1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does it matter that Pat White is a lefty?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GISH, Apr 29, 2009.

1. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    It just now dawned on me that Pat White is a left handed thrower. Does anyone think that will be a problem or advantage? Will that put more pressure on Vernon Carey? Will Vernon and Jake swap positions while White is in? Anyone in the know, please reply.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I don't think it matters at all. We know from past seasons that Carey can handle being the blind side protector.

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I doubt it changes anything. It is common for dominant pass rushers to switch to the left side for better matchups- Mario Williams moved to go against Vernon Carey when he got nowhere against Long last year, for example. It just means that the blocking scheme is more likely to favor the right than the left. Its worth considering that in the Wildcat his blindside will have both Long and Carey

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  4. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

it's an advantage to the QB because defenders are more used to covering right handed QBs. About the tackles switching sides I'm not sure of. To me it makes sense to have your best tackle protecting the blindside of the QB; whichever side that may be.

The reason LT are the higher paid tackles in the NFL is because most QBs are right handed. If you find a team with a lefty QB (is there one with a starting left handed QB?) you would probably find that the RT is paid more. (I would think).

It isn't about position it's about what you're protecting. And no QB likes to get drilled from behind.

5. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Dont think it will be blocking issue as a few here have commented as much as it maybe an adjustment for the WRs having balls delivered from a lefty.

Seems as if it could cross up a defense more then anything else...and isn't that the point? :yes:

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    No one does... :tongue2:

Pat White being a left shouldn't be an issue. I am not as high on Carey as others are but he is capable of protecting the blindside relatively well. However I don't think it's an issue because the Wildcat has an unbalanced line correct? Doesn't Jake line up righty anyway?

anlgp likes this.
  7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

yup this is a good point

8. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    yes but Jake Long is the one getting PAID to be the blindside protector. If White were to become our new starter, it would almost certainly lead to a hold out by Carey if we left him on the right side.

9. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Does not matter one iota that White is a lefty. 100% non issue.

10. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

That IMO is a crazy notion. Carey is the highest paid RT in the league. He is going to go out and do his job regardless of who is QB. To suppose if White becomes the starting QB in a couple of years, that Carey would walk out and demand a new contract, well I can only shake my head. :no:

11. Tractor Traylor

Tractor Traylor Crafty Veteran

Jan 5, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Lest we forget, Ronnie Brown is also a lefty. So, one would think, not much should change drastically from last year.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  12. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    The only thing to consider are plays designed for White to run to his left and throw on the run... go back to Ronnie's TD pass to Fasano last year against the Pats, he was running to his left, an easier throw for him than if he was right handed.

13. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Ronnie is a lefty. He threw that TD pass with no prob.
    I dont think he will be our full time QB at any point. And wild cat wise, i dont think it matters.