1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins@Bills, or stop blaming every ****ing thing but Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Ryan Tannehill is not playing good. It's not an indictment against his selection, I'm not saying that he is a bust but right now Ryan Tannehill is a major factor in this offenses struggles, and it's not the players around him. He has clearly regressed. It's not even the interceptions, which I think are overstated, it's the fact we can't put together coherent, consistent drives. He's been very conservative with the ball early on, and not consistent enough to make that work. Then this week when we got down he starts heaving the ball down the field and making crap decisions. He's not as accurate, and he's leading defenders to the ball, and his pocket presence has gotten worse.

It's not the OL, it's not the receivers, it's not the lack of running game. Those guys are all playing pretty close to the way they have the entire season.

Reggie Bush is going to be very difficult to resign. He's not reliable enough to be a feature back, but someone is likely to get gigged up about the two 4-5 games stretches he's gone out and overpay for him.

Daniel Thomas isn't very good, but he's at least going straight ahead when it is reasonable to do so, and at this point it's enough.

The wide receivers had pretty bad games a piece. Both of them had some nice, smart plays, but they dropped too many passes, and Hartline's offensive pass interference was pretty killer.

The run blocking was again awful. The interior got beat up by Williams and Dareus. Teams seem to have pretty well figured out how to shut down Reggie Bush. Front-side penetration on an off-tackle play overwhelmingly means dropping him for a loss, and he's going to try to take inside/man blocked plays outside anyway so funnel them to the inside.

Jonathan Martin had a rough start to the game with Mario Williams, but the pass protection was generally pretty good. Tannehill's pocket presence didn't help matters. At the end of the game they were basically giving up little pressure with empty backfield plays.

People are going to take Jake Long getting blown up on a pull as evidence he had a bad game when overall, when overall he was pretty good. His play tonight is pretty much a microcosm of the season(outside of Indy). He'll have a play or two where he seems to lose focus or his technique goes to **** and it's hideous and is pointed out, but it's not at all indicative of the game he played.

I wonder what the hell happened to Nate Garner. He looked so promising early in his career. He's also got a really ****ing strangely shaped body.

The tackling has gotten so bad defensively its obscene. They've had to have given up loads of yards after initial contact the last couple weeks.
    I'm really tired of seeing penetration or pressure on a quarterback not finished and someone run free for a gain regardless.

Referees are really allowing Cameron Wake to be held to almost a criminal amount, and I really can't understand why. This is like the third week in a row he's been absolutely mugged.

Karlos Dansby has played well this season, and the coverage schemes really fit what he does well to a "t", but he needs to catch the ****ing ball. He's had a whole lot of opportunities this season where he's broken on a pass and gotten his hands on it and not come up with the ball.

Koa Misi has fallen off quite a bit from his early season. He's not playing awfully, but early on this season he was great and recently he's been invisible.

Nolan Carroll could not stop stepping on his own dick.

It's hard to reconcile the frustrating play of the cornerbacks the last two weeks with the fact that they've given up 122 and 168 passing yards in back to back weeks. The name of the game for the first half of the season was bend but not break, teams would wrack up a bunch of yardage but the defensive backs would make plays. Now they're not giving up any yardage, but they can't stop it when it counts.

Reshad Jones is playing really ****ing good. He missed a tackle early on, but the guy is a legitimate Pro Bowl quality safety at this point. He had 14 tackles, and those tackles weren't really down the field mop-ups. The guy had a load of stops, and then a nice fumble.

Nice to see Marcus Thigpen break one. Special teams really seems to have fallen off the last couple weeks as well, and if I see another ****ing block in the back Imma stroke out.

2. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    People can't - or won't - blame Tannehill because he is this franchise's savior right now.
    And if we whiffed on him this franchise has nothing to be excited about.

muscle979 and shouright like this.
  3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I don't see how you can say it's not the OL and to a lesser degree the WRs as well.

Tannehill hasn't been great the last few weeks but he's running for his life and getting way too many passes dropped.

That and Reggie is still playing like a *****.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  4. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    it really seems like the injury has affected Tannehill. It's gotten into his head. He's been getting hit and he's shying away from making the strong plays down field. Hanging in there. Between his injury and Reggie's injury affecting what he did, the offense has really been sent into a tail spin.

And then there's Jared Odrick... He was supposed to be fairly decent against the run... we knew he had the limitations as a pass rusher. I thought he had a great motor coming out of Penn State. But he has seemingly bulked up to the point that he has lost any quickness/chase down ability. He looks like he's playing at 350 pounds when he's probably around 305. but tonight he couldn't even stop the run to his side. TIGHT ENDS were setting the edge on him. A TIGHT END!!!! He is seemingly better fit for a 34 front with an outside linebacker covering him... than a 43 end where he is the open end, last line of defense on the outside. He can't set the edge... he can't edge rush. He's sadly looking like a major bust of a pick and that goes directly at Ireland. Final straw in my book. It just has to be.

5. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    It's all that.
    And yet you still love Ireland.
    That's what I don't get.

oakelmpine and Aquafin like this.
  6. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agreed his play has regressed but if you think the OL hasnt had something to do with it and the lack of weapons havent had something to do with it you are sadly mistaken. Aside from Pouncey and Jerry the line has pretty much been atrocious for 3 weeks running now. Martin needs the weight room, Incognito Id save specifically for Jet games cause he seems to get up for them, and Long needs to be franchised and traded cause he is done as an elite Tackle. I mean Jake is not even good right now, let alone elite. Jake had allowed 3 sacks 6 hits and 6 hurries coming in to this game and it felt like he allowed that tonight.

Da 'Fins, FinNasty, The Rev and 4 others like this.
  7. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Last week per PFF, there was 9 pass rush-related "plays" given up by the offensive line out of 40 drop-backs. 6 of those plays came from Jonathan Martin, a guy Tannehill should pretty well know is not playing well, and whose pressure he should be able to sense.

I don't know that this week serves as any better a mitigating factor. Jonathan Martin got blown up several times, but I'm not sure there was much pressure elsewhere, or that overall it was too frequent.

GMJohnson likes this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And all that isn't directly Ireland's fault, which you don't get.

I'll gladly await to hear how Bush who was once running with authority but now turned back to a daisy is Ireland's fault.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    What about Jake Long?

Getting owned by Merriman can't be a good sign.

pumpdogs, oakelmpine and dolfan22 like this.
  10. dolfan32323

dolfan32323 ty xphinfanx

Nov 27, 2007
    Washington DC
    There isn't enough blame to go around for why this team is ****ting the bed. It starts in the FO and trickles down to the majority of the players on the field. Maybe next week we can just send out a white flag at kickoff and spare us the agony of another lackluster pathetic performance.

11. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    And nobody loooves Ireland.

You're 39, stop talking like a 12 year-old girl.

12. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Our offensive line is absolutely a problem. I don't know what the hell happened but we can't run for **** right now. This is the 3rd straight game I thought our running game would be stellar and it's like the defenses have 20 guys at the line of scrimmage.

13. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Long didn't come even close to allowing that. He gave up minimal pressure, you're letting him getting blown up by Merriman(On a play having nothing to do with pass protection) characterize your views. He may end up being credited with allowing a sack on a play where his defender didn't actually achieve any pressure, but other than that there really was not much.

MrClean likes this.
  14. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Tannehill seems incapable of bringing the team back from behind at the end of games.

15. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Ireland: "we have a bunch of 4's, 5's, and 6's."

He even ****ed up that evaluation.

Hartline and Bess are clear cut 2's and 3's.

finfansince72 likes this.
  16. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I despise the conservative approach they take with Tannehill, it's as if they don't want him to look bad but he won't grow throwing 5 yd outs on 3rd and 10's.

OL was atrocious, at this point they should probably bench some folks or just accept this is the process.

I can handle the losses, and we are in for a rough patch of them what I'd prefer to see is losing with young guys with upside over vets who don't make plays.

P h i N s A N i T y and firedan like this.
  17. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I respectfully disagree with this. All 3 have been abysmal the last 3 weeks. Not sure if it is a coaching issue, or a flat our personal issue, i am not convinced yet, but something's not right there. I personally think it's the latter.

18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Notice that when he went down the field, the offense moved the ball, when they take the Hennesque approach we got shut down rather easily.

As for Ireland, he did land Thigpen, as usual with him it is a mixed bag, as good as Thigpen can be, Egnew/Miller's non factorness is a check against him.

19. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Figure of speech bro. Relax. I'll call you guys supporters for now on if that makes you feel better.
    The point is we continue to have holes that don't get fixed, while creating new ones. I don't understand why you want to continue to give Ireland a pass.

oakelmpine likes this.
  20. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wasn't Reggie Bush Tony Sparano's "pet" acquisition? IIRC he was. That was after that "Dolphins Roundtable" where Sparano had some more control over personnel come his way after Harbaugh-gate.

21. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Have to admit the wife asked me why they don't play Matt Moore.

22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol How about you look at it like a grown up and realize it's not black/white.

I'm a realist. I like some of what Ireland's done and hate some of his other moves.

That being said I'm not going to cry about it like a ***** when things go bad either way.

Dolphin Don likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    correct. it all starts up front... all of it. offense and defense. and right now, both sides of the ball are getting their asses handed to them. plain and simple. Not rocket science. Now our defensive line did play better as the game went on tonight... I'll give them that. They did stop the Bills in the second half when they needed to. I think they pitched a shutout in the second half if I'm not mistaken. But offensively... and then we get in third and long... just like the last few years, we have NO shot at converting. And Tannehill appears to be smarter than Henne in this regard in that he KNOWS we can't convert those. So he takes the 8 yard run up the middle against a three man rush. There's no way five of our offensive guys are going to beat EIGHT of their defensive guys for a 14 yard completion in the time it takes our offensive line to protect him. Why bother?

dolfan32323, dolfan22 and Boik14 like this.
  24. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    You calling me a *****?

25. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    your wife thinks he's cute too eh?

26. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's not a great sign, but you've also got to identify it as what it is.

He had ****ty technique on an open-field block when the defender had a head of steam, but otherwise he had a good game. That one play, as embarrassing as it looked on TV doesn't characterize the rest of his game.

He's been doing that all season long. He's had one or two plays a game where he had ****ty technique or made a mental error and gets embarrassed, but at very worst has a solid game. I can speculate on why that might be, but I think the most pertinent issue is you're not getting at all an accurate view of how he's playing based on that single play.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    B/c THill will be here in 2013-2020 hopefully, it's a process and this is sort of to be expected.

dolfan22 and MAFishFan like this.
  28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Have you been crying?

Dolphin Don likes this.
  29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Sparano did lobby for a guy like Jahvid Best, but I think it's more likely Ireland fulfilled his desire in his own way, rather than Sparano had the power to trade draft picks for guys under multiple-year contracts. I think it's most likely Colombo was his decision.

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Today it was more of an isolated incident but he's still been beaten badly quite often this season.

Still a terrible sign for the future when he and almost the entire rest of the OL is looking very rough. Richie is looking worse and worse as well.

31. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    it's okay to expect perfection from your highest paid player.

oakelmpine and dolfan22 like this.
  32. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im not letting 1 play cloud my views at all. He was getting wrecked all game. Martin had his problems too but he gave up at least 1 sack and a handful of pressures. He was atrocious in the run game which is quite honestly the biggest concern because thats the one things hes always been great at....need a yard or two go behind Jake for it. hes not getting that push. Sell high while theres still some value there.

33. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I think Tannehill did a good job tonight of moving in the pocket. But he has been much less accurate since injuring his knee.

34. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    You are absolutely right. Players who do not play good is not Irish's fault. Right.

On another note, Its like I woke up in a nightmare. Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson, after that 4 game hiatus from reality, are back. Our linebackers STINK. If I have to see Dansby botch more interceptions, and whiff in the freaking hole on gimme-tackles.. Misi and Burnett are nowhere. No one can cause a turnover. No one can hold on to the easiest, gimme turnovers. Cam Wake is the only one hustling every down, making plays. Our defense has grown so weak, and our offense is completely impotent. 10 points against the TITANS and BILLS? Are you KIDDING ME?

The o-line sucks, the RBs suck. Tannehill. Yeah he is a rookie, and his rookie season is going down like Marck Sanchez's...minus the conference championship run. 6 TDs in 10 games.

What a soft team.

35. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    There's no crying in football.

36. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well, that one certainly was...and now I need stiff drink to get to sleep tonight. I guess I can see that with the Jahvid Best thing. I do remember Ireland was rumored to have pretty heavily scouted/was interested in C.J. Spiller. I wonder what would've happened had Spiller gotten past Buffalo in that draft.

37. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Reshad Jones was better than any other player on the field tonight.

first&goal and pumpdogs like this.
  38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007

The problem I have with Tannehill is that he isn't running for his life. He is standing for his life. Slowly stepping for his life. I would be so much happier with him if he was running for his life.

39. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Outside of about 3 bad miss tackles, Reshad played really tough. Held his own in that goalline pass too. He should be a permanent part of that defense. Is usually a liability in coverage tho.

40. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He did improve, however there were a few times when he could have ran and got a first down or at least had a chance for a first down.