1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins @ Bills - Wildcard Round (01/15/‘23)

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Pennington's Limp Arm, Jan 9, 2023.

1. StaleTacos

StaleTacos Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2022
    Ingold or QB sneak. It wasn't rocket science.

dolphin25 likes this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I'm not yet there. He processes information too slowly. But I am in favor of keeping him to see if he can improve.

dolphin25 likes this.
  3. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I completely agree, the team (besides Waddle) stepped up today nicely when it mattered. Defensive line was going nuts! Today was a moral victory anyway and should pay dividends next season. Hopefully it's with Tua, but it could well be Carr, Brady or Jimmy G. We'll see as the next few months unfold.

resnor likes this.
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Meh, at least we didn't barf all over ourselves like most of the national types thought we would.

Buffalo continues to look semi-fraudulent. I don't think they beat Cinci and the Chiefs.

5. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Oh...Well yeah...That I agree on. It looked like a go after the Waddle catch, but then it stalled. The delay of game was huge.

dolphin25 likes this.
  6. dolphin25

dolphin25 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2014
    we win if receivers catch the ball

7. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I mean, rookie QB, very few reps this season, playing at Buffalo and constantly under pressure...the kid deserves a thumb's up for today. Hated that he kept rolling right with Tyreek streaking across the field to the left; to me that was a coaching error in play design.

Oh, for the record, that was clearly PI on Gisecki on 4th down. The defender was all over his arm practically as the ball was released all the way up to the attempted catch. That was robbery, LoL!

dolphin25 and JJ_79 like this.
  8. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    he had people open deep and he just threw it away towards the end on broken plays. sad he throws those 2 stupid ints and yet won't let it rip deep to his guys

9. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    So, I do think we still need to add a vet QB to the roster, but we can get one for a hell of a lot cheaper than Bridgewater who does nothing but wear big coats and sit on the sideline. Need some O Line help, McDaniels needs to regather his footing as I think he's still got a lot of growing up to do. We've got to somehow figure out the pass defense issues and we absolutely need to be better disciplined with the penalties. I love kader Kohou, I think he's got a future in this league, but he holds on nearly every pass play. We also need more out of Bradley Chubb next season. I like our D Line with him, Davis, Phillips (who's becoming my favorite Dolphin), Wilkins, and of course Seiler. There's a lot to like with this roster moving forward.

10. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    It's several things. He waits too long for the WR to get open; he doesn't know when to run; he doesn't see coverage properly as you saw with some of those INTs. It's potentially fixable so I'm in favor of keeping him, but you can't count on him as backup QB at the present time.

dolphin25 and Silverphin like this.
  11. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    Not the only robbery today. Refs were atrocious again today, but why would they call a good game, didn’t do that for us most of the season.

KeyFin and dolphin25 like this.
  12. ExplosionsInDaSky

Sep 13, 2011
    Thompson has and never will be known for taking those type of risks. He's a gutsy player I'll give him that, but he's not a risk taker and he's not going to improv the way we'd like him to. Not yet anyway. More experience would certainly help his cause, but we're not there yet either.

13. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    and Holland. Really no reason for the defense to give up as many points as they do. Need at least one stud LB and our injured corners back.

JJ_79 likes this.
  14. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    but, they weren't risky throws. the guys were open. Oh well, season over.

15. dolphin25

Nov 22, 2014
    coach made it that way all year. Id spread it out and then run up the middle, but noooooooooooooooo

16. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    This coach is a terrible play caller and game management showed up today wasting timeouts.
    Would think he would have gotten better as season progressed but didn't

Hooligan and Tuanon4Life like this.
  17. Tuanon4Life

Tuanon4Life Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2022
    I give Thompson a ton of credit. He made some mistakes but he also made some perfect throws that were dropped and it could have changed the outcome of the game. For a 7th rd rookie against impossible odds he had us in it until the last 3 minutes. I hope Miami keeps him next season and continues his development.

dolphin25, Two Tacos and KeyFin like this.
  18. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Yea I agree.The stars needed to step up for.tje kid but they failed

dolphin25 and KeyFin like this.
  19. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    I don't. They need to shoot for much higher. Thompson has no outstanding tools. Why would they waste time developing a backup or fringe average QB?

hitman8 likes this.
  20. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine lol!!!!!!!!!

21. StaleTacos

Jan 16, 2022
    I mean it's just the reality of Skylar, and what you need in the league to succeed and dominate. Dolphins need to draft something interesting in later rounds.

hitman8 likes this.
  22. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I will give Skylar a pass.He only had 3 starts and all 3 were against top defences with 2 on the road.Not to mention his supporting cast plus his head coach ****ed him over today.

dolphin25 and Tuanon4Life like this.
  23. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I saw several holds today. One play, I saw two and Allen moved the pocket for a positive gain. It is what it is.

24. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013

25. Fishhead

Fishhead Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2016
    So the refs found another way to screw us.

26. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    He'll definitely suffice as QB2. I said earlier that I wanted to see his progression and he displayed it today. If his receivers stepped up today, we would have won and he would have been player of the game. The worst part about drops is they're drive killers and we gave the Bills one more drive than we could have afforded. With that being said, the third quarter INT at the ~30 yard line was solely on him and that, IMO, was when the game was lost.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  27. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Looking at the Ahmed noncall again, total bs. Edmunds was clearly going up high to the head/neck area. Intent was to injure. So blatant.

KeyFin, Striking and Tuanon4Life like this.
  28. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Coach has to be prepared for this kind of stuff. That happens many times over the course of a season, where the refs call it one way first and then change it before the play begins. McDaniel made a lot of coaching errors in this game, and that 4th and 1 fiasco is on him more than anyone else. Have to be prepared.

dolphin25 likes this.
  29. Pennington's Limp Arm

Pennington's Limp Arm Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    Maybe but what about the other 20 times they couldn’t get a darn play off on time?

Ive never seen anything like what happened on that field today. They routinely broke huddle with 6 seconds left on the playclock. The playclock became the MVP of the game…. It was a total nightmare watching every play and sweating if they would get it off on time.

30. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Absolutely. He was the definition of a defenseless player. The announcers tried to mitigate the non-call by suggesting the ball buffered the blow, but since when is it that the head/neck area is different due to ball placement?

dolphin25 and resnor like this.
  31. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    Skyler is not good. It was a valient effort but he is not very talented. Weak arm, not very accurate, poor processing speed, throws up floaters everywhere.

Don't let this game fool you into thinking Skyler is the answer at QB2, let alone QB1.

Buffalo is really not as good as their record suggests, its mostly just the josh allen show over there. I dont see them going far in the playoffs. Looking servicable against buffalo is really not so great of an achievement.

Pennington's Limp Arm likes this.
  32. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Posting my post game assessment a little late. Made Jaegersnitchel for dinner. Yum effing Yum!!!

Ok, the first obvious…either the Dolphins really truly stepped in against all odds, or Buffalo really ain’t all that!! Think about it…

You’re home, you’re a 14 point favorite, you’re facing a team who’s fielding their 3rd string, 7th round draft pick rookie of a quarterback with only 2 starts under his belt and the team you’re facing is riddled with injuries; 40% of the starting lineup is out with injuries…and you barely win by 3 points?

I had previously stated I had conceded the loss earlier in the week, but wanted to see the Dolphins step up and in my opinion, step up they did. I couldn’t be prouder of this team!

Coaching mistakes? Sure, with a rookie head coach, we all knew they were going to happen. McDaniel will learn from them.

Thompson’s mistakes? Well hell, a 7th round rookie quarterback with only 2 starts under his belt, we knew those would happen as well. Big Sky is definitely worth the investment to develop and he’s going to be a viable number 2. He’s a rookie and rookies drafted that late in the draft are supposed to be developed. He’s earned his spot through baptism by fire.

Officiating? Gee, where do we start? Where’s the police report for the muggings Phillips endured all game long? That boy was held more than a crack pipe being held by a crack addict! There has to be a remedy for the piss poor officiating that’s occurred not only in this game, but all season long. How in God’s name is a defender not flagged for unnecessary roughness when he leads with his helmet, hits the receiver in the head and the argument is, “the ball was in between the defender and receivers helmets”? Utter nonsense. Can’t help but to believe the fix was in when the odds were set last week.

All in all, GREAT showing by the Dolphins. Had Tua been under center, no doubt in my military mind we would have won that game 42-34.

33. hitman8

hitman8 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2016
    I think it's more that Buffalo just aint all they are hyped up to be. As for us winnig with Tua in there, we already saw that game with Tua starting against bufffalo a few weeks ago, and we still lost in a close game similar to this one.

resnor likes this.
  34. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    This is why you draft, coach and develop players drafted late in the draft.

Otherwise, what’s the sense in drafting players that late?

Your overly critical, self-bitter assessment of Thompson’s performance is silly and nonsensical. Had he been a “typical” 7th round rookie with only 2 starts under his belt, the Dolphins would have lost this game much much worse than they had. They fact we were as close as we were is credit to him and how hard he played today.

Any reasonable and prudent person can see that.

KeyFin, Puka-head and Tuanon4Life like this.
  35. Tuanon4Life

Dec 23, 2022
    There was at least a couple times the play clock hit zero for a half second or so and they didn't call delay of game. Unless it was a little off on the TV we might have caught a few breaks.

36. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    The guy we should have taken in the 7th (or earlier really) is Brock Purdy. Guy has been lighting it up ever since he started this year: 107.3 rating after 170 passing attempts in regular season, and a nice 131.5 rating in his first postseason game with 3 TD, no INTs.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PurdBr00.htm

Of course we don't know if this is a Nick Foles type of situation, but it does show how much QB evaluation is a crapshoot.

dolphin25 and hitman8 like this.
  37. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    That was a different game under completely different circumstances.

Compare apples to apples, not apples to kumquats.

Open receivers that Thompson completely missed and didn’t see? Tua would have anticipated those match ups and made those throws. He’s done it all season long.

If you can’t see we would have won with Tua, then you haven’t been watching the Dolphins at all this season.

38. Fireland

Fireland Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Yeah a game where Tua was substantially better than Skylar but the defense had no turnovers and today they had 3. Zero chance they lose with Tua and 3 turnovers.

39. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Hindsight being 20/20 Brad, it’s not really realistic to say the Dolphins should have drafted Purdue instead of Thompson. Can’t use what either quarterback has done in their NFL careers as a basis on what we should have done draft day. Can’t see into the future, only at their past college careers and even though Purdy broke from Iowa State records, they really didn’t win very much. Like you said, it’s a craps shoot that late in the draft.

Purdy is lighting it up with San Francisco but I don’t take anything away from Thompson. San Francisco has been a better organization overall than Miami over the last several years and Skylar was being coached 3rd in the depth chart by a rookie head coach.

I think Thompson is going to prove to be a viable and reliable backup here in Miami for a number of years.

dolphin25 and Tuanon4Life like this.
  40. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Of course it's hindsight. But it is realistic. It's not like draft position was an issue, and given that hardly anyone thought highly of either QB it's down to the flip of a coin. So it's hindsight + realistic. Anyway, just pointing it out.

Oh, and it's a crapshoot even in the 1st round if you look at the history of busts. QB evaluation is really hard and I don't think anyone has a very good track record (unless they prove otherwise).