1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins coach happy his No. 1 was OT Jake Long

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Sceeto, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    http://www.freep.com/article/20090324/SPORTS01/90324042/1048

:D
    I love it! I couldn't agree more! :D
    That's great! That's the art of drafting, imo.

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I just love Sparano. He's so genuine, and straight-shooting, but still smart enough not to give up any of their draft-strategy.

And he coaches with such an intense love of the game and his players.

We have a great coach. Now let's hope we can keep his staff intact if we keep winning.

3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I think that at least 3/4 of the Dolphin fans are happy with the pick as well. He's definately an example of the type of athlete and character guy this FO wants.:up:

Sceeto likes this.
  4. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    im pretty sure you just inadvertently called 25% of Dolphins fans idiots.

opfinistic and Georgia Fin like this.
  5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    The thing that gets me is the other night the Dolphins were "on the clock" on sportscenter. During the entire five minute segment there was not a single player named that we may have intentions of drafting. It was just Trent Dilfer and Mort talking about how lucky the team is to have had Chad Pennington fall into their laps. And then Mel Kiper (God how I hate Kiper and McShay. They're both arrogant **** heads) spent the last minute and a half of the segment talking about how Jake Long wasn't the right pick because of Matt Ryan. Then continued on to say that Chad Henne will forever be compared to Ryan. I don't think that's fair though. You can't compare #3 overall with #46 overall. If anything Long should be compared with Ryan and since Long has already started 16 games, given up I think 3 sacks, been flagged I think twice and been to the pro bowl...I'm happy with the pick.

I would have rather gotten Long at #1, Merling at #32, Henne at #46 and had Pennington fall in our lap than take Ryan at #1, a lesser OT at 32, whomever at #46 and pass on Pennington. It was indeed a bit of serendipity that landed the team in such a great position last year, but no one can deny that we went from a 1-15 team to an 11-5 team. And when a team does that, should anyone really be questioning the moves they made on draft day?

charlestonphan and Sceeto like this.
  6. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    I'm sure some would have still liked to have Ryan, but you can't please everyone.:lol:

charlestonphan likes this.
  7. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    Yeah, I've heard that we "should've taken Ryan" argument before. But, you have summed it up quite well. And, I couldn't agree more. I think it worked out very well for us too. Besides, Kiper's an idiot.

On a sidenote, I was just watching Total Access on NFLN (a much better network for NFL coverage IMO), and Charley Casserly was assessing this year's class of OT's, starting with Jason Smith (whom many consider the top lineman in this year's draft class). And, when he was done, Rod Woodson asked him how he would compare him to Big Jake, and Casserly didn't even hesitate. He said he would take Long over every lineman in this year's draft. He talked about how he's a far better run blocker than Jason Smith, about how physical he is, his toughness, his character. Basically, he put Long on another level as compared to all the lineman in this year's draft. It made me smile.

Trowa, cnc66 and Sceeto like this.
  8. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there

:lol:

9. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I was estatic when they named Long as the Dolphin's No# 1 pick. This team has struggled for years trying to find a franchise left tackle. It seemed like Miami was doomed to never have a legitimate "franchise" left tackle. Its fitting that this group (Parcells, Ireland and Sparano) wood make the first pick of their first draft Jake Long. With this teams struggles in the past, it was obvious that the offensive line was one of the key areas that had been neglected over the years and it really showed. A very nice piece has been added to the foundation of the Dolphin's offensive line for years to come.

Sceeto likes this.
  10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    "With all the characteristics we need in a football player to become a miami dolphin"......

Respect it!

Sceeto likes this.
  11. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    "If they want you to cook the dinner, at least they ought to let you shop for some of the groceries"

The meal is coming together nicely mr. Parcells :D

Sceeto likes this.
  12. brparkway

brparkway Season Ticket Holder

Dec 16, 2007
    Roanoke, VA. U.S.
    ESPN is basically the E-Entertainment Channel of sports. I've rarely seen any informative analysis about the NFL, mostly just "star" gossip. If you want to know what T.O. did in the last 5 seconds, they're right on it.

13. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    QFT

ESPN used to be a 24 hour network dedicated to sports coverage. ESPN is now a 24 hour network dedicated to ESPN coverage.