1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you want Jake Long with the first overal pick?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Kanye West, Apr 18, 2008.

Do you want Jake Long as our first overal pick?

1. I do want Jake Long as our first overal pick

21 vote(s)
    48.8%
  2. No dont want Jake Long as our first overal pick

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
  1. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    Do you guys want Jake Long with the first overall pick? If you do why? If you do why?

I am Not going to lie I dont want Jake Long as a first overall pick. Part of the reason he is not an exciting pick. Even though you do need an O - Line to build a team I really dont want one as our first overall pick. I also think we can pick up a good O - Linmen late in the draft. I also think he is over hyped.

2. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    While I agree with the fact that we could pick up OL later in the draft, I would not be upset with the pick. Chris Long would be my other choice. Gholston is this years version of Courtney Brown, and I just don't think Ryan is that good of a QB.

3. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Chris Long is the only one I feel comfortable drafting with the #1 overall pick. However, I'd much rather draft Jake Long over Gholston. I also feel that Dorsey may still be in the picture as well.

4. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Chris Long is the only player that I want at #1. Gholston would be my second choice, but only if we can trade down and select him.

Phinperor likes this.
  5. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    We desperately need O line help and have for years. I wouldn't mind Jake Long at all.

6. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    If we dont go Matt Ryan I think we have to go Jake Long. To me the QB and OT positions have to be addressed rds 1 and 2. The best Tackle prospect likely to be available in the 2nd round is probably Nicks so if you pass on a OT with the first you will have to draft one in the 2nd or you'll end up with Oniel Cousins or Jeremey Zuttah. I think Anthony Collins and Duane Brown are overrated personally. Maybe you go with a Will Robinson on the 2nd day.

If they dont get a QB in the first two rounds, they should just pass on getting a QB altogether and just bring in some prospect as a free agent. O'Hara, Morris, Morrelli. It really wont matter since the only QBs worth taking will be gone after the 2nd round

7. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    But the thing is, the dropoff from Chris Long to the LB's we would get at #32 is bigger than the dropoff from Jake Long to the rest of the OL prospects that we would get at 32. The chances of getting a very good OL in the second round are very very good. I still can't get comfortable with the idea of drafting a RT at #1, especialy seeing that stopping the run/defense was one of our biggest problems last year.. :no:

8. jason8er

jason8er Luxury Box Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    1. Glenn Dorsey
    2. Chris Long
    3. Jake Long
    4. Vernon Gholston

9. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

I would love to take Jake #1, we have allowed the OL to take a back seat for far too long. We must improve the OL by a large amount if Beck and our running game are to turn things around for us. For Ginn to develop we need an OL that can give him time to get open. Games are won & lost in the trenches, our offense needs an OL to turn this team around.

10. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    I would be happier than two pigs in a peach orchard if we wound up with a LT at #1 and a good guard a #32 - as long as the OG is the highest rated guard available, roughly like Albert, Cousins, or maybe even Baker.

11. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Great C.S Lewis quote. One of the great minds and souls of all time.

12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I'm riding the Jake Long bandwagan until the wheels fall off.

13. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    I said NO but mainly because im not sure. If there was a "No but if we did i wouldnt be mad if we picked Jake" then i would have voted that. Does that make sense? My 1st vote would be Chris Long. Jake wouldnt be a bad pick. Thats where we cant go wrong with having the 1st pick. We are weak at so many important positions we know we are going to get a good player and instant upgrade whoever we pick.

14. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I don't know that you can look at the draft that way. You have to take the best player available at your pick, not try to plan who will or won't be available later...that leads to reaching, and we've done that too many times before.

15. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    True, but I also feel that Chris Long is the best value at #1 and the best fit for our team. I think that drafting Chris Long and the best available OL at #32 (Albert, Williams, Baker, Cherilus) is a much stronger strategy than taking Jake Long and a LB at #32 (Crable, Henderson, Mayo, etc). I view Jake as a RT and we can certainly pickup a very good RT at #32.

Phinperor likes this.
  16. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    Ive been reading that teams are considering using Baker as a Center lol. They think he could be a dominant center. Aklso guard. Not sure if Baker would be a good fit for us. If Cherilus was there he would be a good pick IMO. After him the only other 2nd rounder I would go for is Nicks

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Sure, I want Jake Long as the pick... I also want Chris Long, or Gholston. Id be happy either way really. I'd really prefer a trade situation though so we can drop down a few spots, get a couple extra picks and go from there.

18. phineas64

phineas64 Season Ticket Holder

I said no because I really want to trade down and get more picks, but not out of the top 5 or 6 slots.

If we keep the pick, I'm 50/50 between the two Longs. It's really hard to find a franchise LT anywhere but high in the draft, where we hopefully will never be again, so we probably ought to draft one now.

However, I really think Chris Long will be a leader on this team, and he's the exciting pick, and he's, well, everything that the JL pick isn't. He's the hot choice, the sexy pick, etc. And since many think JL will be a RT anyway, he's the safer pick, too.

Hmmmm.......<channelling Vince Lombardi for help here>
    Vince didn't answer, so...

I would have to flip a coin if forced to choice. Ok, it came up tails for Jake.

19. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I haven't heard that one yet. :lol:

I forgot about Nicks :doh:

We also have Drew Mormino coming back from injury, so OL might not be as big a need as some think. We shouldn't ignore the OL, but to make it our #1 priority and draft Long doesn't make much sense to me.

With that said, if Branden Albert starts falling and we are able to trade JT for a 2nd rounder, I would love to get back into the 1st round to get him. :yes: I don't think he'll make it to the 2nd round. :no:

20. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I'm predicting the Chiefs have a shot of grabbing him if Jake is gone. Its hard to tell but I think Albert has more momentum than Clady right now. Of course the wild card is they get rid of Allen before the draft. Then they're almost guaranteed to draft Gholston or Chris

21. Miamifan1354

Miamifan1354 Not Good Enough.

Jan 3, 2008
    No, because I don't want the Miami Dolphins to use the first pick.. I want them to trade it away

22. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Pretty even...

23. dolfndav34

dolfndav34 Season Ticket Holder

Nov 26, 2007
    Fort Liquordale, Fl.
    Hoping we go for a OL in the 2nd

Phinperor and like2god like this.
  24. ryoung8918

ryoung8918 New Member

Apr 18, 2008
    OC, Calif
    I'd prefer to get Jake at #3 overall, but if we stay at #1, I think he's a safe pick. IMO, he's at worst a very good RT. His upside is a very good (maybe franchise) LT. Either way, barring injury, he starts in the league for 10 years. I'm not as sure about the other options at #1.

What I'd really like is to move down once or twice and pick up some picks, but I don't see it happening.

25. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    welcome dude. nice first post. You broke your cherry :up:

26. theWeasel

theWeasel Junior Member

Mar 24, 2008
    Hollister Florida
    I like Jake Long as the first pick. The GBNReport fan mock draft has Dolphin fans voting 49% Jake Long.

27. Kanye West

Kanye West 'Parcells' Guy

Mar 23, 2008
    I want Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey

28. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I think it's almost a certainty that KC will go OL. IMO Chris Long and Gholston will be gone by then with Long in Miami and Gholston in Oakland. I think the earliest I have seen Albert going in a mock is to the Panthers, but there is also talk that they really like Ryan, so who knows?

29. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I Like others want to trade out of the pick..
    But that looks rather bleak at this point.

While I could live with J Long as the Dolphins #1 pick to me he isn't worth the cost!

Defense wins championships and the top defensive player in this draft as far as I am concerned is C Long...
    :up:

Marino1983

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
    Phinperor and like2god like this.
  30. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Wow...I'm surprised that more don't want long than those that do.

He simply doesn't help our team the way you want from a #1 pick; he'll play RT in the pros and we already have an outstanding RT in Vernon Carey.

like2god likes this.
  31. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    If thats right then why is he projected as potential No1 at LT? Right Tackles dont grade out at the No1 pick in the Draft.

32. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    When I see Jake Long...visions of Jeff Backus and Jon Jansen dance in my head.

Taking a Jeff Backus or a Jon Jansen #1 overall is downright dumb.

33. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    I definitely want Jake Long. LT is extremely hard to get. Quality left tackles don't hit free agency. This is the best draft class of tackles in many years and Jake Long is the best of the best. I think he's stronger and nastier than Joe Thomas but not quite as quick. But it seems to me that he's got a lot of drive and passion for the game. And the fact that in his last 2 years he played LT and only gave up 1 sack and that was to Vernon Gholston. The same Vernon Gholston who is an elite pass rusher and who had studied a weeks worth of film on Jake Long after their last meeting. Jake just seems like a solid pick. The closest thing to a slam dunk for us in the draft.

34. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Because for some reason I can't fathom - not being facetious or derisive, I really, simply don't understand why they can't see what is plain as day - a lot of folks believe that JLong will be able to play LT.

JLong is Vernon Carey, except a more devastating run-blocker... but VC is an excellent RT despite that.

So, why would you choose an OL with the 1st overall pick that plays the same position as your best player on that same unit???

like2god likes this.
  35. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    I agree that KC goes with Oline with one exception. If Allen is dealt they may have to go DE

36. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Agree 100% :up:
    If Long (Miami), Gholston (Oakland) and Dorsey (Atlanta) are out of the mix, what defensive player still available is worthy of the #5 pick? I understand that these are just my projections, but I don't see anyone other than Ellis being a possibility for them on D at that spot.

How are they at DT?

NaboCane likes this.
  37. Marino1983

Marino1983 Junior Member

Mar 23, 2008
    "I definitely want Jake Long. LT is extremely hard to get. Quality left tackles don't hit free agency"

The problem is that more experts have stated that J Long will struggle big time from the LT spot than not!

I agree that finding a franchise LT is extremely hard and when you have the chance to pick one then you take advantage of it..

J Long is NOT a LT and he is NOT worth the Salary and bonus money a true LT deserves !

Marino1983