1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do all these whispers and blog posts Hurt the Dolphins chances of landing talent?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    We all seen the hundreds of articles about secret meetings, dinners, and or conversations about who the Dolphins and other teams are looking at for the draft.

If someone posts in their blog about a meeting it does give away what we are thinking no?? I understand some of these are setup to possible fool other teams as well, but if we are seriously looking to draft someone and we meet with them and its reported, does that hurt our chances for landing him?

I mean other teams will pick this up and knowing our judgment of talent may spend a few more minutes or look closer at what were doing and ruin the pick for us?

I'm just asking, I know any GM that's not sure what he want's shouldn't be a GM but there are all kinds of games and levels of interest in players.

2. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

It could work both ways. These meetings we're having could be a bluff to other teams what our intentions are. If someone thinks that Parcells and Ireland are taking an interest in someone, and given their track record for success, it may pique another teams' interest enough that they take someone we didn't really want, leaving a better possibility that someone may pass on the player we really want. I think their are some mind games that go on with teams, but really, I don't think it has a huge impact on anything.

3. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Well i don't know for certain Dorf, but I think these meetings that do get posted on sites/blogs, are already well known by other teams well before they hit the internet, or at least would be known about by other teams before the draft.

How much if effects a particular FO is something I really dont' know anything about. I'm sure it matters, but to what degree, who knows. I think it would depend on the particular situation.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Not worried. The Dolphins are fully capable of keeping secret what they WANT to keep secret. If they wanted to have a meeting with Michael Johnson that nobody knew about, it wouldn't be dinner with their higher ups the night before his Pro Day. The teams all know who is meeting with who and the game goes beyond just figuring out who a team has not met with and eliminating the players that the team has publicly met with.

5. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL

Bingo...You beat me to it CK. The bottom line is, we will have interest in a bunch of players and will pick the best one there for us to nab.

6. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    It's simply due diligence. I don't think it's any secret that we might be interested in Johnson or a half dozen others at that spot.

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Im def not worried. I remember Ireland's "great defens... uh, player for a long time" gaffe last year that everyone freaked out about.

Jackson likes this.
  8. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Every team has dinners, meetings with players, so to me, it's no big deal.

bigbucks24 likes this.
  9. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    No big deal really, I'm assuming every team already knows anyways. These guys are paying attention to what every other team does in addition to their own to make sure they are prepared for anything, especially on draft day. Plus, im sure every other team has the same thing to deal with from their local media. Definitely wouldn't be surprised if this stuff is "leaked" to the press on purpose either.