1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins@Bills, or stop blaming every ****ing thing but Ryan Tannehill

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    C'mon nothing.

Your punt return was bogus. That was your 7 pts. There were a number of other ref calls/non calls as I've pointed out plus the the constant holding of Wake.

If you guys completely outplayed us, how come we had a legit shot to win until the refs called a bs OPI on Hartline?

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Exactly, at this point, you have nothing to loose by playing Miller, Matthews and Egnew more. If they dont get it, being thrown into the fire like Tannehill has, then maybe they're not the type of players you need. If you draft a guy at TE in the third round, you'd think he could at least have a clue where he needs to line up. Matthews I can maybe understand being a later round pick, but still... If by this point in the season, after a full training camp you dont know the playbook, and your responsibilities, then... there's a damn good chance you don't belong in this league. So get them out there, take off the training wheels, lets see what we got. Nevermind this sitting on these guys for one or two years, then realizing they can't play when you thrust them into the starting lineup. It's like we waste two years at key positions all the time waiting for these guys to develop. They either aren't developing because our coaches suck, or they arent developing because they aren't good enough. I'm leaning towards the later since this is our second coaching staff now, and we're still getting the same results from our drafted players. I know its tough to tell with last years class, its way to early, but looking at past performance... yikes.

3. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    4 field goals v 2-4 TD's...

4. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Oh wait the reciever is allowed to push the defender?

5. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Seeing as how Stevie Johnson did it multiple times, I would say, yes. I don't even mind that Johnson did it, but if you call Hartline on it, they better call it on everyone else too.

Fin D likes this.
  6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Im not sure what that has to do with my post...

However that OPI on Hartline was a complete joke of a call. That NEVER gets called.

7. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    You should know what happened by now. And it's been 8 games straight, not 3. No one respects our vertical passing game, for good reason. LBs are flying upfield to make plays in the backfield, safeties are always around the LOS, corners are squatting on just about every snap. Mayock said it best, it's like we're playing the entire game inside the red zone b/c our WRs/TE's can't run.

On another note. Ryan Tannehill needs to start moving his *** around in the pocket. His launch point is about the same on every pass and DL are putting their heads down and going all out for that spot (Mario Williams for example). The OL hasn't played great by any stretch but a little cha-cha slide from the QB would help out a lot. Imagine if Cam Wake could rush a stationary target, he'd have 50 sacks by now. Instead he comes around the edge and the QB is usually gone already. Tanne needs to slide left, slide right, step up, roll out, etc, extend plays and give his guys more time to get open. The rhythm pass game aint doin **** b/c we have no speed and DBs are squatting on everything. Our #1 deep target for last night was Davone friggin Bess...SMH.

djphinfan likes this.
  8. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Jut one thing though. No one, and i mean NO ONE in this team is making plays. They are all unable to make plays. Even Reshad Jones, who is playing well; even Cameron Wake, who continues to play well. No one can make game changing plays.

So asking the Rookie, inexperienced for even a rookie, to be the SOLE player making plays is just completely unreasonable.

How about those "veterans" step up and make some plays? Stop expecting the rookie to be your savior and do your friggin job.

9. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    12-14, without your BS punt return.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He didn't run before his leg got hurt.

11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Their stubbornness with players has been one of my biggest pet peeves about this coaching staff. This is the staff that kept throwing Legadu Naanee out there after all.

12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How do you know Matthews was ready before yesterday?

13. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    LMAO. I wonder why they didn't play any kinda decent red zone offense. Maybe they didn't score on purpose b/c they wanted to keep it close so the fans wouldn't leave early. Or maybe we should give some credit where it's due. To Nolan Carrol, for single handedly allowing them into the red zone in the first place.

14. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I believe we are putting too much pressure and responsibility on Tannehill. We have a bad offense, sub-par running backs and sub-par wide receivers. We are pretty much asking Tannehill to carry this offense and this team which is unreasonable for a rookie quarterback. He is not playing well, he is throwing interceptions, and making mistakes because he is forcing his throws and making bad decisions. This is no excuse I realize but I can't help but think if we had a couple more clutch players on offense, a better and consistent running game it would surely help his play and development as a starting quarterback. The offense isn't making key plays and the defense isn't playing well and forcing turnovers so the problem isn't just Tannehill. Though he is responsible for his mistakes and bad decisions, he hasn't been put in a very good position to be successful for a rookie quarterback.

15. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Wahhhhhhh.... You got beat, simple. Usually Phins fans do not sound like Jests fans.

16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Brilliant comeback. Seriously, stellar. I'm clearly outmatched.

Your TD was given to you by the refs. Fact. We had a chance to win this game, but the refs decided Hartline using the Stevie Johnson maneuver is all of a sudden against the rules.

You kicked four goals. Scored a bs TD on a non call form the refs. And you were in position to lose until the refs bailed you out...again. These are facts and undeniable ones at that.

17. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I'm not blaming Tannehill because I can't think he is bad and still remain a fan of this franchise, I just can't. He has been playing poorly but, and when it comes to Ryan Tannehill there will be a BUT attached for another 2 1/2 years, the guy is not getting a lot of help. Lack of a running game is killing this team right now. We are burning downs trying to establish a run game, getting behind schedule (2nd and 9/3rd and 11 etc.) and putting ourselves into situations we can not succeed in right now.

I want to see Lamar Miller much more.

Daniel Thomas is a decent in pass pro, has decent hands but he is an awful running back.

We need two new guards.

And a fast, big receiver....and a seam busting tight end...and for Martin not to bust...and a pair of corners, and a free safety...another pass rusher...

We have a lot of needs.

One of those needs is the "need" to see more of Rishard Matthews. I am curious.

I don't see why people are piling on Jake Long right now. Yes, he got blown up by Merriman but I thought he played alright. He is not what he was 2 years ago but he is a good player.

Is it just me or do we NEVER attack the middle of the field? I know Tannehill is a god outside the numbers thrower but in this league you can't take 1/3 of the field off the table. Defenses must see that we make our living outside the numbers in the passing game and are adjusting accordingly. Mike Sherman MUST do a better job of adjusting to what defenses are giving us.

Speaking of Mike Sherman. Run a screen. Please.

Reshad Jones is a Pro Bowl safety.

Karlos Dansby is having a good year but he is getting paid far too much money to be having a "good" year. He needs to make ****ing plays.

Can anyone make a play? We can't finish quarterbacks in the pocket. We can't get a bounce. We can't catch interceptions.

Before I say what I am about to say let me state, I am NOT blaming last night on the officials. With that said, we are getting ROYALLY screwed by every crew we see. It is reaching laughable proportions now. Cam Wake gets CLEARLY held on a big third down throw early. I did not even say "damn" or anything because it was so blatant I knew the play was coming back....but I saw no flag. Hartline's OPI? Borderline call at most. If they called that consistently Michael Irvin would have been cut after 2 years without ever having caught a pass. Brian Hartline gets smacked in the head, before the ball arrives, and we get nothing. It was much more blatant than anything Nolan Carroll did on any of his penalties. We get totally ****ed at least once a week and Cam Wake gets held 10 times a game and draws a penalty every 2 weeks. It's a joke. It's Roger's league though.

I don't see us winning more than 1 more game. My hope is gone. All optimism is gone. The season is back to being what I thought it would be about, growth and development from Ryan Tannehill and evaluation of the talent on this team. If we go 6-10 Ireland will keep his job. If we go 4-12, with a 9 game losing streak Ross will have to fire him. I think we go 5-11. What does that get us?

Jimmyfin likes this.
  18. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Hey man, you are sad today and clearly very biased toward your own team (I was not trying to 'school' or outmatch you, we are simply fans lol). I know sometimes penalty's feel like they run hard against your own team. If you are honest, it is hard to be objective. It is for me when my team loses. We went through the same thing last week with NE. Seemed like every long pass by Brady was PI. We had to play the game under the way it was called. Despite almost 40 first downs we got beat.

The Phins got beat, had some calls go your way, some not so much. My friend, who played in the NFL back in the 1980's told me that that soft bump into the kicker only gets called about 20% of the time. Also, if you watch Stevie, he smacks CB's around inside of 5 yards, where he is allowed and he does it via swim moves which are not obvious push offs like Hartline did. That is one of his main things to get open. They never call that on him, so I suppose it is legal, inside 5 yards. Hartline shoved the CB and cut back, it was real obvious.

Bills outplayed your team last night. Had the game been closer, you would have seen a more agressive Bills offense in the second half, Chan said so after the game.

That said, the Phins hung tough and I think have some promise. The problem here is that they won alot early and overset expectations for the fan base. I would not get rid of Jake Long or Wake or Tannehill or any of them. They need games together. The rest of your schedule is brutal so better to put away playoff hopes and expect improvement for next year.

19. Jimmyfin

Jimmyfin New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Moore is a bum, always has been always will be.

20. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

He did score on a very nice bootleg .

21. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    i disagree. i was a proponent of the Phins staying the course with Moore and the last coaching staff. They were building towards relevence and then the dumb owner got cute.

22. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    A consistent coaching staff is only a positive if it's a good coaching staff.

Too many people pull that card without considering this reality.

JMHPhin likes this.
  23. Jimmyfin

Jimmyfin New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    You are a Bills fan. How does your opinion matter??

24. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    6-3 to end the season last year. Barely lost to the Pats and Moore was playing well. I dunno, maybe I am 100% all wet on this. I just think if thiings are moving the right direction, try it for one more year!

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Blah, blah, blah.

I'm not the fan you're pretending I am. I have only blamed the refs for one loss before and that was the Pitt game where they took they ball away from us and gave it to the Steelers for no reason.

This game was absolutely lost because of the refs. I cannot be more clear. Your lone TD was illegal. You had a number of drives continued by bad PI calls. Not just one. We had 2 drives stalled by a non call and a bad call. I guarantee you Wake was held at least 5 times in that game and there were no calls.

You can also pretend you guys played great by your offense not scoring a single TD with all the gifts the refs gave you. That's your right, I don't care, but if you're not admitting that game was gift wrapped by the zebras then you're the homer not me.

PSG and brandon27 like this.
  26. Foreboding

Foreboding Member

Dec 20, 2010
    I thought perhaps you were a more intelligent fan or at least that I would give you the benefit of the doubt. Clearly your pretty much the average NFL American team apologist. It's someone elses fault the Dolphins got 50 yards total offense in the first half, its the refs fault that Nolan Carrollwas shell shocked out there. It's the refs fault that Reggie got shut down, or that our punter sealed you at the one or that Hartline clearly shoved a player, well outside a 5 yard limit. Its the refs fault that Long got smacked to the ground by old Shawne Merriman or that Tannehill had no time to pass all night or that spiller gained 130+ yards. Its the refs fault your rookie QB looks like a rookie now.

Typical Jets fan. Pointless.

Steve-Mo likes this.
  27. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    They don't need to be teaching him to be a game manager, especially now that postseason chances are done. They need to encourage him to try to make plays. He'll throw picks but at least he should start throwing TDs at a higher pace than 6 after ten games.

28. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Kiss my ***.

Sometimes the refs cost teams games. This was one of those times. I notice you don't argue the actual bad calls I listed, you just call me a Jets fan.

29. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I don't see what anyone is surprised at the way we've played. Tannehill is struggling like most rooks do and considering our horrible lack of playmakers on offense, our Oline play, RB play (with the exception of a few good games from Reggie), the turnovers its just not a winning formula. I would like to see Tannehill play better but honestly I think he's right about where he should be developmentally and I love his gunslinger attitude, he seems to have that "amnesia" that good Qbs have and he isn't afraid of making a mistake, I think he's shown a lot of toughness and a lot of potential. I don't see Moore coming in and leading us to the playoffs so he really isn't the answer. Tannehill getting some playing time and us having a top 10 pick in next years draft isn't a horrible thing........sure I'd love for us to make some noise but this team is almost completely devoid of star players with big impact on Sundays, we need some.

30. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    :headscratch:

31. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    Exactly. Tannehill shares some blame but I have to believe that if the OL is crunching the DL and opening holes in the running game and if WR's are getting open then RT is playing better and with more confidence.

Right now that's not happening. RT is also making mistakes. I particularly don't like his instincts in the pocket (sometimes he leaves too early; other times he back pedals to far and leaves the pocket.

In some ways this could be a negative for him if he struggles with bad habits. There is a value to sitting on the bench a year or two and seeing the game objectively. But, hopefully his bad plays and bad instincts at times will not impact him too negatively in the long run.

32. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    Everyone should have expected RTH to struggle. He is a rookie QB coming into one of the worst offensive situations in the NFL. On top of that, we can't even run the d@#n ball! When you have as much invested in OL and RB but you still can't run the ball, that's where blame should be going. Long getting schooled, Incognito missing blitzes and getting personal fouls and Jerry just not being that good deserve blame. Martin is a rookie and you expect some struggles. Pouncey, Bess and Hartline have been the only players on this offense that make plays.

33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii

What makes his regression so bad is that he has played his worst football against three of the worst defenses in the NFL, the the Titans, Colts, and Bills. The Seahawks and 49ers have two of the best defenses in the NFL.If the offense and especially Tannehill, plays the same way they have in the past three weeks against these defenses, they will get blown out by both these teams.

34. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

This thread is Ryan Tannehills fault.

PhinsRDbest and unifiedtheory like this.
  35. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    There is for Dolphin fans...just ask Hootie

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  36. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Sorry Disgust I usually understand your point of view even if I disagree but I dont see this at all. I see pure panic. Tannehill hasnt shown elite play the last 3 weeks for sure. he hasnt overcome the liabilities of those around him to be true. But to say that those around him are playing well enough and ad Tannehill played up to par we would be winning. I find that imaginary thinking. it isnt true.

Defenses have concentrated where Tannehill is less comfortable, where the dolphins strengths are knowing we dont have the down the field talent to consistently go over the top so it sign shoirtens the field. sitting in zone rushing 4 limits the windows to throw. The run game is almost nonexistent to force safeties to hesitate at all.

Tannehill certainly shares in the struggles but his struggles are corelated to the deficiencies in personnel.

Defense failure to get off the field on 3rd down consistently also hurts the # of oppoprtunitis the offense has with the ball.

As a team we are struggling, Tannehill is a rookie with promise. He has to overcome teh struggles but the personnel has to get better as well

Overall I really like what I see. I will not say I think he will be elite. I will say I see the potential. RT will have to get there, but it will sevrely hamper his ability to do so if this is the best supporting cast he can hope for.

37. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I don't like to blame refs for losses. They almost never single-handedly cost teams games - Dolphins vs Steelers and Packers vs Seahawks notwithstanding - and perhaps Seahawks vs Steelers in the Super Bowl.

And while the refs didn't do us any favors on Thursday night, they did not cost us a win. Our offenses inability to score points against the worst defense in the NFL did.
    That's on Philbin, Sherman, Tannehill and the rest of the offense. Not the refs.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I disagree.

Their lone TD wasn't legal. That right there has us win the game. They owe another 6 pts (at least) to bad PI calls. We scored enough to win. Our offense struggled but that in and of itself does not mean we deserved to lose.

If we played exactly the same as we did, and Buffalo played exactly the same they did but the refs call the game correctly, we win by at least 13 pts. That is nothing to sneeze at coming off a short week against a division rival.

39. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    I guess so.

But my old HS coach used to always say, (he had many sayings,) "Winners win, losers blame the refs."
    I know it's not that cut and dry. But to score 14 points - one of which was ST - against the worts defense in the League is unacceptable.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    You're too hung up on the worst defense thing. It means nothing. This was a divisional game on a short week. We were robbed, plain and simple.

A coach has to say those things to a team to keep them motivated, but think about this, if refs don't cost teams games for real, then why do coaches scream at them?