1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins draft class seems to have to starters

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by EverFin, May 23, 2014.

1. EverFin

EverFin Active Member

Apr 23, 2014
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Chris Perkins thinks "there could be room on this year's team for a third rookie draftee, aside from James and Turner, to become a starter. And it could be at wide receiver, linebacker, cornerback or free safety".
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-dolphins-0523-20140522,0,29848.story

Man I'd love to hear news, that for the second time after 1996 a young fifth-round draft pick just comes in and makes play after play as a rookie Linebacker and will be named starter.

SMOKE and Pandarilla like this.
  2. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    I don't see it happening at WR, unless a trade happens, or Hartline isn't 100%. Actually, I think LB (Tripp) is pretty much the only other position besides OL that a rookie might start in, barring injuries (knock on wood).

3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Two immediate starters from any draft class is a good result. If one of the other guys can develop into one in a few seasons, then its a really good class. Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor only come around so often, and Zach was a really unusual case. He was a superstar in college. Won tons of awards. As a high school kid at the time, I absolutely loved him when he was at Texas Tech. I was really, really pumped when we drafted him, and even then had no idea he'd be as awesome as he ended up being.

In this year's class, our highest picks other than the OL are in really deep positions where they have a big, uphill battle for playing time. Add to that the fact that Philbin doesn't seem to want to play rookies unless he has to, and it would be shocking if they got starting spots. 2016 for a few of them would be a major sucess.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think corner is a possiblity with two guys who didn't play much coming back and Finnegan an unknown.

5. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Possible, but I'd think a healthy Taylor and Davis would be higher up in the depth chart than Aikens, unless either he blows up in training camp or they completely tank along with Finnegan.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  6. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Said this right after the draft: Hickey clearly prioritized offensive guys who could contribute day one.

Hickey wants to help Tannehill RIGHT NOW so we can truly know by the end of the year whether he is the guy. No more excuses about receivers, protection, or coordinators (this year's excuse will be that we can't run the ball :wink2:).

Two other reasons for taking day-1 contributors is that Philbin's job is on the line, and that last year none of our picks played big roles, which fans were a little miffed about. So here Hickey used the top 3 picks on need positions with plug-em-in types including a receiver who is fairly polished albeit with physical limitations.

7. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think Hickey is going to get a little lucky too. Because of the rookie injuries last year, he's got what is similar to an extra 3 high draft picks this year in Jordan, Taylor & Thomas. In fact, I think Taylor & Jordan will be starters and Thomas will be solid depth.

8. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    If I were searching for a third starter, I would also include the UDFA Darkwa. RB is a position that often produces starters out of dark horses. RB is now a committee position, that is prone to injury. Other than Knowshon, I doubt anybody is locked in. If Hickey really wanted to help RT right now with offensive guys that could help right now, then he probably should have brought in a another draft back. But failing that, Darkwa is probably the back with the best shot. I'm not a huge fan of his or anything, but he flashes some on film. I can't say the same about Williams.

Pandarilla likes this.
  9. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I think a "really good class" depends on where these guys are at 2-3 years from now. Having a couple of immediate starters in places where there are huge holes probably says more about the state of the team than it does the rookies. Now if these guys take the job and run with it, then we've got something to hang our hats on.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think the advantage Davis and Taylor have is a year learing the system and practicing in it while healthy. Ability wise I think Aiken is right up there with them. I think Finnegan is the wildcard here.

11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think Jordan Tripp has a chance, he may not be all polished up but there's somethin about him that looks right.

12. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    Not when you're a brand new GM and you see that the head coach's job is on the line this year. Hickey and Philbin will help themselves immensely if the picks are day one contributors.

13. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If we run a lot of 12 personnel on offense, there is a chance for Lynch to move ahead of Sims and Egnew and be paired with Clay in the starting lineup.

14. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I would love to see that tape. Everything I have seen, he looks, O.K. at best.

15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Fin D brings up a good point about the players from the 2013 rookie class essentially being "redshirted" last year. I'd like to think that Dion Jordan overtakes Olivier Vernon at some point this year, and based on Cortland Finnegan's play the past two season, I really hope Jamar Taylor is able to beat him out. That's the one baffling move of this offseason thus far IMO. I would like to see more of Jelani Jenkins, Dion Sims, and Will Davis as well.

Fin D likes this.
  16. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Thank you for wording that better then i did.

What would you charge to follow me around the board and translate my thoughts better and succinctly? Hahahaha

17. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I think James will probably turn out to be the only starter from this group in 2014. Perhaps some of the other draftees will eventually become starters over the next few years, but I just don't see it happening this season.

Philbin's job, as well as the jobs of all the other coaches are on the line this year. Philbin has shown since he has been in Miami that he really doesn't like to give many rookies a lot of playing time once the regular season begins. I think he will tend to give the edge to the veterans this season and only play the rookies more often if the season gets away from him, later in the year.

18. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Ha, no charge. If anyone needs posts worded more succinctly, it's me.

Fin D likes this.
  19. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    Not necessarily. Like I said, they need to take the job and run with it. Being an immediate starter will mean little to Hickey and Philbin if these guys can't offer much more than Jonathan Martin did.

20. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    There's a halfway decent chance that JaWuan James is the only starter from the group. Billy Turner has a lot of potential but as an FCS player he's making a big jump to the NFL and now he's making that jump to a different position. That will take time. I think he could and probably should start but wouldn't be at all shocked if he didn't.

I would however be surprised if any of the other picks started. Jarvis Landry will probably claim a semi-starter type role as the #3 wide receiver but even that will be determined by Gibson's health.

21. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I actually agree on Turner but I'm not sure we have a guard who can hold down the fort until Turner is up to speed and also be better than what Turner provides from the start.

22. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If I were to bet money on whether or not Turner starts on opening day, barring injury I'd bet he does.

23. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

All this "Taylor and Thomas" in the same sentence is getting me teary-eyed.

Fin D likes this.