1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins agree to terms with CFL All-Star Dimitri Tsoumpas

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dorfdad, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Looked didn't see this, so Im posting..

Looks like were looking to add some depth and possible starter at RIGHT Guard.. Like the signing hes a BIG OLD BOY and can play multiple positions.

http://www.phins-spotlight.com/2010/01/dolphins-agree-to-terms-with-cfl-all.html

Tone_E, ATVZ400, Brown42000 and 19 others like this.
  2. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Bpk likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I hope not. :no:

4. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I don't think that'll stop Rio from giving him a nickname regardless :lol: In all seriousness though, the trifecta has been pretty bad in drafting linemen going back to Dallas. Thankfully they've been excellent in finding them through other means.

dolfan32323 and anlgp like this.
  5. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    This could be insurance as Smiley has another surgery on the knee.

6. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    All I have to say at every position on this team if someone can give us one more sack, one more rushing yard, one more blocked defensive lineman, or anything better than what we have sign them up...

We have alot of holes to fill, and the players need to know next year is when there "WINDOW" of opportunity is open...

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Jake Long? :wink2:

I don't think it is fair to say the "trifecta" has been bad. For all we know, Ireland has been pretty good. He's drafted two starters so far out of 3 picks.

8. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    My sister could get around his blocks:lol:

Just kidding:hi5:

9. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    ROFL I don't even know how they could have messed that one up.

Bpk likes this.
  10. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    Give me a second and I'll go back through the years. I did this before but I lost the file :(

Alright, when in Dallas they drafted 5 linemen - only two are still with the team and that's Pat McQuistan (who is a special teamer) and Doug Free, who's currently their starting RT because Colombo is out for the season. He didn't even play in 2008.

***LATE EDIT***

Forgot to mention that Thomas was demoted towards the end of the year as well.

***LATER EDIT*** Colombo is back and Free is back on the bench tonight.

11. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Depth.

12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    TBO though Jerry Jones is a pretty active Owner as we are all aware. So who really knows how many of those picks were his or Parcels.

13. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimitri_Tsoumpas

6'4" 315, picked second overall by the Stampeders in the 2008 draft.

I'll take two. :yes:

gunn34 likes this.
  14. NaboCane

NaboCane Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    If he becomes an all-pro, can we start a group called...The Tsoumpa-Loumpas?

dolfan32323, Bpk, k-bayfinfan and 3 others like this.
  15. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Not to mention chronic shoulder problems.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  16. MrClean

I'm sure there will be a lot of "fans" who flippantly discount this signing as merely camp fodder. Those would be the same kind of fans who did this in regards to Mark Dixon back about 14 years ago.

Marco, Bpk and NaboCane like this.
  17. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    So Mr.Clean, do you think this guy can make an impact? Maybe letting us release Justin Smiley and maybe start him at G?

18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Honestly I'd just call it a day and say that we have a full starting line and backup line. No reason to cut anyone, no one's salary is all that ridiculous even Smiley's salary is not too unreasonable.

19. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    never heard of him..... :escape:

20. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Look at this signing strategically Ashie, he was a CFL all pro, doesn't cost much, has great size at 330, and they have 4 months to work with him before Rookie Mini Camp opens it's doors.

Plus, he has 2yrs starting experience in the CFL ontop of starting at ID, and he is only 24 with a full two seasons of practice squad eligibility available, so if he does make it he can be stashed on the practice squad roster with a ton of starting experience already making him a really good depth play.

I'll compare him to the Wake signing only in the sense that he fills a need for high quality camp bodies and he has nice measurables.

k-bayfinfan likes this.
  21. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    first everyone on Donald Thomas needs to relax, as many have said including Tony, they boy hit a wall. remember he was out all last year, his rook year and then spent the year rehabbing and learning all over again. He was basically a rookie, and needs teh exp and cond learning pass blocking. he was raw out of college.

22. MrClean

Anything is possible. Throw him into the mix and see what happens. If we release Smiley though, it puts Garner as the favorite to be the new full time starter at LG. IMO, in his first season, Tsoumpas will most likely be no more than a backup. Anything is possible though, and he could be more NFL ready than most expect him to be.

Anonymous likes this.
  23. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    When they were healthy and together they were a good unit, but the o-line was full of injuries and can be improved...this signing is a good thing.....Smiley, Thomas, Grove......all guys that were on the bench injuried when they need them the most..

24. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I really like this signing. We could use some solid depth on the line and this certainly helps.

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this is what I've been waiting to hear
    was really concerned after Dimitri (6'5" 315 lbs & quick)
    fell off the radar after his work out w/ the Dolphins
    Tsoumpas (the Thumper) is a shoe-in @ RG
    can play LG & Center too, excellent @ pass & run block

the 2010 Pod: long, smiley, grove, thomas, carey, berger, garner, dimetri & murtha

Awesome!
    :dolphin:

the Orca-5 are set w/ seven potential starters in the trenches & a reserve. I think they will carry eight. suddenly, serious competition amongst the KillerWhales :yes: & that is a very good thing; let them compete

padre31 likes this.
  26. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    from a (currently running) post:
    3) looking forward to getting a look @ LyndonMurtha this training camp
    had hopes we might (still could) snare Dimitri Tsoumpas from the CFL
    kind of fell off the radar after we had him in for a workout, we'll see
    I'm sure there will be more surprises along the offensive line in 2010

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sparano will not allow that to happen again, of that I'm certain of.

Bpk likes this.
  28. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Exactly whom I was going to mention!!!

Great call Clean.

Dixon was tough as hell, and a great great blocker for us. For awhile, he was playing better than all our other linemen. Then the accumulation of injuries seemd to catch up with him.

When you get top guys from the CFL, they can often become decent starters in the NFL.

29. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

True that. We don;t tend to repeat mistakes here.

30. emocomputerjock

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    That reminds me of something I've been thinking about: I wonder if Sparano will run as tough a training camp as he did this past year. These guys were dead on their feet and I don't know if they really got their legs under them enough for the start of the season.

31. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    The good thing about this is that is one position we can scratch off the list during the draft. So we can focus even more on the D and WR. Hopefully we continue to find other gems like him and Wake without using any draft picks. That's like finding free money.

32. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    once the foundation is properly put in place you can build anything you want
    it all begins in the trenches, they set the pace :yes: & direction for the rest of the team
    if you can win the line of scrimmage the running game develops. if you can run the ball,
    the passing game opens up & you dominate the PlayClock. the opposition can't score
    if they're not on the field & your defense is rested & @ their best when playing on the field
    once the foundation is properly put in place you can build anything you want

gunn34 likes this.
  33. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    :up:
    I think our head coach knows that better then most being an OL coach himself.

the 23rd likes this.
  34. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    just maybe that's why Bill Parcells elected to go with him

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I was sold on Cam Wake because I could watch him, this cat I'm not as sold on, the one thing I think, sight unseen, is he can anchor and pass block well as the CFL requires G's who can do that well.

Mark Dixon was a G in the CFL.

36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    only have seen the trailers & read what has been written
    (all good, better & extensive, tried & true)
    the guy appears to be the RealDeal @ RG, the best the CFL has to offer
    if he passed the mustard w/ the FrontOffice, he's probably a serious piece
    two things: he didn't come cheap & they know the trenches
    will only know when we see him in a game, that's the nature of the beast

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    :dunno:

I do know that with CFLers, the signing bonus is a great indicator of what the team who signs them thinks about their future with that organization.

38. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    He didn't come cheap? Do you know that for sure? I mean Cameron Wake was the best CFL has come out with in years and he came pretty cheap.

39. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i think they had something worked out after he came in for his workout, but they didn't want to have to release anyone - OL wise .... so they had him hold out for 2 weeks.

i do think they want to have a solid dependable starting 5 ..... the Orca-5 ....

outside of unbalanced lines, i don't think they want or plan on rotating OL in and out of the game. it was just a necessity this year with Thomas, injuries, etc ....

with Thomas, Garner, Tsoumpas, Hartline, and Feinga (even Murtha - albeit i want him as depth at T) ... that gives us 5 to make 2 -- with Thomas and Garner being the favorites right now .... and Smiley gone ....

this will only give us 1 'injury prone' OL in Grove ... with Berger as a capable back-up -- maybe Garner or one of these others could step up as well ....

i still believe Carey is a possibility as trade bait - bringing a 1/2 on draft day .... but that is wholly dependent upon where Gardner / Murtha are ... and i think we will draft another T project again this year ....

i like where we are ... and where we are going with the OL .... it will be around for several years .... and be very young !

40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Wake's 1. something million dollar signing bonus is the record paid to a CFL to NFL player.

Redskin's Brad Sellers is probably the "best' non Qb to have played in the CFL.