1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does backfield have room for injury-plagued Kevin Jones?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Jun 30, 2008.

1. dolpns13

dolpns13 Chest Rockwell is my hero

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    why would we want an injury plagued Kevin Jones?

2. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Because he is massively more talented than whoever will be competing for the #3 spot.

It wouldnt hurt to bring him in for TC at all. The more competition the better. And if KJ can stay healthy... which he should be able to do as a #3 back... he is a great asset to have...

And he can play ST too...

Phinperor and alen1 like this.
  3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    alen1 likes this.
  4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Maybe he is worth a look but there are also guys like Shaun Alexander still out there and we have drafted a couple of running backs which will probably be factored in. So he's worth a look and if he blows people away maybe sign him (just see how it goes).

5. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    i wouldnt be opposed to bringing him in for a look, as long as he can pass his physical, and comes, for a league minimum, but his contract would have to have some type of injury clause in it since he is a higher risk of injury than anyone on our team.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I'll take Jones or any other back on the market before Alexander. He's washed up imo. Reportedly the surgeon who worked on Jones has a great reputation around the league. All his patients have recovered in half of the time they are originally suppose to as he has upper-hand on medications.

7. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    A higher risk then Ronnie???

8. Duss

Duss Season Ticket Holder

Dec 9, 2007
    yes

9. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Yes - He's doubtful for the start of TC

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  10. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Ronnie has been hurt every year. How is the other guy a HIGHER risk?

11. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    They both have been injured each year during their careers, but Jones has been in for 4 years and Ronnie hasnt had that 4th year to see if he can stay healthy... Hopefully he does... so IMO that makes Jones more risky. Jones gets little dings during the games he plays in and ends up having to come off the field for a few plays before he can return. Ronnie is just a tougher player. Not to mention Ronnie is a better player than Jones, but thats a different conversation. Dont get me wrong, I like Kevin Jones, but IMO Ronnie is tougher

12. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Jones could be a nice depth guy, if he's healthy, he's a darn good back thats for sure. Im not sure why we would be that concerned though. Ronnie, and Ricky, plus the two from the draft, Parmale and Hilliard... What happens to them if we bring in Kevin Jones too?

Will Jones be even ready for the start of TC? I dont think so... im not sure, but if not I really dont understand why were looking at him. Depth I guess, sure, but like i said... what happens to the two rookies we just drafted?

13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If you count the "backs" on the roster, we have Cobbs, Ricky, Ronnie, Hilliard, Parmele, Grigsby, and Maui. That's seven backs. Add Jones and we have eight. Most teams carry three backs and one fullback I believe. We're almost double that right now. So that begs the question. If we were to add Jones, who gets cut?

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  14. dolpns13

Dec 3, 2007
    North Jersey
    Hes listed as doubtful for the start of TC... As for the rookies, the odd man out gets cut or goes to the PS

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Yeah so much for Kevin Jones ?

http://rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the real question is "do we want to bring in an injury plagued, probably higher priced, so far bust" or do we want to develop our own people, our own draft choices. Don't get me wrong I think Jones is a pretty good back, but I'd like to see more of the guys we drafted to see where they stand.

17. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thanks. Tampa probably isnt a bad spot for him to end up. With Cadillacs injury problems Jones would see some time there if healthy.

18. Vengeful Odin

Vengeful Odin Norse Mod

Dec 2, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Great point alen. It's a numbers game at RB. I would expect us to carry 5 RBs to start the season.

RB1: Ronnie is a given.
    RB2: Ricky is a given.

The rest isn't so clear.

RB3: Hilliard is likely, since he was drafted by the new regime.
    RB4: Parmele is likely for the same reasons.
    RB5: This leaves Cobbs, Maiua, and Grigsby battling it out. I like Grigsby because I think he'll make more contributions on special teams. Mauia was a favorite until his offseason stuff, but I just don't see Cobbs making it.

We don't have room for Jones with what we have on the roster, unless we want to cut one of our draft picks (unlikely), or cut Cobbs, Maiua, and Grigsby. I think that two of those 3 will cut, but not all of them.

alen1 likes this.
  19. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nah I think Tampa is good for him. Other then Graham, they have Dunn. Dunn is getting up there in age. Cadillac is on the PUP list so that means hes out at least six weeks.

20. SuncoastFinsFan

SuncoastFinsFan Banned

Apr 12, 2008
    I would rather have LaMont Jordon if we are going to bring in a guy. I hear he is considering New Orleans, though.

I think Tampa is ideal for KJ. He wouldn't be expected to contribute the first half of the season, anyway.

Personally, I would like to think we could go with our own guys and give one of the rookies a chance to step up in TC.

21. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    Agreed...This is the Kevin Jones I remember from his VaTech days, it's just too bad he hasn't been able to stay healthy enough in the Pros to show off his true potential..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX93txncGjk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPYZKCyCVek&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP1TT6MKClw&feature=related

alen1 and azfinfanmang like this.
  22. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Is it possible to have both the deepest and the biggest question mark to whether ANY of them are ready to go at any point in the season...Just asking

23. Straz

Straz Me and my girl :)

Mar 23, 2008
    You can never have too many good RB's on an NFL team.