wish I could get back. What utter and complete non-sense and crap that was. Seriously, what a huge let down and a terrible final episode. There are so many things wrong with that episode, season and series I'm almost speechless. There was literally zero pay off of him being a serial killer and zero character development from him in all of the entire series yet he decides in the second to last episode to stop killing people because he found his true love and then decides in the last episode his son and Hannah would be better off without him. Really? Ugh. Total mess.

3. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah but didn't he make sure to dump all of the bodies in the Mid-Atlantic current so it would take the bodies away.

4. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    hey party pooper, what are you, a marine biologist or something.

..... or did Dex actually reference that notion?

5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    OMFG! That was my ending! Well not my ending, but it's pretty close to the ending I thought of after watching the first few episodes! I didn't think of the haunting aspect. That would have been cool. My idea would have been him getting executed with a smile on face. He would have been purposely caught by doing some act of redemption, but knowing that he needed to pay the price for what he had done

btw, the amnesia thing I don't get

Claymore95 likes this.
  6. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    [video=youtube;A3XmjQySbL0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A3XmjQySbL0[/video]
    oh and Dexter did not have amnesia...Its a fantasy created by a lumberjack who suffered from brain damaged while at work

maynard likes this.
  7. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    wait, you don't get why they chose to give him amnesia or you don't agree that's what the ending was?

8. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I wish I had amnesia so I could have forgotten the whole thing.

To be honest with you, they should just reshoot a final episode and have it take place after season 4 and forget everything past that ever happen. Least they can do.

maynard and ToddPhin like this.
  9. Jt0323

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

Ray Finkle and ToddPhin like this.
  10. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    LOL. Sadly I agree. I still would've loved to have seen all his victims piled up together at the end as sort of an homage to Dex, and for those of us who've lost track of how many bodies there were since he hasn't done a lot of killing the past few seasons. Would've been aropros of a final season.

11. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    I guess both. I don't understand why it would be a thing :lol:

Just seemed like he faked his death and disappeared. Kinda plain view I guess

OR if I'm getting interpretive (I haven't looked this up or saw it anywhere (and it may be very stupid)) the "Dexter" we saw at the end wasn't actually Dexter. It was another unknown serial killer in the Northwest wearing the mask of Dexter

This is why I stay away from theories...

ToddPhin and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  12. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    but if you wanna fake your own death [emphasis on remaining alive through it], wouldn't driving a small boat into a hurricane be a risky way to go about it? :lol: I mean, wouldn't you just push the throttle down and jump off close to the docks?

I took it as he wanted to end himself b/c he had nothing left to live for after feeling like he had to abandon his son & Hannah while also no longer deriving the same pleasure from killing. So I thought the show was attempting to insinuate the Dexter of old would live on and get back to his killing ways thanks to a bout of amnesia.

maynard likes this.
  13. Claymore95

Claymore95 Working on it... Club Member

Sep 8, 2012
    Peebles, Scotland
    Spot on. Him leaving coincides directly with this show going down the pan after the Trinity season.

14. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Man its been almost 12 hours and I'm still mad at that episode. I still can't believe that Dexter never got caught in the series run or the last season he wasn't in any danger. Instead it was Hannah that was. Did anyone even like her character?

Really the ending should have been Dexter finally caught, and while on death row haunted by all the people he killed and Harrison is with Deb now. Doakes' name should have been cleared and Dexter should have taken the fall for Maria's death too. The problem is Dexter is a villain, yet the writers treated him like a hero unlike Breaking Bad or The Shield for example. Where in those shows, yes at times you rooted for the bad guy but the writers always pulled you back in to realize "hey this guy is bad".

I mean after all I still can't get over the fact that Dexter faked his death and let his son go off living with a serial killer, totally and completely unfair to both Harrison and Hannah. And it's not like he as a person is a curse and leads to bad things, it's when he kills that brings out the bad in others. And in the 2nd to last episode he stopped killing so thus shouldn't be a curse anymore right? Does anyone else's brain hurt really thinking about these plot holes?

And yes having Dexter's last season side by side with Breaking Bad's is seriously exposing the Dexter series.

Claymore95 and ToddPhin like this.
  15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Here's actually a decent interview with the Dexter writers:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/09/23/dexter-interview-series-finale/

But it's clear that they're full of it in defending the final season with a lot of their answers, especially how they didn't want Miami Metro to find out about Dexter because it didn't feel right or would have felt repeative. The whole freaking series was basically a repeat of each season just with different characters.

16. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Not the endiing I was hoping for but on the plus side it left room for a spinoff series in the future ala 24 Hours .The logic is that Michael Hall will try his hand on a new series and if it flops he may want to come back as the Lumberjack axxer or some such in a Return of Dexter.:lol:

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Now that I think about it. Having Dexter re-locate after say Rita's death or something like that would have been cool. They could have surrounded Dexter with a whole new cast which would have been nice because you knew exactly what every character in Miami would say in any situation and it got old

18. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    While I agree they should have changed things up after Rita's death, the problem with that is even if you add in a new cast and location Dexter would still have to work at a police department so he can work on the crime scenes so he can find his next victim so it would still be more of the same. Rita's death should have been the beginning of Dexter's end in exposing him for who he really is. The series just had some much potential and it was completely wasted because they played it safe and got comfortable.

Really what should have happened or how I would have played things would be after Rita's death, Quinn doesn't think Dexter is telling the truth and hiding something so he starts to investigate Dexter and find out about Dexter's "secret" only to have Dexter kill him at the end of the season with Deb walking in on him doing it (like how they did it in the Colin Hanks season). I'd have Deb and Quinn still get together so Quinn's death will have a big impact on her. Then still have LaQuerta notices things are off about the Quinn murder and she starts an investigation on his death and notices similiars with his death and the Bay Harbor Butcher so she wants to also to clear Doakes name. At the end of the season LaQuerta and Dexter together with Maria on the kill table with Deb walking in and shoots LaQuerta like she did. So at the start of the season Deb quits the force and is a mess because of what Dexter put her through. Angel gets all of Maria's stuff and while looking through it notices that Maria was looking into both Dexter and Debra (the viewer doesn't know about the Deb part, just thought she was only looking into Dexter) so Angel becomes suspicious. Angel talks to Masuka in private to look into some DNA of Deb and somehow Dexter finds out and knows Deb is going to be arrested for Maria's murder so Dexter turns himself into the PD to save Deb and Deb ends up with Harrison. Then you can have all the old killings haunt Dexter while he's walking to death row and he sits in the chair, he smiles and it ends with the switch being turned on.

I do think in Seasons 5-8 the writers had some good ideas, they just never went all the way with them and fell back in the basic Dexter formula. But I think it would be important to show that Dexter, after all was a bad guy himself and thus should be punished.

maynard likes this.
  19. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ..... which could help us erase the memory of this final stinkin' season. Dexter Part Deux, only this time he's a full-blown psychopathic killer, and the show features dual protagonists- Dexter the killer, and an awesome detective tracking him down, with camera time split between them. That way we'd have a full series of dealing with the torment about what happens to Dexter and if and how he gets caught. Then in the final episode he gets hit on the head, the amnesia goes away, and the final scene shows him in a pastel shirt, strapping on latex gloves, and then standing over a body at a crime scene. :shifty:

It could be the U.S.'s way of duplicating BBC's "The Fall" which impressively portrays this concept to a T. Anyone complaining about what Dexter should've been this final season is doing a disservice to themselves for not checking out this outstanding show.

20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I thought Dex's surrounding cast has been pretty blah the past few years. I like Masuka but the rest left room for desire. Quinn's caked on makeup grew annoying and seemed more suited for a daytime soap. Batista isn't very engaging. Deb is a sh-tty actress with a limited repertoire of facial expressions who grew boring once the nostalgia of her potty mouth wore off. Getting an Australian actress to play Hannah? Seriously? Couldn't find an American one who could put her entire focus on Hannah rather than Hannah the American?

i.e. Dexter relocating midseries would've been a blessing.

maynard likes this.
  21. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    It's so funny. When Saxon walked into Dexter's apartment, I turned to my wife and said, "Freeze moth a f***er!" Half joking.....and then Deb said it lol

ToddPhin likes this.
  22. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Oh I like all of that. I think him sacrificing himself for Deb would be key and I really do like the death row thing with the ghosts

Thing is though, his job became less and less important as the series went along. Heck he could have just dated a female Lundy and peak in her computer every night or really anything. The 'hiding in plain sight' wasn't much of a big deal after the first few seasons. Many serial killers are transients. I think that would be have been a cool exploration of how serial killers move in an out of communities and have multiple cover lives. They touched on this with Saxon a bit at the end.

23. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    That's why I LOVE "The Fall". The show does an outstanding job of giving us both Paul Spector the serial killer and Paul Spector the loving father, husband, and concerned grief counsellor. The show is dripping with realism and believability. I WISH Dexter could've been on this level. With Dexter you root for Dex regardless of what he does. With The Fall, you're fully conflicted about Paul Spector who displays a moral compass & compassion when not acting out his disturbing evil side. Plus there's a great cat & mouse game with him and the lead detective.

24. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    hmmmm. never saw it

25. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    This is why you don't write for a series.

You really think that Dexter...would have sold his boat without resetting his lorance? Really? Especially since the Lorance resets with the push of one button.

26. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    Is this any less plausible than a US Marshall not recognizing the most wanted man in Miami strapped to a table? :lol:

ToddPhin likes this.
  27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    when he's got a lot on his mind, yeah- it's easily believable. It wouldn't be the first time Dex slipped or forgot something, doofus. For added drama they could've shown him remembering after the fact that he forgot to reset it.

Yeah like Dex being dumb enough to drive into a hurricane to fake his death is more plausible. Ditto for giving him amnesia and leaving us thinking he's reverted back to Dexter 1.0 again, which is full of more holes than forgetting to reset his lorance.

28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    should be tops on your list..... especially as a rebound from Dexter.

maynard likes this.
  29. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    .... or Dex strolling out of a hospital carrying a dead body wrapped in a sheet?
    .... or Deb's heart monitor still registering after her finger sensor was removed.
    .... or the U.S. Marshall not tracking down Hannah amidst a beach house with all the windows wide open or when she immediately leaves it numerous times with Dex or Deb.
    .... or being wanted by a U.S. Marshall and then leaving all the windows open and subsequently exiting the house in broad daylight when she could easily be seen.

maynard and Ray Finkle like this.
  30. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    True but he still used the crime scenes to track killers and used the PD database to match DNA, last known location etc. I think it would have been hard for him to track killers without working for a PD, unless he just started killing random people and not "bad murderers".

maynard likes this.
  31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I just don't think the show had a good enough surrounding cast to support the show once it moved away from Dexter the killer.

32. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its the code oriented avenger vigilante aspect that made Dexter as a serial killer palatable at least to me .Obviously the series was pure fantasy ,fiction and pure escapism.

I would have no interest in seeing a series that deals with the real sicko type of serial killers which they all are.There is no way to justify or glamorize what they do IMO.:pity:

33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Crunch, if you're referring to "The Fall" that I referenced, none of the killing is glamorized or justified. For most serial killer movies/shows, they typically either only give the audience the murder-related stuff or they keep the killer's identity a mystery for a while. With "The Fall", it immediately introduced us to him and then spends considerable time showing us how he difficultly balances his daily life [as a father, husband, and grief counselor] with his serial killer one, as well as the difficulty in general with living the encumbered life of a serial killer, both of which are far from like it was in Dexter where everything typically turned out peachy for Dex. It's a fascinating psychological thriller/drama with a focus on realism. Gillian Anderson plays the detective [the other protagonist], and she does an excellent job. The viewer ultimately wants to see him caught, but you're not in a hurry b/c the cat & mouse game between them is too enjoyable and the show is so well done; in this regard it reminds me of "Zodiac" (2007).

The show is every bit as good as the trailer would lead you to believe.
    [video=youtube;dyFrBC1rAcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyFrBC1rAcg[/video]

34. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    a Little. LOL

35. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    "Doofus"? really?

36. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://tvline.com/2014/05/26/dexter-series-finale-michael-c-hall-reaction/

From the serial killer's mouth.

37. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    NaboCane likes this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Out of curiosity, what specifically did everyone hate about the ending?

39. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    It didn't flow naturally. I think the story was put into place very artificially for the purpose of ensuring a "happy ending." I could say the same for the entire season.

And yet, the previous season actually showed signs of life and was quite good. Only to return to form of the last few previous seasons and become crap.