1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Did you hear the one about Matt Flynn?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    He chose to sign with the Seahawks over the Dolphins last March. Then he loses out to Russell Wilson. Gets traded to Oakland for a late pick. Oakland, the team that let go of Carson Palmer. Oakland, with no quarteback to speak of. Now comes word that Tyrell Pryor will start the final preseason game in Oakland and that its his job to lose!!

Sometimes, the best acquisitions are the ones you don't make. Thanks Jeff and Joe!!

GMJohnson, muscle979, Gunner and 23 others like this.
  2. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    [​IMG]

down arrow matt flynn

Bpk likes this.
  3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Good thing we couldn't land him, eh rotoworld? :shifty:

4. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Do you guys wanna hear a Raiders joke?

5. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    I've always thought Pryor was talented enough to get at least warrant the chance the start in the NFL. As for Flynn, I wanted Miami to sign him because I thought he'd be an obvious choice to run Philbin's offense. Boy was I wrong, and it appears Philbin passed on him for a reason.

6. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Guilty.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Go ahead....

8. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Oh, I don't know any, just wondering if there were any other joke-lovers out there!

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

..haa.. ugh.

9. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    but.. but.. but.. he had like 500 passing yards against Detroit that one time.

10. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    Ive got a Raiders joke. Matt Flynn ha ha ha.

No for real ive got a joke

Juvie judge:
    "After hearing the facts I think you are a good kid who made a bad decision so I will send you home with your father."
    Delinquent :
    Please don't send me home with my father your honor!
    Judge: Why not?
    Delinquent : Because my father beats me!
    Judge: That's terrible! I'll send you home with your mother then.
    Delinquent: Please don't send me home with her sir.
    Judge: Why not?
    Delinquent : Because she beats me!
    Judge: That's terrible. Who can I send you home with?
    Del: The Oakland Raiders your honor.
    J: The Raiders? Why the Raiders?
    Del: Because your honor...they never beat anybody.

11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    I NEVER wanted him. my order of preference for QB last offseason was:

1) Trade up with StL for RG3
    2) Peyton
    3) Tannehill
    4) Russell Wilson

12. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I always thought the opposite. Pryor would end up being a really bad starting QB in NFL. by season's end, I don't think I'll be wrong

btfu149 likes this.
  13. LiferYank

LiferYank New Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Not a bad guess considering the Raiders history with QB's...

14. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Min is exactly the same, except sub in Luck for Griffin. Griffin was 4th on my rookie list last season, and I feel even more strongly now.

15. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Meh, fans being upset about not landing Flynn was just hangover of not landing Peyton. Where's the thread for "The one about Peyton Manning?" I know Miami never had a realistic shot at him (because of a rookie head coach and nerdy pasty legged ginger GM), but remember all those folks who thought he was done?

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    FTR, there's never been any confirmation as to why Peyton didn't have us in the running, but the most likely reason is that we weren't contenders.

17. 305

305 Brawndo Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Get off my lawn.
    Raiders could still beat the Jest

18. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No I don't think we should be laughing at anyone else s mess as we seem to have a nice long list of failures ourselves.

Drowning likes this.
  19. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Right, and Dolphin fans shouldn't dwell on it. Although I am 99% sure it has to do with the pastiness of Jeff Ireland's legs and sunglass connectors... :shifty:

But here's hoping Tannehill has a season this year that makes us happy we never had a shot at Peyton.

Fin D likes this.
  20. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Al Davis is still in charge of the Raiders...The Walking Dead of owners

[​IMG]

Paul 13 likes this.
  21. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The stej should check into getting him from the raiduhs... he'd be the best QB in the circus ring.

/wonders if Rex is going to start coaching with his back to the field since he is now conducting interviews with his back to the room. lol...

Larryfinfan likes this.
  22. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Okay, I give Philbin and Ireland credit for not overpaying for Flynn. That still doesn't make up for the fact Ireland was the teams GM when he and Parcells decided to take Jake Long, instead of Matt Ryan in 2008. That left us with having to suffer through the Henne years.

This Dolphin team would have been so much better over the past few years if Ryan had been the Dolphins first pick in the 2008 draft.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  23. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    ... or if Flacco had been available as they had him rated higher than Henne... not this again. It's spilt milk. Move on. We have Tannehill now and are improving and moving past those years.

mbsinmisc likes this.
  24. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I understand everyone's frustration with Parcells, and note I say Parcells as Ireland was essentially a "yes man" during Parcells' active tenure with the Dolphins but I submit to everyone who says we should have drafted Matt Ryan rather than Jake Long? Had we drafted Ryan, he would have been flat on his back his first few seasons as our offensive line was in SHAMBLES at the time of Long's drafting.

Chad Pennington was really a pretty good quarterback, even during his days as a *cough* Jet, but he never had an offensive line to protect him. He was running for his life in New York and as a result of the pathetic protection he had was often injured. He comes to Miami; Parcells and Ireland put focus on the offensive line and Pennington had a pretty damned good season in Miami.

The quarterback is important; I'm not taking away from the importance of the position but if his offensive line is nothing more than 5 powder puffs, that quarterback is going to be flat on his back or running for his life each and every time.

We were screwed...SCREWED from the days of "Wanny" and Randy Mueller. Our entire team needed a serious overhaul, something that wasn't going to get fixed with one the selection of ONE player in a draft.

Larryfinfan likes this.
  25. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Wholly smoke...get over it already. There were questions about whether Ryan was going to become a good pro. To date, he's won just as many championships as we have... Besides that, he walked into a ready made team, not the position he'd have been in here, so would he have been as productive here ?? We DON'T know..we can only speculate...

cuchulainn likes this.
  26. Larryfinfan

Funny how his bs antics have caught up to him... Now, on the hot seat, he decides to go flamboyant and puts his veteran, albeit flawed, QB in during the 4th qtr of a meaningless PS game... Serves him right... I actually have to feel sorry for jests fans at this point....but not too sorry...hehehe

27. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    Would be good on the roster. Of course, could be controversial too.

28. cuchulainn

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Could have been a pissing match between Rex and the new GM, who chose Geno Smith. Rex could have been trying to make a statement with playing Sanchez and had it go bad. Even before the injury, Sanchez opened with a(nother) fumble. lol...

29. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Say what you will about Ireland, but he's done a good job with QBs. Right now the only one you can point to and say he should have acquired was Matt Ryan. Even then, I'm not sure that would have outweighed the Pennington signing.

What will be interesting is to see how Tannehill performs relative to Kaepernick and Wilson, two guys that Ireland did pass on. Thats what Ireland should ultimately be judged on.

30. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Aside from that one season we won the division with an MVP runner-up at QB???

31. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

Based on your view that a QB is only good if he wins championships, Dan Marino must have been a complete failure to you.

Also your statement that Ryan walked into a ready made team is complete nonsense. The Falcons were 4-12 in 2007 and they had the 3rd pick in the NFL draft. If this was a ready made team Ryan was going to. That means that Tannehill should have led the Dolphins to the playoffs last year because the Dolphins were 7-9 in 2011. With Ryan as their QB in 2008, the Falcons went from 4-12 in 2007, to 11-5 and the playoffs in 2008. Tannehill took a 7-9 team in 2011 and finished with another 7-9 record in 2012. I would trade Tannehill for Ryan today and not think twice about it.

The fact is that the front office and the coaches for the Falcons have done a far superior job to that done by the front office and the coaches of the Dolphins over the past five years. That is the difference in these two organizations. Also Ryan has proved that he is one of the top ten QB's in the NFL, championships or not.

LBsFinest likes this.
  32. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just to be clear, you know we didn't pass on Kaepernick for Tannehill, right? We'd not have Pouncey in all likelihood if we had Kaepernick.

33. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I'm not going to claim they were a ready made team, but there is certainly an argument to be made that they were not as bad as their record (plus the addition of Michael Turner was at least as important that first year as the addition of Matt Ryan IMO). They suffered from the loss of their starting QB (Mike Vick), much in the same way our team suffered when Ricky Williams abruptly retired. We saw something similar last year too when the Colts recovered with Andrew Luck after having lost Manning before the previous season.

34. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Come on guys...you know better then to respond to the Ireland stalker club....they are all "Ireland sucks" all the time and have long ago lost any ability to be objective........or have any sense. Use that ignore ;p

GMJohnson and Larryfinfan like this.
  35. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Ryan walked into great situation in Atlanta. He was given a great running game and the signing of Gonzalez was huge. You can't ask for a more perfect set of circumstances to develop under. I don't think he would have had anywhere near the same success in Miami. In fact, I would say the odds are good that he would have been Henne-like for us (despite better talent).

Larryfinfan likes this.
  36. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    To be fair, that wasn't available until Ryan's 2nd year.

37. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Our running game was no slouch. In 2008 they rushed for an average of 4.4 ypc, us 4.2. They just rushed a hell of a lot more times. Which I know itself is a virtue. In 2009 we switched and we rushed for 4.4, them 4.2, and we rushed a hell of a lot more (in Henne's first year). They did have Roddy White, but no Gonzo his rookie year.

We had every chance to build a team like ATL did, but we didn't, starting with Matt Ryan.

38. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Correct. Thats still who I'm going to compare Tannehill to though. Obviously Pouncey is a great player, but QB is priority #1. If Kaepernick turns out to be significantly better than Tannehill, then there would be rightful criticism for Ireland missing on the QB position.

jdang307 and Stitches like this.
  39. Larryfinfan

It's still revisionist thinking...That team was better than 4-12, the coaching staff was new and they were up and coming. It was better than the team that Quitcells had started on the previous year. It just doesn't matter any longer that this guy was taken over that guy. Under that way of thinking, every GM in the league except for BB is a loser because they didn't draft Tom Brady... Ryan is one of the top ten QBs. Jake, if actually healthy (something anyone can admit isn't the fault of Ireland) is one of the top ten, maybe even top 5 LTs in the league...

There are going to always be 'shoulda, coulda, woulda's for just about every team just about every draft... Look at Bill Polian...all he did was draft Manning, put something of team around him, in the P/Os for ten years with a SB win and what does he get? He gets fired. The next guy up is in a position to draft Luck and suddenly he's a god in Indy. How many teams would like to have Flacco ?? I don't like the pick of Long over Ryan. I would have felt much better with a better option at QB than one at LT, although it was a position of need for us at the time, but it's counterproductive and has nothing to do with our position today. Tanny may turn out to be better the Ryan, who knows.

Comparing Ryan to Marino is a bit premature tho...

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I really don't know how you can make the claim that he's done a good job with QBs. Aside from Pennington, the quarterbacking has been terrible under Ireland. He "helped" pass on Ryan which led to Henne. He stuck with Henne 1 year too long which cost an opportunity at other players. He drafted Tannehill, and I respect him for doing so, but the jury is still out.

So, you're right you can argue he's made some good non-moves; but thus far the position has been unsolved and suffered from mediocre to terrible play throughout his tenure. Unfortunately in today's league, a GM is screwed if he can't get QB right. He can hit home runs all over the rest of the roster, but if he can't find that one crucial piece ultimately he'll be judged as a failure. The flip side of that is a GM can find the next Peyton Manning and just by finding that elite QB he can miss all over the rest of the roster but that QB will hide a lot of flaws.

I'm really hoping Tannehill is the guy. But if not, Ireland's report card on QBs will be about a D -, and that might be generous.