1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does signing Jason Taylor make up for not drafting a OLB this year?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, May 13, 2009.

Does signing JT make up for not drafting a OLB?

Poll closed May 20, 2009.
  1. Yes, JT still has gas in the tank.

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  2. No, we should have went with younger players.

11 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. Could be, we'll see

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  4. Don't know

3 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We've resigned Jason Taylor, one time pass rusher and face of the franchise, does this cover for the fact we did not draft a Outside Linebacker in this past draft?

What do you expect from JT this season?

2. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    No, Taylor isn't a SLB and he will be used in a situational role. We needed to inject some youth and talent into all 4 LB spots and we didn't do it.

Coral Reefer and Fin D like this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice l2g, that shows character to take that stand.

Xeticus and like2god like this.
  4. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Short term yes, long term maybe. The reason I say maybe is that Taylor's presence buys the team until the 2010 draft to address the OLB position. So actually the answer to your question is yes because it does make up for not drafting a OLB in "this year's" draft. It buys the team another year at least so it does address a long term need temporarily.

As for what I expect I see him being a more situational guy so that the younger players can get time as well. He'll be especially useful on third downs where rushing the passer will be huge especially early in the year as the secondary develops. He probably won't have a monster year statistically but his intangibles impact will be huge.

Also I just read that he turned down 8.5 million to sign with Washington but took 1.5 to sign in Miami, that's crazy. Anyone saying he's all about the money (at this time at least) have to be crazy. :yes:

BrazForPhins, resnor, gunn34 and 3 others like this.
  5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I agree with l2g. But I doubt that it was meant to make up for a lack of youth at the linebacker position. I still think given the signings and such that there was some hesitation to take the linebackers in this years draft.....

like2god and sking29 like this.
  6. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Plus I think the LB corp is scheduled for a 2010 draft run anyway. When you look at the draft strategy the first year on defense was the line, the second the secondary, and that makes it seem likely that next year the focus will shift to the LB corp. Youth has been injected at other parts of the defense and don't tell me that Parcells and Co. don't know that Porter is older and also the Taylor deal being 1 year should tip people off that they will probably go LB heavy in next year's draft. There seems to be a plan and part of that plan so far has been to get veteran FAs to hold over until the new guys arrive and keep what youth you have.

Colorado Dolfan likes this.
  7. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I don't mind taking the unpopular stand if I truly believe in it. :wink2:

padre31 likes this.
  8. Colorado Dolfan

Colorado Dolfan ...dirty drownin' man?

I agree with sking... Taylor is perfect for this year... Next year we go hard and heavy in the draft for a LB corps...

9. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    can you add an option for "No, but we didn't have to make up for not drafting an OLB"? i would vote for that, only because thats apparently what the FO feels

Fin D and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the Patsies have been good for years with older linebackers, a part of that is their stellar defensive line, if one looks at signing JT in that sense, and signing Grove, we've sort of taken a page from the way they do things.

And we have tons of confidence in our Defensive Line keeping Olinemen off our Linebackers.

So to me, "yes" Signing JT does make up for not taking a Sintim this draft simply because football is played in the 'now" if they thought JT can help, then there is no reason not to sign him.

My only quibble is Hartline, if there were a OLB in the 4th round that we wanted, then perhaps we should not have passed on them, but still, JT is Bisquick, add water, he's good to go.

MonstBlitz and Colorado Dolfan like this.
  11. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I voted yes. People who voted no and believe we should have drafted different than what we did - are you of the belief that guys like Walden, George and Wake have little to no potential?
    IMO the Taylor signing pretty much says the plan is to win now as well as in the future. We have guys on the roster who show promise, but there's no great pressure for them to excel this year.

12. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Good enough for now. He's a one-two year stopgap.

gunn34 likes this.
  13. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I suspect a few of us that voted no, did so, because we were fine with the draft, we just didn't really want Taylor back. I could be wrong.

Larry Little and late again like this.
  14. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I couldn't vote because I feel like there should have been another option such as "No they didn't need to make up for it" or "No because they addressed LB by other means"
    I feel confident that they have a definite plan and I feel confident they have addressed it somewhat with the players they signed and they will make it a priority in the next draft. They have a definite plan and are building the Dolphins their way and we all new they couldn't address all the needs in one or two drafts.
    By voting as the poll is worded is to imply that they had to make up for something they did wrong and I don't believe that. They don't need to make up for anything, so my answer is none of the above but that is JMO and its not meant as a slight again'st you Padre31 and I really hope you don't take it that way.

Fin D likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We did have 22 sacks from our starting OLB's, however Joey Porter had a career year and had 5 sacks in one game against the 49ers, without that game the duo would average 9 sacks for 16 games, a below par performance.

16. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    But why? He should significantly upgrade our pass rush. If he doesn't then we'll see more of Roth and Wake and Walden.
    Loyalty issue? Hey he's openly lobbied to come back. According to the articles reporting his resigning, he told his agent that he would sign for whatever $$ fit into their budget. The last athlete that I can recall doing that was John Stockton. It's pretty rare.
    IMO his humbling himself with open lobbying and willingness to sign for "whatever" ought to be looked at as penance paid.

17. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I've been on the record in the past, I blame JT for a lot of the 1-15 year. In fact, i blame him more than Cameron. I understand I am in the severe minority on that, but it is what it is.

Yes, he does seem more humbled and he damn well should be. If he rededicates himself, shuts his mouth and plays, I'll be happy about it in the end. We'll see.

Larry Little and late again like this.
  18. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Does signing Jason Taylor make up for not drafting an OLB this year? No. Not by himself that is. However, Joey Porter, Matt Roth, Cameron Wake and Jason Taylor make up for not drafting an OLB this year. Also, take into account that this regime was overly aware of the need for an OLB which is why they courted Taylor. It's not as though they just got to the draft and forgot about that position. We just had other players ranked higher on the board and took who we thought was the best player for us at each position. So I would say, don't pay attention to what we didn't take, pay attention to what we did take. This regime knows how to draft. We're in a good spot. JT just makes that spot a little better.

Colorado Dolfan and padre31 like this.
  19. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    I'm not willing to go so far as to quantify JT's impact to our 1-15 season, but I can agree that most likely he didn't help matters. However, neither did Porter, Thomas, Traylor, etc. And those are only the ones that I read about.
    As to rededicating himself, he's already stated as much. Not to mention that I don't believe for a minute that he would have been resigned if he hadn't pledged to our offseason program. In fact one of the articles stated that he had already started it on his own. That he had been texting with Coach Sparano on a daily basis and fully plans on being a part of all offseason activity. He's supposedly turned down some non football related opportunities in order to do all this.

20. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    He is a Miami bDolphin all the way. I truely expect he will have a different attitude this year. I think we will see because we did sign Wake. We have a few younger guys, just not thru the "draft".

padre31 likes this.
  21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    A couple of things come to mind concerning JT and his value to us:

1. He's healthy, that is no small thing, finding healthy Veterans who can contribute from Game 1 is huge, especially this late in the preseason.

2. JT knows how to drop back into coverages, there is no question about that.

3. JT, even at 35, can play all over the place on our defense, inside or outside, up or down, he gives us tremendous flexibility.

4. JT is coming off a season where he was released, Jason Taylor has pride in what he has done in the NFL, he should enter 2009 with a chip on his shoulder.

5. There is literally no FA we could have signed who could have this much impact on our Defense for the sum of 1.1 million dollars.

Finally, it's good that when JT hangs up his cleats, and says "it's over, I'm done" he will do so as a Miami Dolphin, in the age of Free Agency, that is no small thing.

vt_dolfan, RevRick, FinSane and 3 others like this.
  22. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    We'll find our OLB in next year's draft. There's a lot to choose from.

23. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    (Cameron) Wake up and smell the coffee!

24. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    No,Padre.
    They know what they are doing."WE" don't have a clue.

I hope JT can perform to the level we are accustomed to.
    7 sacks from him would be a nice contribution.:up:

25. JagsFan3223

JagsFan3223 New Member

May 11, 2009
    Can JT play OLB?

26. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, he won Defensive MVP as an OLB under Saban. ;)

padre31 likes this.
  27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Do...not....burn...your...JT ...jersey...

Sceeto likes this.
  28. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    LOL!!! ;) Nope, I still have it. Pheew! That was a close one. :D

padre31 likes this.
  29. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Wake is a huge question mark, there is a big difference between the NFL and the CFL. Lets not forget that he went undrafted and was cut by the Giants, he has to prove that he can play at a high level before I give him the type of love that some people are shelling out. Even with Wake, we still needed to add youth and talent at LB, we failed to do so.

Sceeto likes this.
  30. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    As I said in another thread.

This in the end is IMO going to be mostly a "feel good" move rather than a productive move. I don't expect JT to magically regain his dedication and love for the game simply by coming back to Miami.

Everything rides on Cam Wake transitioning to the NFL and that's a lot to expect from a CFL'er.

The Pat White pick rears it's ugly head.

padre31 and like2god like this.
  31. TotoreMexico

TotoreMexico Your retarded

Jan 4, 2008
    Mexico
    Well considering he won the Defensive MVP while playing OLB, I'm pretty sure he can

32. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    only so many draft picks:yes:
    this is year two of a four year rebuilding project
    we are deep in LB's, 2010 will be another opportunity to add another if we need to bring in more fire power
    however I think NT will be first on the shopping list next time round

what Jason does is give us a legitimate shot @ winning the AFC Championship again in 2009

the Triad of Trouble (Taylor, Wake & Porter) will be saying hello to QB's in a big way!
    look for an adaption to the 3-4 to use all three on passing downs:escape2:
    Pass Rush!:up:

"Deus Americas Benedicat"

33. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Wake is no different from any rook we may have drafted, they may have made headlines elsewhere, but step on the field in the NFL and doing it is another matter altogether.

JT has proven he can do it, granted he is 35 not 27, and he is 100% healthy, not coming off of a ACL or back problems, JT was so talented when younger that even with diminished skills he still can put up numbers for us.

BTW, the poll is very revealing, the forum is mixed on bringing JT back, which is awesome as half the voters in it are not suffering from "fan euphoria"

Coral Reefer likes this.
  34. Xeticus

Xeticus Junior Member

Mar 30, 2008
    Next year i think we address the LB corps RB. LB will still be a need and Ronnie and Ricky will be free agents. At the very least we'd have to draft Ronnie's eventual replacement.

35. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Yes, absolutely. I think this is reflected by the trends our front office shows during a draft, and their theory of doubling up. I believe they see true multi lb talent in the 2010 draft. This allowed them the luxury of both doubling up on a major hole this season at cb taking two prototypical cb's for the defense we want to run AND adding a major artillary piece to the wildcat, in Pat White. This organization is playing this like chess, and is already planning two steps ahead of everyone else. I agree, in 2010, when the draft class is considered to be much deeper, you will see them address the LB spot by doubling up where they see value. Its truly definate that every move is part of a plan. How they treated our secondary this season is a perfect example. Their draft board is probably three seasons long....
    Posted via Mobile Device