1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins are Looking Better as each Day Passes

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2hollywood2, Jan 26, 2010.

1. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Here's my latest rant....

http://isportsweb.com/2010/01/26/dolphins-are-looking-better-as-each-day-passes/

Dolphins are Looking Better as each Day Passes

By Ronn Burner • on January 26, 2010
    In lieu of the announcement this week that Dolphins Safety Yeremiah Bell was selected as an alternate to the Pro Bowl it got me thinking. Why are we getting so lucky all off the sudden? Someone from our secondary was elected to the Pro Bowl? Ok, where’s Ashton Kutcher? I’m not saying Bell isn’t a good player getting better but is he really amongst the top 5 out of 32 safeties in the AFC? Hey, I’m not complaining, I’m just saying. It just feels like the Dolphins have been recently surrounded with positive energy. Good things are happening. There’s just a weird front of positive energy blowing through Miami that we haven’t felt in years. Does anybody else feel this? Am I wrong? Seriously, I have huge drinking problem so sometimes my radar is way off. I once thought Neve Campbell was the hottest chick on the planet. Don’t judge me. [​IMG]
    We’re not used to this and losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 17 was the “official” end of the Dolphins rise and inevitable fall in 2009. At the time, things looked bleak. A three game losing streak knocked them so far out of the playoffs they shouldn’t have even been allowed to watch them, the Jets (whom we swept) were winning, our defense was treating ball carriers the way a rodeo clown treats the bull, Ched Henne gets that phantom “eye injury”, Pat White got hit so hard his kids are going to walk with a limp, when Ted Ginn ran onto the field it wasn’t to get the tee and Conan O’Brien was still stuck on the sinking NBC ship. It was dark times. It appeared that Miami still had a long way to go to reach the so-called “elite” status. Bookending the season with 0-3 runs is hardly a ringing endorsement for being a contender the following year. Where do we go from here and where do we even start? [​IMG]
    What a difference a few weeks make. Peyton Manning and company opened a can on the Jets (whom we swept) and euphoria ensued. Paul Pasqualoni, rightly or wrongly, was blamed for the defensive, ahem, performance thus sending him to the front of the unemployment line. Our search to land his replacement went about as well as my search to land a celebrity date from the bleachers at the Emmy Awards last week. At least I actually talked to my targets.
    [​IMG] Fade out Miami, Fade in Denver. Broncos Defensive Coordinator, Mike Nolan, and Head Coach Mike McCarthy abruptly and “cordially agree to go their separate ways” i.e. they &*%@ing hate each other. Whatever, don’t care. Fade out Denver, Fade in Miami. Bam! Like a Genie in a bottle we land, if nothing else, the best dressed Defensive Coordinator in all of football. All kidding aside (for as long as I can take it anyway) and within the context of sports, Nolan is a godsend. Our defensive struggles are well documented and Nolan, a firm believer in the 3-4 (Hey, don’t we run the 3-4?) took Denver from 29th in the league to 7th and the Broncos forced 30 turnovers, 17 more than the 13 they had the previous year. In doing so he took the undersized 5’11 Elvis Dumerville and transformed him into the 2009 NFL Sack King. Cameron Wake plays the same position and had 5 ½ on a fraction of the snaps. If we extrapolated the numbers then Wake would have something like 147 sacks next year. That would be totally awesome.
    Even in the playoffs the Dolphins are still benefiting from the positive energy bug. Don’t belief, pride, resilience, heart, hunger and confidence move mountains in the NFL? Just look at what the Jets (whom we swept) accomplished with their loose-lipped Head Coach, still wet behind the ear quarterback and the only receiver in the NFL that even Ted Ginn makes fun of. The thing is they drank their own Kool-Aid and that alone can take you places where magical things can happen. Just hope when you get there Peyton Manning isn’t standing there waiting with that stroke face smirk of his. Cause then you’re @%*&^#.
    My point is look at the so-called four best teams in the NFL. The New York Jets (whom we swept) advanced to the AFC Championship game riding on the belief instilled by their lippy rotund Coach. Players, fans, coaches and phony celebrity owners are well aware of the fact that we swept them. Dear Mr. Ryan, I think I can speak for all Dolfans when I say that we would like to offer you a Coke and a smile. Sincerely, The Broom Crew, The Sweep the Leg Gang or The Mop Squad, whichever you prefer. Sorry gravy is extra.
    The Dolphins had Corky Manning (Did that cross a line? I don’t even know. If so, I blame the Editor) and the Indianapolis Colts on the ropes with a 23-20 lead with only 3:19 left in the game until Pierre Garcon took a simple jail break screen pass 48 yards for the game winner. Chad Pennington actually still gave Miami a chance to win with a strike that ricocheted so hard of Ginn’s hands it looked like he was trying to block a shot – Ted Ginn Jr. Great googly moogly. And I’m back. - Miami held the ball for 45:07 to the Colts 14:53 (dry heave). Then the New Orleans Saints came marching in with their unstoppable offense and Miami jumped on them like they were our prom date mounting (pun intended) a 24-3 lead only to see a bevy of errors by the players, coaching staff and officiating crew flip us over with no Vaseline. And you can bet your bottom dollar that had we played the Minnesota Vikings we would have been in the game right up until Ginn dropped a pass, Sparano made a bonehead decision, Ricky fumbled or our defense gave up a 40 yard quarterback sneak.

What’s my point? Well, it’s simple. We were literally 1 play away from beating both the 2009-10 Super Bowl XXXXIIII, er, XXXXIV, argh, 44 Champions and the eventual loser in addition to sweeping the AFC runner-up.
    If that doesn’t instill supreme confidence in our 2010 chances than nothing short of Dan Marino strapping the pads back on will.
    Don’t lie, Neve Campbell was sort of hot in “Wild Things”.

2. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Amen.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  3. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Nice blog. Nice thoughts..except..
    well...
    :shifty: Mike McCarthy isn't the Broncos HC.
    I'm just sayin.:dunno:
    But, I agree with the sunshine up the butt attitude. I think we're heading in the right direction.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  4. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I like it

2hollywood2 and dolfan7171 like this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I look forward to 147 sacks

dolfan7171 and gafinfan like this.
  6. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    I just have a feeling that we really are not far off and that next year could be big for us if we have a strong offseason and players remain as healthy as possible.

7. Starry31

Starry31 Phins and Heels.

Dec 8, 2009
    North Carolina
    :lol: I won't judge, I like her.

It does kind of make you feel somewhat good to know we were in control of the AFC Champion and possibly a Ginn catch away from a win, and we had a 21 point lead on the NFC Champion. Then the negative side of your brain kicks in and reminds you of that very important Buffalo game we lost... yeah, Buffalo... with Fitzpatrick quarterbacking.

8. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    If Wake gets 147 sacks next year, Neve Campbell can be #1 in my book.

2hollywood2, dolfan7171 and TiP54 like this.
  9. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Big Ginn fan, eh?

Good article. We had massive amounts of luck in 2008 and almost zero in 2009. Hopefully this year that luck returns. The NFL is a lot about luck and I'll take every other year (considering our luck in 2007 - we're due a few on the positive side).

2hollywood2 likes this.
  10. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I think the majority of the problems that happened with this team was due to the constant turnovers in coaches and GM's during the past 15 years. We were fortunate to have Don Shula coaching this team from 1970-1995.....then we had nothing but instability among our coaching staff....and one QB after another trying to replace Marino. I think we are heading in the right direction and we are moving up while the Patriots are heading downhill....we can handle the Jets and the Bills are the Bills.

We just have to make sure we make smart draft picks and obtain the right free agents....I think Parcells and Ireland will get us to a point where we can compete for a SB in the next couple years.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  11. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Yes Sir, you are correct. I put the packers Head Coach in by mistake. Good catch and thank you.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  12. LandShark13

LandShark13 New Member

Oct 20, 2009
    North Miami
    Fun read! I enjoyed it very much :thumbup:

13. 2hollywood2

2hollywood2 New Member

Jan 19, 2010
    And because I'm stupid I neglected to mention the unquantified and undeniably serious advantage the Dolphins have with the opportunity for their coaching staff to coach the Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL this week. Their off season luck continued because this opportunity fell into their lap when 4 other NFL teams with lesser records declined the offer to coach the Senior Bowl in Mobile, AL. The advantage of all the scouting, practices, drills, face to face interactions and every other possible thing a scout or coach could possibly ask for is at their disposal with this privilege and I fully expect the likes of Tony Sparano, Jeff Ireland and bill Parcells to take full advantage of the opportunity.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  14. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    I love all of what you said there. Yes I think Neve Campbell is hot even if no one does!!

2hollywood2 and MikeHoncho like this.