1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphans, A Little Deja Vu In The SB?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by MaddMatt, Feb 8, 2010.

Tags:
  1. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    When I saw The Saints get the Big Mo changer to end the half, I told my wife that I've seen this movie before, NO is gonna win this thing.

Sure enough, the on side kick, same as a TO, started the second half, and away they went.

DAMN, Brees sure looks good playing in Miami. He said he was shunned by the Phins, and you could see and hear that he resented it. :sad:

Oh well, who knows what may have happened. IF Brees would have signed with us, he could have ended up as a backup for Oakland and Detroit.

2. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Yeah, lets not play the guessing game on Brees. We missed the boat on that one, but lets just hope we make the right decisions going forward.

And yeah, the Saints were crazy good at forcing turnovers all year round. That's part of why their defense was so good against us too. I feel comfortable knowing that we hung with both super bowl competitors, and had it not been for a rookie QB, some WRs that can't catch, and Sparano's boneheaded timeout, we'd possibly have beaten them legitimately like Dallas.

Oh well, here's to hoping Henne shines next year and this is all a moot point. I'm so glad the super bowl is over and I can stop hearing about "The Dolphins screwed up by not picking up Brees twice."

3. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    With Brees, I just put my faith in God that he had a higher plan for him to help restore New Orleans. Otherwise, I just can't figure it out. It's the only thing that keeps me sane about this, actually.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm with SeanP. Enough already about "What if we had Brees". We don't. I'll stick with Henne and see what he can do for this team and city in a couple years.

5. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    a 2nd rounder for Culpepper, and we wonder were it all went wrong...

DolfanTom likes this.
  6. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Sad part here is - while I wanted Brees, I really thought Pepper was a nice consolation prize. Wow did that turn out badly.

finyank13 likes this.
  7. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Agreed, we sure as hell hung with the best. That says a lot of our very young team.

A year ago, I looked at all the potential FA's for 2010, and was like a little kid in a candy store. Now, with 99% gone, I think more of those what if's than Brees.

8. Caps

Caps Movimiento Juvenil

Mar 23, 2008
    While we're talking about deja vu and the Saints, I see a little deja vu between the Saints and the Dolphins rebuilding processes myself.

Think about it, Sean Payton, an offensive-minded Tuna disciple, takes over a team coming off one of the worst seasons ever and promptly turns them around, winning double digit games and making the playoffs, but ultimately coming up short because they didn't have the talent to hang with the big boys.

His second season is a disappointment, starting the season on a losing streak before making a turnaround but ultimately ending up at 7-9, and people start to question whether he benefited from a "Cinderella Season" and can't do it consistently. His third season is little better at 8-8.

He decides to fire his DC and brings in one of the most respected defensive minds in football to run that side of the ball. Doesn't all that sound familiar?

They get a few FA vets and a few rookies to contribute on defense to compliment their already-good offense. They win the Superbowl.

With a little bit of luck, a solid offseason or two, and most importantly with strong development from Henne, I can definitely see history repeating.

9. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    culpepper sucked in minny in 2005 before he got his knee tore up
    what would have ever led you to believe giving up a second for him was a good idea
    i knew from the very beginning that trade was a fuggin disaster

DolfanJake, MikeHoncho and jetssuck like this.
  10. MaddMatt

MaddMatt New Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Miami
    Good post Caps. Hope you're right, and that we are a year early.

11. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Good for Brees. Good for the Saints. Im happy for them.

Lets get ours.

12. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    C-Pep didn't start the fire, he was just left holding the gasoline can. Our problems began with Wannstedt's inability to draft.

Fun fact: a Miami Hurricane has scored a touchdown in the NFL every week since Week 15 2002 or so... and the Miami Dolphins have more or less ignored this football factory in its very backyard.

DolfanJake and eric like this.
  13. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    me too, I hated giving up that 2nd, but I though he would be halfway decent after his knee injury, I guess Moss made him look that good.....like with Brady right, do you think he would be half as good now, if he didn't have Moss....??

14. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    maybe Wilfork comes to Miami and falls on a ball in the end zone, after stripping Brady..

15. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    seriously look at this and look at the people drafted after JAMAR FLETCHER!!! Dave Wannsteadt is a effing genius!!!!! Wayne, Brees, VanDen Bosch, Jenkins, Ocho, Smith hahahahahahah!!!! What were they looking at!?!?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_NFL_Draft

16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The best way I can explain it is that Wannstedt wanted the best athlete available, not the best football player available. That's the only evaluation I can come up with that makes any sense. He sure wasn't drafting for need, wasn't drafting BPA, and never really explained his philosophy... which means he probably didn't have one.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Presuming he isn't franchised, I'd drive an F-250 full of money onto his front lawn, and then I'd even give him the keys.

Edit: Whoops. Meant to edit my previous post. Twice in one week... I'm slipping.

18. Thunderbolt89

Thunderbolt89 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Watching the Super Bowl yesterday I kind of felt the same way wondering what if? I just stopped and realized everyone can play that game because there were many times especially with the Fins where we made the wrong turn. I am over it at this point and am really excited watching Henne play,we may have our own franchise qb in the making,I really liked what I saw last season and can't wait to see him continue to develop. We just have to play with what we were dealt.

19. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    bingo brother!!I hate falling in love with the best athlete, the combine does that...cuz u see workout warriors like Ghoslton, and just say to yourself, "aww this guy has to be able to play, he benches 225--50X"...alot of times they are wrong though, hopefully BP, Ireland, Tony, and Nolan hit it this time, cuz this draft is mega deep bro...

20. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    hahah I got a 150, think that big enough!!! pick me up bro...you'll have to come this way anyway ha! :knucks:

21. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    With all due respect we just keep hearing:

In a couple years.........37 long years and counting:cry:

DeDolfan and DolfanJake like this.
  22. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    It is what it is. We did not get Brees, we dealt with what happened, i only hope to put that behind is, and one day be happy we passed on Brees because if we didn't we would not have Henne who won us a few super bowls...All i need is one super bowl from Henne and im over the whole Brees situation...

23. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    We missed the boat on a lot of them. Favre, Montana, Brady, Patrick Willis, to name a few. ;)

24. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Boldin!

I heard that Wannstedt used baloons and a dart board to make his draft picks? It would have been interesting to see their draft board. But the problem was it didn't end with Wannstedt, it continued through Saban and Cameron. I am still waiting for the rest of Ginn's family to suit up and put on the pads!

DolfanJake likes this.
  25. DeDolfan

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach

But what the hell, we got Eddie [****ing] Moore instead tho !!!
    Hoo-Rah !!! ;)

26. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Which is why he is no longer an NFL coach, and most likely will never be one again.

But again its the Dolphins and especially Huizenga who paid the price of his incompetence. Unfair, but that is life, just ask the Cubs.

27. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I am coming around to this thinking too......

New Orleans, Arizona, Atlanta, and the Jets have all had just as bad or almost as bad team rosters as we have had within the last 6 years, yet all of them have teams that most would consider better than ours already, and closer to winning on the elite level.

I'm tired of always being the Cubs of the NFL. :pity:

DeDolfan and 2socks like this.
  28. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I know there isn't a lot any one of us can do individually. But, sheezz, I want to win and every year we hear the same crap. A lot of us on this board and others except it for what it is so easily. Just kind of bothers ya after awhile and you just want to scream.......what's wrong with now, today you know............... not tomorrow.

Then the constant excuses of this player or that player has to "develop". This player got injured or that player shouldn't have been smoking pot......i don't know.....venting I guess.....frustration is deep......ok rant is over know back to our regular channel:up:

DeDolfan likes this.
  29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It's why he's no longer in charge of an NFL personnel department. His inability to coach is completely separate.

Wannstedt should stand as a reminder to all Dolphins fans that having a coach in charge of the draft is not a good thing.

DeDolfan likes this.
  30. DeDolfan

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    At the rate we're going, the Lions will play in a SB before we will....again. ;)

31. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Cut with the crybaby crap,Except for a few years we've been in the playoffs allmost every year since Shula took the reigns,we've been to the Superbowl 5 Times since then,won back to back on top of it,have the highest winning percentage of any team in our division,the Chicago Cubs? I think not.

32. DeDolfan

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach

Oh buzz off! You missed the point apparently. What you're describing was many moons ago. % SB appearances, the last was 25 yrs ago. We used to be a perennial playoff team but no more. This team has slowly evolved backwards for the last 15 yrs since we last played in the AFC gm. And you're OK with that? But yeah, it's been 37 yrs and counting since we last won the SB.

33. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Buzz off yourself
    We were in the playoffs last year,as division champs,the Eagles have been to the Superbowl twice,and lost both times,from 1997 to 2001 we were in the playoffs EVERY YEAR,not exactly ancient history.
    For perspective,which you obviously need,the SUPER BOWL champion Saints,have only even been in the playoffs 6 times in their 43 year existence.

34. DeDolfan

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Last year?? From a 1-15 to 11-5 team and you think we magically improved that much to support the record? But you're apparently fine with an occasional playoff appearance but that just doesn't cut it. We've just been a "very good team" for so long. It's been 15 yrs since we've come anywhere close to another SB. Who really cares about what other teams have/have not done. If that is what satifies you, then go root for one of them then. I'm personally tired of being in this perpetual rut.

35. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Perpetual rut my hindquarters,we've been to the playoffs more then anyone,a couple of breaks go our way we could have snuck in to the playoffs this year.
    I would posit the exact opposite,if you want a team you can whine and moan about,there are plenty, more then readily available,I hear the Falcons and Detroit will pay you to be a fan.

36. MrPaul13

MrPaul13 Banned

Jan 3, 2010
    Everybody expected us to take a step back this year,just based on a tougher schedule,nobody expected us to lose our starting RB,QB,and NT on top of it,and we still allmost slipped in to the playoffs.

37. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Where it turned out wrong was rushing Daunte back from a knee injury you could see was still bothering him.

38. DeDolfan

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Do you even know what perpetual means? I've already said that, that we were perpetual but not any more, key word here being "were". The past 2 decades saw us winning 2 AFCE titles each compared to 4 in the 80s and 5 in the 70s. We last made the playoffs in 08 and before that it was in 01 which was the last year of our "perennial playoff" run. We had one hC for 25 yrs and 6 in the last 15. See where this is going? But we "whine and moan about the Fins because we give a **** about them and what we're doing and going. We're tired of just being a good team. We want something more and better, not just making the playoffs once in awhile. Anyone who settles for less is not a true fan of the sport.

39. DeDolfan

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    And all of that being just excuses. It is nothing different than any other team faces each year. Almost slipped in? Are you kidding me? Is that what would have made your season?

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Which playoff team lost their starting QB and RB again? In fact name me all the teams that did, and who replaced them.

Losing players on offense IMO is far worse than defense.