1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did Henne just take another baby step in his development?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by adamprez2003, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    That is why I will say again the staff has to take heat over Henne. Especially David Lee. They haven't done anything to try to help his footwork at all. Chad is still slow in his drops and his reads are getting later and later as the season progresses. Not to mention just like in the game Sunday Henne hits Fasano in the seam for a big gain and out comes the WC in the red zone to gain a yard. Burning downs and taking Henne out of any sort of rhythm he might be getting in.
    It baffles the hell out of me.

2. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010

This. Every single time Henne makes agood/great throw they take him out.

I want to punch Henning in his face.

3. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    So if miami had to call a time out or spike the ball that would also take Henne out of any sort of rhythm?

4. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Typically, when an offense has a large gain like that throw to Fasano the offense tries to get down the field and run another passing play while the defense is on their heels.

You and Henning must have the same thought process: "Henne make great throw. Give defense time to get set. Fool them with WC play. Me brilliant. hehehe"

5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    You are describing a no-huddle offense. There are not too many offenses in the NFL that run a quick no huddle.

6. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    Every single team in the NFL practices a no huddle offense.

Again, typically after a long pass completion the OC is smart enough to realize that the faster they get the next play off the better and usually it's a passing play. Especially when you are near or inside of the redzone.

Henning, however, decides to wait on the defense and then call a running play. He's gonna fool everybody 'cause he's smart. [/sarcasm_mode]

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Henne did not go through his progressions last year and he does now. His pocket awareness is clearly better. His completion percentage has improved. To say he is not better is factually incorrect. And if you look at the development of QBs throughout history, some take big steps some don't, heck, you often see a regression in year two. If you don't know that history than you may have out of whack expectations with how QBs often develop. And then you have people jumping to wild conclusions about what Henne can and can't be. Feidler is a good example b/c he was a very polished QB with physical limitations. That polish is what resulted in all those victories. He knew better than any 2nd year QB when to play conservative and when to push it. He still often tried stuff beyond his physical abilities, but there is no way anyone should expect Henne to have even that level of polish.

ToddsPhins and MarinePhinFan like this.
  8. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    What you describe does not happen very often in a non two minute offense.

Plus if what you said was the case it would be better to run the ball because the defense is expecting a pass because a smart defensive coordinator would teach their defense to expect a pass after a long pass play, then an even smarter offensive coordinator would call a pass play, but an even smarter defensive coordinator would realize that the smarter offensive coordinator realized he knew he was going to call a run because he should call a pass, so he makes sure the defense is ready for the pass, then an even smarter offensive coordinator would call a run because the defense knows they are going to pass because they know they are going to run because it is so obvious to pass.

9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Henne does go through progressions better, just not leading into better passes.

His pocket awerness has improved from god awful to horrible.

I never said he wasn't better. I do not think he is better enough. How is Fiedler a more polished quarterback? He had less experience than Chad Henne by the time he was a starter for the Dolphins with a 10x more conservative offense.

There were many rumors that Henne's progression was disappointing to the Dolphins, and that disappointment seems to be justified.

10. fin13

fin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 29, 2009
    Waterloo
    Hey Todd thanks for your insight, I thought Henne against the Jets did what he had to do considering they were beating the crap out of him.
    He didn't make a killer mistake.
    Crowder in the post game said that they felt that if they hit the Jets in the mouth they would stay down and that's what hapenned.
    I hope Henne keeps winning regardless of the stats, he's played all the tough teams in the schedule and Sanchez just started and look what's happening.
    Henne is a second year guy without a running game and bad OL I would be a little confused too.

ToddsPhins and MarinePhinFan like this.
  11. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    You're just wrong. Watch nearly ALL teams after a long pass completion. It's not 100% of the time, but it's an overwhelming majority. And you missed the entire point. Even if the defense is expecting pass (because when the WC comes out they aren't 99.99999999999% sure it's a run) they aren't set or haven't had time to sub any players because the offense hurried down and chunked up the ball.

Honestly, I can't believe I'm having to explain this on an NFL chat forum.....

Killerphins likes this.
  12. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I really don't see how anyone could actually feel that Henne has progressed this season. His TD throws to interceptions ratio is near the bottom of all NFL QB's. He has not shown that he is capable of running a two minute offense. The Dolphins are one of the lowest scoring teams in the NFL. They average just over one offensive TD a game. Henne has not improved in his footwork and he has shown no ability to make quick reads. He also has shown terrible pocket awareness. While he appears to have a strong arm. He continues to be wildly inconsistent with his throws. There are several young QB's in the NFL who were either drafted the same year or in the years after Henne was drafted who are playing far better than Henne. Because of where the Dolphins will be drafting after this season. I see no immediate help at the QB position going into next year. This means that Henne will probably be the starting QB when next season begins. As a long time Dolphins fan. I would love nothing more than to be wrong about Henne. I hope he does turn things around and becomes the QB some on here appear to think he will. If he does. I will gladly admit that I was wrong about him. Unfortunately, right now I just don't see him improving as an NFL QB. I think there is better than a 50% chance that in two years. Henne will no longer be a Dolphin and another QB will be on the field who all of us will be hoping is the answer to our QB issues.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I didn't take that as an insulting post at all. Raf has a better understanding about stages of development etc than most on this board, so if he feels expectations are out of whack (or feel people don't understand football regarding 2nd year QBs), then he's entitled to speak freely about it. It's not like he was being derogatory toward one individual.

MarinePhinFan likes this.
  14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Actually you did. "Even with the poor playcalling Henne has not improved."

Henne's development is disappointing to me as well. I just see how much he was hindered by the offensive play calling. Basically, Henne is operating under the same conditions that Manning is facing in Indy (no running game, play action nobody buys, receivers he isn't timed up with, missing a pass catching TE). The result for a 13 year, first ballot pro bowl QB has been similar to what Henne's result was. The coaches basically set him up to fail and then wonder why he failed. I don't think it was on purpose, but it was what they did. Henne improved despite that. He showed clear progress in certain areas. The part he didn't improve in is the result. That's all most fans see. They don't see the progress or how many more passes are out on time. They base everything on the result and then point fingers without understanding. So I'm disappointed with the results, but those results were caused by the play calling and don't allow us to make any definitive determinations about what Henne will or won't be. I don't think its reasonable to put Henne in a situation that a QB like Peyton Manning couldn't succeed in and then when he fails conclude that he couldn't succeed with a better situation.

Jay Fiedler had been in the league 4 years before he started for the Dolphins. He started for the Dolphins in his 5th year. He hadn't played much but his game was clearly more polished.

15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Dialing up the WC in the red zone pisses me off every time but after that play to Fasano. Fuggin' kidding me? I was seeing red. You give them time to regroup and they know what is coming..... a run. You gain one yard. Henne comes back on the field and Ricky runs for about three. Then the fumble.
    The play calling in that serious was real bad. You have to erase limitations and attack after that play. Anyone who reads my posts knows I am a run first guy and I firmly believe you have to commit to it to be successful.
    That just wasn't the time to slow it all down.

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the henne
    took another baby-step backwards in his career as a potential franchise QB for the Dolphins.
    he should improve against a pathetic buffalo & the loser lions, then a reality check with NE
    what to do? got to play to win & hope for some breaks. from hen to a blue ribbon rooster...
    anything is possible with three games left to play & lady luck due to pay Miami a visit :yes:

17. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    The bills have one of the best secondaries in the nfl. You base your insights off of won loss records don't you

resnor likes this.
  18. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have felt that the Dolphins would go with Henne next year because they would have very few options otherwise. After thinking about it some more. I think the Dolphins will do everything they can in the off season to replace Henne. Sparano and Ireland will both most likely return next year. They both understand that Ross will be expecting improvement from the team and especially the offense. They also recognize that next year will be their fourth year with the Dolphins. So if the owner doesn't get the improvement he expects. They both know their jobs are on the line. I don't think either Sparano or Ireland want to base keeping their jobs on the play of Henne. Therefore, I don't know at this time how they will do it. But I am sure they have every intention of bringing in another QB to take over for Henne next season. So I expect the Dolphins to not only have a new OC next season. I expect this OC to be sending in the plays to a QB other than Henne.

19. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

I`ve been saying these things for a long time now. Why people fail to see the truth is beyond me. And, a lot of posters here fail to admit the real reason Henne was benched this year in the first place. Its quite simple, Henne is not a real good QB. I will be shocked beyond belief if Henne is the starting QB next year for the Dolphins. The only way thats even possible would be if he has a remarkable three games to end this season and a lights out training camp next year. The odds are strongly against that.

20. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Everybody must be forgetting that this is only his second year starting and he is playing against one of the best secondaries in the league. I believe he has a strong game in the next couple.

21. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

More excuses. If its not the weather its the OL. If its not the OL its the Offensive coordinator, if its not the OC its because he`s playing against a great secondary.... Did it ever occur to you that Henne is just not that good?

22. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sure...

Has it ever occured to you that Henne still just needs more work and development?

23. uab_phin

uab_phin New Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Before you attack someone for their assessment maybe you should dig a little deeper. Isn't possible that their great numbers against the pass are partly due to their absolutely terrible run defense? They're 27th in interceptions (3 of which came from Tavaris Jackson) in the league and 29th in sacks (not a secondary issue but it definitely affects pass defense), admittedly they have a high amount of passes defended. I mean certainly they are a good secondary, but Henne did just fine against them in week 1 and since he is progressing it should be expected that he would at least put up similar numbers. The more pressing issue is can our two broken down running backs take advantage of a terrible run defense to open it up for Henne.

24. NolePhin15

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Henne seems to have a great game and then a terrible one or two. The raiders game he was great but against the browns and jets he wasnt too good. I still believe that this is just because of how young he is and next year he will hopefully be more consistent. He usually seems to be able to move the ball down the field but throws too many int's in the other team's part of the field. Our run game wasnt too good either though in the last two games so he didnt get too much help there.

25. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    as it has been ALL YEAR. Going into this season, i never expected this much of a drop off in the running game. Hennes been forced to do it through the air in almost every game except 3-4. Not too surprisingly, Hennes best game passing also came in our best game rushing against Oakland.

26. MarinePhinFan

MarinePhinFan Banned

Oct 11, 2010
    This is just another misconception about Henne and is 100%, provably false.

Henne has 15 INT's this year if you count the BS INT against the Steelers.

2...TWO of those INT's have been inside the opponents 20 yard line.

Three have been from between the opponents 49-21.

One from inside his own 20 yard line.

And nine between his own 21-50 yard line.

So, 5 out of his 15 INT's have been inside the other team's part of the field. What this proves is that Henne is very careful with the ball deep in his own territory and everywhere inside the opponents territory.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  27. NolePhin15

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    ^^^^I agree. The running game has been such a disappointment this year. They have given Henne little help most of the time. Brandon Marshall has also been pretty bad the last few games too.

28. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    you dont pass on the bills, you run on them. they have seven turnovers in the last two games i believe. their pass rush has shown up recently and their secondary is outstanding. why would we pass on them? it wont be up to henne to win that game. it will be up to the offensive line and the running backs

29. NolePhin15

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Your right. That explains why Dan Carpenter gets so much work during the game kicking field goals. It just seems to me the Dolphins have so many turnovers on promising drives. I must just be thinking of something else (FSU probably haha).

30. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

I would love to believe that. I guess time will tell. I hate to make comparisons but a lot of posters here said the same thing about Beck when I said he was horrible. But,like i said time will tell.

31. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Well there it is. I knew the JohnBeck comparisons were coming. the guy never won a game for us so let's just shoot this weak argument down before it starts. BTW congrats on being right about Beck. I'm sure if Henne fails you will pat yourself on the back and be the first to come here and toot your own horn.
    Me, I'm going to support Henne as long as he is the QB. I am patient with kids. I want success for the Dolphins.

32. RGF

Nov 24, 2007
    NY

You really think I want Henne to fail?? You cant be serious. I have no choice but to root for him as long as he`s in a Dolphins uniform. But, rooting for him and believing in him are like night and day. I dont know Henne personally so why would I want him to fail at his job? But, if I`m right about him I`ll be far from gloating and being happy. It will be more along the lines of "damn,the QB carousel continues". I could only hope I`m dead wrong but somehow I doubt it. This is one instance where I would be estatic about being wrong.