1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins’ Vontae Davis ruled out of Sunday’s game

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Sep 24, 2011.

1. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    With an already suspect defense, Vontae Davis being out is going to make achieving our first win even more of a challenge. :pity:

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, not really, VD has not been playing all that well anyway.

3. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He's barely played this season anyway.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    WA will play, that dude is a warrior, and I do not use that term lightly.

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Everyone is overlooking the fact, somehow, that Sparano has been playing Vontae on special teams. Why send your best corner downfield to kamikaze his body into piles of 4th stringers play after play, then expect him to also hold down starting CB reps?

Poor player management born of desperation on special teams.

Which is a coaching failure at both the STs level (to NEED starters in coverage) and personnel usage level (Sparano). It's also an indictment of the Front Office... if the 2nd and 3rd string guys we have suck that badly at special teams, then the STs coach AND Jeff Ireland are not doing their jobs.

Vontae going down with an injury is an entirely avoidable thing. You don;t see this happen on a well-run team.

And when you see Nolan Carroll get torched this weekend, do not curse Carroll... curse the people running the franchise for the mistakes they are making that lead to Carroll even needing to be out there in the first place.

6. Bpk

I respect that Will is still willing to sacrifice his body for a team that has treated him with little respect (between the keeping him from playing elsewhere last year to cutting him this year).

7. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    **** the team, love the players. When's the last time we've ever said that?

8. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Injury aside, I'm still baffled as to why they switched Davis and Smith to opposite sides of the field. Just another head-scratcher.

9. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He's been playing special teams? Are you serious?

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Everyone keeps blaming Vontae Davis on our secondary's struggles. Yes, he has give up some plays, but he's still by far our best player in the secondary. And the worst damage has been done while he's off the field. So take him to task for missing time during the New England game for being gassed, but understand that we're in really bad shape without him. The drop in talent from him to Nolan Carroll is monumental.

If you want someone to blame, blame Coach Dummy for having VD covering punts.

11. Bpk

Totally. And when I saw that in the Pats game I couldn;t believe it. I don;t know how many snaps, but I've seen him in the pile-up a few times on coverage now.

12. Bpk

oops. double-post.

13. SRM

SRM New Member

Nov 11, 2010
    Eh Vontae on ST's doesn't really infuriate me. ST's are just as important as defense.. we need all the help we can get on them. Plus, he played on ST's most if not all last season as well. The only reason it's a big deal now is because he got a hamstring tweak.

14. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    So I guess a lot of teams have their number one cornerbacks playing STs.

15. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm sorry but there's no excuse for it whatsoever. A mediocre player can fill that role on special teams. A mediocre CB cannot stop the passing attacks of the offenses we will be facing. It's a horrendous mismanagement of talent on special teams by Coach Dummy.

16. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Ugly just got uglier.

Sean Smith will either step up or be completely exposed; Nolan Carroll will only be confirmed.

17. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I blame Vontae for not thinking enough of his profession to get himself into shape before camp. And that goes for a bunch of them on the D side of things. Cramps, pulled hammy's, getting gassed in our own stadium. Bunch of overrated candya##es.

18. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Definitely disagree. Vontae has played pretty damn well IMO (when hes been on the field). He's been left out to dry by our Safeties a couple times (which CB on our team hasnt? lol)... but other than that, hes had pretty damn good coverage IMO. I mean, the one pass Andre caught on him, Vontae was all over him... and Andre made a great catch.

19. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Eh, when you are talking about hurting a hammy from turning and running... that injury is probably happening on one of the next snaps he takes on D.

20. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

To make them interchangable which is something they could do at times in practice instead of moving them and saying here is your new spot.

21. pacadermng67

pacadermng67 New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Vienna, VA
    Sean Smith barely gets thrown at when VD is in. Why would they start throwing at him now? Its not like they use SS to match up with one guy, hence Carroll covering Johnson last game. My guess is they go after Carroll or Allen, whoever is playing. I hope Allen is ready to step up.

22. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Top corner tandem in the league my *** vontae. Show up in shape and we'll talk pal.. Not that you'd listen, you only talk anyways.

Tin Indian likes this.