Dolphins@Bills, or stop blaming every ****ing thing but Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Nov 16, 2012.

1. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah, he played well. Too bad he missed a few tackles (no sarcasm), he would've had a really damn good night. He's come a long way from where he was the previous two years. I've said it before, but I would really like him teamed up with Dashon Goldson next year. I think that'd be an ideal tandem.

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    a D1 wide reciever...and he wont take off and run for easy first downs. I don;t get it, when Fitzpatty and Locker are torching us on the run. Beyond frustrating that all season, this kid refuses to use his wheels.

pumpdogs and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  3. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Wouldn't surprise me lol.

4. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Here's Jake Long's pass protection stats on PFF:

@HST: 0 sacks, pressures, hurries
    OAK: 1 sack, 1 hit
    NYJ: 1 hurry
    @ARI: 1 sack
    @CIN: 1 hit 1 hurry
    SL: 1 hurry
    @NYJ: 1 hit
    @IND: 1 sack, 3 hurries, 2 hits
    Ten: 1 hit

Pretty much every game besides the Colts game has been like this one. He'll have a good game, but he'll give up dumb, fluky ****.

Like in the Raiders game he gave up back to back pressures to Matt freaking Shaunessy, but nothing else the entire game. Or he'll throw a crappy cut-block his defender is barely slowed down by and Tannehill takes a sack vs. the Cardinals. Or there will be a problem with the protection call and someone on that side gives up a pressure or sack.

slickj101 likes this.
  5. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Right now the only guys in the secondary worth a damn are Sean Smith and Reshad Jones. Maybe Jimmy Wilson too but everyone else has been pretty bad.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I think Nolan Carrol was playing well up until this game.

The secondary hasn't been fantastic recently but it hasn't been bad, either.

Hiruma78 likes this.
  7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He's just not engaging any playmaking ability when protection breaks down..That's a pretty big thing at this point..I need to see some peripheral sense of pressure and the pocket..

He played a good game from the pocket against the colts, but it seems he's not comfortable and is only using parts of his skillset..

Martin has not changed my opinion since the draft.

Rj is a keeper, dude has speed, and is our best tackler.

We are a very bad tackling and pursuing football team...something Philbin directly said he wants in a team.

We must add feature back to the list..need to see what Miller has to offer now.

I saw plays where Reggie wasn't about pressing or hitting the hole with authority nor with an aggressive nature..

The offense is getting squeezed, no one needs a double team if you have pretty good corners. Tough to play 9 on 9 when it takes out both receivers.

Looks like this particular team has not bought into their coach..

8. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ..... and made almost 1 dimensional.

9. Aquafin

Aquafin New Member

Jun 16, 2011
    the poor house

i cant really buy into that bess and hartline are #2 and 3 . defenses surely dont fear our offense in either the passing or running game.

we really need a #1 and #2 wr and we need two tightends and use a two tightend set .

I still think we should have kept Ronnie because none of our backs really have the wow factor.

10. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Me and you know this but when the wife watches me have fits trying to enjoy the games she thinks winning right now would be a good thing.

11. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

At least elite play , and Long has not remotely sniffed that for an extended time. Not even close to dominant.

12. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Chris Clemons has been pretty good too. No one likes him because he's not the kind of centerfielder/ball hawk everyone wants, but he's played solidly.

Both Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson have been up and down. They've gotten their asses kicked, but they've also had quite good games, and think that's not inappropriate for 2nd and 3rd year late round DBs.

13. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Seems to me the missed TD pass to Clay or either of the 2 interceptions in the final two minutes was do to pressure. At least not pressure from the Bills.

What I find most concerning is in 29 starts now (college and pros) Tannehill has not led his team to a single 4th quarter come-from behind win. Only one game has his team won when they have been tied in the 4th quarter, junior year against Nebraska when the Aggies rushed the ball into FG range at the end of the game for a 9-6 victory. The Aggies lost games last year when they had leads of 17, 18, 11, 9 at halftime and lost two games in OT...making his team 0-4 in OT games.

This year Miami is 0-3 and throw in tonight's game of 2 interceptions when down only 5 and under two minutes left...ouch.

I can't think of a single "franchise" or "elite" QB that hasn't had several signature wins at this stage of their career including college (19 starts) and pros (10 starts). The greats play better when pressure is on and almost will their team to victories. Tannehill hasn't come close to showing he has that capability.

jdang307 and Paul 13 like this.
  14. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Last week Jake Long dominated Kamerion Wimbley. He ended up with 1 hurry in 29 pass rushes, no tackles, and Jake Long several times put him on the ground in pass protection.

Stringer Bell likes this.
  15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If you can get Smith back at the right price, do it. Carroll is serviceable, but I don't think you want him as a starter.

Maybe it's just me, but Jimmy Wilson is awful. Yeah, he'll make a nice play on a blitz every once in a while, but in coverage...you'd rather have Richard Marshall playing the slot than Jimmy Wilson. He's got great value as a special teamer and that he can play safety, outside CB, and slot CB, but you don't want to see him on the field for as many snaps as he's been getting. There's good plays, but to borrow from Jeff Ireland's conversation with Vontae Davis on Hard Knocks, there's just too much inconsistency between them.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Right. It's clearly Ireland's fault that the guy who ran for 1k last year and played solid til hurt this year is now running scared.

Def his fault.

Jimmyfin likes this.
  17. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    He led the team down the field in overtime against the Jets, including a beautiful deep ball to Hartline. Carpenter ****ed it up.

It's WAY too early to bring this up, IMO.

Paul 13 likes this.
  18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I kind of thought that too. But I think he has better pocket awareness than you're giving him credit for.

One play tonight specifically I thought he was going to get killed just standing there w a free rusher coming, but he saw him coming the whole way and dipped out very nicely.

19. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    It probably seems worse bc Tannehill has gotten lit up pretty good on the limited mistakes Long has made.

20. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Reggie, among the many other duds we have not playing well, is on the guy who puts the players on the roster. Just as giving up 2 picks to get Danny Thomas who is terrible, and Lamar Miller who, for whatever reason, can't get on the field. The talent in the backfield is on our GM, for better and for worse.

21. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    His pocket awareness for this game was better than in previous games.

There are too many plays where Tannehill has a pocket, makes his reads, no one is open, so he throws the ball to one of the covered guys hoping he makes a play or gets a penalty. On those plays he has the athletic ability to at least try to run the ball and get some yards. Some of the plays could have been huge because a lot of the plays Bills were playing man and no one was shadowing Tannehill.

This would help him open up passes, especially to the deep middle because teams would have to account for his running ability. However teams now can completely ignore it. It is like having Dan McGwire, Bernie Kosar, Joey Harrnington, older Dan Marino or any of the other stone feet quarterback.

My only guess is that Sherman and Philbin want to work on his pocketwork before he is able use his athletic ability. If that is the case, it is reducing the chances of Miami winning games. It might be better for the future, however it is annoying at the present.

22. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This is the stupidest thing anyone can possibly say about this team.

Jimmyfin, MAFishFan and Clark Kent like this.
  23. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    The FG drive to tie the game in the 4th quarter Tannehill finished that drive 1 for 6, 0 yards...Miami moved down the field on a PI call that was thrown high to Bess and not likely to have been caught and a run by Thomas. Tannehill did have a nice pass in OT to Hartline, but Miami could get no further than the 30 yard line. Can't remember the stats Carpenter has off the top of my head, but I believe he has been under 50% on FG over 45 yards the last couple of years. A 47 yard FG attempt with an iffy kicker at that range is not what I would describe as being a clutch drive. Now had he driven the team down to the field to give Carpenter a 40 yard or less I would think that would qualify.

How many games in the 4th quarter does a QB have to lose before it is time to talk about it?

Paul 13 likes this.
  24. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    This is such crap. Such frigging crap. This is I've made my bed let me try and do what I can to lay in it. We get it dude. You don't think Ireland is the root of all evil. However, don't give me this crap that players aren't playing, players that Ireland hung his hat on to contribute.

You wanna know why Miami is 0-3 and getting crushed in the TO department? Because we fail to make ROUTINE plays. Sean Smith, Jimmy Wilson, nor Katlos Dansby can make plays GIVEN to them by scheme.

Reggie Bush is horrible. He won't be resigned for a reason. Daniel Thomas is mediocre. He can't be traded for a reason.

We have surrounded our QB with bush league talent. Seriously it is inadequate talent. Every scout, GM, executive, and pundit will agree. Yet, you have the nuts to say no.

We are doing all we can. It's time for a change at GM. We've invested hundreds of millions of dollars on an O-Line that sucks. Also, on a D-Line that can't consistently rush the passer.

JEFF IRELAND NEEDS TO GO, BRO!!!

Jimmyfin, Boik14 and oakelmpine like this.
  25. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    You all act like our receivers are open on the reg. They frigging suck!

oakelmpine likes this.
  26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    So you're going to say that for his time here overall Bush hasn't played well? Riiight.

Lamar Miller isn't a mystery, he's currently too slow to learn the playbook.

27. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He looks a bit lethargic in the pocket..needs to get lighter and quicker....if they try and build this kid up they'll be making a big mistake.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    True but I think there's a good chance that his leg is still bothering him as he's been more hesitant to take off and run or move as fluidly the last 3-4 weeks.

29. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    It is what it is man. Right now, our backfield, as a unit is garbage. We cannot compete, even with the worst defenses in the league. And relatively speaking, we are a VERY healthy team. Blame who you want. We can volley all night. I think the GM failing to get us the talent necessary to compete is a HUGE problem among many problems.

oakelmpine likes this.
  30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol So that'd be a no.

Reggie Bush is a lot of things but nobody can say he isn't talented.

31. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    What an entertaining first post to this thread.

You get a melt down on Tannehill and a statement that the poor play of the offense is on him and NOT the players around him and then you get a mile long rant on how the players around him screwed up. :lol:
    Oh my... funny stuff. Most Bi-Polar post I've seen in a while.

Jimmyfin, Paul 13 and oakelmpine like this.
  32. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    He is. I like him. I was annoyed when he got benched because he plays hard and cares. But his wrap is, he's oft injured and prone to fumbling. You take the good with the bad. We're living with the bad right now. He can't shake a thigh bruise in 4 weeks. He hurt us in a few games with turn overs. These were not mysteries, his downside. Our personnel, including Reggie right now, is failing us. Thats on the GM in my opinion. They put the team together.

33. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    None of the problems this team is having should be shocking.

The issues this team is having are a direct result of lack of talent at the WR position, struggles of an OL we knew would be a challenge, a rookie QB, a new head coach and system, etc.

That's not even starting on the challenges on defense.

We all talked about these issues all offseason.
    Honestly I'm surprised they had gotten to the 4-4 point. A lot of you just bought into the fools gold and got excited.
    This team has a ways to go bottom line.

Jimmyfin, Paul 13, Boik14 and 3 others like this.
  34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    No, it's not. He was still a great acquisition for the price compared to his production.

Now does he need to be replaced now, absolutely. But, Ireland can't predict injuries to Bush and the other RBs.

35. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'm going to bed, so let me get the last word in on your behalf.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If you have night terrors, be sure to blame Ireland for them as well.

37. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ

Its a leg bruise. If thats the worst a player gets injured in a season, it should be considered a gift.

Danny Thomas, giving up 2 picks for him, is a colossal failure. Lamar Miller, not being able to get on the field after 10 games is a failure. Fielding a 100 million dollar o-line, riddled with high draft picks that can't run block is a colossal failure, and backs who singularly and as a unit, stink..is a colossal failure. Its the GMs failure. end of freakin story man.

oakelmpine and LBsFinest like this.
  38. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Melodramatic.

39. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    now im going to bed...for reals.

40. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't think it's clear what the issue is with the passing offense. It could be Tanny. It could be the line. It could be the WRs. It could be the coaches. It is probably some combination of those things.

I thing the problems with the WRs are overstated. Hartline has 158 catches for his career for 15 yards per catch. We are quickly approaching the point at which that isn't a fluke, if we aren't already there. Bess is who he is, which is a good player despite his inability to go deep. Wes Welker doesn't catch deep routes either. Who wouldn't take him on this team? Having said that, am I seriously questioning how different things would be with Brandon Marshall? Sure. But again, I think this is low on the list of problems with the offense.