1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins’ Pennington knows his future is uncertain

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by bbqpitlover, May 30, 2010.

1. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AkJ8XAVatEuiE3cP4M4t1dxDubYF?slug=ap-dolphins-pennington

Pennington is working as hard mentally this season to get ready as he ever has, and insists his competitive juices are still flowing, saying he wants desperately to be on the field, in the huddle and calling plays again. Dr. James Andrews, the renown surgeon who repaired his shoulder last October, assured him that the damage was minimal and he should be ready for 2010 with no problems.

So for now, Pennington is waiting to see what comes next. There’s a chance he could play in all 16 games this season. There’s also a chance he could get cut before the NFL year kicks off for real in September.

xphinfanx, padre31 and Disnardo like this.
  2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Penny is such a competitor that even if he doesn't throw a lot he still helps the team, and imho he will help Thiggy and White develop as Qb's.

TBH, Henne has been around Pennington for two years now, chances are good Henne will have learned what he has to by now from Pennington..or should have.

3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    hes like a on-field coach...i love it

4. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University

Not sure he has learned everything....Penny had alot of skills that cant be taught.

I would love to have Penny around for the entire season, I see us trading White or Thigpen before the season starts.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, in his interview Penny said the X's and O's were up to the Staff, the nuances were his purview, such as lining up Wr properly on the hashmarks as well as "mental reps" and their importance for a backup Qb.

Penny mentioned that if you are a backup and make it into a game, when a play is called you have to run it, the backup cannot say "but Coach, I never practiced that one".

Though visualization is a much better term than "mental rep".

Henne was in contact with Penny since 08, there are only so many nuggets that can be spread in 3 yrs.

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    it sure is an interestng qb battle, 2 thru 4.

If I had to guess, thigpen gets showcased and shopped...hopefully for a 3rd rounder.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I don't know about that Deej, to me Pennington is on the bubble simply via injuries, why move out a the young prospects for us when Penny needs more rehab?

Sparano compared Thiggy to Tony Romo, Sparano rarely makes player comparisons, if they have Romo II on the roster in their eyes it is doubtful they move him.

Which leaves White v Pennington, to me White has to show more in the WC to stick, Penny has to show his shoulder is progressing, two very different paths to making the 2010 Dolphins.

I'm a bit psyched at White's muscle gains this offseason, something we discussed just this week, if he shows more burst White could be your smashcat Qb/Wr.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Iam simply basing that guess on a healthy Pennington with renewed fervor...its a real tough decision, and I would'nt be dissapointed either way, I see value on both sides, it just depends on what this coaching staff values more, having Henne become the ultimate QB, by keeping the ultimate enviroment around him, literally, building the robot with a million dollar arm perfectly from scratch, With Penny all up in that head, also recouping a higher draft pick then what you paid for Thigpen..Theres a win win in that scenario imo..

I dont see the reason you keep thigpen around for long if Henne is your man..and from the looks of it, he is... so chalk some props to your scouting dept for doing their job by finding players, developing them, then flippin them for a higher draft pick.

9. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We'd keep thiggy around to develop him more fully ala Hasselback, and only a handful of Qb's started all 16 games in 2009, you need a quality backup qb.