1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Players Wear Out? The JT Question

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

A lot of people are concerned about a playert like Jason Taylor needing fewer snaps so he doesn;t wear out by season's end. The same people often point out that Porter was seemingly operating on a quarter tank of gas by season's end. I won;t say whether I agree... yet.

I will ask this... which do you think wears out a player more, dropping into coverage or playing against the run?

In coverage, you have to run more. Against the run you are stacking blockers and pushing more. One is more aerobic and the other is more pushing, power and wrestling.

My theory is that coverage tires out bigger, less athletic guys faster, but run defense tires out the faster, more athletic guys. I see Jason as more capable of coverage and pass rushing, not of taking on TE's and RT's on 1st down running plays. I see Matt Roth as better at stacking running plays up, but not able to run in coverage.

What are your thoughts on:

1) If JT could burn out this season?

2) Does playing against the run, or playing against the pass wear you out more?

3) How would you recommend using Taylor to avoid burnout?

Anonymous likes this.
  2. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Sure players wear out as the season goes along. As far as JT, I doubt he will burn out, but at his age, he could very well wear out if he plays every down.
    I also think some players won't give it all if the season is a wash. Players are human just like fans.

3. Bpk

Well, under Cameron people quit, as you allude to... but I don;t expect any motivational problems.

JT and Sparano are friedly, btw.

I think Jt burns out if he's askled to play 1st or 2nd and short. He is not a run down player.

IMO< JT is not suited to a power game at this point. He is agile, but Cam Wake is better suited to the strongside on pass rush downs, and Joey Porter and Taylor would be MASSIVELY destructive on the weakside together.

4. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    1) I dont think Jason Taylor will be worn out by seasons end. If he thought he was going to be worn out by the end of the season he would of retired.

2) I think playing against the pass wears you out more.

3) I think if you want to keep Jason Taylor fresh you keep him out of a couple plays. But I dont think he is going to worn out by the end of the season.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    1) I don't think he's going to burn out this season. Sparano will make sure he keeps JT fresh. Also, the conditioning program will do wonders for JT.

2) Playing the run, IMO. It's more physical, and requires going up against blockers, which can take a toll on a players body. But like you said, it also depends on the type of player.

3) I say avoid using him at the SOLB position, so he doesn't have to play the run as much. Keep him at the weakside, and let him do his thing, which is sacking the QB.

6. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Well playing the run I think is what will do him in. His body probably just doesn't have the ability to recover after a game as well as it did when he was in his 20's. Dropping into coverage will tire him out but over the course of the season, the adverse affect on his body won't be as bad as him constantly having to go through guys 50-100 pounds heavier than him. It's like running a marathon to me. Your going to be real tired at the end but would you be able to finish if someone was beating the crap out of you the whole way?

7. Bpk

1) Really I think most great players will play as long as the market will allow, even if their body is declining. See Favre.

2) Fair enough. More running. I DO think Parcells conditions power more than cardio and running though in the offseason. We may have bigger, more powerful players, but are they able to run more? I see Parcells' program as one of our competitive advantages, but more from a strength and size perspective than an edura nce and cardio one.

3) I agree that you rotate JT a bit.

8. Bpk

1) Sparano's 'pitch count' o players should help. I think JT and Joey split a few reps and help each other stay fresher. Sometimes I think they play on the field at the same time.

2) I think playing on the LOS against blockers is more tiring for a guy like JT than dropping into a zone.

3) Agreed! But Joey is weakside too!!! You dont; take Joey off the field to play JT. So, Pasqualoni will probably move JT around.

9. Bpk

This is what /I think too. I think the pundong of run blcokers hitting him will wear JT down fatsest. I'd love to see him rotate in only on passing downs.

JT is older. We saw Porter tail off at the end of last season, and I do not want to see that happen to JT.

Why does that matter???

You want to PEAK when the playoffs START, not in week 11.

PerfectTeam likes this.
  10. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I think we're going to see formations with Jt and Jp on the field together, like you said.
    I wouldn't be suprised to see Wake, Jp, and JT on the field together on third downs. The potential pass rush Pasqualoni has to work with is exciting. I can't wait to see what he fields.

11. PerfectTeam

PerfectTeam Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Completely agree. If you can rotate players in they are going to be that much refresher down the stretch.

12. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    We all seem to forget, maybe, that JT is playing the position that Roth plays at...

When Roth returns, he will play mostly run downs...

That has been Sparano's comments anyways, that is keeping JT playing mostly passing downs...

13. SCall13

SCall13 ThePhins QB

I think it's much like what you said in the bold. But I'd venture to say mixing it up with blockers, over the course of the game, is more tiring overall than coverage. No matter your size, constant pushing against guys who are as big or, sometimes, bigger than you is exhausting. This is why teams are constantly shifting d-linemen in and out. It's such a grind. Running in coverage is tiring, but it's usually done in short burst, and good conditioned athletes would get less tired doing this. Taking on blockers, pushing/shoving, battling in the trenches requires every muscle in your body. So I'd definitely have to say playing the run is more tiring.

Anonymous likes this.
  14. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Who's this Roth that you speak of?:shifty: I've heard nothing about him in camp so far this year:wink2:

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    everything in existence has an expiration date on it
    some wear better that others
    however
    this 2009 not 1909, medicine, technology, every aspect of the game & human element has evolved significantly
    things change, including expiration dates

I think JT, Porter & Ricky have aged well & have several good years of game left to play