1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins’ D-line far from static

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

1) Randy Starks is a more effective pass rusher from a DT spot in a four-front, imo

2) Don't think we have a good 2nd DT option inside in a 4-front on our roster

3) On passing downs, I could see Wake being tried as a down (or maybe even two point stance) DE. Still, Merling doesn;t have the moves or speed to threaten on the other end in a four-front, imo. Maybe you would see Jason Taylor at the Right End spot in a four front look, with Joey Porter outside him rushing... but that would mean a nickel, so might not work against spread offenses with 4 and 5 receiver sets (those would necessitate dime, at least). But imagine a left tackle having JT lined up over him AND Joey Porter to his outside shoulder. lol. Man.

I feel like we don;t have the ENDS to play an effective 4-front, yet we don;t have the right NOSE to play a great 3-front. We need a Nose in next year's draft.

2. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Holliday is waiting in the wings to return
    @32 he's got another two or three good years left
    hope no one picks him up before we are in a position to bring him back

3. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    But would he after he was released?

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I think he (Holiday) knows the Front Office is all about the business of the team & his release was as reluctant as it was impersonal.
    I believe he would welcome a return (i.e. Jason Taylor & Crowder made sacrifices to play for the Dolphins under similar circumstances)
    I know it's a long shot but believe it is one worth considering.
    We'll know by mid-training camp. Got a feeling McDaniels is skating on thin ice. We'll see.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Well, we have some choices for next year. Suh, Terrence Cody, and the DT from Duke.

Bpk likes this.
  6. Bpk

NOt sure I know the Duke NT. I like Suh plenty.

7. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Oghobasee I think you're talking about. He's awfully big, like 6'6". He might be too big but we'll see how he plays with leverage. I have seen very little of him.

Bpk and Anonymous like this.
  8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Vince Oghobaase. Not sure if he can play the nose, but from what I'v read, he excels at stopping the run.

Bpk likes this.
  9. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

would he? yes

Holliday was on aqua vision and he stated he would come back . From the interview you clearly have the sense that he WANTS to be a dolphin again and that is his difinitive preference. He didn't dramatically announce it , but he left no doubt on where he is at for this.

anlgp and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  10. Bpk

We'd nab Holliday if there's a training camp injury, or if our kids REALLY struggle.

Vonnie will be available. I'm sure our F.O. recommended he stay in shape.

11. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Thanks for the link John, the guy didn't put a whole lot of work into that article, did he?

I expect if the FO doesn't like what they see with our existing DL, we'll see Holiday back in a similar contract to JT.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it is a good thing when good players really want to be a part of the team