1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Claim RB Steve Slaton off Waivers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ckparrothead, Sep 28, 2011.

1. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Ronnie was having a Pro Bowl type of year in 09 before he got hurt. He was hitting everything and running over everything that year. The broken ankle/foot really hurt him long term.

2. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    No, it doesn't matter that he thinks he can, sorry Reggie, but you can't.

3. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    When your completely unable to miss tacklers, your body isn't going to be able to hold up in the NFL. Ronnies only move really, was to lower his shoulder and run over you...wouldn't break the tackle, but more often then not, Ronnie brought the hit to the defender. Bodies not going to last long that way.

4. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Slaton is a similar type of player.
    This is not a runner that is going to be effective splitting carries with Thomas anymore than Bush has been.
    We aren't using Bush correctly as it is and now we pick up a similar player? LOL.

This is called desperation after realizing they failed to man the RB position correctly going into the season.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  5. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    How is it desperation to claim someone off waivers who was cut to add depth to your roster. It's not like they ran out and signed him to a big deal while he was a free agent because we couldnt run/were losing games. He was cut went through waivers and was claimed. Teams do it all the time. If we didn't claim him someone else would and would that be a an act of desperation by that team? Porbably not, in fact I bet someone would start a thread about the dolphins and why they should have have claimed him off waivers. Just like the Randy Moss topics last year. Which I might add it looks like they made the right decision in the case of Randy Moss. I am just as critical as the next guy but jeez.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    They're paying Slaton too much damn money this year now that they picked up his salary. Just like they paid Reggie Bush too much damn money.

ToddsPhins and ckparrothead like this.
  7. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

And dammit, the rent is TOO DAMN HIGH!

[video=youtube;x4o-TeMHys0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4o-TeMHys0[/video]

ToddsPhins, dolfan32323 and SICK like this.
  8. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Save it....

They picked up a player off waivers that matches the skill set of a guy they traded for in Bush.
    There's no reason for it except as I said, desperation from being a 3 games into a season and realizing they seriously neglected the RB position.
    Now they're grasping at straws.

They didn't want to spend in FA supposedly but now their picking up a depth scat back for a cool million?
    Yeah.... sure.

9. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    They seriously neglected the RB position?

Uh, maybe you should look up the meaning of neglect. We traded multiple picks to move up to select a big power runner in Daniel Thomas, who has 200 yards in 2 games. Traded for another RB that is more of finesse that is very good receiver in the backfield. Sounds like a perfect combo to me. If there is one part of this team that has no been responsible for our 0-3 start is the running game. About the only bad they've done is pass protection. They have not been good in that area, but still.

Neglected? Quite the opposite actually.

10. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Your opinion, Slaton has rushed for 1k yds in the NFL, if one wishes to say "similar type to Bush so he won't be effective" what should be made of it?

"If" they want to trade bush's 10-12 touches for reps in the slot at Wr, then they are going to have to add someone and cut down his carries, if they want Bush on punts and kickoffs, they have to find a Rb who can step into Bush's rb role.

Which makes Slaton a logical pickup, if he flames out or does nothing at all that remains to be seen, the move itself is completely a good football move.

11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Bush isn't even close to the same kind of runner Slaton is. Slaton gets used as a 3rd down back sometimes in Houston, and can catch well but that's about it. He's much more powerful and much more decisive.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    The other thing is, sometimes a running back just needs a change of scenary to jump start their careers.

Ced Benson comes to mind, he was a bust in Chicago, winds up in Cinci and became a good player, I guess just less negativity met opportunity to play that he made the most of, Slaton's fumblitis and the Staff losing confidence in him meant his time was up in Texas last yr and pretty much everyone knew it.

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    FWIW, Slaton is going to wear #23 for us.

Anyone think he plays this weekend even on Kick Returns?

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    They didn't neglect the RB position per se. But Reggie Bush? C'mon. There were better options out there, for cheaper *cough* *Ahmad Bradshaw* *cough*. If Slaton is healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if his tenure in Miami outlasts Tony Sparano's and Reggie Bush's for that matter.

15. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm generally OK with picking up Steve Slaton off waivers but I do agree with Alen here that $1.2 million is a HIGH number to be picking up.

I said before that I don't think the waiver priority resets until after Week 4 to reflect what is happening this year. That means Dolphins probably had #15 waiver priority when it came to Slaton. With a $1.2 million salary, I'm not surprised that nobody in the top 14 claimed him. I also wouldn't be surprised if nobody below us put in a claim either.

Just think about this, the guy I keep talking about for the Chargers that has 2 sacks and a forced fumble in only 30 pass rush opportunities in 3 games, he cost the Chargers about $1.5 million a year as a free agent this year. And the Dolphins chose not to get into that bidding. But they'll pay $1.2 million to claim Steve Slaton off waivers.

I don't know if you ever assign the word 'desperate' to a waiver claim, but this comes close. They should have let him pass through waivers and then make him a free agent offer. But they were that desperate to not let him go off to a different team. Was that because of need? Or because they're that high on him? We'll see.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, how can Bradshaw be pointed to when DTrain is playing so well?

This pick up of Slaton, and his 1.2 million dollar salary, is more or less an admission by the regime that Bush is not what they hoped he would be, which is fine (imo) as Bush is better suited as an X Factor type of player, but if they are going to use him in that role then you need a Rb who is a running back to handle Bush's former duty with DTrain.

17. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    From what I'm seeing in my limited google search... I'm curious why that even matters?

From what I'm seeing, his contract ends after this year. We are well under the cap, and this move will not prevent us from making futher moves in the future for this season... and it shouldnt effect us making moves in the offseason for next year b/c his contract will no longer be on the books?

So I question why its such a bad thing to use a little more of the cap space we have for this year when it shouldnt have any negative effect in future years?

18. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The Dolphins were the only team to put in a claim for him, per PFT.

ckparrothead likes this.
  19. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    That's what I thought.

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because they guaranteed 1.2 million for a player who may not last 2 weeks, this was not a low cost/ high upside churn and burn FN.

21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    The issue is that there is that available cap space to begin with. They could have brought in low level free agents that actually had a chance of contributing to this team. Now, they are stuck with that available cap space, and are desperate for a RB. They pick up Slaton, who apparently was going to clear waivers (which I think was expected), and are paying him 1.2M when he's not even worth it. Its mismanaging the money and evaluating the free agent prospects IMO, which seems to have been a pattern here since Ireland and Gaine got those duties.

ckparrothead likes this.
  22. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

We're under the cap and unlikely to use it so I don't give a rats *** how much we are paying him tbh. Not my money. :)

23. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Disagree, it is indeterminant whether or not Slaton will pan out, and they have worked out Rb's over the last couple of weeks.

Slaton easily could have been the best FA rb available, whether he plays well determines whether or not this was a good move or a bad one.

24. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's still not worth the money.

ckparrothead likes this.
  25. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Remains to be seen, 13 games worth of pay, which pushes that below 1.2 million, if he produces what does the price tag matter?

26. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Are there any cheaper options available?

27. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

As a WVU fan, Im ecstatic about this signing. As a WVU fan....Im also scared crapless because I was ecstatic when we drafted Pat White...and we all know how that ended up!

ToddsPhins and ckparrothead like this.
  28. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    I guess my point is though... who cares? We cant roll over our cap savings to next year... so IMO, money not spent is money wasted. We still have 8mil or so in cap room left, that we have zero chance of spending this year... so whats the relevance?

29. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Well IMO thats a completely different conversation. I wouldnt disagree with that... but moving foward from today, what is the best moves we can make? I dont see adding Slaton's 1.2mil as any detriment to the team in terms of where we stand right now or moving forward.

30. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Ya, but again... who cares? Its not our money, and its not like this contract is preventing us from adding anyone else for this season. In the end... what does it really matter?

steveincolorado likes this.
  31. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    By Saturday, you're going to the news that the Dolphins signed another former Cowboy player...

32. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't understand how you can play both sides of this?

ckparrothead likes this.
  33. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Its not our team either but we still talk about it right?

I think it does matter personally. Speaks of their decision making and what status they are with their jobs. They are clearly desperate.

ckparrothead likes this.
  34. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Which of the following combinations would you rather have?

1. Daniel Thomas and Ahmad Bradshaw
    2. Daniel Thomas and Reggie Bush
    3. Daniel Thomas and Steve Slaton

The answer is pretty damn obvious. And the point being they shouldn't have ever traded for Reggie Bush in the first place. Now they've paid him more, and are paying Steve Slaton far more than he's worth, when they should've thrown the money at a proven runner in Ahmad Bradshaw in the first place. It's mismangement on the part of Jeff Ireland and Brian Gaine. Pure and simple.

35. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm not?

His salary was 1.2 millie, then I thought about it and realized he has already been paid for 3 games, which pushes his cost below 1.2 millie.

A base contract is what..500,000? Pro rated that would be around 900,000 for Slaton to what, 420k for say Sheets?

480k difference is not a huge deal in NFL money terms Alen, and Slaton is still quite young and has had success in the NFL before.

The real yardstick is of course, production, the man has been on the phins for less then 24 hrs so how dirt can be tossed on this move is a bit beyond me, if he scores TD's he will look cheap at that price.

36. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    So, in your opinion... we are a better football team moving forward from today w/o Slaton than we are with him?

B/c thats all that matters IMO. And I think we are. Now, if we were a better football team with Slaton BUT his contract was escalating on the books for the next 5 years... I'm with you. But its not and we are 0-3. We need to do what we can from this point forward to improve the team. And I think adding Slaton does make us a better team.

Now, HOW much better it makes us is obviously TBD. Hell, he could be cut next week. But I'd rather make this move at this point than do nothing, no?

37. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Uhm, yeah, think you are offbase on this one Alen, if you want to use Bush in roles outside of Rb, you have to bring in insurance and a co Rb type.

Which is Slaton, even then that does not mean he will work out here, it does mean he makes sense to acquire.

You should know this.

38. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Or: Daniel Thomas and Steve Slaton with Bush playing Wr and PR and some running back.

39. FinNasty

Dec 1, 2007
    Well, your point is that we shouldnt even be in this situation to begin with. And I get that... and I agree.

But we ARE in this situation. So, what can we do to best improve the current situation that we are in today moving foward? Thats where I think Slaton comes in...

40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Just my two cents on a couple of things:

1. It's kind of amazing how many people can be arguing with each other (and even with themselves, see VT's posts), and all of them be right!

2. One thing this shows is that Stephen Ross doesn't have some kind of freeze in spending in place where he directed Ireland to be $8 to $10 million under the cap, which I found preposterous to begin with. I don't know if Ireland cleared this move with Ross before making it, but does it matter? Either way Jeff Ireland apparently feels the total freedom to give $1.2 million to a guy that, as padre31 astutely pointed out, may last 3 weeks on the roster. I'm not 100% clear on whether his entire salary for the year is guaranteed by us or not, but I do know we're not allowed to cut him for the next 3 games. Jeff Ireland also felt the total freedom to guarantee Benny Sapp's $2 million salary by keeping him on roster Week 1, even though apparently it was a possibility that Sapp could be cut any time and replaced with Will Allen. Don't blame Jeff Ireland's negligence on Stephen Ross.

3. I agree with Alen on the issues this claiming spotlights, which is what Desides termed 'roster negligence' during the off season. You're now picking up a Steve Slaton and paying him $1.2 million. Why? Obvious. Because suddenly they realize people like me that criticized the Reggie Bush trade the whole way, since well before it was even rumored...MIGHT not have been crazy. And the money involved in this, could have been used to grab other, more solid free agents that could have bolstered this team...guys like Antwan Barnes who is only making $1.5 million in San Diego.

4. On the other hand, I think FinNasty has a point that if you already take it for granted that Jeff Ireland was/is incompetent at his job, and you already take it for granted that the Dolphins are paying for things he wrought, then what harm is there in paying $1.2 million of someone else's money, cap space that was just going to go to waste anyway, to roll the dice on Steve Slaton. In other words, given that you've struck out on Plans A thru Y, this is a decent Plan Z.

FinNasty likes this.