1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dimitri Tsoumpas's performance at his Proday and CFL Ecamp

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Feb 9, 2010.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://www.cisfootball.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3045

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/feature/?fid=11452

Duane Forde is a sort of CFL draft guru.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=73280&draftyear=2008&genpos=OG

His 5.46 40 is not encouraging, but the thing about Tsoumpas is he plays better then his measurables, he is a thick bodied player who is very powerful and imho probably has a great shot to stick on the Dolphins.

Tsoumpas is one of those cats who is just a football player he led the Stampeders to the Grey Cup, was a CFL all star, and was a Day 1 player in the CFL.

Imho he is sort of the anti Donald Thomas, meaning not as athletic, but more of a pure football player, Tsoumpas couldn't play BBall to save his life, he can move people off the ball really well..

I spent last preseason studying Cam Wake and sorta knew that he could play in the NFL, he was just to explosive to not make it, with Tsoumpas, imho he can play in the NFL but for a different reason, he is just a mauler on the Oline, the kind of guy who plays the same when he is dinged up or when he is 100%, he just is a stumpy blocker who anchors well and has a great punch and lockout.

His issue is pulling, he can inline pull to block, don't ask him to pull to the outside on the other side of the Oline to kick out a LB.

gafinfan, Anonymous, dolfan22 and 2 others like this.
  2. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Found this nugget after Tsoumpas signed with the Dolphins:

The Jets are scouring the CFL hard, they signed the CFL All Star kick returner Larry Taylor and worked out Ricky Foley, but this is the first I've heard of the Jets calling him the day after the Grey Cup ended (presumably).

http://forum.gostampsgo.com/showthread.php?t=14782

http://cfl.ca/article/duo-grabs-o-line-spotlight-tsoumpas-newman-buck-tradition

In all seriousness, I've spent more time than I care to admitt looking for a live interview with Tsoumpas and this is as close as I've come to it.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I believe My 2 Cents gets Weber State games. If anyone is looking for an opinion on Tsoumpa, you could contact him and maybe he can provide you with an opinion on the type of player Tsoumpa is. He evaluates prospect as well as anyone.

my 2 cents and padre31 like this.
  4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thanks Alen, .02 is typically in and out online so sooner or later he'll offer some insights to be sure.

Of the three CFLers, imho Stump has the best shot of sticking, unless RGM just blows up ala Stefan Logan as a kick returner.

And last year I had some fun during the slow period between the SB and the Draft scouting Cam Wake, Stump may be my project this year.

Kinda interesting that the Jets called him so quickly, their player acquisition strategy is very very aggressive, like Ryan camping out at Scott's house at midnight last year.

Funny thing about the Jest, rumor has it they are looking for a Right Tackle (per adamcaplan), wonder if they saw Stump as a Tackle and not a Guard?

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't know much about Tsoumpas. I guess I see him as the equivalent of having received an extra 5th or 6th round pick. I appreciate all your work in tracking that info down.

padre31 likes this.
  6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thanks Rafi, a 5th rd pick?

Maybe, maybe a 4th rd pick max, Wake was compared to a Day 1 pick, Stump would be a later rd pick, but he screams "football player" if one watches his CFL mashups.

No disrespect to the CFL "but" when a player can come in and start Day 1 and play all the way through to winning the Grey Cup winning accolades along the way, chances are good they are a NFL prospect in the wrong league.

Cam Wake has and should have opened some eyes as to the quality of CFL talent, last yr at this time Wake and the CFL were being bashed as "not even College Starters at a Div I school".

And I spent a solid 2 hours just finding this information, Wake had CFL.ca features, Stump had nothing, no interviews in print, no archived radio interviews that I could find, he keeps a really low profile, imho he will be a "Sparano Guy".

And the fact that 4 teams looked at Stump, and 7 have looked at Ricky Foley means Foley will land somewhere in the NFL and soon.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    Well I'll defer to your knowledge on this.

If you're right and we just acquired a 3rd or 4th round quality G then I think that should take G off of the need list. We may still take one late in the draft just b/c he's a BPA but I see no need to take another G.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, maybe, I'd suspect when he starts the offseason program on 3/15 they will have a better feel for what he is and isn't.

My Theory for this offseason is "return to 2008" meaning we will see cattle calls and competition at need spots, Stump has as good a chance as anyone to win a slot, but I wouldn't pencil anyone in for a slot outside of the obvious guys like Long.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    paradoxically
    the Orca-5
    is angling for seven starters
    & a backup on game day
    Tsoumpas will be in the mix.