1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins are one of the teams on Cowher's wish list

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Ronnie Bass, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Frayser

Frayser Barstool Philosopher

Dec 4, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    If you're Ross, you have to be thinking of what you can do to get butts in the seat next year. You already spent big in free agency this past offseason. Replacing Dan Henning, while what is most needed, is not going to win back that many fans. But firing Sparano and bringing in Cowher will rejuvenate the local buzz. No doubt about it.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  2. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    Looks like the same old garish necktie in a shiny box. :P

Garryowen likes this.
  3. godolphins

godolphins New Member

Apr 8, 2010
    I'm okay with bringing in Cowher as long as we keep Sparano as the head cheerleader.

4. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Call Jim Harbaugh. If he isn't interested, bring in Cowher. Have to consider Dan Reeves as well, who wants back into coaching or as a GM job. Hell, any random fan could do a better job than Sparano and Henning.

Anonymous likes this.
  5. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    And Cowher is one of the coaches on my wish list.

6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I do not want Cower. Chances are he would be Jimmy Johnson Part 2. Not too many coaches take a 2nd team to the superbowl

Tin Indian and Garryowen like this.
  7. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    From a business perspective, sure. Listen to the guy at Burger King dropping the fries after a loss. He'll tell you what needs to happen.

8. Garryowen

Garryowen New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Exactly.

9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    HC:Cowher?
    OC:Kubiak?
    DC:Nolan

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  10. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Dan Reeves has been to 4 different Superbowls with 2 different teams, as well as 2 more Superbowls as a player. He wants back into the NFL as a coach or GM. I'd consider him.

Ronnie Bass likes this.
  11. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I'm in.

12. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Cowher coached the Steelers for 15 seasons from 1992-2006. He had a 149-90-1 record. His Steelers won two AFC titles and were Super Bowl Champions in 2005.

Enough said. Dolphins haven't won an AFC title since 1985. And unlike Parcells, Cowher won something during the modern era.

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
  14. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    If Bill Cowher did become available, I say hire him in a New York minute!!! I'm like others, I don't hold ill will towards Sparano. I do think he's a good coach. My biggest problem has been Dan Henning. Today, it was noted in Yahoo sports that we scored only our 6th rushing TD of the season. Well, when you don't run the ball at all....DUH!!

Dan Henning is our team's main problem. His offense is mediocre at best and with a WR like Brandon Marshall, our offense doesn't fit his big play ability. And when you have an OC who believes in the short pass, Ricky and Ronnie are no longer a threat. Where this fault lies on Sparano, he's not putting his boot up Henning's *** to change it. Now if Sparano petitions...begs...pleads for a new OC in the off season, throws Henning under the bus...then maybe...MAYBE...give Sparano another year and another chance, but if he doesn't...

Bill Cowher...please bring the steel curtain and a powerful running game to Miami please.

15. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Don't risk Cowher going somewhere else. Best of luck to Tony Sparano. Nothing against him personally but I'd like to see the Dolphins matter sometime in the next decade.

Anonymous likes this.
  16. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    The one thing about Sparano though that you wonder is that do you immediately drop a coach that has proven that he's capable of holding a tight ship, low penalties, focused in shape players, accountability from his players etc etc...

Take a step back and you realize perhaps what the man still needs most is an OC still. Ireland is a good GM, the best the team has had probably in a very long time. Nolan is arguably a top 3 DC and Sparano does not get involved questioning the defense with a strong-minded DC there. If he had an OC like that how would be. What I think Sparano needs isn't so much to be fired as he needs a guy who can take the reigns as an OC.

Just look at how capable Mike Martz is an OC. Lovie Smith has almost zero control over him and that's fine. He runs that ship well. Perhaps Gary Kubiak, Brad Childress, or most likely Norv Turner would be guys that could turn around this team.

Moves and gilv13 like this.
  17. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Would Sparano be an ultimatum fire for Ireland from Ross?

I'm not so sure Ireland would comply, as I see them bound at the hip.

As such, my main interest for keeping Sparano, is to avoid yet another house cleaning.

While I believe Sparano deserves another season at the helm IF,

he promptly in replaces Henning, I think Cowher would be an upgrade at HC,

but not one worthy of a price to lose Ireland, or Nolan in an exchange.

18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    We wouldn't need a house cleaning, just some new offensive coaches. We are good at many positions. I think Cowher could at the very least make the playoffs with what we have plus a draft and offseason.

padre31 likes this.
  19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Oh sure, people are not looking at the "who" that Cowher is claimed to be interested in:

Texans:

Qb/DE/Wr

Each team he is rumored about has solid pieces, unlike the Dolphins had in 07, basically he is vulturing a pretty much assembled team not offering to rebuild from scratch.

Moves likes this.
  20. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I have to admit that I am surprised that the Carolina Panthers are not on his wish list. He does live in North Carolina now and when he retired from the Steelers. He was very clear about the fact he really wanted to move to North Carolina. Perhaps he is looking for a more high profile job and that is why he looking at Houston, New York, and Miami. It still wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't end up in Carolina.
    A few weeks ago there was a report that Ross is really high on Gruden. I think this would be a definite positive from an offensive point of view. I am just not that sure how it would affect the defensive side of the ball. If Gruden could keep Nolan as the defensive coordinator. I could live with Gruden as the head coach. If Nolan had no interest in coaching the defense under Gruden. I don't know if Gruden would make the positive impact Ross seems to think he would. Personally if Ross could not sign Cowher as the next coach. I would love to see him hire Jim Harbaugh. I think Harbaugh would be an excellent head coach in the NFL.

21. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    The two biggest problems on this team are Dan Henning and Chad Henne. They have to be replaced, if it takes Coach Sparano down too, so be it. I cannot watch what they call offense anymore, it is absoloutely pathetic. This offense barely puts up more points than Camerons (17.3 to 16.7). I am in the minority and still believe in Sparano but I am sick of watching this team wallow in mediocrity.

22. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Food for thought. How was Norv as the OC during the 2002-2003 seasons here. From what I remember he did a nice job considering who was the QB, the personnel available on the OL and what not. I just really think Dan Henning is that incompetent. If he understood that he was under fire, the players who still like him may rally as they have so far.

Point is it's Henne's poor play and Henning's poor play calls that are the problem. When you give the defense a new DC and the personnel you see results. Why would you think the same won't happen on offense. The more control Ireland is the better in my opinion. He makes mistakes, but he's improving, he's consistently added talent to this time every year. Two more years of that? Could be something special.

23. Marco

Marco Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    Northern California
    Then you also have to worry about the new guy wheeling and dealing some of those assembled parts away for reasons of "identity" or the dreaded "we're close".

24. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    The Miami Heat are Miami's top team now, and Dolphins fans aren't going to have much hope if Henne and Sparano are both back next year. Ross has to compete with the Heat, bringing in Cowher would re-energize the base. However, if it's not Cowher, then it's pointless to get rid of Sparano. Henne is another story, he has to go or become a backup.

25. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    My question would be, would Nolan be willing to stay if Cowher is named HC? because I really really really love what he has done with our D.

26. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Based on today's pathetic performance, I've concluded Sparano & Company have to be replaced if the Dolphins are ever going to ascend to ranks of the elite. Never seen a coach that plays so hard for a FG, and has such terrible clock management skills. So, if I'm Ross, and Cowher is at all interested, I would give him whatever he wants to get him on board as HC. IMHO, it's time to clean house...again.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  27. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Maybe. Depends on if he wants to be a head coach again. If he does then he probably leaves after not being chosen as Sparano's replacement.

28. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    [​IMG]

Moves likes this.
  29. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Cowher is interesting in coaching the Dolphins!

ESPN is reporting that Cowher is interesting in coaching again and the teams he is interesting in coaching is Giants, Dolphins and Texans. in that order

30. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
  31. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    very interesting...

32. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Cowher is really the only guy I'd take over Sparano. Well, Gruden also. If the report is true and the Giants stick with Coughlin it's going to be almost a guarantee Cowher will be our next coach. You know Ross would be all over it. It would immediately spark a ton of interest back into the franchise and that's what Ross is looking for.

33. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    Why, oh why, would Bill Cowher want to come to Miami? We have the worst DB in the league, our QB throws behind everyone and can't read a defense, our RB's don't have break away speed and our OL has forgotten how to run block. It is looking more and more like we just exist in the AFC East for everyone to beat up on because we sure as hell aren't competition for anyone. The Patsies have Spygate ; The Jets have Tripgate ; The Bills have the 12th man ; and we have nothing. I say we need to start cheating. It seems to work for everyone else. We just got beat by a 2-10 team on our own turf! ! ! If I were Cowher, I'd run like hell.

34. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Tough situation. If Ross gets rid of Sparano - what does that do with the rest of the regime? Does he clean house? And, if he does send TS away would he be guaranteed that Cowher would sign with Miami?

A scenario I would love if Cowher fell through would be for Houston to fire Kubiak and for the Dolphins to pay him a ton to be the OC - and raise Nolan's salary. I'd pay them the most of any coordinators in the league. All the HC would have to do is not get in their way. Though not anywhere near the same category, that group of Nolan as DC and Kubiak as OC would remind me of the 50's Giants: Lombardi at OC and Landry at DC.

Then all they would need is a QB! ;)

35. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Jimmy Johnson II. Thanks, but no thanks.

Besides, in all honesty, Sparano already provides most of what Cowher brings to the table. Not all, but most. They have similar concepts of the ideal football team, they both place importance on preparation and how/whether players perform in practice, and both prefer to win through exploiting mismatches rather than outright better talent.

I also don’t believe that a coach who won a Super Bowl, then went to another team, has ever made it back to or won the Super Bowl on that new team. Maybe it’s happened once or twice, but I can’t think of an instance. That’s a pretty strong argument on its face for avoiding a retread like Cowher, IMO. He can have that Giants job, it’s tailor-made for him. The Dolphins need someone different.

I’d really like to hire Jim Harbaugh. I’d also give serious interviews to Mike Nolan, Russ Grimm, Hue Jackson, and Leslie Frazier (if available). This is assuming that Sparano is fired. I’m willing to give him 2011 as long as he brings in a new offensive coordinator AND a new QB coach. Package deal.

36. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Who is this worst DB in the league you speak of? Surely not someone on our roster.

37. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    They need Tom Coughlin...

All jokes aside I like the fact Miami's prepared every single week mentally and physically. No team since the better Shula days was like this one in the lack of penalties, physical regimen, and just overall enthusiasm. Beyond that they suck at actually playing the game (on offense) and Sparano should stay out of that. His Xs and Os and clock management are ****, but there are guys that can solve that. I'm almost sure that with the Jets seemingly alive again, San Diego will miss the playoffs. Norv Turner's version of the Air Coryell has been tested and proven throughout the ages again and again and again. He's helped numerous quarterbacks have career years. I think he's the guy.

Problem with Cowher is that he himself is not a genius Xs and Os coach by any measure, not at all in fact. He's a motivator, a disciplined guy. You have a point Desides no doubt. What Tony needs to do is to give a guy that has that excellent balance of run-pass the job. Turner's the guy for the job if he becomes available.

Desides likes this.
  38. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Thing is, we already had Norv Turner once. His one year wasn’t quite the glitter and glamor that some would make it seem. I also don’t see how Turner gets fired, but anything can happen.

39. Dolphins1Beatles

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I do wonder if a new OC will change the offense like Nolan did with the defense. Nolan fell into the Dolphins laps though, whose to say that will happen again? Kubiak would probably make a good OC with Nolan and Sparano.

I do like Sparano, but I have a fear that if the Dolphins let Cowher go someplace else it will come back to haunt us like Drew Brees and all the other mistakes. I was happy when the Saints won, but of course thought about what could've happened in Miami. Don't want the same to happen again.

TheMageGandalf likes this.
  40. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    By the way, isn't Cowher one of those "wants full control" types? I really like what Ireland has done as far as bringing in talent so I'd hope he'd still be here.