1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Ross Care About PR More Than Real Solutions?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolp...ommittees-poorly-planned-poorly-executed.html

Yes it's from Armando, so may be sourced via Jeff ireland, but still interesting.

To me, it's further evidence that Ross is a poor owner. He cares about pretending to do the right things for public image when in fact, he is a big leadership void as an owner.

Smacks of an owner who is never a step ahead of anything. Always in reaction mode. And last minute mode. This is consistent with reports that Ross had no plans for what he'd do if the dolphins lost their final game, and so wasn't prepared. In other instances (Harbaugh, GM search) there has been a lot of chasing the story in the media, trying to repair our image after things already look bad. Where is the forethought?

Then there is this:

It's becoming clearer and clearer to me that Ross is not proactive. He waits until there is a problem, then reacts by saying, what can we do to make this look better to the public? He doesn;t really give a crap if he ACTUALLY does the work to solve the problem or follow through though.

Perhaps a lot of this seeming focus on caring about public opinion more than true substance and follow-through stemmed from his desire to drum up public support for stadium financing. Who knows. I am beginning to suspect that buying the Dolphins was primarily a real estate development opportunity for Ross (since he is a R.E. developer) and since that has become less likely, he has lost interest and puts less energy and focus into this team than before.

Either way, I've heard rumors that Philbin doesn;t walk-his-talk as a coach, and I see plenty of evidence that Ross doesn't either. If teams take on the personality of their coach, then organizations take on the personality of their owner… and that's a shame in this case.

2socks and NaboCane like this.
  2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Here is the thing, "How do you learn to be a NFL Owner?" It is much different than any other beast. There are only a few owners who I consider to be, "good." Most of them are pretty terrible and the rest mediocre.

Bpk likes this.
  3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    If PR is the main concern, things are worse than I imagined. The PR has been terrible

Steve-Mo and Bpk like this.
  4. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    Why else would he "part ways" with Ireland ? He obviously wasnt prepared to replace him. If you ***** and moan enough... somebody has to do something to shut you up. Great job everybody. Your whiney voices were heard. In reality Carl Peterson would probably recommend Ireland over anyone else, just like he did a few years ago when they dumped Sparano. We had to appease to the outcries and scramble to fill the void there. Next year its Philbin i'm guessing. Ross is caught up in PR so keep up with the propaganda !

5. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He shouldn't, but a lot of the fans do.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Ryan Clark on his visit to dolphin headquarters as a free agent..

"I hated the experience"

7. Bpk

Hey Deej… how does that relate? (I'm not criticizing the post, but wanna understand what you're trying to say).

I also don;t want to give Ryan Clark alone too much weight. My guess is that the players who like the experience of being here aren't being quoted.

But who knows how many people 'like' being inside the Dolphins org compared to how many 'like' being inside ANY org. I mean, have you ever found a company or workplace where employees DIDN'T complain?

8. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    Wow, I kind of had a feeling this was the case but this affirms it. Hopefully he sells the team shortly.

9. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I relate it to the culture in the building..it was probably not on the level he felt in Pitt...how much should that be pinned on Ireland, probably a lot..how much will that change now that he is gone, we have no idea.

Ryan Clark maybe somewhat controversial but he seems intelligent enough where I respect his opinion on things, it was my mistake not to take what he said more seriously.

10. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Ryan Clark used us as leverage like others had. Nothing more.
    For every Clark, I'll show you a Wallace, Gibson, Dansby, you get the picture.

11. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

Ross is a very careful analytical planner. He doesn't do anything rash or hot headed .

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

12. daniel3

daniel3 Active Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If you care about this stupid committee, then maybe you're the one who cares more about PR than real solutions, like kicking Ireland out the door.

13. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Ireland probably asked him about pot use....:up:

14. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    maybe so, but I don't know why that would make him continue him to say nationally that he " hated" the experience.

15. Bpk

So other than attempting to insult me, anything to add to the actual discussion on this topic?

16. vizi0n

vizi0n Boom.. Club Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Nonsense... Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

17. scotty_irnbru

scotty_irnbru Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2013
    Dundee, Scotland
    Or maybe because it makes him sound like less of a dick than saying 'the offered me more and I went for the money'? It's hard to tell but I don't think I've ever picked up the vibe in a place in a few hours of hanging about. We were a bargaining spot, we were used. No point getting worried about it.

18. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I cant help but wonder how the hell this guy made his fortune. God he seems inept

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

19. daniel3

daniel3 Active Member

Nov 25, 2007
    If you take insult from that, that's on you because I did not write or quote the words "Bpk". Also mentioning that Ross took action himself rather than keeping up the PR charade of this committee should be contribution enough.

Maybe I should have just wrote "Ross is terrible" and end it there? Pretty sure that would have garnered no complaint.

20. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    wow talk about crashing and burning a thread and its topic:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::nono::nono:

BPK, no worries brother

Your probably on to something with the real estate development and the stadium. No stadium, no development. Trips to china and the middle east instead

21. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Well I'm worried about it because I believe the culture of a football organization is very important, and ours happens to suck...basically everything is riding on hickey and philbin now to create an atmosphere that is enjoyable to work in, and to identify players that have the character to change the atmosphere.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    It's unbelievable how very few get it.,.there is one solution to the whole pr culture problem..it's so obvious, so safe, so lucrative,.

Anyhoo, drivin along drivin along..

23. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Clark was just very surprised that Ireland's contract offer was much lower than he'd thought it would be.

24. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

He didn't make a trip to China recently. When did he go to the middle east and which country?

25. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    If Ross is consumed with PR, this team is in serious trouble, because we all know where we stand from a PR standpoint don't we?