1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIRECTV to Sell Sunday Ticket to Non-Subscribers

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Killerphins, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    http://www.tvpredictions.com/dnfl082310.htm

This is pretty weak IMO. I understand them trying to reach out to people who can't get Direct TV but this service should be offered free to customers who have already purchased Sunday Ticket. That way fans have an option for availability. Also the service is $350. The NFL is gouging more customers and penalizing them for their lack of ability to have the service. Question...If you don't have it because of dish issues yet it is still a requirement how does that help new members. Anyway another black eye for the NFL and Direct TV.

2. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I can't have a dish due to where I live - apartment faces wrong way & complex has policy against dishes. I would happily pay for this service since, if I could have a dish, I'd get Sunday Ticket anyway. I think the price is high, but it's cheaper than going to a sports bar & doing the food & drink thing every week. :)

I think you might have a different opinion if you look at it from the perspective of someone who can't get DirectTV but wishes to see the games. Besides, when has anything to do with the NFL not been about gouging? :lol:

3. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I've been paying a friend of mine $300 every season for access to his online account (he has Sunday Ticket).

Maybe now I can negotiate him down :pointlol:

4. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

As someone who willingly used to pay for it and now can't (sam situation as Texas), this is great news. Ye,s the NFL will be making another small mint, but it is also reaching more fans who, lets face it, are okay with paying the pricetag. Why wouldn't they do this?

Directv is smart. They pay a ton of money for the exclusive rights. So much so that there is no way they can recoup their investment on paid subscribers alone. This allows them to bump their bottom line as well.

Win for everyone.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  5. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    $350.00!?!?! Jesus, every year I wince for you guys. This year is the highest it's ever been up here, $49.99 a month for 4 months (early bird special, $59.99 a month for 4 months after September 7th I think) with every game in HD this year.

So yah, $200 and all HD....sorry.

NJFINSFAN1 likes this.
  6. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    This is great news. You still have to prove you can't put a dish up, but now everybody can see the games. Ultimately doesn't matter to me because I'd have DirecTV with or without the Ticket. It's been a good service for me. Was $300 this year (all HD) plus we get streaming as well (will come in handy if weather is bad).

Now if we could get it down to Canada rates.....

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, $300 for me too I believe (whatever early bird price is, is what I have). I'm probably going to have to use the Sunday Ticket on my laptop on Sept. 19th due to travel for work, so the availability is nice.

8. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    \

$39.99 a month here in Winnipeg and all in HD

So $160 a year here:tongue2:

9. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    It isn't cheaper than going to a bar if you have any common sense. What's wrong with going there and buying a chicken sandwich with a soda for $10 bucks 13-16 times through the season? That's under $200 right there

10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Do you really nurse a chicken sandwich and 1 soda for 3+ hours????

11. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I bought direct tv YEARS ago primarily for Sunday ticket , we get it at a bargain , not sure why the disparity for prices , I do feel for US residents that can't get it or have to pay a substantially higher price than us non US residents.

12. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    :lol:

I tried doing that once. Didn't work for me.

texasPHINSfan and AbideN703 like this.
  13. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I wish I could pull that off.

I just got Sunday Ticket but before that I went to the bars for every game. I haven't missed a game in 4-5 years and it gets incredibly pricey.

There is no way for 3-4 hours I am eating one sandwich and one coke. A lot of bars make you buy something every so often as well (otherwise you are just loitering).

If I am going out to watch the game it is to enjoy myself - so I am going to have 4-5 beers and an app and a meal. It is incredibly expensive and takes up most of my Sunday. If the wife wants to join in or the guys want to join for beers it adds up even faster. Add in trying to find a bar with the game, flirt with the bartender until she puts the sound on for my game and then trying to convince the wife to come pick me up because I've drank too much and it is a huge event every week.

texasPHINSfan likes this.
  14. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Yeah, mine is $49.99 a month for 4 months
    I have no complaints!

15. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    Yeah, $350 is MUCH cheaper than going to a bar every week, considering I'll spend $50 just on myself between several orders of wings, and 2 buckets of beer...and that's only if I leave right after the game, and don't stay longer.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Not to mention if I sit in a waitresses' section I'm tipping her at worst $5 more than what I would normally since I'm there so long. A $10 sandwich and soda in all likelihood will end up with me leaving at least $20.

17. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Yeah man. Sodas get refilled for free and a chicken sandwich with a side is for lunch. I'm not a pregnant chick that eats the whole buffet :up:

18. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    All I'm saying is I have more control than that plus I don't have the money to throw around eating food my diet won't let me.

:up:

19. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    [​IMG]

Well isn't that special!

;)

20. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Are you Shaw or Rogers?

21. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    :tongue2:

22. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    lol.

dude i've done both, my first year i moved out here i did the bar thing every sunday. I physically cannot go into a bar for 4 hours and NOT buy a beer. or even a single beer.

it is the way of things. :lol:

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  23. AbideN703

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Buy a god damn beer then :shifty:

24. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    this is nice bc we can't have dishes in our complex, but it doesn't help the fact that my brother is an avid Eagles fan and since our games are usually both early games we can't watch them both at home anyway (only 1 HDTV here). whole reason we go to the bar is so we can both watch our games at the same time (while ideally watching the other too if its on a nearby tv)