1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does science make belief in God obsolete?

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Celtkin, May 19, 2008.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Actually, the test is much simpler IMO, is it true and is it accurate, for me that is Science in a nutshell, no consensus needed, it speaks for itself.

http://www.allaboutthejourney.org/history-of-the-bible.htm

And this study about the accuracy of the New Testament is illuminating:

http://www.clemson.edu/spurgeon/books/apology/Chapter4.html

And more to the point, there are manuscript copies in existence, the "generator" documents for all copies of the Bible, each line is given a numerical value, if someone changes the number of words, the reconciling total will obviously be "off".

I want to say those are Masrah copies, needless to say, in the words of Greenleaf "...with so many competing sects, any change in the Bible will instantly be noticed ensuring the accuracy of..."

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

To Fin D and D1,

I understand your concerns. They are real. If it was one person or even a small group dictating the decisions then I believe you would have a stronger argument.

The history of the early Church however is such that the move to the current 27 books of the New Testament happened over a period of 200 plus years and was guided by folks who were looking for places the God they "knew" was revealed. The phrase "inspired word of God" is often applied to the writing of the books of the Bible but I think the phrase equally belongs to the compilation process.

There is a doctrine on this, as you might suspect. It is known as indefectability. In short what that means is the Holy Spirit is guiding the process so that the whole Church never fully abandons the truth of God's revelation.

The work of the Holy Spirit is the least understood area of the work of God. How does the ongoing presence of God continue to interact with creation, with people, with the Church?

Soundwave and padre31 like this.
  3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How about evolution? Stem cell research? Predisposition of homosexuality? Birth control? Global warming? Maybe, these issues don't carry the "gravity" (pardon the pun) of the "sun revolves around the Earth" argument, but they are still at opposition to many religious beliefs and the cause for many major issues in this day and age.

Now sure, science has had many political concessions of late, but not quite to the extant that religion has had throughout time till now. Like the "Creationism, oh wait that's not getting traction, okay Intelligent Design" issue. Besides Desides, (sorry I had to do that) science does not politicize itself. Politicians do it, and they often do it to get votes from mostly religious people who need a slightly less bitter pill to swallow.

4. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

First, thanks Celtkin, for starting this thread, but more important, to all of you. The honest, respectful, and open dialog is refreshing whatever your belief system. Besides that I'm learning and thats a very good thing at age 67. Again thank you all.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Stem Cell research? Life should be protected in all of our stages of development, thusly putting and emphasis on Mankind and the Right to Dignity that all mankind should enjoy.

Predisposition to Homosexuality: Has that been proven? Aside from the terribly flawed hippo campus study?

Gravity: Sir Issac Newton was a serious Christian and a Scientist.

Sun revolves around the Earth was a Pagan Greek argument that the Catholic Church picked up on, Magellian suggested a change that was not scientifically accurate BTW.

Global Wamring: A consensus is not "Science" 30,000 scientists have signed a document that man is not the cause of an increase in tempratures on the Earth, earlier in the "pro" camp, some 5,000 scientists formed a consensus that mankind was the locus of the increase, now a "new" paper claims that Man Centered Global Warming will decrease over the next 10-12 years as ocean currents shift in a natural process.

Seems that Man Centered Global Warming consensus builders do not have their ideas, nor statistical models in a row...if they don't know what they are speaking about, why should anyone lend particular credence to their theory?

Scientists are politicized, that is a compromise that they make, real science requires no consensus, it is demonstrable and repeatable and speaks for itself and in order to be adopted to fit a variety of circumstances, it must also be absolutely true...

IE if small organisms can evolve, then the same mechanism must be demonstrable for large ones, as well as creating transitional species in the meanwhile...

6. Ohiophinphan

I have heard this claim before and reject it. I think the argument is fallacious. There are lots of manuscripts which have errors which in the whole are trustworthy. To decide the "truth" of scripture depends on a three thousand year old understanding of science is not helpful. The authors of the lesson have also defined "inspired" in a very narrow context, one that many, if not most Christian scholars would not agree with totally

That said, the rest of the quoted lesson, especially the notes about textual evidence is very well written and researched. What they don't mention however is Codex Sinaiticus includes at least two "books" which did not make the "final cut", the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas. In addition I don't think it includes James. The development of Canon is a fascinating story of faithful people struggling to discern God.

padre31 likes this.
  7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    For that to be true, you'd have to accept and believe in the purity of people you've never met, and don't even know most of their names. You'd do that because that's what the bible alludes too. Yet, it is the accuracy of the bible that is being called into question. Its a catch-22. Just because people are men of the cloth, doesn't mean their intentions are pure. Look at the widespread cases of child molestation in the Catholic church. It is also a bit much to expect humans of that day, to not be driven by other agendas when dealing with divinity, when it happens on a daily basis in this day and age, even though we are more educated and have the benefit of more history to learn from.

Ultimately, my point is not to question your or anyone else's faith, but to question the absolute certainty of it that leads and has lead to wars, censorship, and injustice. And if someone can believe in something despite it having holes in its logic, history, and tangible evidence, then it shouldn't matter what science finds to be factually true by scientific standards. Belief is belief and science is science. It is time for religion to stop meddling in the affairs of science, since, people of faith will believe what they want regardless.

8. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

then couldn't an argument be made that just by having this conversation that God is inspiring a new path to be explored? by asking questions of someone as yourself that we are being guided in another direction? who is to say which side then is divine and which is not. i ask and challenge only because the concepts are vague to me and, in the truest meaning of the word, faith driven.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You've done nothing but prove my point.

The issues that science is trying to tackle are politicized. They've become pawns. Case in point, if a scientist does his research and due diligence, and concludes Global Warming is a real thing, then he's labeled a lefty, tree-hugger. That's done by other people, not by the scientist. Real scientists don't set out to prove a predisposed outcome. They set out to prove whatever the outcome may be. They ask a question and try to find an answer, not the answer they want.

10. Ohiophinphan

What about them? Don't think that all Christians have the same answers to all these questions!

One thing we would likely have in greater commonality is a high degree of respect for the sanctity of life. It doesn't always get expressed the same way but issues of abortion, euthanasia, capital punishment, stem cell research, in vitro fertilazation, etc. are all related in that they bring up serious questions of who gets to decide about the existence of life.

Science can inform those moral decisions but as a person of faith, I find scienctists to be as flawed and open to prejudice and bias, as anyone else (Christians included). I think those discussions need to include people of faith and issues of faith. My faith teaches me that all life is precious and belongs ultimately to God. That will shape how I make decisions. If someone takes in "only science" (I'm not sure that is philosophically possible) and treats "life" as a commodity they are going to make choices I can not live with and could not support.

btw, I need to learn to type faster as there are answers happening while I'm writing mine. :wink2:

11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    You say it.

The statistical modeling that Man Centered Global Warming relies upon is not exact enough to make the case that 50 years from now "The tip of Florida will be under water" the recent 1-12 year current study refutes that, and such refutations happen all of the time, from cloud studies that cannot be used for modeling, to unexpected events like the Atlantic Ocean radiating excess heat into the atmosphere and dissipating one of the key pillars of the idea that "Global Warming is unstoppable".

I've seen the labeling work the other way, no matter how meticulous the study, undoubtably the Scientist involved is a shill for the oil companies.

Which points out the idea that Creation even this Earth, is not very well understood, not that it will always be thus, rather that mankind still has a long way to go.

Last edited: May 20, 2008
  12. Ohiophinphan

and "real" people of faith don't set out to bludgeon folks into their way of thinking. Both groups, scientists and people of faith, have folks in their camps who do them no credit. I have a regular prayer when I get into church debates, "God save me from the people on my side"!

gafinfan, cnc66 and Fin D like this.
  13. DOLPHAN1

so, your point is that because it is so widely distributed and translated that it must be accurate. but the Bible is different for the different sects. to say that the KJV is the same as the Roman Catholic version(which there are several versions of as well) is like saying the AL with it's DH is the same as the NL with out. even though they belong to the same league, they are different and members of each would tell you so. regardless of their numbers.

14. DOLPHAN1

sorry Ohio, but i can attest to real persons of faith "bludgeoning" people into their way of thinking. they are short sighted and a bad representation of Christians as a whole, but they do exist and are considered people of "real" faith.

15. Ohiophinphan

You are doing fine. I sense your questions are just that requests for information which you will use to consider your position.

I don't think God's path is fully explored yet and so it is indeed possible that we are treading on new ground. Certainly as this is the first time we have interacted on these subjects it is new ground. For me, what others have said or done in similar circumstances informs my discussion and guides my answers.

Our Church defines scripture in part as 'the sole authoritative source and norm for the faith and life of the Church and its people". Ultimately scripture for me is a set of guardrails. They do not restrict my freedom, they allow me use of the whole road and warn me where there is deep water that might harm me. Ultimately I may choose to climb over the rails are try to swim. Also sometimes I find that the road is even wider than I thought.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  16. DOLPHAN1

you know, this crap about weather global warming is real or if in fact it is global cooling or whatever is absolutely stupid. regardless of the modeling used or scientists involved or who backs it, the fact remains, this planet is in trouble. and as residents of this planet i think it behooves us all to consider this weather we are ultra right or left wing, Republican or Democrat, Christian or Jew(or any other religion). this behavior is just absurd!

padre31 likes this.
  17. Ohiophinphan

I don't doubt that, which is at least in part why I spend the time I do here to try and add to the discussion.

18. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Evolution: there's nothing in the Bible that states God's creations cannot change. The conflict comes when religious opponents attempt to claim that the theory of evolution means that there was no moment of creation.

Stem cell research: the attempt to discover how life forms in the womb. Don't see anything here that contracts the concept of a singular point of creation by an all-mighty entity.

Homosexuality: no one knows how homosexuality arises.

Birth control: science develops a pill, religion says abstain. Both seek the same goals. Don't see a problem here.

Global warming: haven't heard the Pope talk about this at all.

Intelligent Design's proponents believe in religion, but I know of no church that has officially endorsed it, nor do I believe any religion had a hand in the theory's development.

Scientists politicized themselves. Whether it's saying something to get grant money, placing their political beliefs above the scientific method, or just outright not caring, science today is extremely politicized.

padre31 likes this.
  19. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I hear you, but if a scientist sets out to prove a preconceived notion, than that makes him no longer a scientist nor his findings scientific, by the very definition of science. His work is no scientifically valid. However, when people of faith, go by blind faith, they are often exalted, or given the honor of being the President's spiritual adviser. (Sorry, that was a cheap shot, but I couldn't resist).

Yes, there are definitely morons and idiots on each side. My whole point was to keep them out of each other's business.

Ohiophinphan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  20. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

For every "real" scientist who's out to find an honest answer you'll find a Nazi doctor or a chemist developing weapons of mass destruction or a physicist holding Wernher von Braun's coat. Science doesn't exactly deserve the moral high ground in this debate - yes, religion has been responsible for a multitude of heinous acts. Science, on the other hand, enabled a multitude of them. I agree with your definition of "real scientists" but I'm afraid we "non-believers" tend to romanticize science a bit too much all the while demonizing religion maybe a wee bit too much.

gafinfan and Ohiophinphan like this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    In this we can agree, not that the planet itself is in trouble, rather that mankind on the planet is in trouble, the Earth can do fine without our presence.

Now for me and my Faith, I do think we have the tools to fix the problems such as hunger and disease and the other problems that face us, now whether we have the will to do so, is another question D1.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  22. Ohiophinphan

I don't think that is the point trying to be made. The article is trying to say that the accuracy of tranmission is very high. The argument is sometimes made that since we don't have original documents that the text could have been changed beyond recognition. This argument is an attempt to set that aside.

As to different translations, I most commonly work from the Greek with help from three or four English language models. From the point of view of a guy who works with them rgularly the level of difference between the various translations is not as high as some would suggest. Translations I use include the NRSV, NIV, (both American Protestant translations), NAB (an American Catholic trans.) and one with the imprimatuer of the Orthodox Patriarch of North America.

It is possible because of the rapidity of posts in this thread and my slow typing I have missed some questions directed to me. I will try and review the whole thread later and make sure. Please know that if I have I did not "duck" anything on purpose. I posted here this evening instead of dinner but now have a couple of meetings I need to attend to. Take care

23. Ohiophinphan

No apology neeeded, refer back to my prayer of "God save me from the people on my side"

Fin D likes this.
  24. DOLPHAN1

it's all good. i think this thread has been very constructive and, though we may all come from different points of view, we do seem to agree on some basic principles of how man should conduct himself with others of his kind, but not necessarily his faith. i thank you for your time and patience.

25. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Be well Pastor, you are an eloquent speaker, thank you.

gafinfan, Ohiophinphan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  26. Ohiophinphan

This post in my opinion desreves not just the thanks I gave it but an Amen from the choir! (American Church joke!)

27. DOLPHAN1

i can be ok with that. :up: i too believe that the Earth will take care of it's self. but can we set aside our differences to "fix" this situation before Mother Earth does.

28. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    :hi5: that IS the bottom line question.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    That is your interpretation. But the science community isn't out there saying there is no god. But many religious people are out there saying evolution is bunk. There saying it because they do in fact, feel it contradicts the bible's account of creation. To deny that, is to lie to yourself.

I've yet to hear any non believer, being against stem cell research. The only ones I hear are like Padre in his response to my post.

I'm sorry, I thought the majority of the religious voice out there "knows" for sure it a choice. That's what they claim anyway.

The problem with your point here and the other ones you made is, we are not debating your personal views on the issues of church and science. We are talking about the broad and general issues between the two. The have no business in each other's business.

I fail to see your point here as it pertains to this thread. We're talking about religion vs. science. The simple fact of the matter, this is a classic example of that issue in that religious people are trying to get an unsubstantiated hypothesis in a science class as scientific fact.

This is certainly a chicken/egg scenario. You say scientists have politicized themselves, yet I say the issues they try to investigate are political in nature. Yeah, they may have to say this or that to get funding. But most have to do that to get that funding from...well...politicians.

30. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I'm not putting them on a higher moral ground. But science by its very nature allows for change and rethinking, where religion cannot. Again, the point of my part in this discussion, is to say that religion and science are built on two completely different ideals, and should stay out of each other's affairs.

31. Darkoak

Darkoak Gone for good.

Apr 4, 2008
    That is not true at all, otherwise how could you explain the many denominations of the major faiths?

32. DOLPHAN1

welcome. it's nice to see an old new face.:shifty::lol:

33. Ohiophinphan

I'm sorry but I have to call you on this one. In my opinion, the statement I highlighted is just wrong. Religious understanding changes all the time. Theology grows, translations and interpretations get tested and supported or blown up all the time.

I wrote a major paper in seminary on how the book of Dueteronomy was modeled after Hittite suzeranty treaties. Got an A and lots of pats on the back. It was the prevailing position of its day. Today I would get laughed out of a classroom as further study has debunked the idea.

34. Ohiophinphan

Should have read the rest of page eight before commenting on page seven! Welcome to the asylum. Take a number and add your two cents.

35. Dolphan7

Dolphan7 Member

Jan 3, 2008
    AZ
    What a great thread! Lot's of great posts.

As to the original question - Does Science make belief in God obsolete?

I think that question is up to the individual.

Science does not, nor can it, prove or disprove God as an entity to be seen heard felt etc.....

Science can certainly observe and study evidences of God's Creation - Earth/Universe etc...and make it's own conclusions.

I don't believe science is out to disprove God, or get rid of God, but it does attempt to "remove God" from the possible explanations, resorting to only "natural" causes.

But I do believe that there are science "people" who believe in evolution to the point of eliminating God altogether...again it is an individual choice.

Science can be a great tool for mankind, but it can also be a great detriment.

36. DOLPHAN1

nice to see you in this one. couple of points i'd like to make. first, true science, i don't believe attempts t remove anything but lack of knowledge. if God IS nature, then science only proves how God, or any deity you may believe in, works through nature. science is about discovering.

second, the same can be said about religions and some of their members. in the end, both can be said to be after the same thing. religions want to know how it works from the inside and science wants to know how it works from the outside. what makes either questionable is how individuals use each for their own personal agenda. not everyone is comfortable with the internal search for our meaning and look for it in external expressions, just as some are not comfortable with external meanings and look inward for their answers. in this manor, is one more correct than the other? as you said, that is up to the individual as to which is best for them.

Dolphan7 likes this.
  37. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

I don't think they can and I certainly don't think they should. The interdependency between science and philosophy (I like to classify religion as a philosophy here; it has its own set of metaphysics, ontology, ethics and so forth) is actually quite healthy. If science isn't subject to a moral instance, it has a certain tendency to go wrong. I've already given several examples to that point and I could give a lot more. It's not a fault of science by any means. It's its inherent nature. Science inherently is concerned about what we can do. However, it isn't always concerned with what we should do. The Manhattan Project, for instance, perfectly illustrates this characteristic. If someone would have said, hey folks, we are about to build a weapon that might one day wipe out millions and billions of people or even every notable life form on this planet aside from the ****roaches ... don't you think someone else would have said, gee, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but that does not sound like the most brilliant idea ever?

Personally, I don't have a problem with abortion or stem cell research or genetics, but it's absolutely necessary that some people are asking: do we really want this? That's a legitimate and important question when it comes to science. Science says, we can do this, philosophy asks, okay, but do we want to? Should we? Science can't answer this question because it's a) not its job and b) scientists aren't trained for it. Now, like you, I despise people who get involved in these matters because they have a religious agenda beyond a fundamental ethical point of view. But that doesn't apply to religion in general. To ask a religion (or any philosophy for that matter) to refrain from mingling with science is to ask people to not only trust in the rationality of science but also in the absolute rightness of science. But science isn't always right when it comes to ethics. In fact, quite often it's very very wrong.

On the other hand, I firmly expect science to get involved in religious matters if necessary. When a religious nutjob claims that earth is only 30.000 years old, I expect science to come forward and say, sorry dude, but that's a load of bull and we can prove it. That's the responsibility of science. It's obliged to the truth. If the followers of the nutjob are still resolved to believe otherwise, believe away. I stop mingling right there. Science can lead the horse to the water but it can't make it drink. But science needs to get involved in religious matters. It's healthy for religion. A couple of hundred years ago, people believed in the Bible in a literal sense. Then science comes along and says, sorry to spoil the fun, folks, but here's a list of stuff that the Bible's got wrong. And people started to realize that the Bible might just be a metaphorical text. We know a lot more about the Bible today because science got involved. If I were a believer, I'd be thrilled by every new scientific find that seemingly contradicted a Biblical account because then I'd knew I had gotten it all wrong before and science had just given me the chance of figuring out what it's really about.

To make a long story short: There absolutely needs to be an interdependancy between science and religion. That's not to be confused with a mix of both, of course. There cannot be a religious science and there cannot be a scientific religion. But both still can and do profit from each other.

DOLPHAN1, gafinfan and Ohiophinphan like this.
  38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First of all, it is completely inaccurate to classify religion as philosophy, especially in this conversation. While philosophy and religion both ask questions, religion believes it has the answers, and those answers are absolute. Secondly, moral ambiguity does not belong solely to science, nor is having morals an exclusive of the religious. The AIDS epidemic in Africa perfectly illustrates this. The Pope said do not use condoms, abstinence is better. They stopped using condoms, and AIDS is and has been running rampant. As far as the Manhattan Project goes, it is unfair to blame that solely on science. Scientists didn't just get together and say hey let's build bombs. They were funded and started by government and industry. The members of which were mostly self considered to be Christians and Jews.

Science has codes of ethics. Both religion and science have done deplorable things. However, neither is here to police one another. Religion, ultimately, is about policing yourself, while science is about answering questions using the Scientific Method. Philosophy, in many ways is the mixture of the two. On a side note, I just find it infuriating that many assume you have to be religious to be moral.

Religion and science, at there base are pure and intend no harm. Any problems with the two, generally stem from corrupted people in search of wealth and power. The main differences for me, though, is 1. Science tells us what is possible, while religion tells us what we are allowed to do. And 2. Science has to prove its findings, while religion doesn't.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Nuances may change, but ultimately, if science proves that gravity is wrong, then its back to the drawing board. Now, if it was found out that Egyptians didn't have slaves, then Christianity and Judaism have a major problem, for example.

40. DOLPHAN1

kinda funny that you say that because there is a belief that is building some following that states that the term "slave" is being used incorrectly. that, though the Jews were not the same class level as the Egyptians, they were "free" to move about and were actually paid for their services (though mostly with food and shelter). goes to the point that translations are not always accurate and the thought that the Jews were owned may prove to be incorrect.