1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Henne just take another baby step in his development?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Also, one big positive I'm seeing from Henne is he is continuing to get a lot better at feeling pressure and scrambling.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    How is the offense built around Pennington?

3. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Mastrud, Shuler, Moore, Wallace. Next? Oh wait... An interesting thing btw, Mastrud, Moore, and Wallace were not drafted.

ToddsPhins and adamprez2003 like this.
  4. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Compared to the options available you have to admit Henne has faced some horrendously tough teams to beat. Not like Alex Smith and now even Kyle Orton or Carson Palmer/Matt Hasselbeck are such great options. We're stuck with the guy. Much greater gains to be had trying to re-establish the running game next season. At least it's easier, plus it probably means we can add two linemen instead of just one if you go with Henne.

How does Ryan Kalil sound against the NTs we face? Kalil+Mankins?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

This offense is built for a guy that can throw short, accurate, and won't take chances on low percentage passes. We have an offense and scheme predicated on running the ball and only making a few mistakes. We have a QB who seems built to make boneheaded mistakes but earn them back on a quick drive downfield with chunk yardage. Our offense seems methodical while Henne seems restless. Fire and Ice, Oil and Water, etc, etc.

ToddsPhins, resnor and DePhinistr8 like this.
  6. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Intentionally blocking facts out? When will you account for the fact that Flacco and Ryan's teams have gotten better because they got better? Every play on offense goes through the QB (well except for wildcat plays). So of course it's the guys around the QB that made Flacco and Ryan better ... Of course. Yea.

So Flacco got some better receivers, and he gets better. Henne gets Marshall a top WR in the league, Bess looks better than last year, Hartline looks as good in spurts, so Henne should also look better. But wait, oh wait, he looks worse.
    So are you saying the players around Henne got worse so it makes Henne look worse? That makes no sense. So when we talk about blocking facts which facts are we talking about here.

7. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I'm not going to argue that Henne has struggled a lot this year, but to say he looks worse than last year is garbage. I actually think he's gotten slightly better, though he needs to stop throwing interceptions.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Geeze. I mean really Jdang? When will you account for the fact that our entire offense is **** and it's pretty damn hard to get better in it? So you're going to tell me John Elway didn't sit in Denver with bad numbers and no rings until his team around him got better? That Drew Brees didn't get measurably better once he got to New Orleans? Are you seriously going to make a statement as dumb as the players around a QB doesn't make him better? This is a team sport. Every play on offense goes through the QB. Most of our offensive plays were run plays. 4 were sacks. A few were drops. A few were throw aways. A few were bad throws. A few good throws earky including a TD in tight coverage. Show me where anything but the bad throws were on him. In 2009, the Falcons regressed because Ryan regressed. His numbers were average and his team was average. But if you look at it, he's still throwing to an elite WR, a HOF TE, and has an elite running game. What kind of a dumb statement are you even trying to make? To say that having seasoned veterans like Todd Heap and Tony Gonzalez, Roddy White, and Derrick Mason, didn't make those guys better isn't even something that can be debated. It's fact.

As for Henne gets Marshall. Marshall hasn't played well for the MAJORITY of this season. You can call him a top WR to make a damn point but how well has he been playing? Bess does look better than last year and Henne has gotten it to Bess hasn't he? Hartline looks goodish when other receivers look good (Bess usually) and he gets lax coverage and then Henne gets the ball to him. They can't look good if the QB isn't throwing to them. Wouldn't that mean Henne is helping them look good? You're also not accounting stupid play calling, bad game planning, **** receivers including a #2 at best TE and a bunch of Undrafted players. What facts am I blocking out? Henne went out there yesterday and threw 18 passes with only 2 receivers against a Top 10 Defense in heavy rain and with bad play calls. What the hell else do you want besides 1 TD pass and no turnovers.

Show me once that Matt Ryan or Joe Flacco had non existent running games, ineffective TE's, two accounted for WR's and a bunch of UDFA Rookies running routes. You're not even trying to make a valid comparison.

dolfan22, ToddsPhins and resnor like this.
  9. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    He did take a huge step toward being employed by another team somewhere down the line.

2socks and schmolioot like this.
  10. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Forget baby steps. The guy is in his thrid year. We should be seeing leaps by now.

The man was horrible yesterday. There is no use sugar coating it. If we had a better option on the roster that guy would be playing.

The last two weeks he's been horrible in great conditions and bad conditions, horrible at home, horrible away. To quote John Gabriel "I don't know where else to play the games"

11. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

How many years did Aaron Rodgers sit on the bench again?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  12. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I just don't see a Franchise Qb available in the draft. Of course there is always the possibility we don't have football next year. But then again if we had a scrub league......

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I believe 3. And he was immediately good upon playing.

The year that Henne sat was supposed to help his development

14. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Maybe Aaron Rodgers is just better than Henne. Maybe Rodgers would have been awesome (like Matt Ryan) had he been thrown to the wolves as a rookie. Maybe Henne would suck if he was on the bench for 3 years.

15. Tepop84

Tepop84 Banned

Sep 13, 2010
    Chad Henne deserves to be cut. He is too stupid to ever be a good nfl qb.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I think you need to look in the mirror before accusing someone of being an idiot.

At worst Henne is a capable back-up and cheap, neither of which warrants cutting him.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I miss the times where QBs used to sit on the bench and didn't start until ready

CaribPhin and ToddsPhins like this.
  18. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Done all the time. 75% of the time receivers are covered and QB's throw to a spot (i.e back shoulder). Most of the time it works some not. Depends if the QB or receiver is telegraphing to the DB/safety/linebacker. Timing is the single most important thing on any throw.

Then you have dumb throws and throws that should have never been made. Usually a pick can be traced to one of those three reasons. Sometimes timing is off and/or a route is obvious by the half hearted effort of a receiver. Sometimes a QB just does not see a player.....ala Jason Taylor in the last game. Granted he dropped the ball, but it should have been a pick.

Truth is, all teams live and die by their QB........The Dolphins are no different

19. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I haven't read through this thread b/c I know there will be some very predictably stupid statements following a game where Henne played so poorly. There will obviously be posters who will just point out his negatives after such a game. But to answer the thread starter's question, Yes, Henne did make some anticipation throws this game. I have noticed him make some of those throws throughout the season. He's been inconsistent at that. That was one of my criticism's of Henne when I evaluated him as a draft prospect. He has definitely improved his anticipation throws since that point, but it is one of the areas where I think he is below average. Unlike the many of his critics, I don't agree that he is below average over all. IMO he has become an average QB. He's above average in some areas and below in others. I do harbor hope in the fact that he keeps showing improvement in various areas. To me that means that he could possibly become better than average. But anybody who has ever coached QBs or watched QBs develop knows that improvement often comes in the two steps forward, one step back variety. I don't see a better option for us going into next season so we better hope he continues to improve.

20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think you summed it up perfectly Stitch.

If getting a franchise QB were so easy...every team would have one...right? Just the mere fact that people cannot agree on the degree of Henne's development, should show that there is enough evidence on both sides of the argument...to make an argument. And to the degree that a significant investment would be required to replace Henne NEXT season...as long as the potential is there...you need to give him another offseason to develop.

You also have the common belief, although, not everyone agrees on this point as well, but that the OC is limiting Henne's development. The comment is made that Henne doesnt know how to finish a season with more TDs then Ints....he has 13 Ints to 15 this season...so with 4 games left...to make that kind of statement is quite a reach at this point.....

What this organization will do....is to upgrade the OC spot. We know that is going to happen...and we still dont know if Sparano will be brought back. Most likely a veteran QB of some sort will be brought in to compete with Henne...and we will draft one as well....how high remains to be seen. There is talk that we are looking at Pat Devlin.

But...Henne is not going to be gone....and there is enough evidence to show that he can be good NFL QB. We need to be smart about where we place our chips....letting Henne develop another year...in an offense that is more suited to him...and drafting another QB to groom....allows us to have the best chance to develop other areas of need, and build a QB we can pencil in for the next foreseeable future....

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. vt_dolfan

Pot....meet kettle

ToddsPhins likes this.
  22. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I don't think this is in doubt.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    As of right now I agree with the bolded part.

I do not agree that he is an average QB. He still has to work his way up to an average QB.

24. vt_dolfan

Personally....

Id take Aaron Rogers over Tom Brady....so...comparing Rodgers and Henne is kinda unrealistic. Why did so many teams pass on Rogers though?

25. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Some simply didn't have a need at that position, so drafting him over a position they did in fact need help at may have been seen as odd. Some just passed based on the he's a Jack Tedford QB; which is somewhat true as his QB's have mostly washed out in the pros. GB had a need, and he fit right into what they wanted to do.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

So sitting three years behind a Hall of Fame QB and taking over a team that went to the AFC Championship Game and lost to the Super Bowl Champions means nothing? The kid got three years to learn the game. Henne wasn't even supposed to play last year.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    I've got more doubts about Henne being the future at QB than ever, but.... until I see him playing under a competent OC and offensive system? He gets the benefit of the doubt.

If there is a chance to get a great prospect in the draft, fine. If we can get a clearly better FA option, go for it. Otherwise, rebuild the OL, get a speedy HB, a pass catching TE, and then see how Henne does.

28. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    This staff has no faith in Henne. If these guys are back, there will be a different starting QB. If there were a better option on the team right now, that guy would be playing.

Henne was horrible in beautiful weather at home and horrible in terrible weather on the road. He simply has not played well for most of the season. Any "hope" that he will continue to develop is just that, "hope". NFL teams that want to be successful can't operate on hope.

29. Auburn

Auburn New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    He'll light up Buffalo

HULKFish likes this.
  30. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I agree. I also think that game showed just how SUCKTASTIC Dan Henning is...

31. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    If I remember correctly the Tedford scenario played into it early, and then once he hit the teens there were about a dozen or so teams in a row that weren't actively looking for a QB at the time.

32. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

Well, when your WR's have 10 yards of space in all directions between them and the closest defender I'd hope a 10 year veteran looks better. However, on that pass right before the half, it was underthrown by about 4-5 yards. Lucky for him no DB was within 25.

It amazes me that people don't see that Brady's WR's get wide open 99% of the time and he also has 30 seconds on each passing play to find the open guy. Again, nearly every QB in the league would look like "Brady" in those same situations.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  33. DePhinistr8

DePhinistr8 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    Hmm..you make it sound like the offense that creates space is effective. I am so confused :) You mean we shouldn't have 2 or 3 man routes on rollouts on 3rd and 3 where everyone runs a 5 yard pattern on the right side of the hash marks?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  34. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    I read this stuff and this is not directed to any singular person but seriously........... Manning and Brady are two names that should not be used to compare ANY quarterback in this league. I mean seriously, it's Manning, Brady, and then everyone else. Why would you even mention the names? These two are first ballot locks for the Hall of Fame.

It's worse than looking at your second year running back and saying "Emmit Smith". I mean Chris Johnson is UNBELIEVABLY talented but Emmit Smith? No! You can't do it.

35. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    well yeah. If we compare Henne to Alex Smith, Carson palmer, Jason Campbell, Vince young, Jake Delhomme, Matt Moore, Derek Anderson, etc then Henne looks favorable.

And who would want that.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  36. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

In only his 33rd start this QB put up the following numbers:

49% completion rate, 123yds, 0 TD's, 4 INT's and a 22 QBR

in the same season he had the following game:

8 of 21 (38%) 112yds, 0 TD's, 0INT's and a 56 QBR

Oh noes!!! Look at those horrible games. This team should have gotten rid of the guy at the end of 35 starts! A 22 and 56 QBR says it all!!

(BTW, this QB was Tom Brady.)

37. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    You neglect to mention that Tom Brady had already won a Super Bowl by the time he got to those starts, which buys you a lot of rope.

If we had won the SB last year and Henne was the key ingredient I think he would get more rope too.

38. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Have you read ANY thread where ANYONE compares Manning or Brady to Henne? Or are you mistakenly thinking that when a person points out that Brady and Manning have either had growing pains or bad games that they are "comparing" them to Henne?

I really get sick of having to explain this...

Zod and Citizensnips are both members at "ThePhins"!!

Oh no!! I compared you two, right?

ToddsPhins likes this.
  39. Zod

Zod Ruler of the Universe

Nov 25, 2007
    Hey, I'm all for gauging progress and I can understand the whole measuring stick thing. But these dudes are legends. I mean we had Marino. The 49ers had Montana. And there are some think Troy Aikman should not be mentioned in that category by citing the team that he had around him. TROY FREAKING AIKMAN!! And we want to put second and third year quarterbacks up to the Manning, Brady measuring stick?

C'mon man! :lol:

40. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    And you fail to realize that his TEAMS were good enough to win even when he plays poorly.

You also fail to realize what the point of my post was.

ToddsPhins likes this.