1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DOLFANMIKE selected to serve as Head Coach for California All Star game

Discussion in 'Announcements and Such' started by DOLFANMIKE, Nov 5, 2010.

1. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Congratulations, Mike. That's quite an accomplishment; we're lucky to have you among us here in the community.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  2. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Well deserved I am sure, thanks for taking the time to post intelligent , insightful thoughts , opinions and breakdowns for us all.

ToddsPhins and DOLFANMIKE like this.
  3. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Congrats for you and your little boy. You are the one on the left correct? lol jk.

Looks like a very proud pop there for a good reason.:)

4. DOLFANMIKE

DOLFANMIKE FOOTBALL COACH 32 YEARS Luxury Box

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    UPDATE:

Thanks everyone it's special being able to share the moment with you. The game will be on Comcast Cable at 3:30 pm Sunday. It will be broadcast live fyi.

Also, a HUGE news update: Codi has been named to the All American Football team as a Defensive Tackle. He will be playing in the Army All American Bowl in January. We are very proud of him as he has worked hard for many many years and this recognition is a true honor.

This should place him on every college in the nations Top 100 watch list as he enters into high school next year. Codi will be #77 in the All Star game on TV this weekend.

Bpk, Themole, padre31 and 1 other person like this.
  5. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Congratulations!

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  6. Darrelle Revis

Darrelle Revis I BELIEVE!

Apr 21, 2010
    New York City
    awesome bro! Congrats!

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  7. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

So???? How did things go????

Bpk likes this.
  8. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Game Update:
    [​IMG]
    Game went back and forth, but our defense kicked *** on them all game. They broke one play on offense all game, a 50 yarder after some confusion created by the refs. Their other TD came on a punt return. We led most the game 7-6 but after they scored on the Punt Return we came right back and scored on a 75 yard TD pass and then with the score 14-13, we chose to go for the win with 2 minutes left and converted a 2 point conversion to win 15-14.

It was alot of work but also a blast

Bpk, JCowScot, alen1 and 1 other person like this.
  9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Congratulations once again, Coach. Awesome to read.

I have a couple questions about your defensive philosophy. I know you said you were a Quarters guy but do you 2 Read at all? I'll ask my next question depending on your answer of the first question lol.

Thanks.

DOLFANMIKE likes this.
  10. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    In the All Star game we went with Quarters all game because it best suited almost everything they wanted to do. In fact, they weren't overly impressive throwing the ball (timing just wasnt there and our rush nulified them) so we rolled our safeties up to 5-6 yards and played 9 in the box quarters. They were one of those teams that wanted to play safe and "not make mistakes" so they went 3 and out alot.

Our problem on offense was we had one QB fumble 3 snaps and lose the ball or kill drives. He had only played in shotgun schemes and he struggled in the cold taking the traditional snap on two of the fumbles.

We did put in Cover 2, but we mostly run the tradional Cover two package. Quarters is so good to us that we don't really need a girlfriend on the side.

Ohiophinphan and alen1 like this.
  11. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Why traditional cover 2 if you don't mind me asking? Why not just continue to read #2 and if you have multiple verticals, you turn it into Quarters / 2 Read ? If you play the original Quarters then how do you cover flats? Widen OLB's?

12. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    We prefer the traditional Two because not as many people run it anymore, and it's very easy to teach within our primary Quarters scheme. I guess to be fair some of the principles of a Two Read are taught in there, probabally because the clinics favor those techniques over the last ten years and we pick up good stuff that compliments what we do. I guess the idea of a CB potentially siting in the flat covering nothing is not real appealing, so the Two Read finds its way into a traditional Two as coaches see ways to implement things.

We will start off a game giving up the short flats and coach up all week on responding up to it and tackling it. We understand its a weakness, as do our players, so we work and work and work on responding up to the flats throughout the weekly practices from a variety of routes. Remember - if we are brinig our OLB's then the QB doesnt have long at all to read and throw, especially in those pistol or shotgun formations.

If someone shows us that they are good enough to run routes in the flats all game and beat our pressure, coverage and they can have that consistency (we havent seen anyone do it yet) then we can mix in some drops with an OLB. We favor instead widening our ILB towards the trips as a deterant to the flats possibilities. Doubles we'll go base and see what happens. Two teams tried to throw there on us this year. One team lost to us 48 to 2, and they had two of their receivers leave the game injured as we came up responding to the under throw and we also made their QB miss about a quarter of play.

Pretty much the same in the other game, only the score was 30-8 and only one WR got knocked out of the game catching a hitch. It was effective for about 4-5 plays but then our boys started figuring them out a little better by game situation and then it was all the typical shutdown.

Spread coaches tend to think alike and in this case that makes them their own worst enemy. We see the same types of attack week after week with a pass confident team.

Ohiophinphan and alen1 like this.
  13. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Gotcha. Makes sense.

Don't mean to bug you with this but one last question; how would you defend the Smash with 2 Read? Have the OLB carry the flat and then drop the cornerback underneath the #2's flag route?

Would Clue coverage be an option?

14. DOLFANMIKE

Mar 22, 2008
    California
    Smash isnt a problem at all for a cover two read unless you are the Miami Dolphins (LOL)...

The CB takes the outside shorter route (Curl, etc) and the Saftey runs with the #2 inside receiver on his Corner route. If trips is used however, rather than Doubles, the play becomes more dangerous as the onside S must run with the #2 corner route and the #3 WR running seam has to be covered by the BACKSIDE Cover 2 Safety. It's kind of a ***** because he isnt used to haing to play into the other deep zone that far.... and he gives up being able to help on backside post. This topic is exactly what I was calling for in my small box rant threads.

We converted this very route against Cover 2 in the All State Game on 3rd and 17 (Gain of 28 or so). Slot caught the ball on tip toes on sideline (Safety was late on read).

I'm not familiar with the term "Clue"

alen1 likes this.
  15. cubanogrande2001

cubanogrande2001 New Member

Dec 22, 2010
    if do this job well enough, you might just be in line to coach the fins next year.......lol congrats