1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins@Arizona notes and opinion

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    GOD ****ING DAMN IT.

Ryan Tannehill played a really good game today. He's got work to do still, but god-damn is the upside clearly there. He's got command of the offense beyond someone simply knowing the offense. There's a lot of guys who change teams and should pretty much know an offense, and there's a lot of guys who have been in an offense for more years than Tannehill have been in Sherman's who don't do as much or as well as what he's been doing. He's good under pressure, he's not shy about going down the field, and his interceptions generally aren't egregious mistakes. He's cosmetically looking worse than he actually is in terms of TD:INT ratio. He's gotten bailed out a couple times(Adrian Peterson not coming down with possession), but he's had some pretty rough luck too with a lot of things.

Someone needs to pull Reggie Bush aside and tell him he doesn't need to win the game single-handedly. He hurt the team today by trying to do too much and taking dumb losses. He wants to be the man, he wants to prove he can lead the league, but part of that is knowing when to take what is given.

Jorvorskie Lane had a pretty damn good game with a huge asterisk on it. Him blowing the block on Washington when the offense looked like it was going to seal the game is pretty horrifying. But he might be the best all-around complete fullback in the league right now, and he's pretty nasty on special teams right now.

It's only a quarter of the way through the season, but it's worth mentioning Brian Hartline is on pace for 1812 receiving yards and Davone Bess is on pace for 1188. If you still think that they are #3 and #4 wide receivers, you've seriously got to re-evaluate your life and your exposure to environmental toxins. They're legit starters.

It's pretty much impossible not to cut Legedu Naanee at this point. I understand the facination with him as a personnel guy up to a certain point but we pasted it like a week or two ago. Sign Jabar Gaffney please.

I'd really like to see Anthony Fasano used further down the field than he is. He's getting involved almost entirely on shorter stuff, when he's proven last year he can challenge up field, and he's been "on" this season.

The blocking scheme had a pretty solid game all things considered. Points off for the offense not having Darnell Dockett, but they got tested and I think they won. Reggie Bush is responsible for a lot of the run game issues this week- There was holes he didn't see on a lot of these plays, and a couple where he tried to just be the man on plays he should have took what was given to him.

I understand the need for Jake Long to cut-block in pass protection sometimes on quick passes with a QB who has a tendency to have batted passes, but he ain't very good at it. That's not to suggest he's not playing up to his standards. People going off of one or two negative plays the announcers are pointing out are not getting an accurate assessment.

Kevin Coyle's defensive line substitutions have started going from an oddity to problematic. I've been very happy with him other than this. There's too many times where he's subbing out more than one, or all of Wake/Starks/Odrick at once for Shelby/Soliai/Vernon/Randall. Most coaches seem to go by on a case-by-case basis, a lot of our pressure issues have been running with what is essentially a second team DL.

Kevin Burnett and Karlos Dansby are playing well, but they're asking a whole lot from them in coverage and they're going to get burned sometimes if you're having them drop that deep from showing blitz in the A-gaps that frequently. It's been a big part of the game-plan, but I'm not sure how tenable it is when we start facing quality tight ends.

Koa Misi is pretty good ya'll.

People like to **** on the defensive backfield, but it's a give-and-take situation. They gave up big plays, and they're playing aggressively, and it's absolutely give-and-take. Sean Smith gave up big plays, and arguably lost the game on that 4th down touchdown, but he also had two interceptions and 4 passes defended. Last week Richard Marshall gave up 80 yards to Santonio Holmes, but he also had an interception and three passes defended. The defensive backs are living and dying on being aggressive.

I'm not sure how to feel about Dan Carpenter. He missed another kick, but that seems secondary all things considered.

2. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    Boy you got that right.

IMO Reggie Bush might very well have been the main reason this team scored only 21 points despite passing the ball so well. Just like a sack usually is, he was a drive-stopper.

3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Basically, Thill's game is a classic example of why stats are overrated.

I thought the team played well enough, then I thought a lack of depth caught us in the end, especially on the Cardinals last drive in regulation, DL was gassed, perhaps should have used a TO to allow them to catch a breather. If one thinks about it we saved a TO, did not return the kick off, then took a knee in the endzone.

That was just about pointless.

shula_guy likes this.
  4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He also had a huge run on their long TD drive when they were backed up, that had Naanee been able to stay on his block, or even get in the guys way, Bush may have scored on. He made some mistakes when trying to do too much, but let's not go overboard.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I don't think the secondary is as bad as people say. Especially Marshall. He gave up that big play to Roberts but that was more on Clemons than Marshall.

We definitely need an upgrade at safety, though.

6. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    You could of really stopped after the first sentence and most of us would be in complete agreement.

gilv13, Boik14 and Silverphin like this.
  7. shouright

shouright Banned

Dec 13, 2007
    If you lose 10 yards on a run, the drive is probably going to end. He's got to learn when he can't do it all and take whatever is there.

8. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I saw that too but at this point I don't even expect Naanee to block properly.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  9. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    That reminds me. I think Thigpen is pretty bad right now. He may have been told to not run that kick out, but if not, that was pretty stupid. He has had a couple of nice returns this year (obviously including the TD), but he has been pretty bad more often than not. He's taken off out of the endzone when he doesn't have a lane, and more importantly was unable to move up and field multiple punts today. That has to be the reason they put Bess in there later on.

10. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I don't know man... When I watched the game it didn't seem like he was trying to do too much, it seemed like he was trying to avoid "hard contact" he didn't want to take any big hits. I haven't seen him play like that previously so I have to think the injury was on his mind.

11. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Agreed. But I wouldn't hang the fact that they were only able to score 21 points despite their numbers on him.

12. WhiteIbanez

WhiteIbanez Megamediocremaniacal

Aug 10, 2012
    I know you have the swagger of a heavy weight but to limit the success of a rookie QB in his 4th NFL game is just a head scratcher.
    At one point in the game you were more interested in Wake's sack count than you were about winning the football game. Plus you blame Carp missing a FG. Didn't he make a big stop on a kickoff that could have won the game for the Cards.
    If anyone cared more about the stat sheet today it would have been you man. Except where it applies to the young QB.
    How convenient.

13. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    His rules don't apply to guys who played in the CFL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Maybe some of it was the injury, but he made some pretty bad decisions at times. He missed some clear cutback lanes in order to continue pressing the front-side, and then compounded issues by trying to take bad angles trying to outrun the defense to the corner or just completely reverse field.

He can get away with that sometimes, probably even more than most backs, but he's got to have better situational awareness.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He was trying to do waaaay too much east and west garbage bc he didn't want to just take the 2-3 yards in front of him.

Saw that soooo many times today.

16. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    1 TD between the two of them is a stat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Ozzy, CaribPhin, ssmiami and 3 others like this.
  17. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I think i might get slammed for this, but IMO Heartline and Bess are still 3rd type WRs. Two very good 3rd types, but neither has the qualities to be a 1 or a 2.

Both offer little in the redzone, and both are less than ideal deep threats.

Also, IMO again, they are both getting a very huge boost to their stats by the fact that this offense, and Tannehill play incredibly to their strengths. And also, getting a huge boost by the fact that they are the only 2 competent receivers in this team.

If we can find a stud in the draft, and a solid 2 in Free Agency, those 4 would make a formidable receiving corp.

Ozzy, CaribPhin, fin13 and 5 others like this.
  18. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    This ranks up as one of the most painful and saddening losses in Dolphins history for me. Yes I'm including the Pats game in 2002. It almost feels like a Marino shoot out loss. At the end of the day we have the QB we've been waiting for since Marino . All the great ones go through pain. This one just hurts so bad. Pitiful how our D has folded when we needed them for decades now. And it hurts to see Tanny leave his heart out on the field and lose.... O line got him blasted on the two big plays that gave the Cards a chance, our D did the rest. I'm going to bed I'm fully spent

19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I noticed that too. He just let Peterson go. It was almost as frustrating as his fumble.

Ozzy likes this.
  20. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    to be fair I dont think I have seen Bess even targeted in the red zone - tanny is to busy forcing the ball to hartline down there

21. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is one of those things we cannot know, I asked the Finsiders host if he had asked Philbin why he alternated Thigpen and Bess on punts, he said he hadn't but thought it a good question.

AFAIK, Bess handled all of the punt returns, Thigpen had 2 returns total, the other 2 were touchbacks.

22. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I agree about Thigpen. There were several punts he should have fielded today and didn't... very questionable decision making.

Bpk likes this.
  23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Thigpen did not return any punts did he?

24. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    I thought he did. Let me check... I definitely remember several times where our PR let the ball bounce or didn't fair catch in very questionable situations.

Bpk likes this.
  25. finfaninilinois

finfaninilinois Active Member

Nov 29, 2009
    I wouldnt say both - Hartline for sure he has been targeted 48 times already that is by far the most he has ever been targeted - bess on the other hand has 32 targets so far this season which is about normal for him.

In my opinion he is just better this year his yacs are up as well as ypc - those stats are because of him not the qb

26. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Volume stats are meaningless. The information you're citing is not in any way authoritative about the quality of a receiver.

Hartline and Bess can rack up 400 yards between them per game if they want. That doesn't mean they're the answer.

27. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    Thiggy & Bess both returned punts today.

I *think* these were the punts Thigpen could have fielded.

2nd q: 4th and 14 at ARI 27 D.Zastudil punts 68 yards to MIA 5, Center-M.Leach, downed by ARZ-M.Adams.

3rd q: 4th and 3 at ARI 10 D.Zastudil punts 56 yards to MIA 34, Center-M.Leach, downed by ARZ-J.Bethel.
    This one could have been fielded closer to midfield if I recall

28. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Do not underestimate the missed Carpenter FG
    No wind, no excuses and he hooks it. If he hits it we are up 16-0 and the Cards start at the 20. He shanks it again, changed field position and the momentum of the game shifted as the scored on that possession and finally had some life in them

Ozzy, bigbry and Mcduffie81 like this.
  29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If one of them was named Brandon Marshall you might not have the same tone.

30. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What exactly is the question at that point, then?

"Whose combine measurable/Fantasy Football projections give Desides a boner?"

Pandarilla likes this.
  31. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It should be. The Dolphins are doing well in the red zone, and while Bess will probably not ever be that great of a redzone guy Hartline has pretty much everything you want.

32. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

2x that Thigpen let the ball hit and roll that probably cost us a total of 25 yards at least, combined.

sports24/7, Mcduffie81 and ToddPhin like this.
  33. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    At a certain point I don't really know what Brian Hartline needs to do to be recognized as a deep threat other than black-face and have someone forge combine results saying he ran a .05 of a second faster than he did one day four years ago.

34. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    I disagree there. IMO neither will ever be a good redzone threat. Most of Heartlines yards are coming from comeback or sideline routes/throws. Those are good for moving the chains, but are not gonna cut it in the redzone, or against a pro-bowl caliber cover corner. Neither is the Alpha WR the team needs.

IMO, and ive said this a few times today, so forgive me if people are tired of me saying it, they are both 3rd type WRs, very very good ones mind you, but 3rd WR material nonetheless.

ssmiami likes this.
  35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Was doing coursework and did not really pay that much attention tbh.

As for me, I tend to be a bit more optimistic now then I was heading into this one.

We can now generate explosive plays on offense, it is only a matter of time until we start scoring 4 and 5 td's per game, not bad even for "2nd and 3rd type Wr's".

Toss in explosive running backs and we finally have some pieces to work with now.

36. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Yes it does

37. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    He's just not fast enough for deep threat. He might beat someone with a shifty move once a while. Or find himself open after busted coverage. But he will not do that consistently.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

IMO what you said is meaningless. Might as well say they are both blue tardis.

They are both good quality receivers. They are not the problem. The problem is everyone but them. Fasano is OK

39. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    :lol: are you serious, we really use plays that play to the strength of our own players ?

CWBIII likes this.
  40. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Went for over 250 yds today, at some people one would think people would recognize Bline is really good Wr.

So is Bess, now we must find a 3rd receiving option.