1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins@Colts post game threeadd

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Disgustipate, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I know it's just a bump in the track on the train to the fellation station, but I love seeing that goony *** neckbeard Andrew Luck lose. Especially to the Dolphins.

Ryan Tannehill had a pretty good game, but it seems like at least on the information we have he hasn't quite made a major jump. The major difference is that his weapons are helping him out more. I think he's pretty safely a Matt Schaub quality kind of guy, but he needs work on his placement and his pocket presence especially. God that was maddening at times today.

The run game was nice, but I've got the suspicion that Lamar Miller is an excellent by-committee back rather than a feature back, that should be splitting carries with a guy.

Mike Wallace had a quality game, and I liked that he did the fundamental stuff pretty well. I doubt he's ever going to be a great player in that regard, but he's been at least solid when it comes to the bread and butter. But he made the plays he was brought here for as well this week.

Charles Clay has gone from a guy who was written off(too early) to a guy who may potentially be the solution to the position. He's still got his warts, but so far he's been as good as I'd hoped Dustin Keller would have been.

The offensive line is still a mixed bag, but the run blocking was much improved and Tannehill had time to throw despite the sacks. There are mistakes being made, but they're not being mitigated nearly as well as they could be either.

I'm not a great Paul Soliai fan, but he was playing well this year and I hate to see him go down. I do hope the error of Randall Kheeston's release will be reverse with this, though.

The defensive line wasn't particularly good vs. a suspect Colts offensive line today. Cameron Wake wasn't a big factor against a good RT, Andrew Luck had a pretty clear pocket.

I love how frequently that Dion Jordan has gotten to the quarterback this early in his career(and with a shoulder injury to boot). I just hate what he does when he gets to the quarterback. The ****?

Phillip Wheeler had a heck of a performance today, even without that game winning snap.

Two games in and I think our FA swap of linebackers looks pretty good. They're not as good in the run game, but they've made a conscious decision to shift their defense, and it's been working so far. There's very much a trade-off, and I think giving up tight end yardage is a downside of that. So far I'd take the tradeoff, though.

Brent Grimes looks like he's pretty well back to what he was at Atlanta at this point, and should be given a longer term contract. The guy is just ridiculous physically.

Jimmy Wilson had not so good a game, just like last year vs. the Colts.

Chris Clemons I think is making a push as well to lock his position down longer term. He looks like he's taken a little bit away from Reshad Jones, who isn't playing all that amazing right now.

Caleb Sturgis has some range.

2. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    I called out Sherman for a crappy called game last week and this week was MUCH better. The only mistake was the QB sneak. Otherwise he had me guessing on some plays. Tannehill was laser sharp to start the game, but he was ratteled there in the 3rd qtr with 2 fumbles on consecqutive posessions. After seing that dart to Clay inbetween two receivers, hey I'm a believer. Grimes, man I was calling the D to hold on to one of Cro Magnon Mans errant throws considering we dropped of his 3 int's last year and Grimes finally came through.

3. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I guess you could say Miller is a good committee back if he's leading the committee.

He needed to get at least another series or two today, imo.

Ducken and mbsinmisc like this.
  4. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    not sure why Tannehill has to make a major jump. He's definitely made significant progress IMO. You're assuming that he's approaching his ceiling if you're labeling him as Matt Schaub. I'm optimistic that his ceiling is much higher than Matt Schaub's. whether he achieves it or not will be interesting to see by season's end.

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

His pocket presence, maddening or not, was improved today.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You thought his ball placement was poor? Every pass won't be a completion. That pass to Clay was the best placed ball I've seen by a Dolphin QB in my life.

Mile High Fin, ssmiami and dolfan22 like this.
  7. Bpk

And, by the way, if we are saying a guy hasn't made the jump by his 38th start (college AND pro combined), then we may not be appreciating just how quickly this kid is really developing.

High ceiling, imo.

How will he look by his 4th year?

8. Bpk

I think he had a lot of good ball placement today, and a few notably poor ones too. Like the deep ball to Wallace that could have been a TD. Or a little flare out to Lamar that had Lamar diving to make the catch for a loss.

I wouldn;t say he had poor placement, overall, today though.

Alex44 likes this.
  9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I didn't find that poor. Not perfect, but not poor. If you watch the play again there is a safety looming over top. If he wings it further Wallace might get clocked and not even catch the ball. He could have thrown it a bit further, but in that situation I'll take the 100% guaranteed completion.

Bpk and dolfan22 like this.
  10. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

No mention of the perfect throw to clay on the 67 yard play? That showed me a lot.

PhinsRock likes this.
  11. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I'm not saying Tannehill won't make a major jump or there is a specific time period for it, that's where he is IMO.

Not necessarily today, but in general from what we've seen of him since last year.

12. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Tannehill needs to use his legs more. Gotta improve his pocket awareness first, though.

Bpk, rafael, Bumrush and 1 other person like this.
  13. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    That is a bit confusing to me. Every QB should try and improve their placement, but this year so far I haven't seen many poor ones. Even his INT against the Browns wasn't due to that. Of course last year it wasn't great you're right, but he was a rookie with no weapons after all.

I think I've seen a huge jump in his play. Not to say he is entirely there yet, but I'd have a LOT more questions about Luck if I only saw the first two games of this season.

Agree with the rest of your post though, good write up.

JMHPhin likes this.
  14. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    anyone seen heath evans ? ray rice rushed for 36 yards on 13 carries....and baltimore barely beat cleveland 14-6 on their super bowl win opener...these are 2 quality wins

Ducken and Fin-Omenal like this.
  15. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

The pass rush by the colts improved early in the 2nd half, and they kept Thomas in there even tho his blocking was suspect... He was a part of both "fumbles"... If you call that first one a fumble...

16. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    Donald Thomas for the Colts really can't stay healthy can he?

17. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Lotsa good points there. My only thing is, I thought I noticed Indy putting an overload of guys on the line several times there, as well as several guys chipping. We didn't make them pay with secondary play/interceptions.

Luck is good, but he looked REALLY good today. We're pretty bad at covering tight ends...but I've watched several other games, and it would appear most teams are in the same boat. TEs are looking all-world.

Colorado Dolfan and Stitches like this.
  18. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    wheeler and ellerbe combine for 26 tackles and a sack

19. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    I dont know what some people are looking at. Sometimes I think they want to a be a qb expert so bad they find things to be critical of for the sake of showing how smart they are

The defense finally started gettin pressure on Luck but Tannehill had alot of pressure all game. He played well, the offense played well and teh defense played well when they needed it.

Matt Moore is a great back up, we didnt get Luck or RGIII, we have a very good qb that can be elite, lets enjoy being 2-0 instead of trying find ways to tear a Phin players game down

mroz and mbsinmisc like this.
  20. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    there was the one read option play that i saw and he handed the ball off and had the whole left side of the field to himself.
    he did misread the coverage on that one.

Bpk likes this.
  21. 54Fins

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    i agree they were solid this game. i also believe they are a better fit to this D then their replacements.

22. Rick 1966

Rick 1966 Professional Hipshooter

Nov 23, 2007
    Powell, WY
    I was pretty happy with what I saw out of Tannehill today, but I feel like he's too hesitant to run and make something from nothing rather than taking a sack. I think at least a couple of the sacks he took could have been avoided.

BlameItOnTheHenne, Bumrush and mroz like this.
  23. 54Fins

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    we didn't have enough pass rush to get in his face today. he looked alright but we held them in check and that was the gameplane, imo.
    did he get it done in the 4th quarter? No...
    Tanny looked better than him this game and won the game to boot. A big step for him and the team as a whole.

24. PhinFan1968

Oh I'm most definitely glad we got the win, I'll take 'em however I can get 'em, but he was shredding with his TEs (probably a dead horse, but it gets old).

25. 54Fins

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    What hurts is giving up yards to TE's for over a decade. A problem that seems to haunt us.....:sad:

26. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It very well could have been just a called handoff with a QB roll out after. I didn't even see him try to read the end. You could be right however. Its hard to tell.

27. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Disagree. He flings it where he hits Wallace in stride he's past the safety. The only reason the safety is in the frame is because Wallace has to stop for the ball. There was still space in the NE shoulder of Wallace to lead him. Either way it's a completion which is good. But it could have been better (and another TD for Tanny/Wallace).

Bpk, Mainge, Alex44 and 1 other person like this.
  28. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    A further pass also has a higher trajectory and hangs longer.

Again as I said it definitely could have been thrown better, but the way it was thrown is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I'm not convinced Wallace didn't score anyway.

29. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Wow. Nothing wrong w/ that.

30. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

So , a BIG road win where 17 beats Luck head to head but where RT wasn't perfect? No interceptions , 100 + QB rating , 300 plus yards , comeback win ,I'll take that for game 2 season 2.

Fin-Omenal and Bpk like this.
  31. PhinFan1968

Fun tidbit...65% chance to make the playoffs if you start 2-0.

3-0 bumps that to over 75%.

cuchulainn and Bpk like this.
  32. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    2 jets games, 2 bills games, 1 against TB, Carolina, Steelers,

those are just the games we should win.

We can beat cincy and SD too. If the pats keep up their play from this week, wooo boy...

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  33. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

I think he is definitely trending upwards on the way to that major jump. I think its impossible to say he has made it...two games into the season.

Bpk likes this.
  34. PhinFan1968

:pointlol:

Ya but the Pats won't keep up their current play...no way possible...unless Marcia goes down for the season.

SD has looked pretty decent so far, kinda surprised, but I don't pay much attention to that division.

35. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    honestly, it sounds like Amendola is a walking injury report. (torn hip muscle AND a hernia, jesus) Gronk will help definitely but how much? No welker, no lloyd, no hernandez is showing.

36. evz

evz Feral Druid Club Member

Look what our TE did to them today :)

mcdave21 likes this.
  37. PhinFan1968

Gronk and their next TE will light us up...I have no doubt.

38. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Tannehill's placement on throws is fine. He completed 67% of his throws today and had a rating of around 107 (without the sacks factored in). Where I still see a need to improve is getting rid of the all in a timely fashion. I know he wants to hang in there and make a play, but he needs to have an internal alarm clock that goes off to either fire the ball away or take off running. A few of those sacks were completely on him. Also, he had three fumbles today. That needs to be cleaned up.

But everything else was good to great. Tannehill has improved tremendously and I believe his best days are ahead of him, which is highly encouraging, obviously.

The running game and Mike Wallace were statistically better than week one after the first offensive series. In fact, everyone on offense was better than week one with maybe the exception of Hartline and Gibson. Even they contributed though and it is nice to have weapons for RT to choose from.

Defense was...okay. The non sacks of Luck were forehead slap inducing and we continue to struggle against pass catching tight ends, but I think at this point, we are going to have to just grin and bear it.

Not sure what possessed Standford to down that punt when it clearly had more yardage to roll. The extra room gave Indy the space needed to run long developing pass plays which led to them scoring a TD before the half. He may have cost himself a job with that one.

And someone check Chris Clemons's phone records and see if he spoke to Sean Smith this week. Right. In. The. Hands.

cuchulainn and dolfan22 like this.
  39. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Okay, now that I'm back, here is a brief summary of my journey to Indy and notes from the game. First, let me preface that I kept myself to a 4 pre-game beer limit. The high school team I help coach has lost back-to-back games on missed extra points, 21-20 and 7-6 in respective weeks. We're 0-3 as we blew a 34-27 fourth quarter lead in our first game and lost 41-34. Needless to say, I needed some beers as it was my week to opponent scout, and of all weeks I had a Saturday night game. And to boot, our starting QB broke his foot; no word on how long he's out...

Anyways. After arriving in Indy and a few beers, we mingled around the outside of Lucas Oil Stadium, hereafter, simply the Drum. Let me just say, out of all the NFL stadiums (Lambeau, Reliant, Solider Field, Paul Brown Stadium, Sun Life, and whatever the dump in Oakland is called) I've been to, it's the best by far. I'd visit it for any other event, like the Final Four, Super Bowl, etc. it's great, and it's great for tailgaiting. If I were to make a perfect stadium, I'd take a mix of the Drum and the Seahawks place and call it home. As for my game notes. Just for reference, I was sitting in the endzone between the goal posts...but on the end of the field opposite where all the points were scored other than field goals. So, that being the case with my vantage point, some things may seem off. Just FYI.

Good:
    - Ryan Tannehill was on fire to start the game and I really thought Sherman did a nice job dialing up plays in the 1st quarter.
    - Tannehill's ball placement was on point today, and he really seems to read the field better.
    - Lamar Miller ran well and found some nice holes. He really does turn on an extra gear when he's decisive. His pass-pro was good except for 1 play that I saw.
    - Daniel Thomas, while not as good at finding holes, ran hard and provided good pass-pro today.
    - Mike Wallace's speed is noticeable. Pretty good game today. Indy did a lot to prevent him from getting deep; not sure if you could tell that from TV.
    - Brian Hartline has magic feet near the sideline and he's very quick in and out of his cuts.
    - Interesting to note both Dion Sims and Charles Clay started. Sims did a nice job blocking and I believe had a HUGE block on Miller's TD run. (Opposite my endzone).
    - Charles Clay had a really nice day catching passes and was alright in run-blocking. I think the more they use him as a move TE, the better.
    - Mike Pouncey is an absolute beast. I'd lock him up before his contract year.
    - Jonathan Martin went pretty unnoticed, as did Incognito, but Tyson Clabo struggled.
    - The pass-rush really seems to be effective (more on this later though). Cameron Wake had a "quiet" game, but Indy chipped and/or doubled him constantly.
    - Randy Starks was better as an interior rusher today than Jared Odrick was. I still think he and Soliai are the best overall duo Miami throws out there.
    - Miami ran more diverse fronts today. They ran Under (way more than last week) Over, Bear Fronts, the "speed" package, and they had some interesting shaded fronts.
    - Koa Misi is pretty good, but Dannell Ellerbe and Philip Wheeler stole the show today. Good job by both of them, except for one point I'll mention later.
    - Chris Clemons should be locked up before Brent Grimes. He's really coming into his own as a FS.
    - Reshad Jones had some tough assignments thrown at him today, and that's why I think you may not have noticed him as much.
    - In the second half, Jones was up on the LOS a lot more than the first half to help on Fleener and in run support. He was essentially an extra edge defender which allowed Ellerbe and Wheeler to make more plays. This was when Miami went to a bear front with Vernon playing inside of Anthony Castonzo (made a big difference in run defense).
    - Derrick Shelby should continue to see more snaps.
    - Dion Jordan makes an impact on special teams and when he's in the game.
    - Nolan Carroll had a good day.
    - Caleb Sturgis' names should be spelled $turgi$ from now on.

Bad:
    - Ryan Tannehill's pocket presence still leaves you scratching your head at times.
    - The coaching staff seems hell-bent on alternating Miller and Thomas ever 2 possessions. This needs to stop. Miller is better. Period.
    - Brandon Gibson really struggled to beat the jam in the slot against whoever that nickel CB was.
    - Tyson Clabo struggled with Corey Redding and Robert Mathis today.
    - Olivier Vernon had his lunch money taken several times by Anthony Castonzo, especially on the toss sweeps to the Colts' left. He was not his usual self today, especially when playing a 5 technique. When he was shaded inside, he did better. I think Derrick Shelby may start eating some of his snaps, just a hunch.
    - Ellerbe and Wheeler had trouble getting off 1-on-1 blocks today (Hugh Thornton is really good), especially in the first half. That changed when Reshad Jones was put in the box in the 2nd half. If you take away Luck's 38 running yards, Miami held Indy under 100 yards rushing...I was surprised the Colts only had 133 rushing yards as a team.
    - Brent Grimes is inconsistent. Yeah, he made two really nice plays on the ball and got an INT and a deflection, but he had more help today than Nolan Carroll did. That said, Will Davis should take notes on Grimes' run-support. I imagine he'll have a tough go of it next week.
    - Dion Jordan obviously had a WTF moment on a potential sack.
    - Jimmy Wilson is not mean to be in the slot. Hurry back Patterson and Jamar Taylor. Patterson, by the way, must have been an active scratch. He was in uniform, but you could see a VERY noticeable limp of him on the sideline; hope it's not serious.

Bizzare:
    - Miami gave up on the run way to early and too often today.
    - What happened on Wake's near sack where Luck got away and ran for a first down? From my vantage point, it looked like someone fell on Wake's legs had he got Luck in the grasp, but I couldn't tell. Anyone have a better view on TV?
    - Paul Soliai had his knee wrapped in ice after his injury, but stood on the sideline and was walking around without trouble. Hyperextension? I couldn't see from my seat what really happened, and they didn't show a replay in the stadium.
    - Did Caleb Sturgis come up short on the first attempt before half when they iced him? I don't think he did, but several Colts fans behind me said he did and weren't happen when he made the 2nd one.
    ***DJ, don't read the next line***
    - The stadium nachos were actually decent.
    - The roof was open, obviously, and it was decently hot. Nothing as bad as Miami, but annoying all day; definitely don't sit in the open endzone (with the window) if you go. You're in the sun all day if the roof is open.
    - One of my college friends is Colts cheerleader; didn't know that.

All in all, it's great to be 2-0, especially with what figure to be three challenging opponents coming up before the bye. I'd say Miami overall offensively, were better than they were against the Browns, but giving up on the run the way they did bothers me slightly. Defensively, they're certainly not as physical at the LB level as they were last year, but you can see where Ellerbe and Wheeler make up for it. Hopefully Paul Soliai isn't dinged too badly, as our run defense needs him. I still don't get why Randy Starks doesn't start over Jared Odrick; I really don't, but Miami's been effective. It was good seeing them mix in a lot more fronts today.

For those that read my review of the Cleveland game, Miami did a lot more strength-based alignments with Koa Misi, Philip Wheeler, and Reshad Jones than they did last week. I'd expect that to continue against at Atlanta to help them matchup better with Tony Gonzalez. Kevin Coyle still calls blitzes a little too wildly for my taste, but he did a better job with help deep this week than last. That said, Miami gets burned a lot when their blitzes are picked up (Jimmy Wilson is a big part of that, and was especially today). Miami did get their hands on quite a few passes and had some chances for more turnovers (Clemons, Wheeler, and I think Olivier Vernon all had shots).

Great win, and hopefully Miami gets some more secondary depth back for next week; they'll need it. Go Dolphins! I'm now 1-0 in attendance at the drum and raised my all-time record to 6-5 attending Miami games (6-4 at Miami road games).

40. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    - Did Caleb Sturgis come up short on the first attempt before half when they iced him? I don't think he did, but several Colts fans behind me said he did and weren't happen when he made the 2nd one.

No. made it with ease, dead center.