1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins claim McNutt

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GridIronKing34, May 15, 2013.

1. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007
    Bess was never an outside option or weapon. His stats are pretty damn solid when you bring that weakness into the equation. I think too many ppl are thinking Welker stats or Austin potential. Bess did fine imo. Gamebreaker? Never going to happen but im sure there are a shed load of NFL teams that have a slot receiver that dont make a huge difference. TE's are the new Slot receiver.

2. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    you pretty much nailed it. In the team's defense, they clearly tried to add another dynamic receiver, they were targeting Tavon Austin at 12 and tried to draft Josh Boyce in the 4th, who they really should have taken after trading up into the late 3rd round, not some corner with a 5th round grade. but yes, it is disappointing that we only have one explosive receiver on the team.

jim1 likes this.
  3. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Still confident in Matthews ability, he's going to take the next step as much as Reshad did in year 2.

4. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    I swear, it seems like Jeff Ireland is afraid to draft WR's. I know that that's not really the case, but there were so many quality receivers available in this years draft, and nada. He really seems to prefer FA to nab receivers.

5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I really think Brandon Gibson will be this years iteration of Wilford / Nanee. A pretty unimpressive WR who had just a little tiny bit of success with another team but will come here and do absolutely nothing. I hope to be wrong, but I'm worried I won't be. I was also extremely unimpressed by the signing and not sure how the 3rd WR option on a WR corp that was arguably worse than Miami's last season is an upgrade to Davone Bess. I know there are fans here who praise and defend the move, just as they have other front office missteps before they turned into the disasters they actually were.

LBsFinest likes this.
  6. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Where he does terribly. Wilford, Nanee, Chad Johnson, etc. His only win (Brandon Marshall) he traded away for half a salami sandwich.

7. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    You've got to GIF the part of the movie Beasts of the Southern Wild where the cook at the whorehouse who may in fact be Hush Puppy's mom made her some fried gator from scratch and started out by cracking open a bottle of beer with her teeth, then holding up an egg, spitting the bottle cap at it and sawing the egg in half so she could drop the yolk in the mixing bowl. Coolest cooking move evar.

Paul 13 likes this.
  8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Gibson (as a #3) had better production than Bess (as a #2).

Basically, we upgraded Hartline with Wallace, Bess with Hartline, and Nanee/whoever else with Gibson. I don't know how you can honestly look at that and not see the upgrade.

Now, i'm not saying we couldn't have upgraded more, because we could have...I wanted to pull a St. Louis before St. Louis pulled a St. Louis. But we certainly upgraded anyway.

Justright likes this.
  9. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would say Jeff Ireland doesn't value wide receivers in the draft. I don't think he is afraid.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Fans have also panned moves that worked out.

Fans have also celebrated moves that worked out.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Ha, I just realized St.Louis did exactly what you wanted us to do. That must sting.

djphinfan and Fin D like this.
  12. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    It did.

After we got Jordan, my chant went like this, "Please don't let Jets or Bills or Pats get Austin." "Please don't let Jets or Bills or Pats get Austin." "Please don't let Jets or Bills or Pats get Austin."

Then after we traded out of the 3rd, my chant was, "Please don't let Jets or Bills or Pats or St. Louis get Bailey." "Please don't let Jets or Bills or Pats or St. Louis get Bailey." "Please don't let Jets or Bills or Pats or St. Louis get Bailey."

13. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    Well Ireland drafted Hartline and for a 4th round pick he's good. I don't think he's as special as some here think he is, don't think he's a second option on any playoff team last year, but still solid as a third option.

Mexphin and ckparrothead like this.
  14. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Jeff Ireland did well on Brian Hartline and with Davone Bess as well.

Not so hot on Pat Turner, Isaiah Stanback, Clyde Gates or B.J. Cunningham. Or any other of the 20 or so UDFAs they tried out over the years. Obviously the jury is still out on Rishard Matthews, but I do like him.

I think there's definitely enough history to suggest that Jeff Ireland shies away from drafting receivers high. The highest he's taken was a 3rd rounder. You can say yeah but he was going to take Tavon Austin. Well, we don't know that, do we? You can quote any media source you want but the media sources are easily lied to. Every single one of them that's come out saying Miami was going for Tavon Austin claims they knew that before the draft, and there has to be at least a somewhat healthy skepticism that Miami would flat out tell members of the media whom they intend to take in the 1st round before the draft happens. I mean that's not even saying something general like "we like this guy" or "we like that guy". That's straight up giving your battle strategy to someone you know has every incentive to blab about it.

Ah but SOURCES, SOURCES, SOURCES, right? Except those sources are whom? When we have plenty of examples like in 2007 when everyone in the Draft room thought Miami would take Brady Quinn and even started celebrating when he made it to the 9th pick, and the only people in the room that knew they would pass on him were the owner, GM and Head Coach...go on and tell me about what these sources "know".

The history is what it is.

15. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    History also told us he'd never take a QB in the first. Or trade up to the #3. I don't think there's a whole lot we can gather from Ireland's drafting here to accurately predict what he will or won't do.

STColeridge and Anonymous like this.
  16. Justright

Justright Banned

Feb 23, 2013
    It's faulty logic to think that a player on team A will play just like they did for team B. That's why free agency is so risky. Some guys will excel on some teams and look pitiful on others. And there are many reasons for this. Gibson on the Dolphins may be a lot different than Gibson on the Rams. He may be a lot better or a lot worse. Hell, the same goes with Wallace. However, there's something about them that Ireland and Philbin liked. And for me, at the moment, that's all that matters.

Bess is basically a mirror image of Welker. Welker wasn't very good here. If Bess had been traded to the Patriots I'm betting he would be called one of the best, if not the best, slot WR in the league.

17. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    USM still has a football team? Thought it left with Fedora...

18. Justright

Justright Banned

Feb 23, 2013
    FWIW...I took this to mean that Gibson is not very good. Not that he's in danger of being cut.

Also, I disagree with your opinion about Gibson.

ckparrothead likes this.
  19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    For the record, You're complaining bc we only have one of the top 3 most explosive wrs in the league. Which is akin to saying the Vikings only have Adrian Peterson.

20. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    How many teams have multiple 'explosive' receivers? You don't need more than one, just compliments.

21. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    I think it's Ireland doing a good job finding his McNutts.

Nice pick up-

22. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Mike Wallace might be the most dangerous deep threat in football, it's not realistic to expect to have 2 of him. I just wanted more than one guy who could do something with the ball in his hands. Green Bay had 3 or 4. Bess, Gibson, Hartline can all get from point A to point B. but once they get to point B and catch the ball, neither of them will really be breaking any tackles, or juking a DB out of his cleats, none of them are that physical or dynamic. Bess was traded during the draft with the plan on replacing him with a playmaking receiver from the draft. now they obviously tried. but they failed.

23. Vertical Limit

Nov 25, 2007
    The ones that have multiple explosive receivers are contenders in this league.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I agree with your statement that it would be nice to have more explosive receivers. I was championing Austin like a lot of people. However I do disagree with the bolded statement.

I think Bess was traded because he was not going to be used enough to justify his paycheck. While they did try to draft a speedier slot type receiver, they didn't try very hard.

Fin D likes this.
  25. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Like Jacksonville and Arizona.

26. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Most of the time it's not about the homerun but the basehits and walks that help score points also.

27. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    yes it does help to have a quarterback from time to time named Kurt Warner and his lovely wife.

28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Bess was replaced by Hartline and BH was replaced by Wallace. Gibson replaces Moore, Armstrong, Gaffney etc. If u disagree w the changes ok. But at least understand them before passing judgement.

Fin D and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.
  29. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    I love how folks have their panties in a wad over the #4 WR LMAO. A guy who would rarely ever see the field since Keller will line up in the slot mostly. And yes Keller will almost always be on a route in passing plays. I think his highest ever # of snaps in pass protection for a season was something like................12 ;p

Justright likes this.
  30. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I thought he was a forward.

31. MrClean

He's a lot bigger and stronger than Bess, isn't he? I seem to recall McNutt has huge hands too, by WR standards.

32. MrClean

Maybe it seems anecdotal, but I recall quite a few times Bess would make a catch at the marker, and give ground to try and get additional yac and miss the 1st down. All he needed to do was make the catch and sit down, but he tried to get creative. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but it sticks out in my mind for some reason.

cuchulainn likes this.
  33. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    No, you're right, he did it at least a couple times. Pissed me off a ton.

cuchulainn likes this.
  34. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think you're overestimating the weight with which you were pissed by.

Yeah, I just out-Stitches, Stitches.

35. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I agree to a degree. Hartline can make some plays downfield but id have liked to see one more speed guy added at WR. Maybe Rishard Matthews will develop in to that guy but the question is will it be this year? I do have concerns about our playmakers. One more pick spent on a high draft pick or even a mid rounder with some nice upside would have been nice

36. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Yes but hes just as limited in that hes best from the slot. Thats what I meant by that. Sorry if it wasnt clear :)

37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Good point about Dustin Keller lining up at Wr, he is rarely spoken about by anyone but could have a great season with Tannehill's better Qb play then the Nachos.

Wallace
    Hartline
    Gibson
    Keller

Should form a good receiver core for us, and Keller in that role makes Gibson's signing make more sense to me.

Sceeto likes this.
  38. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

The Dolphins need some size at WR and Binns, Fuller and McNutt bring that to the table. I think Wallace, Hartline, Gibson and Matthews are the front runners for 1-4. The winner of the big guy battle could easily put this group over the top. What a difference a year makes.

STColeridge and Sceeto like this.
  39. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Yea, with Keller here Gibson is basically the 4th receiver on the team. I think Keller will be the man in the slot a good deal of the time with Egnew, Wallace, Clay and Hartline seeing a little action there.

40. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Yeah, the receiving corp overall is upgraded. I'd be hard pressed to make an argument against that. Wallace instantly upgraded the entire unit if not one other move was made. I just wasn't a fan of Gibson replacing Bess. Time will tell if he's better than Bess.