1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctors: is rust good for you?

Discussion in 'Questions and Answers' started by Miamian, Jun 15, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    About a week ago my electric kettle broke and I don't have the cash right now to fork out for a new one. Today, while heating water in a saucepot I recalled that I had a regular kettle somewhere, but I hadn't used it in about four years and it may have rusted.

One of my roommates said that he had read once that consuming from rusty utensils and pots is okay and may even be good for you as it adds iron to your diet. He also said that there's not danger or very little.

2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Miamian likes this.
  3. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Thanks but the kettle is enclosed except for the tip. I wouldn't be able to insert a potato.

4. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I have read that those that use iron skillets get a lot more iron in their diet than those that do not.. which I suppose is a good thing if you have iron poor tired blood..

Miamian likes this.
  5. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
  6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    In addition to the link L2G posted anything with rust + is Teflon releases cancer causing nitrates. So if your kettle or any other cooking ware is made out of Teflon I certainly wouldnt cook anything very well done in it if the piece, especially if its rusty.

like2god and Miamian like this.
  7. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    have u had a tetanus shot in the past few years?