1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins draft Juwan James...looks like Hickey is just like Ireland, a need drafter

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LBsFinest, May 8, 2014.

1. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    I'm OK with the pick, I'm just upset that it appears we had a chance to move down and get more valuable ammo in this deep draft.

If their conviction was that James gets picked before our trade down, then I guess I cannot be upset.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

2. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    He did? Can post that? I must have missed that. I saw a little blurb on the team website, but didn't seem like a real solid truth. Just GM speak. Thanks.

3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Exactly, and protecting the QB is a fairly important need, a painful lesson for Ryan Tannehill last season.

What's unfortunate is that every time this new kid misses a block there will be a chorus of snide remarks about how we could have had skill position player X. He hasn't even seen seen a practice field yet and a size able portion of the fan base already have their gavels out.

4. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    let that sink in you all.

5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Re watch all of Rts 58 sacks last season first...let that sink in

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

PhinFan1968 and MAFishFan like this.
  6. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

You said OLINE is now a strength , so if it actually isn't , there are no more excuses?

7. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Omar Kelly quoted Hickey stating they had offers to trade down, you can find it on his twitter.

8. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    There will be excuses galore when we aren't scoring touchdowns because we don't have a single red zone threat and are relying on Clay who is barely a seam threat to be that guy.

9. vt_dolfan

Oh by the way ..James pulled Hickey aside and implored that they bring him to Miami. This kid wanted to play in Miami.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

10. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I'm not going to pretend to know enough about this guy to be mad about the pick at this point. It was boring and made for a pretty ****ty draft night, but it filled a position of need, and hopefully he'll have no problem starting at RT and not embarrass himself. If he can do that we can't be too furious about the pick. Time will tell what the opportunity costs of playing it safe were. Now let's see if Hickey can get a guy in the 2nd round who can contribute anything on the football field. Something Ireland was never able to do.

Sceeto likes this.
  11. BayAreaFinFan

BayAreaFinFan D'oh Club Member

Jul 20, 2010
    San Francisco
    I'm ok with this pick. They have to keep Tannehill upright. Sure, it was a reach but they were sort of stuck between a rock and a hard place sitting at 19. Maybe the offers to trade back weren't appealing enough to pull the trigger. I don't mind seeing them draft for needs, we've all seen this organization ignore needs and have it bite us in the a$$.

PhinFan1968 and MAFishFan like this.
  12. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

That would be cool if he did , where is this verified?

13. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    I do too. But...right now we are "wrong" until dj proves us right. (He will).

14. vt_dolfan

dolfan22 and ChrisKo like this.
  15. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    58/= 11.something

So lets say James plays amazing his rookie season and only allows 6 sacks all year. You're saving Tannehill from 5 sacks, if you adjust for the fact that he is playing RT its probably closer to 8-9 sacks you are saving Tannehill from, is that worth the 19th overall pick and passing on more talented players? Not in my opinion.

13Machine8385 likes this.
  16. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Allen Robinson, Troy Niklas, ASj, Jace, Jeremy hill, Carlos Hyde, tre mason, lache, moncrief. Well have some choices bros. We didn't get the exciting pick, but it was a smart, solid pick that was an absolute need and will protect our main asset. Plus, the sooner we find out if tannehill is a bust, the better, which isn't possible to conclude if he's getting sacked 60 times.

17. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I mentioned what I found and that's probably what Omar the Great is referring to. Not much.

18. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    ASJ please!!!

19. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    He'll ya it's worth it when you consider ****ty RT play cost us at least two games this season (Bal and Buff). We win one of those two and we are in the playoffs. We were a competent RT away from being a playoff team.

James can also help in run blocking, which will be awesome for Tanny and the offense. There are still some damn good WR's left and obviously every runningback. I loved the pick. Got our biggest need out of the way opening up more options for us the next 6 rounds.

EDIT: RT = right tackle (not Ryan Tannehill)

Sceeto likes this.
  20. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Or think about it this way: we have an RT that can slow up Mario Williams on one extra play last year and we beat the Bills in the first game and make the playoffs. James has more of an impact than any other player we could've chosen there.

21. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    The way the draft played out I'm happy with the pick. Now we can go BPA for the rest of the draft. We simply had to have a starting caliber player on our oline this draft, period. James is our RT barring injury. Is that boring? Maybe but we need a RT and he fills a huge hole on the roster.

22. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    If he cuts Clabo's in half he will have saved us from 5.5 sacks, 5 QB hits and around 15 pressures. Hickey/Philbin are stressing he can handle DE's 1 on 1 which means he won't need the TE help that Clabo did either.

Seriously are you that caught by surprise we went OL when this team started out needing 4 OL to start the offseason. The Bears supposedly reached further last year with thier selection of Kyle Long who was taken with the 20th last year (and he was considered a bigger reach then James is). Right now being in the same position as the Bears were last year..this team has done a better job of filling the spots so far. The only thing I can slam Hickey for is not taking that trade down...but anyone surprised by the selection of OL in the first should give their head a shake. It's been obvious for months they would go there.

23. jpep13

jpep13 Coach Of The Year Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Well if Hickey wanted Shazier and he threw the phone across the room when he got picked at #15 and Philbin wanted O-line, they are not on the same page?

24. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    does anyone have Hickey's number? I want to let him know that I would like to play for the Phins as well...

25. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Huh?

26. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm more upset we didn't take the trade down. The value we got was pretty poor. Also felt there were better players on the board.

27. bran

bran Senior Member

Dec 20, 2007
    New Hampshire
    thought this was pretty good.

"He played right tackle, but can play guard. The more tape I watch of this kid, the more I like him. Obviously, Miami likes him better than Cyrus Kounadjio (of Alabama) or Xavier Su'a-Filo (of UCLA). Day 1 he's going to be a starter as Miami rebuilds that offensive line." -- Mike Mayock

28. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Yah I'm not a fan of not taking that 3rd rounder. There's going to be some good solid talent there. I can't fault them for going OL though. Not with the situtation they were in. Luckily James looks like he'll be a better player then Carey was. Between James and Smith our right side run blocking should be tremendously improved.

29. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Hell yes. Would prefer Niklas but would love either.

not gonna lie, 7 spatens deep had me wanting Johnny football just for the excitement.

30. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Yeah, Niklas is my my second choice at TE. Never would want Johnny football, but that's just me. Peace!

31. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Sucks. Wish they at least did round 2 tonight as well.

dWreck likes this.
  32. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Roger wants to move it to a 4 day schedule. Better watch out. Pretty soon Roger will milk out the entire first round into 3 hour daily draft events where the first round takes the entire month of May ;p

Sceeto likes this.
  33. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    This is a negative for Hickey, imo. Safe pick who will probably protect Tanny well enough but he brings very little to the run game. I would've taken Deone Bucannon...I envision Cooks absolutely shredding things up in New Orleans...but whatever. This is what happens when you enter the draft with a massive hole. Hopefully tomorrow will be more fun.

34. TooGoodForDez

TooGoodForDez Deion Sanders for GM

Feb 26, 2013
    busted pick

35. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    I have no issue with who but where....

The following two picks were traded, there was a run on defensive backs coming, and the quarterbacks were still there.

We could have moved down, grabbed an extra pick. Hell, maybe moved twice.

This is why we continue to be 8-8.

36. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Read that but wondered if he did that w/ every GM he spoke w/. :lol:

Not true. Reach, true.

37. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    The Fins had Ebron lasting longer and they were VERY HIGH on him. They expected a shot at him at #19.

Their board was damn near perfect except for a Detroit reach (in their opinion). That threw their board off a little.

Otherwise, the guys that built their board did a very good job.

unluckyluciano and dirtywhiteboy like this.
  38. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    You think them being high on Ebron means they may seriously target Amaro round 2?

39. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    Thanks. Hopefully that board will work well for us the next two days.

40. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If many of the players we draft, pan out, then i don't care about the potential "rookie" mistake of not getting more picks and still getting your guy.

I think its odd, that we forgive rookie players for making rookie mistakes, but we never do that with rookie owners, rookie HCs or rookie GMs.

ssmiami and MAFishFan like this.